Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Or steering, I get my steering shot out in DD's all the drat time.

I spent one hilarious game driving in a circle for almost 5 minutes as I kept getting my steering shot out, and somehow kept launching torps at people coming around the islands to finish me off, and sunk 3 ships that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I prefer to just AP citadel destroyers to kill them off really quickly. American destroyers have better reloads, you can play around with HE in those.

Any alpha testers know who "JollyRoger6969" is, and why he is claiming to be a destroyer expert in my beautiful torpedo thread?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I prefer to just AP citadel destroyers to kill them off really quickly. American destroyers have better reloads, you can play around with HE in those.

Any alpha testers know who "JollyRoger6969" is, and why he is claiming to be a destroyer expert in my beautiful torpedo thread?

No, and relink thread please? I've only got a glorious thread that's crying about the swastika not being in when the hammer and sickle is in and do you know what the Soviets did to the Jews:downsowned:.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

No, and relink thread please? I've only got a glorious thread that's crying about the swastika not being in when the hammer and sickle is in and do you know what the Soviets did to the Jews:downsowned:.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/25332-torpedo-reload-time-should-change/#topmost

The real pubstar chat starts on page 3.

Also, I'm linking my favourite thread on the official forums.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/25215-austria-hungary/#topmost

This guy loving loves the Austro-Hungarian navy, and wants a 21-knot dreadnought as a tier x battleship. I can only assume he's 130 years-old and yearns daily for the return of the grand Dual Monarchy

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Oh god he's talking about having over 1k average xp in a game where premium exists and multiplies your xp listed in stats by 50%.

Meanwhile in destroyers that are fun and good I have over 2k in my Grim and Sims.

And that A-H thread. That tier nine destroyer is literally .5 knots and a better secondary away from being the Japanese tier two.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 27, 2015

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The worst posters are the Bismarck-obsessed Kriegsaboos who don't understand that an 8 x 15" armament and archaic armor scheme does not a world-beating battleship make.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Oh god he's talking about having over 1k average xp in a game where premium exists and multiplies your xp listed in stats by 50%.

Meanwhile in destroyers that are fun and good I have over 2k in my Grim and Sims.

I absolutely suck in destroyers, and I have 1678 average in the Nicholas, and 2089 average in the Sims. The world that pubbies live in must be a strange and magical place.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What's the deal with the sims? It seems like just another American destroyer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Dunno, I bought into the bundle so I got it. I use it to get an extra 'double' on other US ship commanders, or when I needed a T7 to group up with goons before I got a non-premium T7.

Since I'm only up to T5 on the US DD line (the Nicholas) I have no idea how it compares. It has a pair of torpedo launchers with a quasi decent reload speed, and fairly rapid firing 5" guns that can tear up other DD's. Reasonably nimble, and fast, but I don't know that it has anything that makes it stand out compared to the non-premiums.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I think it is. It's just a common frame of reference for higher tier destroyers.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's pretty much a Benson that trades better torpedoes for a lower tier and tighter turn radius (and an insignificant turn rate increase on the turrets from 5.3s to 5s). In terms of uniqueness it's not that special but the stats and the tier all combine to make it a really good ship.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Locator posted:

Dunno, I bought into the bundle so I got it. I use it to get an extra 'double' on other US ship commanders, or when I needed a T7 to group up with goons before I got a non-premium T7.

Since I'm only up to T5 on the US DD line (the Nicholas) I have no idea how it compares. It has a pair of torpedo launchers with a quasi decent reload speed, and fairly rapid firing 5" guns that can tear up other DD's. Reasonably nimble, and fast, but I don't know that it has anything that makes it stand out compared to the non-premiums.

xthetenth posted:

I think it is. It's just a common frame of reference for higher tier destroyers.

Insert name here posted:

It's pretty much a Benson that trades better torpedoes for a lower tier and tighter turn radius (and an insignificant turn rate increase on the turrets from 5.3s to 5s). In terms of uniqueness it's not that special but the stats and the tier all combine to make it a really good ship.

