Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If I remember right, the Turbo gets you a real big boost going from 0 or low speed, but the engine tunes can help maintain better acceleration once the turbo peters out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I am in the unfortunate situation of none of my shitbag irl friends being interested enough in this to get the game at full price, and they'll probably wait till it goes on sale in ~5 years. So if anyone needs a bad semi-competent player on PC for heists/wants to help said bad player actually do some heists at some point or what have you, shoot me a friend request. I'm not in a crew at the moment, though I might join LLJK soon.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/iblameroadsuess

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

OK gentle goons, I need some suggestions on which vehicles I should purchase from here. Looking for fun times/comdey/useful, not really a big supercar fan.

Here's what I have already:
Kuruma (Armored)
Sultan RS
Paradise
Rat-Loader
Sanchez
Enduro
PCJ 600
Elegy RH8
Bati 801

Valkyrie
Insurgent

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Carbonizzare's are awesome, but they're sporty so they might fall into your supercar category.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Funky Valentine posted:

The LEgendary Motorsports site sells in for $90,000.

I think it's the cheapest car on that site.

It won't let me buy it, says sold out. Rockstar said they'd transfer collector's edition content to new platforms, but I don't have access to it. Or have they not done that yet? I might have to put in another ticket for them to ignore.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hellfaucet posted:

OK gentle goons, I need some suggestions on which vehicles I should purchase from here. Looking for fun times/comdey/useful, not really a big supercar fan.

The Sandking XL is awesome. It can drive straight over many barriers that other vehicles get stuck on and seats four, too. You can steal and claim them for yourself, which ought to save you a bunch of money.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

hellfaucet posted:

Kuruma (Armored)
Sultan RS
Paradise
Rat-Loader
Sanchez
Enduro
PCJ 600
Elegy RH8
Bati 801

Valkyrie
Insurgent

Z-Type

Edit: Seriouspost, the Buffalo S handles like a dream when you upgrade it, and has decent speed and acceleration to boot. Probably one of the most "useful" cars I have.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 28, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hellfaucet posted:

Kuruma (Armored)
Sultan RS
Paradise
Rat-Loader
Sanchez
Enduro
PCJ 600
Elegy RH8
Bati 801

Valkyrie
Insurgent

Dominator, with the carbon louvers over the back window.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I've got a carbonizzare and an akuma and they're both cool especially the akuma. The combination of cornering ability and acceleration make it a noob owning machine

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

hellfaucet posted:

Futo for fun times, Panto for comedy and a Jester because they're useful and easy to drive.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I hit crew rank 10 so been sticking crew emblems on some of my vehicles, not used the paint except on the one car that I've been after for ages and had pretty much just drive right up to me outside the airport LSC, a convertible Tornado, it's got a matte blue body and crew coloured roof. One odd thing, the crew emblem on the armoured Karuma is on the door, but only on one side.

What is a good bike fore wheelies and where can I grab one, I had one of the Lost choppers but sold it (worth about 10k iirc) and the Hakuchou just accelerates too fast.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 28, 2015

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

rt4 posted:

Does turbo completely eliminate the need for the engine upgrades or are the performance stat bars useless? Turbo on its own seems to max it out for the Sandking.

Engine upgrades are never obsolete.

SplitSoul posted:

I believe they go beyond the bars, but don't quote me on that.

They absolutely do go beyond the bars and it's really easy to test. Some cars can fill the bar before you add turbo to them. Testing a car with everything except turbo, against a car with everything and turbo easily shows that even though both cars have a full acceleration bar the one with turbo is faster.

Pile on all the upgrades if you plan to use it for racing.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does getting to a heist setup count as a race?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Did ya call Mors Mutual to see if it just needed to be returned after destruction?

Nope, turns out it's totally gone. Gutted.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

rt4 posted:

Does getting to a heist setup count as a race?

