Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
So my adventures in the new version keep resulting in characters dying in hilarious and unexpected ways. I was able to survive most starts in previous versions, now it's like a brand new game and I'm repeatedly blindsided by some of the new changes. They've really done some work. My favorite change was Hulks turning from 'eh, a stronger zombie I need to kite through a window and poke with a spear' to 'oh my god, it just punched me straight through a wall and two boomer zombies, now my legs are broken and I have 100 pain HELP.'

The only gripe I have is that the focus on books has made it way more grindy. It seems like my characters' goal in life is simply to sneak into libraries and grocery stores to stock up for six-day marathon cram sessions to learn how to do anything useful. On the bright side I've taken to building bookcases and leaving handy libraries (along with a starting arsenal) for new characters if they happen to spawn near where one of my vets was aced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
drat, didn't know trap houses were in, just stepped into one and got blasted by a landmine, which didn't actually kill me no, the smoke inhalation from fighting a smoker zombie a few turns earlier did me in.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Wild T posted:

The only gripe I have is that the focus on books has made it way more grindy. It seems like my characters' goal in life is simply to sneak into libraries and grocery stores to stock up for six-day marathon cram sessions to learn how to do anything useful. On the bright side I've taken to building bookcases and leaving handy libraries (along with a starting arsenal) for new characters if they happen to spawn near where one of my vets was aced.

You can get pretty much every crafting skill to 4-5 just by making stuff that you'd want to make anyway. Survival 3 you'll get on day 1 just by foraging bushes and butchering.

Computers though seems to be near impossible to raise naturally, unless I'm missing something. Construction and driving can also be a pain in the rear end to get started.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Construction is a gently caress of a lot easier (and more immediately rewarding) to raise early on if you get your hands on a tree-felling tool (starting as a Lumberjack is fantastic for this). Cutting down trees can raise you to 1, chopping trunks into logs raises you to 2, and chopping trunks into planks raises you to 3. Then you have a shitpile of logs, 2x4s, and splintered wood lying around, which can be used in further projects or burned for warmth, light, and cooking!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Question, everyone talking seems to say stuff like 'Grab all the poo poo you can carry!' but the thing is I don't have many and by many I mean any way of carrying a ton of stuff.

whats the best early way to stock up on stuff? Can I like, cart one of the survival shelter lockers with me when I raid a town?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
shopping carts are good for that

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Should I be starting with dynamic or static?

I tried with static but it means that anywhere I wanna be is full to the brim with loving nasty zomboos.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

You can smash a window to turn the curtains into a "makeshift sling" via the crafting system. This gives you a bunch of storage space, but it really encumbers you so don't try to fight any zombies while wearing them.

As you're raiding houses you might find a backpack or similar. As you start to learn the crafting system and get your skills up, you'll be able to craft things like pouches and backpacks yourself.

Then, you can look on your map for a grocery or hardware store and grab a shopping cart or wheelbarrow.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Will crops I plant in spring usually be ready for harvest around autumn? It's summer now and only my wild herbs have reached the "mature plant" stage. I really wanna pick all these blueberries and wheat and stuff and make glorious homemade waffles with the plants I grew with my own two hands :unsmith:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

esquilax posted:

You can smash a window to turn the curtains into a "makeshift sling" via the crafting system. This gives you a bunch of storage space, but it really encumbers you so don't try to fight any zombies while wearing them.

As you're raiding houses you might find a backpack or similar. As you start to learn the crafting system and get your skills up, you'll be able to craft things like pouches and backpacks yourself.

Then, you can look on your map for a grocery or hardware store and grab a shopping cart or wheelbarrow.

this right here is some godsend info.

The majority of my deaths are caused by running out of time carrying like one burger and a soda back from town while I'm hunting for backpacks and other loot and dodging insane zombie bastards.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

The majority of my deaths are caused by running out of time carrying like one burger and a soda back from town while I'm hunting for backpacks and other loot and dodging insane zombie bastards.

