Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The Marines?

Right to work means she can't be forced to join a union as a condition of employment. It does reflect the general balance of worker to employer power but is irrelevant to your wife's situation.

Call the state bar and ask for a referral for a lawyer specializing in wrongful termination.

http://www.wisbar.org/forpublic/ineedalawyer/pages/lris.aspx

Thanks for this. We'll take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Don't civil suits just have a judge?
You can request a jury for most kinds of civil cases, if you want. Most people don't go this route because it tremendously increases the legal costs over the duration of the suit.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Right to work means she can't be forced to join a union as a condition of employment. It does reflect the general balance of worker to employer power but is irrelevant to your wife's situation.
I'm pretty sure unions haven't been able to force people to join for a long time. Right-to-work means that you can be a "free rider", where the union has to represent you and you get the benefits of any collective bargaining agreements, but can't be required to pay a representation fee to the union. Union dues can sometimes be used for things like political lobbying, so a "representation fee" is basically dues minus anything not specific to the job.

So RTW means you can't be forced to pay even the representation fee. You've been allowed to object to your dues going to political things for a while. RTW is union busting, that's it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

myron cope posted:

I'm pretty sure unions haven't been able to force people to join for a long time.

I'm not certain about that. I know I've spoke to teachers in the past who complained about being forced to pay teacher union dues.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Seems like sort of an odd grey area...

No employee in the United States can legally be required to be a full-dues-paying, formal union member. But in many states, an employee can be forced to pay certain union dues or be fired from his or her job.

From here: http://www.nrtw.org/your-rights-3-minutes

It sounds so weird, you don't have to do this, but if you don't we can fire you...maybe I'm just reading it wrong? But I know I've definitely heard people complain about it too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'd like to introduce "Right to Own" legislation that works pretty much the same way as Right to Work, but with HOAs. If you buy a house that's part of a HOA, you can't be required to pay dues or fees, but you still get all the benefits.

Edit:

Forgot this was the IT thread, not a politics thread so let's make it topical.

Anyone in the IT industry in a Union? What's that like?

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Are there IT Unions? I always used to joke that Tech Support guys needed one because they are treated like poo poo.

I think companies would riot if IT unions started. With their mandatory breaks and rights!
(It's so much fun being "exempt"! I love when regular people don't even know what means, then you explain it and they are like :psyboom: is that even legal? I've had to show people that actual rules because they thought I was lying about it...)

I mean, granted, we tend to get paid better, but it's so funny people don't realize "exempt" exists...you mean you didn't get paid time and a half for all those weekends you worked?! Nope! But my company has a ping-pong table and free soda! :smugdog:

metavisual fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 27, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

metavisual posted:

Are there IT Unions? I always used to joke that Tech Support guys needed one because they are treated like poo poo.

I think companies would riot if IT unions started. With their mandatory breaks and rights!

Of course there are, you must be American. My office isn't unionized (yet) but our other ones are, and there is no riot or implosion. We haven't bothered because we get all the benefits the other offices get anyways, but we could unionize at any time no problem. Unions are a good and positive thing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The thermostat in my office works! :toot:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

metavisual posted:

(It's so much fun being "exempt"! I love when regular people don't even know what means, then you explain it and they are like :psyboom: is that even legal? I've had to show people that actual rules because they thought I was lying about it...)

I mean, granted, we tend to get paid better, but it's so funny people don't realize "exempt" exists...you mean you didn't get paid time and a half for all those weekends you worked?! Nope! But my company has a ping-pong table and free soda! :smugdog:

There aren't IT unions in the US. Most IT workers who are in unions are there because the entire site is unionized, so they fall under the collective bargaining agreement by proxy. That, or they're public employees.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone have resources for when the cloud isn't the right solution?

I'm being told that the "cloud" will replace everything but my gut tells me this is simply untrue. I spoke with some of the guys who work with Stack Exchange and they were going to make a blog post why the cloud wasn't for them but it's not up.

On another note, my new gig has a "hands-off" managerial approach. It's up to us to master a sub-sect of the product that we pick, setup meetings with our manager(s) and drive our own demand by working (or selling) ourselves to other teams. This is rather the opposite of myself - I'm not a narcissist but much more altruistic.

It's unique to every case, and heavily opinion oriented.