Alright, that's around what I thought. The Grim reminds me more of Japanese destroyers, although I guess we won't know until the rest of the Soviet line comes out.

Once the game gets released, are the pre-order bundles still going to available? I'm certain that we won't be making the same kind of dosh as we are now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Alright, that's around what I thought. The Grim reminds me more of Japanese destroyers, although I guess we won't know until the rest of the Soviet line comes out.

Once the game gets released, are the pre-order bundles still going to available? I'm certain that we won't be making the same kind of dosh as we are now.

Once the game is released, no they will probably not be available. The store says that the packages will remain exclusive for 1 year after release.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Magni posted:

Use mainly AP. HE is good for breaking modules and setting ships on fire, which is mostly useful for destroyers shooting other DDs (break the engines, watch your team murder the poor bastard) and battleships which your 5in spitballs won't pen anyway. Aim at the waterline under the smokestacks or at the areas under the turrets for citadel penetrations and sick damage. Flat broadside profiles are the best targets for that, so try to not give the enemy such a shot.

Also shooting HE from Destroyers at carriers is pretty important - AP isn't going to do worthwhile damage while you're heading into torpedo range, whereas if you start a fire on a carrier it becomes unable to launch/recover aircraft, which can be pretty vital. On the weekend I shut down a Saipan and a Ranger with my Isokaze by doing that, even managed to sink the Ranger with fire.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

On another note I got the Kongo and I can't say I'm too happy with the accuracy and damage of these Japanese BBs. I think I'd rather just stick to destroyers and cruisers until American BBs come out. Carriers make me extremely impatient so I don't think I can deal with that either.

Get the aimbot mod and BBs becomes very relaxing to play. The Fuso is pretty loving great with that rate of fire.
That is unless you are a grognard that actually likes missing boats since it is better IMMERSION.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

NTRabbit posted:

Also shooting HE from Destroyers at carriers is pretty important - AP isn't going to do worthwhile damage while you're heading into torpedo range, whereas if you start a fire on a carrier it becomes unable to launch/recover aircraft, which can be pretty vital. On the weekend I shut down a Saipan and a Ranger with my Isokaze by doing that, even managed to sink the Ranger with fire.
I can never seem to set those fuckers on fire. Like I'll be barrelling down on him and set him on fire maybe once in like two minutes.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Oh god the Saipan is worlds better than the previous carriers.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

xthetenth posted:

But.. but... My immersion? :qqsay:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Insert name here posted:

I know the guns on IJN DDs suck but do you really have to shoot HE at other DDs? Because drat.

AP can kill eventually, but you'll lose that match against any halfway decent US destroyer. So my normal gameplan in an IJN DD against an enemy DD is to blow out their guns and engines with HE to set them up for a point-blank torp salvo or to make them sitting ducks for the rest of my team.

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah, forgot about that. I actually burned a Saipan to the ground with the Fubuki on the weekend because I couldn't get into effective torpedo range.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The grim is somewhat like the Japanese destroyers, but the similarities end when it starts hammering out shells at long range.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So yeah, yesterday I finally figured out that the white stripe in the torpedo aiming mode isn't just a UI bug.

I'm getting a lot more torpedo hits now. :negative:

Tanadon
May 18, 2014

Kesper North posted:

So yeah, yesterday I finally figured out that the white stripe in the torpedo aiming mode isn't just a UI bug.

I'm getting a lot more torpedo hits now. :negative:

You're not alone, I didn't realise until I watched a video and saw someone else doing it. It's truly amazing at lower tiers when no one seems to be able to evade.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I just saw a video of the aiming guide on YouTube.. I'm just.... That should be an instant ban for using that. I assume this is just a short term oversight during beta right, and not some way to pander to people who can't loving aim? I hate driving battleships because I always miss or a good shot splices and misses. It doesn't mean I need an aim bot, it just means I suck at BB's and have no patience.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

I just saw a video of the aiming guide on YouTube.. I'm just.... That should be an instant ban for using that. I assume this is just a short term oversight during beta right, and not some way to pander to people who can't loving aim? I hate driving battleships because I always miss or a good shot splices and misses. It doesn't mean I need an aim bot, it just means I suck at BB's and have no patience.