Yes.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

ijyt posted:

My Sultan RS seems to have disappeared as well.... :smith:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ijyt posted:

Ticket it and if it was due to a bug they will give you some cash to replace it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
None of this fancy car nonsense, it's all about beach bummin'

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

sooo do trainers work Online? can I just hack in all the money and cars I lost while importing? Seems like Rock star aren't super bothered anymore

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Behold! The power of teamwork!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jUQLGI6LXc

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StabMasterArson posted:

sooo do trainers work Online? can I just hack in all the money and cars I lost while importing? Seems like Rock star aren't super bothered anymore

You can try, but they might yank it all away, whereas they won't yank away the cash they give you when they finish responding to a ticket.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CJ posted:

Ticket it and if it was due to a bug they will give you some cash to replace it.

I literally just got ticketed money from cars I lost during the transfer, so I'll just use that. v:v:v

Luckily I hadn't gotten around to modding it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hellfaucet posted:

Kuruma (Armored)
Sultan RS
Paradise
Rat-Loader
Sanchez
Enduro
PCJ 600
Elegy RH8
Bati 801

Valkyrie
Insurgent

Do not buy a PCJ 600 you can steal one for free and keep it.
Any car under $100k you can steal for free and then take home and insure. Ones over 100k you have to buy though.

The Kuruma, Sultan and RH8 are all really amazing.

The Coil Voltic is insanely fast for how cheap it is and I recommend it to everybody, fastest acceleration in the game. No engine noise though :smith:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

It sucks that you would have to resort to that because rockstar majorly hosed up the transfer for many players. Remember it took weeks for Rockstar to address all the DNS hacking - though bans and moving to the cheaters pool started before that.

If you do, let us know when you get banned or sent to the cheater's pool.

How fast do other games usually respond to things like trainers and / or other cheat methods if at all? I really can't believe there isn't even a SHA1 checksum since Trainer is basically just replacing files with modded ones.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can try, but they might yank it all away, whereas they won't yank away the cash they give you when they finish responding to a ticket.

I've had one up since i was told to by this thread, so a few days after release. I bought it to play Online and nightmare mode isnt much fun

geeves posted:

How fast do other games usually respond to things like trainers and / or other cheat methods if at all? I really can't believe there isn't even a SHA1 checksum since Trainer is basically just replacing files with modded ones.

It's honestly super weird that rockstar have nothing in place to prevent against this stuff. its like they dont want to sell shark cards

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So the driving and strength stats are broken in lobbies? They all show about one bar, even when my driving is three bars. I saw a level 100 guy and he had them that low too.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

StabMasterArson posted:

It's honestly super weird that rockstar have nothing in place to prevent against this stuff. its like they dont want to sell shark cards

It's weird because Warframe has functional anti cheat despite using a similar peer to peer hosted servers. I think their Diablo style loot drops might actually be handled by a backend based off information from the host and it's setup to notice fraudulent behaviour.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Carecat posted:

It's weird because Warframe has functional anti cheat despite using a similar peer to peer hosted servers. I think their Diablo style loot drops might actually be handled by a backend based off information from the host and it's setup to notice fraudulent behaviour.

Yeah, I don't think the issue isn't really peer-to-peer. You have to connect to R* servers to download character information and use their servers to match other players. It wouldn't be that costly on startup to checksum certain files like dsound.dll and others that are susceptible against a hash of matching values from the servers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Carecat posted:

So the driving and strength stats are broken in lobbies? They all show about one bar, even when my driving is three bars. I saw a level 100 guy and he had them that low too.

Stats are SUPER hosed in lobbies.

I constantly see myself as max stealth and my friend as max shooting and neither of us have those stats near that level.

Just completely ignore stats in lobbies, they lie more often than not. Its a weird stupid bug.

geeves posted:

Other games usually let you do whatever you want single player and then have the server maintain the rules in multiplayer. Which I believe is what GTA Online does.

If you wanna hack your single player almost nobody in the video game industry gives a gently caress. Its really hard to guard against anyways if people can really do it offline.