My own thoughts are...
1) If a specific project has some component of it where the cloud has technical or feature limitations, i.e., maybe too much internet bandwidth is required and it's not cost effective to get a bigger pipe, or the cloud version of a product is lacking a needed feature....
2) You have the in house expertise to locally manage a solution better, or cheaper, including staffing costs when comparing to the monthly cost of a solution being cloud host.
3) External factors. Your CIO, director, manager, etc understand the staffing and operational requirements of a project, and want to keep staff on site for whatever reason.
Then host it internally.

Otherwise there's nothing wrong with the cloud.

There are many times where the cloud is more expensive.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Question for fathers, just something I've been thinking about. I work from home and can basically do whatever I want. Is this the god send for having a kid that I think it's going to be? Saving all that money on day care while they're an infant, being around 24/7, etc? Or is it too much of an interference with your job?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just got home and talking to my significant other, and she mentioned that her boss was super mad that she wouldn't go bar hopping this past Friday and has gotten mad in the past when she doesnt drink when they go out.

How does she prove this poo poo? Her word against his, right?

She called that lawyer number and has an appointment for later in the week.

Her boss is also sending her a letter of recommendation, which means it obviously wasnt a performance issue.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

metavisual posted:

Seems like sort of an odd grey area...

No employee in the United States can legally be required to be a full-dues-paying, formal union member. But in many states, an employee can be forced to pay certain union dues or be fired from his or her job.

From here: http://www.nrtw.org/your-rights-3-minutes

It sounds so weird, you don't have to do this, but if you don't we can fire you...maybe I'm just reading it wrong? But I know I've definitely heard people complain about it too.

Right, what they're talking about is what I described. They're (obviously) pro-RTW so they frame it differently. The union is stealing your hard earned money!

In non-RTW states, you can get disciplined for something and the union has to represent you for it. You pay dues related to this representation (but they aren't like lawyer fees where you pay as you use it, you still pay monthly/per check/whatever) and because there are collective bargaining agreements that the union negotiated on your behalf. They are generally a reduced amount from "regular" dues. The last job (non-IT) I had, the union dues were equal to 1.5 hours of straight-time pay per month.

In RTW states, you get all that representation and CBA benefit, but can't be made to pay for it. The union has a legal responsibility (duty of fair representation) to represent everyone in the bargaining unit.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Question for fathers, just something I've been thinking about. I work from home and can basically do whatever I want. Is this the god send for having a kid that I think it's going to be? Saving all that money on day care while they're an infant, being around 24/7, etc? Or is it too much of an interference with your job?

I have a 15 month old and mostly work from home. An infant needs pretty much constant care and supervision. You won't be able to both be the primary caregiver AND work a full, productive day. At least, I couldn't. Your focus is going to get broken constantly.

It IS a godsend for my wife, though. She works 3 days (when we send kiddo to daycare) and stays home with the baby the other 2. When I'm home, I can take over for 20 minutes so she can take a shower or run an errand or something, which is a big help.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

Just got home and talking to my significant other, and she mentioned that her boss was super mad that she wouldn't go bar hopping this past Friday and has gotten mad in the past when she doesnt drink when they go out.

Her boss is also sending her a letter of recommendation, which means it obviously wasnt a performance issue.

If you're really going to pursue this (and it sounds like you should,) you probably shouldn't post about it online anymore, just wait for the lawyer to call you back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Understood, thanks.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Never worked from home, but have an 8 month old.

Honestly, I would never want to have an infant around while I was trying to work. On weekdays when I watch my daughter, I get almost nothing done until my wife gets home. Love her to death but I can barely watch TV, much less try to be productive while I'm the only adult around.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone have resources for when the cloud isn't the right solution?

I'm being told that the "cloud" will replace everything but my gut tells me this is simply untrue. I spoke with some of the guys who work with Stack Exchange and they were going to make a blog post why the cloud wasn't for them but it's not up.

On another note, my new gig has a "hands-off" managerial approach. It's up to us to master a sub-sect of the product that we pick, setup meetings with our manager(s) and drive our own demand by working (or selling) ourselves to other teams. This is rather the opposite of myself - I'm not a narcissist but much more altruistic.
Obviously there are plenty of ways to look at this. To preface this, I work at a bank, and while my industry has a very high regulatory burden, I don't specifically see compliance as a barrier. Philosophically, we are not opposed to putting anything in ~*the cloud*~ but there are barriers to doing so that are difficult to surmount for many applications.

