Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I like the dynamic that Matt and Foggy have in the comics, where Foggy is a brilliant lawyer, but isn't very good at speaking in public, whereas Matt lacks the patience to really do the due dilligence, but he's a hell of an orator, so they compensate for each others' faults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

seniorservice posted:

Agree to disagree. Stuff like "Avocados at law!" is so cringy to me that it's tempting to fast forward through it.

Ok now I understand where you are coming from.

That's not cringy, its sweet and funny.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

BottledBodhisvata posted:

^^^^--- You must be a blast at parties.

You will not disrespect Dan McNinja in such a way.
I'll admit, I'm less educated about Daredevil's history in the comics so I was unaware of the Hand. Because of that, the most Arrow-y aspect of the show was the ninja fight. Up until then, Daredevil has been going up against regular-joe criminals with fists and guns - and then all of a sudden he's up against a fire-engine-red ninja swinging a scythe on a chain. It was a cool fight, don't get me wrong - but a HUGELY different tone from his other battles.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

seniorservice posted:

Agree to disagree. Stuff like "Avocados at law!" is so cringy to me that it's tempting to fast forward through it.

Weren't they out drinking having fun when this came up, thus becoming an inside joke they later make recalling a time they were out having fun together?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ghostwritingduck posted:

Weren't they out drinking having fun when this came up, thus becoming an inside joke they later make recalling a time they were out having fun together?

Yes. They had been drunk as poo poo.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh my loving god Karen Page is amazing. Just finished Episode 11.

EDIT: And in the end, everybody just drinks their sorrows away.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 28, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Avocados at Law is a very old lawyer joke so yeah, it's good that it's in the show. Also, Foggy is straight up a better lawyer than Matt, like Matt literally works his rear end off to graduate top of his class. Foggy Fucks around goes drinking and graduates top of his class as well. So who do think is smarter?

Matt even says it to Foggy that if he tried he'd be top of the class as well. Instead Foggy fucks around and is still Matts Equal. Like they both were going to get hired by a huge law firm.

Basically Foggy is awesome and his name should not be disparaged.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is Foggy short for anything?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Is Foggy short for anything?

His actual name is Franklin, but I don't follow DD so I dunno how exactly that got turned into Foggy.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

AnonSpore posted:

His actual name is Franklin, but I don't follow DD so I dunno how exactly that got turned into Foggy.

In the comics Matt explains that it's because he snores like a foghorn, something Matt learned when they were roommates.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So Daredevil has both a Foggy and a Fogwell Gym and they are unrelated? That's kinda weird, but OK.

VVVV That would make sense, yeah. Hell's Kitchen also has a port area so I guess foghorns may have been a real thing he would hear (with super hearing) sometimes.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 28, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Light Gun Man posted:

So Daredevil has both a Foggy and a Fogwell Gym and they are unrelated? That's kinda weird, but OK.

Maybe that is where Matt got the inspiration

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
His name is Foghorn. His father was Jonathan Leghorn.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I was thinking about Vanessa and I think her conversation with Fisk in ep05 is pretty much Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis's exchange in True Lies. Arnold had been injected with the truth serum and therefore could tell no lie, Fisk tells Vanessa he will not lie to her. Vanessa and Jamie Lee Curtis are aghast that Wilson/Arnold have been/will be killing people, and Arnold tells Jamie Lee Curtis that "yes, but they're all bad" mirroring Fisk telling Vanessa that he was killing the white-slaving Russians.

The joke is that Vanessa is set on this same slippery slope Americans are on after decades of Tom Clancy-style airport fiction. We're in the Middle East (hell's kitchen) to foster freedom and democracy and nation building, sure we're killing or causing the deaths of a lot of people including hard boiled reporters and little old ladies, "but they're all bad." That's the joke. Fisk is the Bush/Cheney administration and Vanessa is the American public.

Vanessa getting poisoned is basically 9/11.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 28, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Vanessa is mad hot and only a step removed from being a femme fatale so I'm alright with whatever

EDIT: And last episode finished. This goddamn show is so goddamn good hot diggity dog.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Leland Owsley can't melt steel beams.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know much about Marvel's universe, I was always more of a DC kid, but do we have any good speculation on who Stick is talking to at the end of his episode?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

I don't know much about Marvel's universe, I was always more of a DC kid, but do we have any good speculation on who Stick is talking to at the end of his episode?

Stick is probably talking to Stone, another member of The Chase, the group dedicated to fighting The Hand, who are the evil ninjas. Nobu is a member.

I just realized how ridiculous that all sounds.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Highlight of the whole season for me was when Leland tazed Matt and then got in his car and drove away. I wish I could have seen the continued adventures of the world's most apathetic crime lord.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

popewiles posted:

Highlight of the whole season for me was when Leland tazed Matt and then got in his car and drove away. I wish I could have seen the continued adventures of the world's most apathetic crime lord.
That really was completely brilliant and hilarious and I'm bummed about no more Leland.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

dj_clawson posted:

Stick is probably talking to Stone, another member of The Chase, the group dedicated to fighting The Hand, who are the evil ninjas. Nobu is a member.