I'm reasonably sure that it's testing code that they removed but left the hooks for, and I think they'll be taking the hooks out next patch. Also dodging is a thing.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

xthetenth posted:

I'm reasonably sure that it's testing code that they removed but left the hooks for, and I think they'll be taking the hooks out next patch. Also dodging is a thing.

The aimbot seems to work excessively well against people that run in a straight path, similar to how torpedoes devastate dumb battleships.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

Oh I agree, to not dodge is to die a quick death.

I'm learning the hard way that I also suck at aircraft carriers. Trying to manually drop close groups of torps on cruisers while my torpedo planes keep doing laps instead of dropping torps makes life difficult.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Baudin posted:

The aimbot seems to work excessively well against people that run in a straight path, similar to how torpedoes devastate dumb battleships.

Shooting at dumb people op.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Shooting at dumb people op.

As always. I particularly like people that decide to drive in a straight line after killing a destroyer that suddenly turned next to them.

A favourite moment of mine was torpedoing a cruiser using one side's tubes, accidentally running aground and using the other side's tubes to get a destroyer that decided to close in on me. Fun times.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

For some reason a Saipan and a mix of tier 4-5 cruisers and destroyers decided to charge my Cleveland :black101:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Aim assist isn't that bad. At long ranges damage normally has more to do with shell dispersion than where your aim point is, and at closer ranges aiming is easy anyway. It helps a lot if you're firing low velocity guns at long range, but none of those guns are really all that dangerous unless you're a destroyer that can evade aim assist easily.
Even battleship zigzagging can throw off players who depend on aim assist pretty easily.

It'd make pubbies better, but the pubbies who'd see the biggest advantage are too dumb to install it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Haven't played this game in a few weeks, so I come back and jump in my Omaha...

I used to not like this thing but fully upgraded it kind of owns.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

James Garfield posted:

Aim assist isn't that bad.

:frogout:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Aim assist is not a problem.

I made a pub mad today and his first insult directed at me was "welfare baby". What is wrong with America.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Magni posted:

Yeah, forgot about that. I actually burned a Saipan to the ground with the Fubuki on the weekend because I couldn't get into effective torpedo range.

Is there a trick to this? I occasionally do it, but I've also had matches where I've put ~50-70+ HE shells into a carrier without setting it on fire even once. Typically when I'm stern chasing the drat thing because I've got nothing better to do. Pretty frustrating when it happens, because they'll obviously focus on you, and if dive bombers get lucky the damage they can do to destroyers actually can add up fast.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I made a pub mad today and his first insult directed at me was "welfare baby". What is wrong with America.

"I just bought this prem *tank/boat* with my Obamacare check. Hope it's worth it!"

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Polikarpov posted:

The worst posters are the Bismarck-obsessed Kriegsaboos who don't understand that an 8 x 15" armament and archaic armor scheme does not a world-beating battleship make.

Just imagine the tears when it fails to live up to their expectations.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Aim assist is legal bro :smug:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lee Outrageous posted:

Just imagine the tears when it fails to live up to their expectations.

That would depend entirely on what tier it is placed at. If it was a premium sitting at tier 3 with the Kawachi or something, it'd do just fine, right?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zaodai posted:

That would depend entirely on what tier it is placed at. If it was a premium sitting at tier 3 with the Kawachi or something, it'd do just fine, right?

They'd be mad because :byodood:THE BISMARCK WAS THE BEST BATTLESHIP EVER WHY ISN'T IT A TIER X BB WITH 9s RELOADS AND SHELLS THAT CAN PEN A YAMATO'S SIDE ARMOR FROM 20KM?

E: ALSO WHY DOESN'T IT HAVE DAMAGE IMMUNE FORCEFIELDS BECAUSE THE BISMARCK GETTING SUNK IRL WAS JUST A FLUKE

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Zaodai posted:

It literally doesn't matter how good it actually is in game because all the German-obsessed fanboys will complain that it isn't good enough still

See: World of Tanks