1) We host our own core. Many smaller institutions outsource their core to a third party, in fact, some banks outsource to us. That's a lot of data that sits in our datacenter, and it would be more expensive to rely on a third party given our size and in house expertise. This includes having a second iseries and bandwidth to semi-synchronously replicate to it.
2) we have a lot of document images. Lots of papers have signatures, and then scanned in (or are signed electronically) and imported into centralized document management. This is on top of our check images. It's a lot of data, and to normalize the metadata there is a large data export from the core to the document imaging system nightly.
3) our fraud prevention systems create a duplicate of much of the data in our core, on a nightly basis.
4) previous attempts to move certain more contained systems to a SaaS platform have shown that many vendors give limited ability to work directly with the data, without creating a local mirror of all of it on a semi regular basis

2 and 3, and to some extent 4 play into misogynists (or Vulture Culture,wtf) idea of Data Gravity. It just doesn't make sense for us to try to store all of this in the cloud. We maybe could, but it would increase the complexity, and likely decrease the performance (unless amazon also sells IBM Power compute). So that leaves some of our more general infrastructure like email, AD, etc.. We already have two datacenters for our other poo poo that we don't want to move out, with plenty of compute and storage (and IO), as well as the in house expertise to manage it, so why spend more money on AWS or Azure? I am much more likely to put specific applications into a SaaS platform, so long as the owners of that application understand that we won't have the same abilities to use and manipulate that data. If PaaS prices were better, I would be interested in doing some of that too, but as it is I am just not going to see the necessary savings.

A specific example is our HCM which we put into the cloud. Our HR systems analyst used to do all kinds of great reporting and stuff (i don't really know the specifics, just that everyone loved it) on our prior system, but lost TONS of functionality when we put it into a SaaS system. Ultimately, we ended up copying the entire database weekly to a local SQL install so that she could do what she did before, because the API for these other dudes product was pretty terrible. Obviously not all solutions are like that, and someone hosed up on their due diligence, but it happened and has left a sour taste in the mouths of many at my company.

When it comes down to it, the difference is that we don't develop anything. We use off the shelf products, which almost universally run on Windows and are contained in one or two servers. We have relatively inelastic compute and storage needs, and so there just isn't a compelling argument to put things in the cloud for performance reasons, and there is similarly not a cost justification at this point.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

metavisual posted:

I thought IT didn't fall under any of the exempt categories. Like, not that companies don't treat IT workers as exempt, but I thought we had had conversations in this thread about it before, and IT legally can't be made exempt. Am I misremembering?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought IT didn't fall under any of the exempt categories. Like, not that companies don't treat IT workers as exempt, but I thought we had had conversations in this thread about it before, and IT legally can't be made exempt. Am I misremembering?
If you have pretty much any decision-making autonomy at all, like basically anyone with any systems administration responsibilites, you can be made exempt. Helpdesk and field service/desktop support employees, not so much.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It's also pretty easy to hit the salary threshold and become exempt. IIRC it's like $60k which is very attainable in tech once you're past the help desk.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I'm going to double up on the lawyer thing and say this is probably not something you should be discussing online anymore. You've released *just* enough detail that someone involved could easily connect the dots.

That being said, usually companies CYA with paper documenting discussions and meetings leading up to a termination. That's usually why you see goons complain about the dead-weight that they just won't fire. Lack of paperwork/documentation usually = headache for company in disputes.

Carry on, and update us when the dust (and hopefully that poo poo company) settles.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Great posts guys, I appreciate the input.

Docjowles posted:

It's also pretty easy to hit the salary threshold and become exempt. IIRC it's like $60k which is very attainable in tech once you're past the help desk.

Agreed, starting helpdesk even pays low 30s / mid 40s.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

There are many times where the cloud is more expensive.

Where's this scenario?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The Marines?

A big cloud company bought out by IBM.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Where's this scenario?

when there is significant data egress (at least with Azure where egress data is loving stupidly expensive)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Where's this scenario?

Other countries, when you don't want your data to reside in the USA.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

If you have pretty much any decision-making autonomy at all, like basically anyone with any systems administration responsibilites, you can be made exempt. Helpdesk and field service/desktop support employees, not so much.

It is more nuanced than this. You have to pass every test to be considered exempt as a computer worker exemption. In California one of the requirements is an hourly pay of $41.27 or a salary of $85981.40.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Docjowles posted:

The Stack Exchange folks are certainly interesting, and I'd love to see that blog post when it comes up. Very high traffic site running mostly on Windows/IIS instead of Linux? Check. Running on a few beastly bare-metal hosts vs a ton of VM's and/or ~~the cloud~~? Check. Employing some very high profile names like Tom Limoncelli? Check.

