Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Obligatory "were we supposed to hate character x?" post. I also enjoyed Catwoman. Not a huge fan of traversal though but not to the point that I'd avoid playing as her because of it. Her fighting style more than made up for it. You're like a whirling banshee and it's hilarious :v: Second favorite after Batman of all the characs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I didn't care for her dialogue, traversal, or moveset. I don't have anything against Catwoman as a character in general, but I don't like the way the games have used her. And to be honest, I've just never enjoyed playing as smaller, faster characters. I always pick the big, slow, heavy hitter where I have the option. I didn't like playing as Robin either (except for the noise his bo staff makes when he hits people, which is a precious, precious gift), although Nightwing and Deathstroke were alright.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Robin was my favorite to play as, though I often went back to Batman due to gadget options.

Catwoman needs more thief tools in the sequel.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Robin was my favorite to play as, though I often went back to Batman due to gadget options.

I just want everyone to have disarm and destroy because I'm a wuss.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm one of those crazies who actually really liked Catwoman, traversal mechanics and all. I mean, not the dialogue, because JESUS, but other than that.

I like looking at her rump.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Robin was infuriating to play as. As slow as Batman but without all his neat gadgets and moves. Armored thugs in predator challenges were hell. I had fun with Catwoman and Nightwing though.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

X+Y to 'accidentally' bump into a goon and grab his waller

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wasn't Deathstroke basically a copied move version of Robin?

To some degree in combat, but they tweaked a few things as well- and a couple of his animations (like his combat backflip where he begins by folding his arms over his chest and trust falling backwards) are much more badass. His predator mode plays quite differently, iirc- much more agressive.

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm one of those crazies who actually really liked Catwoman, traversal mechanics and all. I mean, not the dialogue, because JESUS, but other than that.

Catwoman was great in combat, painful in high-level predator mode. Top of the world extreme, I'm looking at you...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, everyone but Bats having limited gadgets was lame. I don't mind them having slightly different ones, even lamer ones, but at least give them the same overall number!

I still think it's neat that Nightwing in Injustice switches from the bo staff style to the eskrima sticks style. It's like switching from Arkham Robin to Arkham Nightwing!

Although -100000 points for not getting around to giving him a Robin skin.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Discendo Vox posted:

Catwoman was great in combat, painful in high-level predator mode. Top of the world extreme, I'm looking at you...

Getting through End Of The Line Extreme as Catwoman by treating it as a goddamn assault rather than a stealthy predator thing was so fuckin' satisfying. Much like this guy here does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhWJuYVL8zM

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Holy hell, I missed that one. :stonk: the Arkhamvideos account is pretty much the place to see pro challenge mode strats, to say nothing of everything else of interest about Arkham games. Fun Fact: they did videos for every single challenge mode map for all the other games, but only did a few for Origins.. I wonder why...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Extreme predator maps are horribly imbalanced for non-Batman characters. If you can do 'em all, that's great but IMO they're more infuriating than they should be at times (esp. Catwoman's).

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Catwoman's predator challenges are frustrating until you realize two things: She can run at full speed without making noise, and a whip trip + ground takedown works even on armored thugs. The one whose challenges took me forever to beat was Robin, mostly because he has no means of handling armored thugs at range other than a fully accelerated remote shuriken, and good luck doing that on any map other than End of the Line.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Crappy Jack posted:

100% agreed with special mention on her combat being stupid fun. I just wish everyone had disarm and destroy; it should definitely be a core move imho.

Sober posted:

Extreme predator maps are horribly imbalanced for non-Batman characters. If you can do 'em all, that's great but IMO they're more infuriating than they should be at times (esp. Catwoman's).

Predator sections with Catwoman get a lot easier if you remember all the context sensative takedowns, especially the Catwoman specific ones. Those tended to be rather powerful- room clearing possibly if you abuse them. I'm kind of a doofus tho, I've replayed the predator challenge maps with all sorts of self-imposed restrictions like no gargoyles, no detective mode, unique takedowns for all, all loud, etc so I can't be objective here when it comes to predator difficulty.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I really liked the DLC characters being more limited because I did them in the order they came out, so by the time I moved on from Batman I'd gotten pretty good at how his stealth works. You have to take more risks and get a little more creative with the other characters because they don't have answers to every possible situation like Batman does. Batman's almost broken in how many tools he has at his disposal.

The only character who I felt was maybe underpowered was Catwoman since she only has three gadgets, but being able to sprint everywhere without making noise is really nice.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've been paying approximately zero attention to all the release information around Arkham Knight but it seems pretty good so far. Won't be getting it on PC though, I've got this PS4 I should be doing things on instead of sitting next to my TV. Also I'm excited to see the return of ADAM WEST BATMAN COSTUME.

But damnation this combat system is looking pretty good. All the stuff I've been wanting to do with more on top. Steal weapons? Hell yes steal weapons.

