Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

thathonkey posted:

using a google service is considered being tech progressive?

like how gmail is more tech progressive than aol, hotmail, yahoo, etc. nerds use the google thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

thathonkey posted:

using a google service is considered being tech progressive?

Switching services because you compared the one you use to its competitors is the tech-progressive part.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
A new spotify bug: I got a few local folders chosen as my Local Files. However for some reason now they don't show up, there is a random selection of greyed out tracks instead. This of course used to work. If I try and play one these random tracks it tells me I can import them....great.]

EDIT: Restarting Spotify and disabling and enabling those folders again seems to have fixed it.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Any of you planning on checking out Tidal? I wonder how it compares to Spotify.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

queertea posted:

Any of you planning on checking out Tidal? I wonder how it compares to Spotify.

I've been using it this week, and unless you're an audiophile, I don't think there really is much of a reason to switch. If Spotify has a specific bug that currently makes it unusable for you, you might want to check it out, but I've been mostly underwhelmed.

My biggest gripe is that their artist pages are a complete mess. Similar named artists are thrown together. I can kinda understand that for smaller artists, Spotify isn't perfect in that regard either. But if I open the artist page for, say, Genesis, and am presented with albums from at least five different artists, I really can't be bothered. Multiple versions of albums are not collapsed in any way, EVER. Again, that's a feature that's a bit unreliable in Spotify as well, but the fact that it's not there at all makes some artist pages very cluttered. And don't get me started on the even more unpredictable way when and why Singles appear under Albums. The search function is also a bit peculiar in the way the results are ordered. So all in all, the way the main content is displayed is a lot worse than on Spotify in my eyes.

Their library is just about the same as Spotify, with mostly the same holes in it. Yes, they have the Taylor Swift back catalogue. But if you're looking for Björk's Vulnicura, or Peter Gabriel, or AC/DC you're out of luck on Tidal as well. Tidal for some reason displays all of the albums of an artist on the artist page, even if they're unavailable for streaming. While on Spotify, an unavailable album can be simply identified by the missing cover art, this is not the case on Tidal. You have to click on each album to see on the album page if you can actually listen to it, which is very annoying. How positively surprised I was when I saw all of George Harrison's albums pop up on his page! How disappointed I was when I finally found out that I can't stream any of them!
Also, there are some cases where I've been missing stuff that's on Spotify (e.g. "Giza" by "Gatekeeper"). Videos are integrated into the service, which is nice, I guess? It's just not what I need a music streaming app for at all, though your mileage may vary.

Their editorial content (i.e. playlists) is pretty good, right now even a bit more interesting than what Spotify has to offer. However, some of the artist currated playlists pretty much scream :effort:.

Some nice Spotify features like shared playlists or playlist folders don't exist. The same goes for adding local files. The Android app seems to work fine. There is no desktop app available, so when you're on your PC/Mac you have to use the web player, which is another minus in my book.

All of that is already enough to make me stick with Spotify for now. But Tidal has a free trial period, so I can only suggest to test it if you're unhappy with Spotify's current incarnation. If anyone has had a different experience I'd also like to hear about it. Most of the stuff you find online right now is people (rightfully) complaining about the ridiculous marketing campaign.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 3, 2015

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.
Spotify's artist page for 'harlem' has three separate bands all on the same page.

It's norwegian metal, indie punk, and 40's style jazz. I like to just put it on shuffle.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Tidal has the same vor "Harlem" ;). And yeah, that's why I mentioned that the artist pages on Spotify aren't great either. But they seem to put some effort into cleaning them up, at least for larger artists.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Spotify has inexplicably decided that the title track on this album with its Daytrotter version.

What.

Edit: apparently having that in my local files collection magically replaces the album track despite them having different album names. Good job Spotify.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 12, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah if you have a lot of local files that you want to enhance a streaming lib with imho dont waste your time with Spotify. This feature is utterly broken. I've heard google play does it much better

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.
For the past three days my Spotify has listed me and everyone on my family plan as a free member, even though we have a premium membership. It just started working properly again, but a bunch of other people are having this problem as well, and the Spotify support staff is just shrugging their shoulders and telling people to wait. That's bullshit :argh:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

thathonkey posted:

Yeah if you have a lot of local files that you want to enhance a streaming lib with imho dont waste your time with Spotify. This feature is utterly broken. I've heard google play does it much better

The problems I have with Google Play are the lack of a native client (though running it separately in Chrome is probably enough of a compromise and what I'd have to do anyway since I've removed Flash) and that you have to make sure you upload files with correct tags because editing them in Google Play is a massive pain. Admittedly, Spotify is poo poo at it too, but since it doesn't require uploading to the cloud, it's less awful. Not sure why Google Play seems so slow to upload/download anything, since I'd think Google wouldn't have any issues with bandwidth, but I never seem to get more than 1Mbs in either direction.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is it possible to find which playlist a bunch of songs came off of? I was at an event earlier today that was playing off a Spotify channel but no one could tell me what the name was.
The xx - Intro
Ambinate - Horizon
Gold Panda - You
Youandewan - Anjoy (Original Mix)
Tycho - Awake
Glasser - Tramel (Jamie XX Remix)
Moderat - Les Grandes Marches

