Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Video highlights:

-All combat concerns are being adressed, and there will be a Duscae 2.0 released soon with updated mechanics and content. A normal dodge (this was supposed to be in the demo but had to be sacrificed), more co-op attacks, evade to cancel attacks, more balanced MP usage etc.
-Many said the camera was too close and it was hard to get a good grasp on things. Some also said they liked the camera, so they said they'll make the camera distance something you can choose.
-The AI will be made better so they won't get in your way.
-There will be a minimap and compass.
-They'll look to add button remapping.
-Due to player feedback, they've decided to move forward with framerate being the most pressing concern as far as graphics go, and if the resolution isn't quite up to par, so be it
-America rated the demo at highest at 8.6, Europe at 8.3, and Japan at 8.0
-Japan thought it was too hard. The west thought it was too easy. So they weren't particularly planning on it, but there will be difficulty settings in the full game.
-One of America's biggest concerns was that Noctis had a weird voice. "Yeah, he sounds like Batman!" was the first thing Tabata said. They weren't happy with the voice direction, but it was too late to change for the demo. Will be changed.
-Europe thought Cindy was too sexy. She's not meant to be erotic, but they aren't planning on changing her design too much. They felt it wouldn't be a problem with your parents in the same room.

e: I had more info :colbert:

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Roflan posted:

Note that SAB debuffs slow the stagger meter almost as much as COM. So you can do stuff like RAV/SAB/RAV until it's staggered or fully debuffed, whichever comes first.

Beware that the final bosses have a hidden time limit. After 20 or 30 min, they doom you... I mention that because I ran into that my first time and it was an enraging shock. If your current setup isn't killing them at a fair clip, retry and try a different strat.

Also note, that if you're weird like me, and like the combat system, you can skip all the cutscenes. Speedruns are only about 5:30, making it shorter than FFX.

Honestly the enrage timer to the fights is really dumb because this isn't an MMO, if you want to cheese a fight by being an indestructible brick wall and wear them down you shouldn't be punished for playing that way in a single player RPG. I'm not a fan of the FF13 battle system at all but that probably puts me in a minority around here.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Terper posted:

Video highlights:

-All combat concerns are being adressed, and there will be a Duscae 2.0 released soon with updated mechanics and content. A normal dodge (this was supposed to be in the demo but had to be sacrificed), more co-op attacks, evade to cancel attacks, more balanced MP usage etc.
-Many said the camera was too close and it was hard to get a good grasp on things. Some also said they liked the camera, so they said they'll make the camera distance something you can choose.
-Due to player feedback, they've decided to move forward with framerate being the most pressing concern as far as graphics go, and if the resolution isn't quite up to par, so be it
-Japan thought it was too hard. The west thought it was too easy. So they weren't particularly planning on it, but there will be difficulty settings in the full game.
-One of America's biggest concerns was that Noctis had a weird voice. "Yeah, he sounds like Batman!" was the first thing Tabata said. They weren't happy with the voice direction, but it was too late to change for the demo. Will be changed.
-Europe thought Cindy was too sexy. She's not meant to be erotic, but they aren't planning on changing her design too much. They felt it wouldn't be a problem with your parents in the same room.

Got the top page too beaten by placement and content.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Momomo posted:

How would people in the UK pronounce a name like Cecile?

That one, along with Cecille, seems to be consistently Sesseel most places as far as I can tell. Different vowel sound in the second syllable compared to UK Cecil ("ee" vs. "ih"/"uh").

Unless you're talking about the French Cécile which is much the same except the accent is (as visibly written) on the first syllable instead of the second.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

baram. posted:

FF4 Complete on PSP is the best version.

remake ff6-9 with ff4 complete quality sprites imo

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh yeah, and every region considered Prompto to be the worst character. Poor guy. :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

-Japan thought it was too hard. The west thought it was too easy.

i remember the days when america would specifically get easier games because they figured we couldn't deal with difficulty in our video games

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

Momomo posted:

How would people in the UK pronounce a name like Cecile?

I would assume "ses-ill-ee"

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Cake Attack posted:

i remember the days when america would specifically get easier games because they figured we couldn't deal with difficulty in our video games

There are just as many cases of American versions of NES games being made romhack hard to compensate for the rental market.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Vil posted:

That one, along with Cecille, seems to be consistently Sesseel most places as far as I can tell. Different vowel sound in the second syllable compared to UK Cecil ("ee" vs. "ih"/"uh").

Unless you're talking about the French Cécile which is much the same except the accent is (as visibly written) on the first syllable instead of the second.

Huh. I'm from East Anglia and with my accent I'd definitely end up saying something like Seh-suh-lee. But yeah, ask eight Brits how to pronounce a word and you'll get at least eight different answers.

Terper posted:

Oh yeah, and every region considered Prompto to be the worst character. Poor guy. :(

But Prompto is clearly the best character? Sure, he's inept, but he was clearly the most believable of the four.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 28, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I grew up in France so I'm always confounded when people pronounce Cecil with a long e.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I had no idea "Yang" was pronounced like "young."