Also hopefully Arkham Knight will sufficiently wash the taste of Origins out of my mouth. A man can dream.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really want to play Arkham Knight on PC, but I don't think my toaster would be able to even install the game let alone run it. :v:

dscruffy1 posted:

Also hopefully Arkham Knight will sufficiently wash the taste of Origins out of my mouth. A man can dream.

Oh, you've started your LP? I'll go check it out.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

hard counter posted:

100% agreed with special mention on her combat being stupid fun. I just wish everyone had disarm and destroy; it should definitely be a core move imho.

I'm one of those crazies who quite enjoyed Origins, and it taught me one valuable lesson.

Disarm and Destroy is a crutch :colbert:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

I'm one of those crazies who quite enjoyed Origins

I legit thought Origins had the best story.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My fave thing about Catwoman in Arkham City is that she does the sexy voice to herself in her own head so she's obviously insane.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CuwiKhons posted:

Seriously? There are trailers for trailers now? gently caress right off.

Avengers 2 had a teaser for a teaser for the first trailer, which was a glorified teaser for the Superbowl trailer. This rabbit hole goes deep.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Origins had 3. Bruce Wayne played completely differently from Batman.

They're two different people, why wouldn't they play differently.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

My fave thing about Catwoman in Arkham City is that she does the sexy voice to herself in her own head so she's obviously insane.

On that subject, Catwoman is still canonically a stripper, right? Because that would explain so much about Arkham Catwoman.

Or did that remove that backstory due to Holly?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On that subject, Catwoman is still canonically a stripper, right? Because that would explain so much about Arkham Catwoman.

Or did that remove that backstory due to Holly?

I think I was reading Future's End, or maybe it was Batman Eternal, where she brings up pole dancing classes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://youtube.com/watch?v=V-DBvDejInI
:aaaaa:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sweet co-op attacks there. I guess that probably confirms who is in for challenge maps but I am curious if this means this is two player or if you can regularly fight alongside the others or what. but hey whatever check out dat ps4 exclusive skin lol

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kinda disappointed about no Batgirl, but co-op! :supaburn:

Edit: Okay, so it's not co-op. Close enough idea, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 27, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kinda disappointed about no Batgirl, but co-op! :supaburn:

Edit: Okay, so it's not co-op. Close enough idea, though.

the "dual switch" mechanic they're talking about sounds just as awesome though. finally you can play as Batman and Robin as a duo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if you'll be able to Dual Play in Challenge Maps. Maybe even have other team ups, like Robin with Nightwing. Or Batman with Harley.

That'd be pretty neat, though, since you could also have Catwoman and Harley together. Too bad it's not Triple Play, otherwise we might've had the Gotham Sirens.

Edit: There seemed to be a part where Batman looked like he got gassed by Scarecrow and then he was told "You will bring death to all who follow you." Possible Batman boss fight? :ohdear:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Batman and Red Hood :unsmigghh:

It'd be awesome if all of Jason's takedowns became non-lethal while he worked with Bruce.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 27, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if you'll be able to Dual Play in Challenge Maps. Maybe even have other team ups, like Robin with Nightwing.

Or Batman with Harley. :stare:

Batman and Red Hood :unsmigghh:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
How many loving trailers does this game have now?

6?

Is this normal?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

khwarezm posted:

How many loving trailers does this game have now?

6?

Is this normal?

no but this is the last (good) batman game you're likely going to see for a long time so you better believe they are going to hype it

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MinibarMatchman posted:

no but this is the last (good) batman game you're likely going to see for a long time so you better believe they are going to hype it

Well, like, would something like an Assassin's Creed game or CoD have such a long, drawn out promotional campaign? I guess this is what happens when you get delayed 50 times.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Well, like, would something like an Assassin's Creed game or CoD have such a long, drawn out promotional campaign? I guess this is what happens when you get delayed 50 times.

cod and AC are even more hilarious since they get stuffed down people's throats just as much yet are yearly releases. it's probably more to do with warner bros honestly; something like Witcher 3 which has been pushed back endlessly handed out gameplay videos instead of "trailer for a trailer" type deals. warner bros makes good games but sucks at stuff like this, particularly the endlessly lame preorder poo poo

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there a better quality version of the trailer anywhere? The YouTube compression is terrible for the action stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

Is there a better quality version of the trailer anywhere? The YouTube compression is terrible for the action stuff.
This one is 1080.

(DT's initial link is only 720)

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hope the Origin developers incorporate the duel play combat into their eventual Suicide Squad game

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Well I guess I will take that Nuuvem deal after that trailer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I don't know that dual play adds a lot that I was looking for in the game. I'm at this point mostly curious about the new influx of obese gasbots in Gotham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The co-op attack animations seem jank.

• Locked thread