Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Oh yeah. Guess we'll never know what Black Sky was all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Chakram posted:

Oh yeah. Guess we'll never know what Black Sky was all about.

It's either Iron Fist foreshadowing, Defenders foreshadowing, or a plot hook for a later season of daredevil (which has been already confirmed for next year). It's pretty likely we'll find out what the deal was there soon enough.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wolpertinger posted:

Those seemed more like just low-level gangsters working for the Hand instead of genuine Hand ninjas.

Possibly, but Wilson only promised to keep attention away from the docks, he didn't supply any men to protect Black Sky or anything going by the argument he and Nobu have following Stick's killing of the kid. The inference is he brought his own people in on the ship to protect the crate. I don't know if that's boldly stated anywhere in the show, but if there's a ship coming over from Asia to America with a valuable package on it, why would they not have some of their own men on the ship to protect it?

All the guys on the docks with Nobu in that scene are Asian heavies dressed the same as he normally dresses, and including how he's dressed in that scene. I suppose Nobu may have hired some Yakuza himself or something to help protect it, but if the delivery was that important, why not use Hand ninjas instead? It just seems to make more sense that even the Hand have low rent guys that aren't as well trained or equipped as the higher echelons, both because it gives a reason for them to have expendable mooks when they become a larger presence in things later on and because it just makes sense logically that not everyone is going to be of the same caliber within the organization.

An interesting thing I realized after skimming the episode though is that when Matt asks Stick why he's in Hell's Kitchen, Stick replies that it's because of the "never-ending war", and that it's "for now, the Japanese, mostly". On it's own that doesn't really mean anything, but Stick referring to a never-ending war with a group that are mostly Japanese at the moment but has other possible foes could be taken as him talking about the conflict between the various cities of heaven. Especially with Stone talking about doors opening later in the episode. I'm probably just seeing what I want to see though, because I'm really hoping the Chaste/Hand are folded in to that whole mythos within the MCU, since it just makes sense to do so given their similarity in terms of how they operate, their look and so on.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 26, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

Stick and Matt beat up multiple ninjas when trying to stop Black Sky though didn't they? Matt did most of it on his own even. Nobu really gave Matt a run for his money, but he was probably reasonably high on the skill/authority ladder within the Hand and not every Hand member is going to be on his level.

It's the Law of Conservation of Ninjitsu.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Daredevil is so much loving better than it has any right to be. It's insane how good it is. I'm only four episodes in and it's been consistently excellent the whole way through--especially the characterization of Kingpin. Making him a socially awkward giant was an interesting choice and I like the intensity the actor brings. Matty's actor doesn't look like how I'd expect, and it helps sell him as more down-to-earth since he isn't a male model like most TV show heroes.

All of the supporting characters are great. It's really, truly better than Arrow in every way, and I'm reluctant to say that even. I especially love Rosario Dawson as Claire, but the pretty blonde who plays their secretary is also pretty great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Matty's actor doesn't look like how I'd expect, and it helps sell him as more down-to-earth since he isn't a male model like most TV show heroes.

I don't know what show you're watching, but...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I like that the big knife wound he started episode 2 with stayed on him whenever he was shirtless almost until the end of the show, because he kept loving re-opening it by moving around and getting into fights.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I dunno he has a weird face

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Snak posted:

He's in good shape to be sure, but contrast those with:

So yeah he's definitely way more down to earth body-wise.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

He's in good shape to be sure, but contrast those with:

So yeah he's definitely way more down to earth body-wise.

He was sort of surprise casting and only had a month of working out/stunt training before the filming started.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

etalian posted:

He was sort of surprise casting and only had a month of working out/stunt training before the filming started.

Yeah that's fine, I actually think it suits him better. I was responding to Snak.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Going back to the rewatch of the Season I realize the reason why the show seems more realistic is that they actively potray his injuries realistically. Starting with the Russian Hallway Fight ending iwth Nobu and then further on after that.

Matt's laid up in his apartment for a good portion of those episodes. It just added a believability to the scenes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I dunno he has a weird face

This super-ripped and handsome leading man actor is somehow not conventionally handsome? He's an attractive man, by any real standard...I guess I'm confused by the argument.