The only places where videogames give a gently caress about hacks AT ALL are MMOs (where inherent client-server makes it difficult, and cheating ruins the experience for everybody instead of a few people on one server) and serious competitive games like CSGO (which usually run watchdog programs in the background to scan memory)

Does the trainer work online? I wouldn't think so. Even if they did it'd probably be temporary and wouldn't save to your account next time you logged in, and then R* would probably ban you before long.

SHA1 checksum? On what? That wouldn't really accomplish much dude and it would have issues; nobody does that in games.
Can you imagine if the game would just crash for some people because of some false flag? Its not worth the trouble.
Even if it only fucks over one legitimate customer, that's bad.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 28, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At this point I'd probably prefer pubbies hacking at least their levels so I can stop getting level 10 guys with no durability through matchmaking all the time :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bleh, bought the marina apartment for my classic cars, hoping for a nice view of the water. Nope, no view at all. What a scam.

Also, do you guys have recommendations for (at least) 3 more classic cars to fill out my garage?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

orcane posted:

At this point I'd probably prefer pubbies hacking at least their levels so I can stop getting level 10 guys with no durability through matchmaking all the time :(

You can't hack skill. I've had so many pubbies that were level 20-40 that just run up and get shot and respawn and do it again until our team is completely out of lives.

I wish there was a game mode that forced it so each player could only use up 1 life total. I hate that one guy can eat through the whole team's stock.

That lovely player should have to watch us play, so maybe they learn something.

I had a whole string of missions yesterday with like 6 people where all but me and one other guy died instantly each time, but me and that one other guy had no problem doing the missions just by ourselves. Some people are REALLY lovely at GTA :v:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Does the trainer work online? I wouldn't think so. Even if they did it'd probably be temporary and wouldn't save to your account next time you logged in, and then R* would probably ban you before long.

SHA1 checksum? On what? That wouldn't really accomplish much dude and it would have issues; nobody does that in games.
Can you imagine if the game would just crash for some people because of some false flag? Its not worth the trouble.
Even if it only fucks over one legitimate customer, that's bad.

People are hacking online like nobody's business. There is comically little server side protection because the game is hosted P2P.
A lot of games do checksums on files to make sure they match what the server is running, it's especially common in FPS games where people would replace player skins with neon green flats and remove all clutter and foliage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Icept posted:

People are hacking online like nobody's business. There is comically little server side protection because the game is hosted P2P.
A lot of games do checksums on files to make sure they match what the server is running, it's especially common in FPS games where people would replace player skins with neon green flats and remove all clutter and foliage.

File checksums aren't enough because you can do RAM hack replacement poo poo, so at that point if you want security you really need something like PunkBuster to scan memory.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's been a good couple weeks in GTA Online, too bad Rockstar is never gonna fix the hacks and it's going to spiral into a totally unplayable mess

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
There were workarounds ofc. but the games still had the basic functionality. CoD:MW2 (also P2P) had a huge scene for this kind of poo poo because it was protected only by a CRC32 hash IIRC, which could be bruteforced to match on the hacked files.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Okay, someone in the thread said that you could break GTA Online using CheatEngine? I don't actually know what that entails but it doesn't exactly sound secure. I'd like to know exactly how hosed all this is, because a friend of mine is considering buying it on PC, and the one thing stopping him at the moment is that he's also considering getting a PS4.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

ijyt posted:

Bleh, bought the marina apartment for my classic cars, hoping for a nice view of the water. Nope, no view at all. What a scam.

Also, do you guys have recommendations for (at least) 3 more classic cars to fill out my garage?

I'm a big Sabre Turbo fan.

RolandIsNotOkay
Jun 7, 2014

Look at me, look at me.

I am the real mime now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

RolandIsNotOkay posted:

Look at me, look at me.

I am the real mime now.

Let me introduce you to my buddy Wade, I think he'd be into you..

• Locked thread