I don't have much to add on the topic. I just find it interesting that they're doing almost everything differently than most web companies and would eagerly read more about why.

Here's the original post.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I think this is pretty much it. Their founders were experienced in .NET so that's what they ran with.

Nah although I've met one or two of them at local Meetups. They do have a Denver office but I think it's mostly sales people.

What does Stack Exchange even sell?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zaepho posted:

when there is significant data egress (at least with Azure where egress data is loving stupidly expensive)

AFAIK AWS is the same way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've linked this before when this has come up. The vast majority of us are wrongfully classified as "exempt". The amount you make has nothing to do with exempt status. It comes entirely down to job function.

http://www.hrhero.com/hl/articles/2008/10/17/correctly-classifying-it-employees-as-exempt-or-non-exempt/

quote:

Isn’t there an exemption that applies specifically to computer employees, you may ask? Well, yes. But, it’s a very narrow exemption, applicable only to employees who are involved in the application of systems analysis techniques or who develop or design software or operating systems or perform related functions.

Unless you are a systems architect or programmer, and "troubleshooting" isn't part of your job description, then *legally* you cannot be classified as exempt per US Labor Law. It also won't apply to "decision makers", but the other non-exempt call-outs trump that if you do a lot of different things.

Some of us, like me, are in a grey area, wearing multiple hats. In my case, I'm doing a lot of architecture and design work, but I still support the Tier 3 guys and get involved in fixing particularly thorny issues. I'm clearly *not* a decision maker, since I don't have the authority to sign off on millions of dollars of equipment, labor and software, but I am a major "influencer" in the respect I usually get what I state as being required for a solution arch.

I probably have a very good case for non-exempt status, but at the same time, the headache it would cause coupled by the fact I'm very pleased with my current remuneration and how much of my time the job demands means I probably won't pursue that legally.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Other countries, when you don't want your data to reside in the USA.

This a million times. Try working for a bank trying to do security assessments for branches in Sweden. They will come down like a ton bricks if ANY non-anonymized data leaves their borders. It was a *huge* pain in the rear end and resolved by making it the Region Info Sec Office's responsibility.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

adorai posted:

Philosophically, we are not opposed to putting anything in ~*my butt*~ but there are barriers to doing so that are difficult to surmount for many applications.

Thank you, Cloud to Butt Extention. This is the best one yet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

lampey posted:

It is more nuanced than this. You have to pass every test to be considered exempt as a computer worker exemption. In California one of the requirements is an hourly pay of $41.27 or a salary of $85981.40.
That's California. Under the FLSA, the minimum salary is $23,660 per year, which isn't even worth mentioning.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

If you do in house credit card processing you're required to know where those servers are exactly.

The cloud will never be the end all be all of great things. Hybrid cloud however is a far more intelligent way to present it. Some stuff in house. Some bare metal. Some actual cloud.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 28, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Docjowles posted:

How does this work for the myriad skilled labor positions that easily earn more than $60k a year, but are still considered non-exempt.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

Where's this scenario?

When it's a capital expenditure of < 10k for a piece of software that requires minimal operational maintenance(like 5 or 10% of an FTE that you already have), and 1.5k/yr in software maintenance, vs 100k yearly bill to cloud host it?
Just because a vendor offers a cloud solution doesn't mean toss all other deployment options out the window without evaluating them at all....

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Richard Noggin posted:

Thank you, Cloud to Butt Extention. This is the best one yet.

I was editing a wiki page that had a lot of references to Cloud Ring (eve online) while running that addon. A few days later someone pings me asking why I renamed everything to Butt Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

psydude posted:

How does this work for the myriad skilled labor positions that easily earn more than $60k a year, but are still considered non-exempt.

Labor laws are specific state by state...what state is there that has a "salary threshold"?

At least NY, https://www.labor.ny.gov/sites/legal/counsel/pdf/overtime-frequently-asked-questions.pdf
In NY, pretty much you can only be salaried unless you fall into a very very specific job description, regardless of how much you're making.

You can be salaried as an administrative employee, as long as you are on a regular basis defining policies, making large purchases, doing programming work, implementing systems, etc.

You might not technically qualify to be exempt if you are primarily just working on tickets....

I got stuck in the middle of a DOL audit in the past when I was Tier III support. Was salary, got bumped to hourly.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 28, 2015