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not, just as Sesuul is not how you pronounce "cecil" but the voice acting in a DS game isn't ever going to be that great (see: Suikoden Teirkries).

Re: Yang
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~zhuxj/readpinyin.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5vD384OaI4
It's pronounced Yah-ng in Chinese.

Re: Cecil
I guess you can see the above posts, "See-sul" is kind of a North American thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

-Europe thought Cindy was too sexy.

gently caress Europe.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
See-sill is pretty bad but at least hopefully no one on this green Earth pronounces it sessile.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

epitasis posted:

Uh, I am okay with this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No seriously you could get like some of the Musou megathread posters in here and lay down the Chinese pronunciations like a ton of weirdly tonal, counterintuitively transliterated bricks.

The way Anglophones pronounce "yang" is a bit like hearing someone try to pronounce "feng shui" after reading it without having somebody on TV saying it out loud first. Which is why people can actually sort of pronounce feng shui.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Funniest part of the video was how they thought it strange how Europeans could want a female party member but at the same time complain about the mechanic in a stripper's outfit. Tabata's and the design teamn's explanation about her design was hilarious, too. Apparently the design team put too much of their "hearts and souls" into Cidney, and she's not supposed to be a 'sexy' character. I really enjoy how open Tabata and the team are about the development though and wish more companies would do this.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 28, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mJoi_sty9g

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress Europe.

Terper fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 28, 2015

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

-Noctis will no longer sound like Batman

I'm not sure if i'm happy about this or not. I was amused thinking that Noctis suffered from an old football injury.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I like this design. I'm European so I might be biased though. Where did you get it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is cool.

Also I liked the Batman voice, it made him sound tired all the time which was perfect imo

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Terper posted:

Video highlights:

All good stuff.

The only aspect which kinda blows is that it sounds like they are willing to compromise resolution for frame rate which I understand and would make the same choice, but gently caress! This is why I want a PC release. Let me throw a bunch of my own hardware at the problem please...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress Europe.

There's no such thing as too sexy.

epitasis posted:

Hell, I would just like all the remaining FF games to show up on steam, but 9, 10/X-2 and 12 will never show up because that would require actual effort from SE. We might see the iOS ports of 1, 2, 5 and 6, though. I'd go for those.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress Europe.

Yeah.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The iOS port of 6 is such an ugly game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like the idea the Cindy wasn't 'supposed to be sexy' when she's like three seconds away from starring in a bad skinimax flick at any given moment. It ain't even accidental, they didn't pick those camera angles by mistake.

Just say you wanted your titty mechanic. It's less insulting than us trying to pretend she isn't a titty mechanic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think they missed a 'too' out. 'She wasn't supposed to be too sexy.'

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Terper posted:

Video highlights:

It's strange comparing the promotion of FFXIII with that of FFXV. FFXIII had a tremendous amount of hype both due to the series reputation at the time and how they promoted it. News would come out at irregular intervals. A few screenshots could turn up in a Japanese magazine. There would show footage through the infamous closed megatheater. The demo was a bonus on the Advent Children Blu-Ray release and only available in Japan. All of this was occurring when Western publishers were (rightfully) attempting to reach as many people through trailers, community events, Game Informer covers, and online developer Q&A streaming. It set FFXIII up for sky high expectations.

After it's re-reveal in FFXV, Tabata's team seemed to come hat in hand for feedback. Following FFXIII, there was a general sense their Japanese developers had lost the pulse of the market and placed a greater emphasis on focus-testing, feedback, and community interaction. They have their work cut out for them with FFXV:

A very polarizing response between Japan and the rest of the world, especially considering this was from people who paid money. Some of the tastes are inversely proportional. It seems they've settled on FFXV fitting into the AAA open world mold set by Bethesda and Ubisoft games. However, I'd take a developer that is trying to listen to feedback over someone who does not react to a changing market.

Xavier434 posted:

All good stuff.

The only aspect which kinda blows is that it sounds like they are willing to compromise resolution for frame rate which I understand and would make the same choice, but gently caress! This is why I want a PC release. Let me throw a bunch of my own hardware at the problem please...

I think there is a good chance we'll see a PC version one way or another. Luminous Studios was built for cross-platform development, including PCs. The company has had solid success on Steam with their recent Final Fantasy ports. They're also looking into having all their games playable on streaming services which could lead to PC releases as a side benefit. Valve is also becoming more active in courting Japanese developers onto Steam.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

They have their work cut out for them with FFXV:

I am interested in the response about the world feeling too empty without enough to do. I have not had the chance to play the demo but based on the video footage I saw this is one of my biggest concerns as well. I love the idea of XV being open world with exploration being a key focus, but if there isn't much to find or do while exploring that world then that purpose is mostly defeated. The end result of that will be players ignoring the majority of the world because they feel like there is little reason to explore it. Adding a lot of reasons to explore the world could be time consuming but a little creativity could go a long way when trying to achieve this goal while conserving development resources and without sacrificing quality.