And isn't Matt Murdock supposed to be super attractive? He's a total womanizer who self-medicates his problems with sex. They didn't cast Adam Driver in the role or anything.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Murdock's nose is too pointy, 2/10 would not be banged by

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
His nipples are too close together

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!
Show is great, but both Foggy the character as written and the actor were terrible and kind of ruined those parts of the show for me. The character seemed like he was trying to hard to be witty and sarcastic but just came off as corny and cringey. Not to mention the creepy Sam-Frodo vibe between Foggy and Matt which made me laugh out loud at scenes meant to have a more dramatic impact. I feel like a better actor could've helped cover up some of these writing deficiencies (i.e. the actress who plays Karen and Rosario Dawson do a good job of overcoming some of the cheesy lines and poorly written bits of their respective characters), but the guy they chose for Foggy did a terrible job. I wouldn't be disappointed if they replaced him for season 2 or at least rewrote him as someone that is less obnoxious and more likeable.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What is it with people in this thread and being wrong? Foggy is great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

What is it with people in this thread and being wrong? Foggy is great.

Agreed, Had -0 problems with Foggy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Foggy was like my favorite character.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Hollismason posted:

Going back to the rewatch of the Season I realize the reason why the show seems more realistic is that they actively potray his injuries realistically. Starting with the Russian Hallway Fight ending iwth Nobu and then further on after that.

Matt's laid up in his apartment for a good portion of those episodes. It just added a believability to the scenes.

I'm only through episode four, but this has struck me the most so far. Daredevil is probably the only series with this much action that I've ever seen where they get fatigued more and more as a fight drags on.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It helps that Matt is visibly exhausted a lot of the time. Usually when the hero goes after a perp they're speaking in this perfect cold tone of voice, but with Matt he's like "Okay (pant) you're gonna (gasp) tell me what I need to know (wheeze) about Fisk!" because, you know, he just got done beating the poo poo out of half a dozen criminals while leaping around and avoiding knives and gunfire.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although now that he has the costume/armor they'll probably cut down on the injured scenes in season 2.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Foggy was great; especially upon first watch of the series. Better than Karen - I love Deborah Ann Woll, but they had her being miserable or depressed/ on the verge of crying in like every other scene of hers. Still she was also an interesting character, and there are stuff about her that we have yet to find out, it would seem.

Upon rewatch, I think the only episode where I didn't like Foggy's character, was the episode after he finds out. I am not sure if it was the writing of his dialogues and/or the actor's performance, and it might have something to do with the fact that it seemed a bit farfetched that Foggy was so much clueless about Matt. Also he kept acting weird/ angry/ betrayed in random order until storming out and some of it didn't really... connect . However, I didn't expect him to just go "huh" or to be immediately accepting of his friends secret. And he did make some valid points though (especially the one about Matt dragging them into his vigilante activities, without them consenting or even know about it).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doronin posted:

I'm only through episode four, but this has struck me the most so far. Daredevil is probably the only series with this much action that I've ever seen where they get fatigued more and more as a fight drags on.

It's really caused me to reevaluate action sequences in general, and I've realized that most extended fights assume Captain America-like stamina of the participants. I love Daredevil's verisimilitude in this area, it just makes everything feel that much more dangerous and visceral when he's doing the equivalent of a UFC championship bout with no ref stops and no round breaks.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Foggy is awesome and I hope they don't do something stupid to butcher his character by the end of the season.

EDIT: This show's pacing is unreal. I was convinced at least twice that I had somehow already reached the season finale (the whole Vladmir situation in the abandoned warehouse). It's mind-boggling how incredibly well-done all of the side characters in this show are, even and especially the little circle of villains whom Matty is fighting. You almost forget at the end that the Russian is this lovely child-murdering kidnapper because he somehow becomes the coolest guy in the last minutes.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 27, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's one of the reasons I liked the series is that the injuries are potrayed somewhat realistically , although them explaining the "I meditate to heal faster" is a little hand wavy. Although that's what he does in the comics.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

It's one of the reasons I liked the series is that the injuries are potrayed somewhat realistically , although them explaining the "I meditate to heal faster" is a little hand wavy. Although that's what he does in the comics.

yeah I mean, he's basically a ninja. Compare to Oliver Queen, who also "gets injured a lot" but is just a badass about it and it gets waved away. Matt's injuries don't seem to slow down his fighting much, but they do persist between episodes, which is a nice touch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Also it's the only way to do it on a reasonable timescale otherwise he'd have to take several weeks between adventures.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

yeah I mean, he's basically a ninja. Compare to Oliver Queen, who also "gets injured a lot" but is just a badass about it and it gets waved away. Matt's injuries don't seem to slow down his fighting much, but they do persist between episodes, which is a nice touch.

Oliver has been gravely wounded a couple of times and when that happens they do try and have time pass before he's back up. In the first season he got injured on a mid season break and they acted like the real world time passed.

