Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

rust3d posted:

I am really glad you like my hot sauce, I think it is pretty tasty as well.

Shipping only took a long time from my kickstarter, but now that I am up and going I am shipping out every week. Most everything is shipped priority 2 day so it comes at a reasonable speed.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Edit: Coupon code for 10% off is "paylessmoney" https://fymhotsauce.com

Just placed an order. Excited to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Anyone else out there occasionally make a peanut butter and hot sauce sandwich? My go to for this is either Franks or Louisiana but I'm curious if anyone's tried it with something else.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Quiet Feet posted:

Anyone else out there occasionally make a peanut butter and hot sauce sandwich? My go to for this is either Franks or Louisiana but I'm curious if anyone's tried it with something else.

:staredog:

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Quiet Feet posted:

I use sriracha and also put sliced raw onion on there as well. People might ask you to brush your teeth.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Gross.

FetusSlapper posted:

I use sriracha and also put sliced raw onion on there as well. People might ask you to brush your teeth.

Double gross.

:gonk:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

kloa posted:

Gross.

You must be really fun in a Thai restaurant.

Seriously though I know it sounds a little odd but I think spiciness and peanuts go well together.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Quiet Feet posted:

Seriously though I know it sounds a little odd but I think spiciness and peanuts go well together.

Seconding the Sriracha.

I also like using really fruity, blazing hot, mango habanero styles. Effectively makes it a PBJP ( Peanut butter, jelly & pain).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Quiet Feet posted:

I know a guy who's son makes ramen and throws in some peanut butter and sriracha to make a ghetto pad thai. TBH I kinda want to try it.

Back to hot sauces, I finally got around to trying Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce and holy gently caress that burned my tongue for like 10 minutes. That's from taking a few drops on my tongue. On a sandwich it was great but god drat that poo poo was too much for me on it's own. :supaburn:

Edit: I should clarify, I love Dave's Total Insanity Sauce and don't have a problem taking a few drops straight up.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 3, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How is total insanity? I love insanity and use it as my go-to hot sauce.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Shbobdb posted:

How is total insanity? I love insanity and use it as my go-to hot sauce.

drat near the same thing except more garlic and a bit hotter. Overall it's easy to switch to from regular old insanity sauce.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Whenever my family goes down to Florida for a vacation, on the way back up I-75 they stop at a place in Georgia called Magnolia Plantation. It's a gas station and little market/convenience-store with assorted local produce, candies, and sauces/dressings of various sorts, most of which are Vidalia Onion-based. Their Flame-Roasted Habanero Hotsauce is a wonderful thing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone ever go to Firehouse subs? One of their gimmicks is a hot sauce bar. It's pretty rad. You can try out a poo poo ton of sauces before buying a bottle. It's saved me from buying a few lovely sauces and turned me on to quite a few more.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Croatoan posted:

Anyone ever go to Firehouse subs? One of their gimmicks is a hot sauce bar. It's pretty rad. You can try out a poo poo ton of sauces before buying a bottle. It's saved me from buying a few lovely sauces and turned me on to quite a few more.

They have all the good sauces there and the subs are loving delicious.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The sandwich was decent, but I'm sort of offended by the "Firemen are just naturally SANDWICH GODS" marketing hype. I mean good for them for their entrepreneurial sucess, but the firemen I've known in real life have been bland, meat-and-potatoes/fast food type eaters. Besides, exposure to structure fires tends to dampen one's sense of smell.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Squashy Nipples posted:

Besides, exposure to structure fires tends to dampen one's sense of smell.
That's what the hot sauce is for.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Squashy Nipples posted:

The sandwich was decent, but I'm sort of offended by the "Firemen are just naturally SANDWICH GODS" marketing hype. I mean good for them for their entrepreneurial sucess, but the firemen I've known in real life have been bland, meat-and-potatoes/fast food type eaters. Besides, exposure to structure fires tends to dampen one's sense of smell.

I don't think that's the intention. I believe the chain was started by a former fireman and of course they give discounts to public safety.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Senior Funkenstien posted:

They have all the good sauces there and the subs are loving delicious.

I love the hot sauce bar, but I'd really have to disagree on the second part. I'd put it as sub-Subway tier sandwiches.