Be aware that wearing makeshift slings will make you loving terrible at dodging and at hitting things in melee due to their extremely high torso encumbrance. You should really be trying to find somewhere safe and set up your basic needs (food, water, warmth, shelter) before you go skirmishing with zombies in hand-to-hand anyway, though, so it's definitely a worthwhile tradeoff right at the beginning.

e: It also does nothing to penalize ranged attacks! Use your newfound carrying capacity to grab some rocks (you'll want them for crafting tools anyway, and maybe building a fireplace eventually), and hurl those fuckers at anything that you don't think you can outrun. This is especially great against skeletons and dogs of all kinds!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 27, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Everything you need to skill up tailoring and fabrication and make a full suit of low enc/high storage clothes exists in the starting shelter.

Smashing a locker gives you a chuck of steel for a hammer and scrap metal to make a knife. Smashing benches gives you wood to make a needle. Smashing windows gives you sheets for rags and string to make thread. If you're having trouble smashing the locker, smash a window first and wield the stick it drops.

Note: if you have hordes turned on, all this smashing will attract their attention! This was actually pretty fun in CataTweaks, as you could load up a bag and do a runner. In the base game it's probably just a massive pain in the arse.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Take Night Vision at chargen and only loot at night at the edge of town. Enjoy your tons of free stuff.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If you want to play with static spawns so you can create a chill safezone and explore the game's content without having to constantly fight for your life, but also don't want to immediately die 90% of the time, try making a few worlds and starting a character in a cabin in each of them. Sometimes cabins just loving collapse on you within 10 turns for no immediately discernible reason, or start out in the middle of goddamn nowhere surrounded by a swamp full of giant worms and sinkholes, but once you make a world where the Cabin start puts you relatively close to civilization and doesn't kill you instantly, you're in a great position to set up a little survivor cottage, craft your starting necessities, and get a feel for the game. The handful of starting zombies are fairly easy to clear out, and you can just die/suicide and start another character once they're gone.

The static starting NPCs option makes this process even smoother by ensuring that there's a reasonably tough, self-sufficient NPC hanging out in your starting cabin. They'll usually wipe the floor with the starting zombies, and talking to them, offering to do a quest for them, and then asking if they can give you some gear is almost guaranteed to get you a lighter. Don't accept the "kill the huge scary thing ripping corpses apart" quest unless you want to get horrifically annihilated, though. You can even recruit them sometimes, but you'll want to micromanage their combat options as they are horribly stupid and will attract a huge horde by firing full-auto at a raccoon until they run out of ammo, and then die trying to beat a Brute to death with their empty gun.

grate deceiver posted:

Take Night Vision at chargen and only loot at night at the edge of town. Enjoy your tons of free stuff.

This too. Night Vision is honestly the single best trait in terms of cost versus usefulness (and quality-of-life improvement). I cannot play without it anymore. Bring a crowbar (or makeshift crowbar - get a rock and smash a locker or display rack for a pipe to make one) and lever open doors instead of smashing windows, and you'll very rarely be heard, let alone spotted and attacked.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 27, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just lost a survivor of 46 days, slayer of over 200 zombies by charging a turret with a katana. Realised I forgot to put on my heavy armor before leaving :downs: At least I didn't blow up my base in a cooking accident this time. Rip in peace, Snow 'Meow'.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Alright so I'm finally getting the hang of this game. Latest generation generated my shelter right by a row of houses. Easily cleared them out enough but then down a street and near enough to be hazardous was a...wasp house. Knowing their dangers, I snuck in under the shadow of night and burned that son of a bitch down. Wasps are still flying around unfortunately but the house is gone at least.