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, why do my ALAC files in my Spotify playlists play on my synced iPhone, but not on my actual Spotify setup on my PC?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

My desktop spotify doesn't play any local files anymore :iiam:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any reason I have to add songs track by track to my starred playlist in the web app? such a pain

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

cebrail posted:

My desktop spotify doesn't play any local files anymore :iiam:

The latest update seems to have hosed local file playback hard. It will do really fun things. Do you have a local file that is a different version of a track that exists in Spotify's library? Spotify will randomly replace their track with that one! It also did fun things like randomly shuffle track names around within the same album. Why does telling Spotify to play track 4 play track 7 of an album? Who knows!

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Yeah the 1.0 update was a serious stepback. Plenty of people went back to a < 0.9 version, because it simply worked a lot better and had a lot more features. Why did Spotify remove the option to filter a playlist with ctrl+F? Who knows!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Running 0.9.15.27.g87efe634 on win32 as long as feasible. I can't be arsed to migrate to some other service, so hopefully the old client will keep on working forever, or Spotify gets their poo poo together and fixes the new one.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
patiently waiting for spotify to let me resize column widths again in the various track views....

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do yo ugo back to a old version?

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

Abu Dave posted:

How do yo ugo back to a old version?

http://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/wiki/1011060gc75ebdfd#wiki_reverting_to_an_older_version_.28without_automatic_updates.29

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks this is much better.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Why the hell does clicking on the current playing song open the QUEUE instead of where the song is playing in the playlist? God dammit.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Started just using Foobar2000 for my local files since I have a bunch of stuff from bandcamp anyway, and am reminded how much better it is than any other music player I've ever used back from the days when I just pirated everything.

I've thought about using despotify for a while but it doesn't look like there's much of an ecosystem around it, and the one foobar2000 plugin for it appears to be dead.

Wish more bands were on bandcamp--I don't want to use iTunes and Google Music is only sorta-DRM free with their dumb "you can only direct download tracks (even ones purchased from Play) 2x, otherwise you have to use the Chrome App or Music Manager," both of which are kind of terrible. The 2x thing brings up horrible memories of when my parents bought me a minidisc player rather than an mp3 player and I had to use Sony's horrible management software with their wonderful OpenMG DRM that they applied to all the music I listened to at the time, which wasn't pirated because it was released freely to begin with.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife was a Grooveshark user and I've been with Spotify for a while. Now that Grooveshark has been shut down, my wife plans on joining Spotify at the 99 cent for three month promotion. She already has a free Spotify account which she will upgrade.

Once that period is up, we plan to star a Family account. Will she be able to keep her username when we create family account, and her playlists?

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS

me your dad posted:

My wife was a Grooveshark user and I've been with Spotify for a while. Now that Grooveshark has been shut down, my wife plans on joining Spotify at the 99 cent for three month promotion. She already has a free Spotify account which she will upgrade.

Once that period is up, we plan to star a Family account. Will she be able to keep her username when we create family account, and her playlists?

My experience from going from two premium accounts to a family plan was that I had to change my wife's plan to non premium first. Then it was simple to get her on the family plan. Username and playlists all survived the transfer.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I took Spotify up on the 99cents for 3 months offer after dropping them due to the Facebook sign-in requirement way back. I got them to unlink the account etc... and their customer service is pretty accommodating. I figured I would try it because I wish Google Play had an independent program for PC use and their "Radio" stuff leaves a lot to be desired. But Spotify seems to have its own problems, like the lack of a rating system. There is a "Starred" playlist, but as far as I can tell, no way to star things. Further, how do I tell Spotify that I don't like a song when I am playing from the community lists? Why is thumbs-up/thumbs-down option only available when building a personal radio station? Do I have to just "+" everything I like?

Can anyone who has tried multiple monthly services Spotify, Play, maybe Beats, and Tidal break down the pro's and con's? (or direct me to the appropriate thread?)

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The "Starred" playlist doesn't actually serve a purpose anymore - Spotify changed from the star system to a "My Library" system a little while back. The only reason the "Starred" playlist still exists is that older users would literally riot if they just got rid of it, but I don't expect new users will find it to have much value.

I've used all of the services you mentioned, though it's been too long since I've used Play to offer any reasonable pros/cons. All my friends are on Spotify, but I honestly don't like very much about it. A lot of its features are half-baked, their radio is often arbitrary, and they tend to unilaterally add or remove options without consulting their userbase. Recently, for example, they deleted the option to "unlink" local files that were associated with wrong tracks in Spotify's library. That's not a small issue, and they've been clear that bringing it back isn't a priority. I feel they're getting complacent, if not arrogant, and could use some legitimate competition.

