Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Has anyone here binged Scrotal Recall yet? I see it on Netflix and I want to give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Norse Code posted:

Has anyone here binged Scrotal Recall yet? I see it on Netflix and I want to give it a shot.

People whose opinions I share on most shows say it's incredible. I haven't seen it yet however.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Just finished Daredevil and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a better Batman than Batman, and D'Onofrio's version of Wilson Fisk was my favorite comic villain in any TV or film to date. I really loved what they did with that character.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ego-bot posted:

I just finished school, so right now I have a shitload of shows backlogged. Just finished Daredevil, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and season 2 of Black Sails.

Any recommendations on what to watch next.

Fargo
True Detective
Vikings S03
Justified S06
Banshee S01-03
Americans S03
12 Monkeys
House of Cards S02-03
Marco Polo
The Knick
Ray Donovan S01-02
Orange is the New Black S01-02

I tried True Detective before but found it real slow and quit. How many episodes does it take to get good?

OitNB is probably in my top 3 shows ever.

Get caught up for the new season soon top!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ishamael posted:

Just finished Daredevil and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a better Batman than Batman, and D'Onofrio's version of Wilson Fisk was my favorite comic villain in any TV or film to date. I really loved what they did with that character.

Same and same. D'Onofrio was absolutely amazing, and I'm glad the series has already been approved for a second season. I think the costume reveal was a bit of a letdown, though. The face just looks weird.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

Okay I'm caught up on The Flash now and Barry/Iris still have all the chemistry of a jar of noble gases stored at absolute zero. I really wish the writers would just give the gently caress up on that, it's dragging the show down and just dull, dull, dull. It's easier at this point to believe that Barry is secretly in love with Cisco than with Iris.
No kidding. The problem is, as with so many bad love interest characters, the writers have done precisely nothing to make Iris lovable, other than have a lovable character (Barry, Joe, and I guess Eddie) say they love her. Her positive qualities aren't even informed attributes at this point, they're more like implied informed attributes ("Well, there has to be some reason they put up with her, maybe she's less awful off-screen?")....meanwhile, all of her on-screen actions are basically about ruining things for anyone around her. At this point, I kinda feel like they can't even salvage her character enough to make her merely likable, and they should probably cut their losses and bring in someone else for the apparently-mandatory CW love triangle. Or, yeah, go with Cisco. ;)

Anyway, we're currently grinding through American Horror Story: Freakshow. So far the best thing has been the cheerfully anachronistic musical numbers, and I'm not holding out much hope for it improving, but the whole season is there and we're still bloody-minded enough to stick with it. (So far, anyway. There's always a chance that the scary clown quotient will get too high for everyone and we'll finally get to sink ourselves into Daredevil instead.)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Trilobite posted:

Anyway, we're currently grinding through American Horror Story: Freakshow. So far the best thing has been the cheerfully anachronistic musical numbers, and I'm not holding out much hope for it improving, but the whole season is there and we're still bloody-minded enough to stick with it. (So far, anyway. There's always a chance that the scary clown quotient will get too high for everyone and we'll finally get to sink ourselves into Daredevil instead.)

I wish there had been more scary clowns in that season. Anything to take Jessica Lange off screen for more than 5 minutes at a time. We got so sick of her, that accent, and her wailing around all over the screen that we never finished it. As much as I enjoyed her in the previous two seasons, she was downright awful in Freakshow. Glad she's taking a break for Hotel or whatever.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Bloodline was pretty good, but are they trying to make us alcoholics or something? Every other scene is someone pouring a drink or getting beer from refrigerator.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
An Idiot Abroad has been fun. I could do with a little less of Ricky Gervais cackling but I may as well ask for a pony while I'm at it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

EC posted:

Same and same. D'Onofrio was absolutely amazing, and I'm glad the series has already been approved for a second season. I think the costume reveal was a bit of a letdown, though. The face just looks weird.

Yeah, agreed. They need to fix the mask so it either covers his nose or doesn't cover it at all, I am not sure what they were going for with the weird nose undercleavage. Also, the black mask outfit was badass enough, I don't really think we needed a traditional superhero costume.

EDIT: these are minor quibbles, it was a very enjoyable show and I loved D'Onofrio as a new, more interesting version of the Kingpin.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 25, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

After watching the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, I thought I should also check out 30 Rock.

I can't stop watching it. There's so much of it and I can't stop.

And D'Onofrio's Kingpin was amazing.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Fleve posted:

After watching the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, I thought I should also check out 30 Rock.

I can't stop watching it. There's so much of it and I can't stop.

And D'Onofrio's Kingpin was amazing.

Yes and yes!

The pilot for 30 Rock isn't that great compared to the later episodes, but it does have the best character introduction ever for Jack Donaghy.

Liz: Where's Gary?

*Jack enters by kicking down a door*

Jack: Gary's dead.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
He's also so hilariously evil/mean in those early seasons if I recall. I never did give 30 Rock a second watch, perhaps I should make that my "put something on while I dick around the house" show.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

It has so many jokes that either straight up make me laugh, or where it starts off ok and I think 'yeah this is kinda funny, I see where this is going', and then it's executed so well I still end up laughing. I'll miss this once I've binged through it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Can't have a lemon party without old dick. :toot:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm speaking to you from the year 1987, but the message is timeless: Avoid The Noid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm about two-thirds through True Blood season seven. It's a bit disappointing, to be honest. It's a bit of a slog.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm about two-thirds through True Blood season seven. It's a bit disappointing, to be honest. It's a bit of a slog.