My question is, where are shopping carts and wheelbarrows generally found? I understand that shopping carts can be found in grocery stores, but are there any other places they can be found in? Same question for wheelbarrows. Failing finding one, is there a possibility of actually making a wheelbarrow myself?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Carts are often found in or around parking lots, grocery stores and clothing stores, wheelbarrows I don't see too often. If you have the mechanics skill, you could find some duct tape or a welder/welding torch + welding goggles, you could try making a cart out of busted parts, or build your own vehicle frame out of pipes and attach a sheet metal floor trunk to it. If you can't find a copy of a introductory mechanics book or the appropriate tools you could even take a disposable bashing weapon and smash apart a mostly-broken motorcycle or other small vehicle into a 1x1 draggable storage unit if the trunk/box/basket is intact.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Wheelbarrows are usually in hardware stores.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
When you think about it, were shocker brutes really a necessary addition to the game? Shockers are annoying enough, Brutes and Hulks are too, having this one creature that can slow you down from a distance and then punch your head through a wall seems a bit excessive to me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You only say that because you haven't met (elite) grenadiers yet.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Shocker Brutes are loving assholes but I'd rather encounter them than Hulks. Brutes are relatively quick, but if you see them coming you can outrun them or kite them through fire until they die. Hulks are just unstoppable turbo dickheads that will zoom after you until you run out of stamina, then scamper up to you making a comical "brbrbrbrrrrr" go-kart noise before punching you in half. gently caress Hulks.

Shocker Brutes are in a pretty good design space as random minibosses, I think. They're extremely scary and dangerous, but can usually be escaped or outwitted if you can retain control of the situation. They can be butchered for CBMs, so they're high-threat opponents that offer great rewards if you're smart or deadly enough to bring them down. I frequently catch sight of Brutes and Shocker Brutes with early characters and get away alive, but seeing a Hulk at all basically means that an early character is dead within the next few hundred turns, in my limited experience.

Personally I think it would be badass if Hulks retained their high movement speed, but only situationally - they'd normally have Brute speed, but moving in a direct line for a few turns could cause them to break into a run and start building speed as they continued. Trying to change course would take them a short time based on their charging speed, kind of like a vehicle being hard to push into a tight turn while going way too fast. So you could lure a Hulk into charging you, then deke it into smashing through a storefront until the loving roof collapses on it and buys you time to run like hell. That kind of high-tension OH GOD DON'T gently caress UP indirect boss battle stuff is absolutely my poo poo and I'd love to see more of it in roguelikes.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 28, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
How the heck do I shoot one of my flaming arrows if I have a quiver with other arrows in it?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

How the heck do I shoot one of my flaming arrows if I have a quiver with other arrows in it?

I think you have to unload the quiver first. Quivers seem useful and convenient at first glance, but I found they mainly add a lot of bookkeeping and situational screwing around. They'd probably be better if they had a higher capacity or something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The work for 3D has been coming hella fast

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Good! I really look forward to 3d. It'll be like the old days when DF changed over. I like cataclysm already. Adding an extra dimension is going to be fantastic. I really want to clear out office buildings.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I was gonna make a dumb joke about Steve from accounting haunting you when you loot his sandwich from the office kitchen, but holy poo poo why aren't there ghosts and poo poo in the game? I want to get a quest from a ghost to put his shambling remains to rest and to bury him with his sandwich. Poor Steve.

V Edit V: Yes. I am now fully convinced that this is what this game needs.

Admiral Funk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 28, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Youuuuuuuuuu stooolle my vibrator you jeeeeeerk... Iiiiii'm goooooing tooooo haunt yooourrr butthole..."

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Holy gently caress, there are zombies in loving power armor in the latest version.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

Holy gently caress, there are zombies in loving power armor in the latest version.

Oh god, the last thing i need right now is a reason to get back into this game, and that reason being that endgame is being potentially more challenging

Are they like, bio-operator zombies or higher in terms of danger potential?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
They don't hit as hard but they're nigh-impossible to damage unless you're a murderbeast.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tehan posted:

They don't hit as hard but they're nigh-impossible to damage unless you're a murderbeast.

or found a assault rifle with ap rounds.

the real bummer about those fuckers is that they don't drop poo poo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where would I pick up the experimental builds, and are you at all worth it for a new player? I still haven't survived for more than 2 days.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

http://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-latest/Windows/

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Shocker Brutes are loving assholes but I'd rather encounter them than Hulks. Brutes are relatively quick, but if you see them coming you can outrun them or kite them through fire until they die. Hulks are just unstoppable turbo dickheads that will zoom after you until you run out of stamina, then scamper up to you making a comical "brbrbrbrrrrr" go-kart noise before punching you in half. gently caress Hulks.