Tidal has better sound quality, but that entirely depends on if you can hear it or have a system to take advantage. I really liked their staff playlists - both their theme lists/label samplers and their "new (genre) songs" lists - but it feels like they're moving towards celebrity playlists and "exclusives," which I don't have much use for. They have a standard $10/mo. tier that isn't "hi-def," but I probably couldn't justify it without something closer to "critical mass" as far as a user base.

Everyone makes fun of Beats, but Beats (and before, MOG) have always given me the best recommendations by far. As much as it's linked to hip-hop, I actually compare it more to old-school Netflix - it can't really win on new releases, but it can recommend some forgotten album from 1982 or some indie rock oddity that might become your new favorite thing. Beats has put all their eggs in the mobile basket, though, so the desktop experience has become absolutely abysmal (like, you can't create new playlists from your computer). I don't know why they thought that would be a good idea, but it's a legitimate dealbreaker. May get better when Apple flips the switch on whatever they're doing.

At the moment, I'm buying tracks and using Pandora/free Spotify as samplers. I have Amazon Prime, but I literally never even think to open the music app on my phone.

[EDIT: Beats doesn't have ratings, but you can "heart" a song if you like it. It doesn't add the song to your library or to a playlist, though - it literally only serves to guide the service's future recommendations. It's like a thumbs up on Pandora, but it's available outside of the radio service. It's useful in that respect, but it means that you have to take two separate steps if you find a song that you like.]

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 13, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't My Library have a limit though?

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I tried Google Play for a month recently after reading this thread. I gave it a whole month but went back to Spotify at the end. The comparison points for me were:

Spotify:

+ Desktop app

+ Social features (collaborative playlists, see what friends are listening to)

+ Better industry support (e.g record label / DJ playlists)

+ More obvious development (although it still feels too slow)

+ Better recognition of distinction between albums and singles

- Developers seem like dicks

Google play:

+ Slightly better selection (in my experience)

+ Can add missing music to library

+ Visualisations

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

The Modern Leper posted:

The "Starred" playlist doesn't actually serve a purpose anymore - Spotify changed from the star system to a "My Library" system a little while back. The only reason the "Starred" playlist still exists is that older users would literally riot if they just got rid of it, but I don't expect new users will find it to have much value.

i still use the starred playlist and i would literally riot if they got rid of it

mine currently has over 25000 songs on it. i basically treat it like i treat my music library at home putting full artist discographies and shuffling it. the "your music" thing they added to replace it is completely useless to me for this purpose because of the 10k song limit. i have been trying to just use it as something where i just put my favorite albums to quickly listen to, but i end up just using the starred playlist anyway so there isn't much point. you can quickly add stuff to the starred playlist still by dragging them to the playlist or right clicking and adding them to the starred list that way... not as easy as just clicking the star next to whatever you want to add, but at least it is something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I'm gonna be pretty irritated if they remove the starred playlist because it is way too late for me to be migrating all that poo poo somewhere else.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

It's basically just another playlist at this point though right? Like, you could create a playlists called 'starred' and it would be the same?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

GTO posted:

It's basically just another playlist at this point though right? Like, you could create a playlists called 'starred' and it would be the same?

that is always what it was

i think normal playlists also have a limit on number of songs, though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah normal playlists have a song limit and the starred one doesn't. It's just that when you already have a ton of music in a spot, it gets to the point where you can't easily transition somewhere else. I really doubt the playlist itself is going anywhere (why would it?) but if for some insane reason they gave it the axe, that's hundreds or even thousands of songs just gone.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

This probably sounds like a really retarded question, but can someone tell me the point of a huge "library" in an online app, whether it's through starring or via the My Library stuff? I get having 5-20 albums on there for easy access, but if you have 25000 songs in a starred playlist, how does that make finding a song/album/artist faster than just typing it in the regular search box? I mean, it's not like you need to save anything when it's all just links to digital files. But everyone seems to treat it like an actual collection and I don't get it at all.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

cebrail posted:

This probably sounds like a really retarded question, but can someone tell me the point of a huge "library" in an online app, whether it's through starring or via the My Library stuff? I get having 5-20 albums on there for easy access, but if you have 25000 songs in a starred playlist, how does that make finding a song/album/artist faster than just typing it in the regular search box? I mean, it's not like you need to save anything when it's all just links to digital files. But everyone seems to treat it like an actual collection and I don't get it at all.

i shuffle the 25000 song playlist so i dont have to pick something and i find new favorite songs from bands i know i like that way

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cebrail posted:

You shuffle it so it's like a radio station of only music you like

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I have all of 'my music' (previously the starred playlist) set to auto sync to my mobile devices. So the library is basically what you can listen to on the move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

inSTAALed posted:

i shuffle the 25000 song playlist so i dont have to pick something and i find new favorite songs from bands i know i like that way

bowmore posted:

You shuffle it so it's like a radio station of only music you like

Ah ok, then it's just just a difference in how we listen to music. I want to listen to something specific most of the time, and if I don't I prefer to listen to something I don't necessarily know, which tends to be an actual (online) radio station or Pandora because Spotifys radio function is so unbelievably horrible.

• Locked thread