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

AbstractNapper posted:

Foggy was great; especially upon first watch of the series. Better than Karen - I love Deborah Ann Woll, but they had her being miserable or depressed/ on the verge of crying in like every other scene of hers. Still she was also an interesting character, and there are stuff about her that we have yet to find out, it would seem.

Upon rewatch, I think the only episode where I didn't like Foggy's character, was the episode after he finds out. I am not sure if it was the writing of his dialogues and/or the actor's performance, and it might have something to do with the fact that it seemed a bit farfetched that Foggy was so much clueless about Matt. Also he kept acting weird/ angry/ betrayed in random order until storming out and some of it didn't really... connect . However, I didn't expect him to just go "huh" or to be immediately accepting of his friends secret. And he did make some valid points though (especially the one about Matt dragging them into his vigilante activities, without them consenting or even know about it).

For me it was the opposite: the only time I liked him is that episode because I feel like the actor was better at playing Foggy angry than anything else. Any other time he was on screen i felt I was watching an actor just recite lines and didn't feel I was really watching a character. It was probably a miscast more than anything but I definitely felt like the writing for him could have been better as well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Oliver has been gravely wounded a couple of times and when that happens they do try and have time pass before he's back up. In the first season he got injured on a mid season break and they acted like the real world time passed.

You're actually right about that. I got carried away ragging on Arrow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snak posted:

Don't feel bad, that's going around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Don't feel bad, that's going around.

I'm just bitter because my roommate dragged her feet so much on finished season 2 of Arrow on Netflix that we didn't get done before the first episode of season 3 stopped being on hulu. So now I have to wait an entire year to watch it, despite having everything spoiled for me because of The Flash's crossover episodes...

Also facebook. I hardly use facebook, but forever ago i made the mistake of "liking" arrow on facebook. Which means every week they put a video full of spoilers on my front page. which automatically starts playing. Fortunately I (obviously) don't care a whole lot about Arrow...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Well, the big difference is that on Arrow he just doesn't get injured that much. Most of what you see is just flesh wounds, nothing as bad as what Matt gets hit with on Daredevil.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Time passes in between episodes of this show too. For example after the fight with Nobu we see Fisk commenting on Daredevil has been pretty much missing in action for a while. There's a couple of other subtler mentions in other episodes as well about things that happen between the episodes. So the events in them aren't just running back to back over a course of a week or two.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Time passes in between episodes of this show too. For example after the fight with Nobu we see Fisk commenting on Daredevil has been pretty much missing in action for a while. There's a couple of other subtler mentions in other episodes as well about things that happen between the episodes. So the events in them aren't just running back to back over a course of a week or two.

It's true, I can't remember the exact episode/line, but this season takes place over at least six months. Which may be kind of surprising.

Converse41
Dec 17, 2004

seniorservice posted:

Show is great, but both Foggy the character as written and the actor were terrible and kind of ruined those parts of the show for me. The character seemed like he was trying to hard to be witty and sarcastic but just came off as corny and cringey. Not to mention the creepy Sam-Frodo vibe between Foggy and Matt which made me laugh out loud at scenes meant to have a more dramatic impact. I feel like a better actor could've helped cover up some of these writing deficiencies (i.e. the actress who plays Karen and Rosario Dawson do a good job of overcoming some of the cheesy lines and poorly written bits of their respective characters), but the guy they chose for Foggy did a terrible job. I wouldn't be disappointed if they replaced him for season 2 or at least rewrote him as someone that is less obnoxious and more likeable.

I completely agree, I don't see how anyone could find him funny.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
i don't think he's supposed to be funny as in "make the viewer laugh out loud" but I think he's a convincing awkward guy who uses humor as a crutch. One of the things I like most about this show is that none of the characters are perfect people. Matt is a psycho who really likes to beat the poo poo out of people, but tells himself he's not, Karen is enthusiatic but naive and misguided, Foggy is overly optimistic and all too trusting. Matt and Wilson are both children who grew up with troubled childhoods, had to grow up fast, and have issues because of it. It sounds like Foggy had a pretty decent childhood and never had to grow up. If there was a character in this show that represented innocence, it would be Foggy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

It's true, I can't remember the exact episode/line, but this season takes place over at least six months. Which may be kind of surprising.

Six months seems a little long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

seniorservice posted:

Show is great, but both Foggy the character as written and the actor were terrible and kind of ruined those parts of the show for me. The character seemed like he was trying to hard to be witty and sarcastic but just came off as corny and cringey.

So in other words he came off like Foggy.