Is that the last one? I watched almost all of True Blood, but quit a few eps into the last season. It was just boring me to tears.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that's the last one. I just finished the finale. I'm afraid it wasn't terribly good. As you say, it was just a bit dull. The last season doesn't have much of an identity. It certainly doesn't have anything stupid entertaining like any of the previous ones did. Still, it's done, and I don't regret watching the series all the way through.

The final fate of Sarah Newlin wasn't great. I mean, if it had come at the end of season six, when she'd been running the vampire death camp it might have been more effective, but throughout season seven she'd just been too pathetic to be taken seriously as a villain any longer and it just seemed needlessly cruel at the end. I guess that's just True Blood for you, though.

Anyway, since "taste" is a foreign concept to me, I'm going to watch Lost Girl next.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I wondered whether you were being sarcastic when you said the season was a bit disappointing and a bit of a slog. It was a lot of both of those.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I wondered whether you were being sarcastic when you said the season was a bit disappointing and a bit of a slog. It was a lot of both of those.

I'm easy enough to entertain, and I have something of a proclivity for understatement where things I don't feel very strongly about are concerned.

Did their casting department run out of money for the last few episodes? Because after they had that whole story arc with the posse in the first part of the season, Bon Temps seemed like a bit of a ghost town outside the main cast for most of the season. I mean, at least in Buffy they had an episode in season seven where we see everyone clearing out of Sunnydale just before the big fight at the end.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I don't get why they had that last season. They had no story left and it was just embarrassing.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Now that I started to think about it I never actually saw the seventh season. I jumped out of the sinking ship before the end of the sixth season and by then the show had already lost all it's charm so I just assume the seventh was same or probably just worse.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Much worse. Season 5 was the last season of any quality. They should have finished it with 6. And they really shouldn't have tried to give everyone pathetic happy endings.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I agree with the person earlier in that An Idiot Abroad is a must watch. Just re-watched it again in the span of two days, as it isn't terribly long and only 2 6-episode seasons and 1 half season, and it is absolutely hysterical. Karl Pilkington has to be one of the most genuinely funny people you could do this to, as his over-seriousness just makes the show work.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like that you can see Karl changing over the first two seasons.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I started watching Louis Theroux the other day and it's pretty good. The guy's delivery and mannerisms remind me of Nathan For You, but it's all done as a documentary not a self-help show or anything.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I agree with the person earlier in that An Idiot Abroad is a must watch. Just re-watched it again in the span of two days, as it isn't terribly long and only 2 6-episode seasons and 1 half season, and it is absolutely hysterical. Karl Pilkington has to be one of the most genuinely funny people you could do this to, as his over-seriousness just makes the show work.

Jumping on this recommendation bandwagon. I re-watch this show about once a year; it is incredibly entertaining and educational. I've only actually visited one of the sites that he does (Chichen Itza), and it just cracks me up how nonplussed he is about these amazing structures.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

bowmore posted:

I like that you can see Karl changing over the first two seasons.

Yeah, when he's with Warwick and is actually adventurous with food, it showed a lot of growth from the first few episodes.

Meanwhile Warwick apparently eats pizza like everyday like a bitch-made child. :colbert:

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Fleve posted:

After watching the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

i watched two episodes. The first was ok. The second was awful in my opinion. Felt like a season 8 episode of a show that jumped the shark in season 5.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

i watched two episodes. The first was ok. The second was awful in my opinion. Felt like a season 8 episode of a show that jumped the shark in season 5.

I only sort of watched this show in the background while my wife actively watched it, because I felt the same way as you do. However, I will say that at least the last 2-3 episodes are pretty good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have eight episodes left in my Suits binge and I don't know how I'm going to live life without at least two episodes a day from now on.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Norse Code posted:

I'm a couple episodes in and it's great so far. Hilarious and the soundtrack alone is worth the price of admission.

Edit: finished 6 episodes that are available. One of my favorite shows of late. Hopefully they're releasing season 2 soon.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 30, 2015

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I only sort of watched this show in the background while my wife actively watched it, because I felt the same way as you do. However, I will say that at least the last 2-3 episodes are pretty good.

I absolutely loved this show all the way through but the last few episodes were definitely the best. Now that I'm showing it to other people I'm impatiently waiting for it to get to the last couple of episodes.

I had that problem with Game of Thrones too when it first came out. "No, we can't stop now it's not the second last episode yet!!"

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Norse Code posted:

It's entertaining and the season goes by fast. I'd pair it with a bingewatch of You're the worst, which was recommended to me here, it's a little longer at around 13 episodes, but if you enjoyed one you'll enjoy the other.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm doing about 2-3 episodes of The Wire every night, 4 episodes into season 2 right now.

I love this show :allears:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm doing about 2-3 episodes of The Wire every night, 4 episodes into season 2 right now.

I love this show :allears:

First time watching, I take it?

I'm jealous.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

richardfun posted:

I'm jealous.

Yep, first time, and I know I'll feel like you feel once I finish, so I'm taking it all in.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

richardfun posted:

I'm jealous.

The main character in Memento missed a trick, he should have just got a box set of The Wire and watched that over and over, he'd be much happier than running around getting weird tattoos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

The main character in Memento missed a trick, he should have just got a box set of The Wire and watched that over and over, he'd be much happier than running around getting weird tattoos.

Nah, man, every scene would consist of him asking "ok, what's going on? Who's Omar? Are they good?"