I just realized how ridiculous that all sounds.

"The Chaste" who believe that human contact in general, and love and sex in particular, weaken a martial artist. Hence Stick giving Matt crap for having friends and a love life.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

seniorservice posted:

Corny inside jokes are a hallmark of emphasizing a close personal relationship. You've literally never had something like that? That's a shame.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

seniorservice posted:

I know its totally unbelievable for two drunk college kids to gently caress up a phrase.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dj_clawson posted:

an impractical ninja weapon wielded by Player 2 Sub-Zero

Nobu's weapon is called a kusarigama. It's a traditional Japanese weapon, very effective at entanglement, and has nothing to do with ninjas.

This has been a public service announcement by the Anachronistic Weaponry Information Bureau. We now return you to your scheduled thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder what the odds are of Nobu making a surprise return next season. The Hand love bringing people back to life and there was talk about them "preparing" his body.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

In the comics Matt explains that it's because he snores like a foghorn, something Matt learned when they were roommates.

Though that's just the later explanation for the 60s as gently caress names a lot of characters had when they were created.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Matt also called him Foggy because the guy likes eating really, really smelly foods, so he walks around in a perpetual fog of food stink.

I seriously want to try Limburger and bacon cheesecake. It sounds just horrible enough to work.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

popewiles posted:

Leland owned every single scene he was in. The whole villain's circle was pretty cool, in all honesty, but Leland really shone in the last few episodes.

I'm curious about Madame Gao--again, I don't know much about Marvel's universe--but she implies she is not from China, and I am doubtful she's a Skrull or something ridiculous, so is there some sort of mythical Asian country in the Marvelverse that she's perhaps alluding to?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Leland owned every single scene he was in. The whole villain's circle was pretty cool, in all honesty, but Leland really shone in the last few episodes.

I'm curious about Madame Gao--again, I don't know much about Marvel's universe--but she implies she is not from China, and I am doubtful she's a Skrull or something ridiculous, so is there some sort of mythical Asian country in the Marvelverse that she's perhaps alluding to?

I don't know either, but I think it's one of the "Mortal Kombat" Realms that will be relevant in Iron Fist.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
We need to have the first post of every page say "MADAME GAO IS PROBABLY CRANE MOTHER, MYSTIC RULER OF K'UN-ZI, ONE OF THE LEGENDARY SEVEN CITIES OF HEAVEN OF WHICH K'UN-LUN, THE ORIGIN OF IRON FIST'S POWER, IS ALSO ONE!"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Just say magic kung fu dimension and move on.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Though that's just the later explanation for the 60s as gently caress names a lot of characters had when they were created.

Yes, Daredevil was created in the era where Stan Lee just said plots off the top of his head and they were written as fast as possible, so lots of stupid, stupid names.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Just say magic kung fu dimension and move on.

This really is the best policy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

seniorservice posted:

But yeah if one of my friends says something corny or awkward, I will absolutely bust their balls about it. I wouldn't say I'd treat them like an idiot, but I'd definitely point out they said something weird or tried to be funny and failed (preferably extremely gently, depending on the friend), otherwise it gets awkward for everyone when nobody laughs.

How many friends do you have? Are they all as witty, funny, charming and sophisticated as you are?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

How many friends do you have? Are they all as witty, funny, charming and sophisticated as you are?

He's probably got over a hundred on Facebook alone.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

He sounds like Napoleon Dynamite tbh.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

popewiles posted:

It wasn't until several hours later I remembered Leland's earlier comment, "I'm gonna get my stun gun out of storage." It made me love that scene even more.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

counterfeitsaint posted:

It wasn't until several hours later I remembered Leland's earlier comment, "I'm gonna get my stun gun out of storage." It made me love that scene even more.

I immediately got the call back, but it wasn't until the simple "rear end in a top hat." as he drove off that got me rolling on the floor from laughter.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What would you like to see in season 2? Matt vs Fisk has been incredibly well done and Kingpin is key to the show, but it'd be fun to see what else they do. Bringing The Hand in of course, maybe the Elektra romance. Personally I'm really hoping they do bring in Bullseye, one of the more notable characters who's has some of my favorite stuff in the comics over the years.

DeKnight said he didn't want to use Bullseye, at least in season 1. Season 2 has different showrunners, plus Charlie Cox just said he'd like Bullseye, Punisher, and Elektra in season 2. He also mentioned Stilt-man, hey why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I maintain the Hand is gonna mostly be a Defenders thing.

Elektra and Bullseye seem like no-brainers at this point. Also more Fisk backstory. No qualifiers. More Fisk backstory in everything. If Age of Ultron doesn't have at least 10 minutes of Fisk backstory it will have failed as a film.