Shocker Brutes are in a pretty good design space as random minibosses, I think. They're extremely scary and dangerous, but can usually be escaped or outwitted if you can retain control of the situation. They can be butchered for CBMs, so they're high-threat opponents that offer great rewards if you're smart or deadly enough to bring them down. I frequently catch sight of Brutes and Shocker Brutes with early characters and get away alive, but seeing a Hulk at all basically means that an early character is dead within the next few hundred turns, in my limited experience.

Personally I think it would be badass if Hulks retained their high movement speed, but only situationally - they'd normally have Brute speed, but moving in a direct line for a few turns could cause them to break into a run and start building speed as they continued. Trying to change course would take them a short time based on their charging speed, kind of like a vehicle being hard to push into a tight turn while going way too fast. So you could lure a Hulk into charging you, then deke it into smashing through a storefront until the loving roof collapses on it and buys you time to run like hell. That kind of high-tension OH GOD DON'T gently caress UP indirect boss battle stuff is absolutely my poo poo and I'd love to see more of it in roguelikes.

Shocker brutes aren't so bad once you know how to handle them and have the proper equipment. Stay 10-15 tiles back from them, mopping up any nearby zombies if they're about, wait for them to fire off a lightning discharge and rapidly close with a good wooden weapon and beat them down. You'll have a good amount of turns to wail on them before they can fire off another discharge. The quarterstaff has worked really well for me, it tends to knock them down quite a bit and keep them from retaliating while you Little John their face in. Just don't try it with the ironshod quarterstaff. Once you find a good gun you're even better, just make sure to dodge the lightning first so you can keep your distance. Grenades are extremely nice if you can find them, too.

Hulks, on the other hand, are pretty much the reason why I find a shovel and dig through military vehicle crashes. A couple of LAW rockets up their nose usually does the trick and I'll typically find one or two per crash.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Roobanguy posted:

or found a assault rifle with ap rounds.

the real bummer about those fuckers is that they don't drop poo poo.
They drop a hell of a lot of copper wire.

But yeah, nothing particularly rare.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

They drop a hell of a lot of copper wire.

But yeah, nothing particularly rare.

A shame, I would think they should have a super low chance to drop a piece of any version of power armor to make it worth bothering to fight them

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

VStraken posted:

A shame, I would think they should have a super low chance to drop a piece of any version of power armor to make it worth bothering to fight them

They can drop basic power armour / helmet. It's always the 'salvaged' version but with the right skills you can turn it back into operational armour.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Do newer builds "fix" bashing weapons? Ever since I just stuck to using a cudgel I'm pretty much invulnerable from the start. Shocker brutes might get one hit on me if they're lucky, but everything else including hulks, bio-operators and brutes just get stunlocked and die. I've stunlocked and killed a brute on day one. With a cudgel and leather body armor you basically can't die except from gunfire.

edit: I'm playing 0.C

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Another dumb thing I was doing was not using my map to find poo poo and just sort of manually scouting out places like a big dumb dumby,

to be fair I didn't even realize I had a map till recently.

I know gathering some rocks up is a good way to get some range power (and therefore a massive advantage over zombies) but is there a step between proper firearms and throwing rocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's Stamina now which helps a bit. You can't keep attacking indefinitely, you'll get tired.
Cudgel is still the go-to weapon for beating nasty-but-alone monsters on day 1 though.

Motherfucker posted:

I know gathering some rocks up is a good way to get some range power (and therefore a massive advantage over zombies) but is there a step between proper firearms and throwing rocks?

A crude improvement is making some pointy sticks or wooden spears. And some molotovs, molotovs are great.
If you grind up Mechanics by taking apart a car you can make pneumatic weapons, which are less effective than firearms but are quiet and have no ammo worries.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 29, 2015