Back on-topic - i picked up some of this last time I was in Mexico:

Anybody seen it stateside? It uses habaneros and xcatic peppers, the latter of which i've never seen in the states. It's a really weird flavor. kinda funky and tangy, with not a lot of heat. Goes well on a lot of things, especially pork.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

rj54x posted:

I love the hot sauce bar, but I'd really have to disagree on the second part. I'd put it as sub-Subway tier sandwiches.

Back on-topic - i picked up some of this last time I was in Mexico:

Anybody seen it stateside? It uses habaneros and xcatic peppers, the latter of which i've never seen in the states. It's a really weird flavor. kinda funky and tangy, with not a lot of heat. Goes well on a lot of things, especially pork.

Can't be serious as subway is the garbage tier of sandwhich shops. The extra long cheeseburger at Burger King is more of a sub than the poo poo subway peddles.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

goodness posted:

Can't be serious as subway is the garbage tier of sandwhich shops. The extra long cheeseburger at Burger King is more of a sub than the poo poo subway peddles.

Absolutely correct. Which explains how I feel about Firehouse pretty succinctly :)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
But you are the only one in the world who likes subway over any other chain. Their ingredients are low quality, their bread is poo poo, their corporate is really bad at hiring people from what I have seen.

rj54x posted:

Absolutely correct. Which explains how I feel about Firehouse pretty succinctly :)

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

goodness posted:

But you are the only one in the world who likes subway over any other chain. Their ingredients are low quality, their bread is poo poo, their corporate is really bad at hiring people from what I have seen.

You have really strong feelings about whether one awful sandwich chain is better than another awful sandwich chain.

Pro-choice - go get a good sandwich from someplace that is neither of these two.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

goodness posted:

Sorry man, but their quality is much better then BK... if nothing else, the bread is fresh baked.
Also, "corporate" doesn't do the hiring, outside of airports and rest stops, the vast majority of the Subway stores are independently owned.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rj54x posted:

Pro-choice - go get a good sandwich from someplace that is neither of these two.
Let me tell you about places where Subway is the only option :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sorry man, but their quality is much better then BK... if nothing else, the bread is fresh baked.
Also, "corporate" doesn't do the hiring, outside of airports and rest stops, the vast majority of the Subway stores are independently owned.

The bread is actually what I hate about subways the most. Have never had a good experience with it. Usually it's so dry it crumbles to dust as I eat it.

Publix has the best subs.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying all the hot sauce I got down in NOLA. My favorite is probably this sweet potato habenero one. Hopefully I can remake it from the little bit I have left.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

goodness posted:

Publix has the best subs.

Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY IS THE SCARFACE CUBAN SUB AT PUBLIX, WHICH IS A COLD CUBAN ON WHOLE GRAIN BREAD AND ALL THE FIXINS EXCEPT OLIVES

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Subway carries "veggie patties" at most locations (actually, GardenBurger brand veggie burgers), and they have locations EVERYWHERE. That's important to me because I live with a vegetarian: when we are out on the road traveling, Subway is often the only place we can get her some protein. BurgerKing is the only burger place that sells veggie burgers, but I generally avoid BK, as I don't like their food.

CommonShore posted:

Check Walmart. Seriously.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Locations in central and Northern New Hampshire stock the red/green/black. In the urban sprawl of the southern plains, you will likely fair better.

CommonShore posted:

I'm in Canada, and not in an area with a notable mexican population. They just have that and the regular green flavour in the small bottles, one facing of each. In fact, Walmart is the only store that carries several basic "American" ingredients, like Old Bay seasoning, at least at a reasonable price.

I'd like to think that I'm pretty good about admitting when I'm wrong, so... I was wrong about this.

My local Walmart did indeed have El Yucateco in the ethnic section! However, they didn't have any of the Extra Hot, just regular red and green, plus black label. The woman and I didn't really care for The Black label, it was overwhelmingly smoky, with very little heat. Disappointing, we both love the green stuff.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cool! Glad that I didn't lead you on a wild goose chase due to international variances in Walmart stock. I think mine actually just has green and x-hot, strangely enough.