Of course, this assumes that there really isn't enough to explore and do in the world already. It is possible that the demo just didn't show that off yet in order to not overwhelm new players. I have no idea but I am glad that people are talking about it.

Beyond that, the biggest responses there seem to be talking about controls and the battle system which I am happy to hear that SE plans to try and address.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 28, 2015

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
can someone explain how four job fiesta works? the website isnt very informative

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TommyGun85 posted:

can someone explain how four job fiesta works? the website isnt very informative

When I make the thread in a couple of weeks or so, it'll have a fairly thorough explanation.

Note that the website is sparse right now because we're between Fiestas - preregistration doesn't start until June 1 and the Fiesta usually doesn't start for another two weeks afterwards.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TommyGun85 posted:

you get a list of four jobs and those are the only jobs you can use

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought the size of the demo was perfect and I hope they don't feel the need to fill it up with useless "quests" for the sake of padding. It looks really pretty and I prefer to meander through a cool location like that to have it feel crowded with nonsense

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
why are japanese so bad at final fantasy but so good at street fighter

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fighting games only have to cater to the ten people who still take them seriously.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

you get a list of four jobs and those are the only jobs you can use

can you use any jobs until those are unlocked?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

This is cool.

Also I liked the Batman voice, it made him sound tired all the time which was perfect imo

They're still gonna make sure he sounds tired. They specifically wanted to bring out his ennui.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TommyGun85 posted:

can you use any jobs until those are unlocked?

I'll just quote the relevant bit of the thread then:

quote:

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Xavier434 posted:

I am interested in the response about the world feeling too empty without enough to do. I have not had the chance to play the demo but based on the video footage I saw this is one of my biggest concerns as well. I love the idea of XV being open world with exploration being a key focus, but if there isn't much to find or do while exploring that world then that purpose is mostly defeated. The end result of that will be players ignoring the majority of the world because they feel like there is little reason to explore it. Adding a lot of reasons to explore the world could be time consuming but a little creativity could go a long way when trying to achieve this goal while conserving development resources and without sacrificing quality.

Of course, this assumes that there really isn't enough to explore and do in the world already. It is possible that the demo just didn't show that off yet in order to not overwhelm new players. I have no idea but I am glad that people are talking about it.

Beyond that, the biggest responses there seem to be talking about controls and the battle system which I am happy to hear that SE plans to try and address.

It sounds as though many of tweaks were already in progress before the demo released. The demo had features cut in order to meet Type-0 HD's launch.

I think one important thing to consider that most of the successful open world WRPGs have focused on action based combat and player freedom. All of this often came at the cost of the visual and mechanical polish you would typically find in a SE JRPG. A lot of players are willing to accept half-baked gameplay features and technical issues so long as the open world is large and engaging. A game like Two Worlds 2 can become a multi-million seller by having an attractive aesthetic and targeting people who enjoyed Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Tae posted:

why are japanese so bad at final fantasy but so good at street fighter

The biggest difference between the Japanese gaming market and those of a country like the United States is that most Japanese consumers are very casual. Most of them play games to just pass the time or be a part of a popular trend, such as play the mobiel game that's topping the charts. They don’t follow gaming news or even care much about who exactly made their game. It’s just a way to have fun, such as watching a movie or a major sports event. They might only play a few minutes at a time. In the United States, you have a large amount of adults, many of who are married and have children, who play games for several hours each day.

So if a game is difficult or time-consuming, Japanese players may lose interest or sell back the game. Gaming is not an important part of their life so they don’t go out of the way to play a game that doesn’t seem to attract them. It’s just a way to have fun like hanging out with friends. When a developer wants a million or even just 300K+ sales in Japan, they have to take serious consideration of this group.

A lot of Japanese have naturally gravitated to smartphones/mobile devices. It’s convenient to carry around. The games are often available for free and have approachable gameplay. It’s often very trendy with mobile companies spending a lot of money on ads and promotional events. For a casual player, it may not make sense to buy a console for a more hardcore gaming experience if they’re satisfied with what they have with their smartphone.

It's why console sales are flatlining in Japan. They’ve gradually become an awkward middle ground between casual players who are happy with mobile devices and enthusiasts who aren’t getting enough titles that suit their tastes. You can see this disruptive effect in other industries. If you have a cellphone, then you might not see a need for a having a high-end digital camera, an electronic planner, or a music player with better audio.

It’s a very difficult market to compete in. You often have to target a niche yet dedicated group in the domestic market or aim at an overseas market. Could FFXV be a success in the current Japanese console market? It’s possible but the deck is stacked against it and any other console franchise hoping to replicate past success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I forgot how bullshit Ultimate scores were in Theatrhythm, I was on a long quest and nearly got wiped by Blow Me a Kiss on Ultimate, I managed to pass with a tiny sliver of health left and a D rank but holy poo poo gently caress Ultimate scores forever, I foresee me using a lot of Fortune Spheres to bust down any Ultimates I encounter into Experts.