MVega
Jan 20, 2012

You're disgusted at yourself. You don't want to betray any more. Now you want to respect the law. Some give flowers. Some, precious objects. You bring me your life as a gift. You are not afraid to die. This is why you are a dangerous enemy.
Are there any definitive sources on hot sauce from around the world? I've been on a real hot sauce kick lately but I find the information on regional variations of hot sauce lacking. I have a lot of grocery stores where I live including ones dedicated specifically to different ethnic groups and I really enjoy the different tastes. I don't really care these days about finding the hottest sauce from the current record holder for hottest pepper, but I really enjoy the different variations in taste and using it for my cooking. For example I have hot sauces from Mexico, Belize, and some Caribbean and they all have distinct flavors even though many of them use habanero peppers. That's not even getting into the very large differences in composition like the Indian pickled sauces, chili oil, gochujang.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have to bring poo poo in for cinco de mayo next week. I'll probably bring a couple things in but I'm going to make a super loving hot salsa.

Not stupid hot like Dave's Insanity or something but just something pretty loving hot.

Probably roast a couple of anaheims, a handful of jalapenos, a bigger handful of serranos, and maybe like 2 habeneros, then try to even it out a little bit with some onion and maybe tomato and a little sugar and a splash of vinegar.

Sound good?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lime and cilantro, forget the vinegar. Really though, make it how you like it as you'll be the only one eating it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

wormil posted:

Lime and cilantro, forget the vinegar. Really though, make it how you like it as you'll be the only one eating it.

This. Unless you know for a fact other people like "pretty loving hot" salsa you're gonna be the only one eating it for enjoyment. Some poor schmuck may end up eating some by accident, but beyond that you're probably it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Smoked some chicken legs over cherry wood for dinner tonight. Slathered them in a Hawaiian bbq sauce made with Trinidad Scorpions and some other goodies by a local guy I met at the farmers market a few weeks back. Not only was it a great spice level, but also amazingly flavorful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

This. Unless you know for a fact other people like "pretty loving hot" salsa you're gonna be the only one eating it for enjoyment. Some poor schmuck may end up eating some by accident, but beyond that you're probably it.

I'm going to put a bit fat caution sticker on it.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Bob Morales posted:

I'm going to put a bit fat caution sticker on it.

I did this two years ago at my company Christmas party, was actually for spicy sausage dip though. I think my sign said "Warning: this is very hot, you may think you like hot, but think again, I'm Serious, you have been Warned!!"

It was hilarious cause the sign made it almost like a challenge, pretty much everyone had to step up, though many regretted it, but not all. One lady came up to me and asked if I liked Thai food, cause she said that dip was like Thai hot +10 .

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just bought this

hot sauce?

ooooooo

Shaken:
It's just vinegar, water, salt, and oleoresin of capsicum. It's super fun to have out on the table. I might never use it, but it's a fun part of the collection.

Also I just realised I collect hot sauce now.

edit: oh cripes my thumbs are filthy. Sorry, was managing a fire pit.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 29, 2015

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Suspect Bucket posted:

I just bought this

hot sauce?

ooooooo

Shaken:
It's just vinegar, water, salt, and oleoresin of capsicum. It's super fun to have out on the table. I might never use it, but it's a fun part of the collection.

Also I just realised I collect hot sauce now.

edit: oh cripes my thumbs are filthy. Sorry, was managing a fire pit.

Congratulations, you now own a non-functional lava lamp that tastes like sour, salty burning.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CleverHans posted:

Congratulations, you now own a non-functional lava lamp that tastes like sour, salty burning.

That's what they told your dad on his honeymoon :wiggle:

I honestly don't care, it looks funny and was five bucks. I'd say i've gotten my five bucks worth just playing with it and showing it to friends, but I also got Saints Row 2 for 5bux, so that's really wrecked the money-fun curve.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
If there are any fellow Chicagoons ITT, I highly recommend checking out Habanero Grill in the west loop. Ask for the Habanero sauce, it is extremely spicy but oh so delicious.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/haba-nero-baja-grill-chicago

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made an infused white wine vinegar with dried birds-eye chilis, szechuan peppercorns, anchos, and tellicherry peppercorns. It hurts so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

If there are any fellow Chicagoons ITT, I highly recommend checking out Habanero Grill in the west loop. Ask for the Habanero sauce, it is extremely spicy but oh so delicious.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/haba-nero-baja-grill-chicago

There are like 3 or 4 more of these in the loop/river north