Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

You can burn that much in an hour with Netflix.

This may once again be my naivety, but who is watching ~50 hours of Netflix a month on a phone with no other internet connection? (I presume the person watching all this content would choose the 'good' setting since clearly you're not in it for a pristine viewing experience on a 6" or less screen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Qwijib0 posted:

This may once again be my naivety, but who is watching ~50 hours of Netflix a month on a phone with no other internet connection? (I presume the person watching all this content would choose the 'good' setting since clearly you're not in it for a pristine viewing experience on a 6" or less screen).

The person I just kicked off my account is, actually. He's a security guard who sucks at his job.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Qwijib0 posted:

There was a guy in the Verizon thread who bragged about doing just that (I think with an HDMI cable) and using ludicrous amounts of data. He went over 90GB in one month. Since phones have 1920x1080 (and higher) screens you can get the same detail as a full-sized TV.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
When I lived in Hawaii I ran the Verizon account for the local police department and literally all they do for 12 hours a day is watch Netflix on their phones.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I switched to TMobile for the iPhone 6 (was on Verizon before) and I'm going to switch back with the next iPhone because while the service map in my area seems like it'd be great, there's dead spots in 4-5 places I visit with a decent amount of frequency and it's annoying. The worst is my workplace I get nothing, I got them to send me an extender but I barely get anything even with that and it's murdering my battery.

Anyways, if I'm looking at this right, to leave I would just need to pay the balance on my phone that I owe and I'm good right? By that time I should only owe ~$350 which I could probably sell my 6+ for and get out of this mess without losing money?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Can't you just pay off your phone and go back to Verizon whenever you want? Thought the phone worked on both networks.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

There was a guy in the Verizon thread who bragged about doing just that (I think with an HDMI cable) and using ludicrous amounts of data. He went over 90GB in one month. Since phones have 1920x1080 (and higher) screens you can get the same detail as a full-sized TV.

Frankly, "this dude" (whatever carrier he's on) can go gently caress himself and stop tragedy-ing up my commons. I get it, somebody sold this dude UNLIMITED data and he's all "gently caress the man I'm streaming 1080p all day erry day" but I have little sympathy for him if and when he's called out by his carrier for being an asshat. I wish we lived in a world where unlimited bits can fly though the sky, but they can't, so everyone needs to care just a little bit and realize UNLIMITED is more a billing piece-of-mind convenience than a challenge.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Can't you just pay off your phone and go back to Verizon whenever you want? Thought the phone worked on both networks.
It *might* work on Verizon, but there's no real guarantees. I think people have reported success plopping a Verizon SIM in unlocked iPhones 6 and seeing them work, but you'd have to try beforehand.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense, either way, though since Verizon does NOT discount your line charges if you bring your own device, unless that has changed recently.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

It's not actually hard to imagine someone watching a tv show episode on their lunch break and steaming high quality music at their desk all day and when commuting

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Endless Mike posted:

It *might* work on Verizon, but there's no real guarantees. I think people have reported success plopping a Verizon SIM in unlocked iPhones 6 and seeing them work, but you'd have to try beforehand.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense, either way, though since Verizon does NOT discount your line charges if you bring your own device, unless that has changed recently.
Isn't that what the verizon next/edge/what-ever-the-gently caress-they-call-it program is? Like $20/mo off if they pay full price for the phone/bring-your-own?

Of course, AFAIK verizon still wont activate not-verizon-branded devices.

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

It's not actually hard to imagine someone watching a tv show episode on their lunch break and steaming high quality music at their desk all day and when commuting
streaming doesn't count, nobody should be watching 1080p on a 6" phone, having enough pixels for it or not.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I DO WHAT I WANT, MOM :getout:

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003
Any updates on the Asus Zenfone 2? There was supposed to be some sort of announcement for April 28th, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Isn't that what the verizon next/edge/what-ever-the-gently caress-they-call-it program is? Like $20/mo off if they pay full price for the phone/bring-your-own?

Of course, AFAIK verizon still wont activate not-verizon-branded devices.
Edge gives a discount if you finance a phone from Verizon. Last I checked, the discounts goes away as soon as your phone is paid off or if you bring your own.

People have apparently been having success activating unlocked iPhones on Verizon and with VoLTE, they kind of have to by law.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Endless Mike posted:

Edge gives a discount if you finance a phone from Verizon. Last I checked, the discounts goes away as soon as your phone is paid off or if you bring your own.
Thats loving stupid, even for VZW.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
That is not true at all. The Edge discount just converts to a month to month discount which is the exact same amount.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

That is not true at all. The Edge discount just converts to a month to month discount which is the exact same amount.

Like I said "last I checked." That definitely was not the case when they first started offering the discount.

EDIT: At least as of a year ago the discount goes away once the phone is paid off.

EDIT 2: You can keep it, but have to manually add it. Because of course it's not automatic.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 29, 2015

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
I have an unlocked iPhone 6 currently on cricket. I still have the tmobile sim it came with.

Anyway I hear the t-mobile plan works pretty well to get data in China (and bypasses the great firewall) so I'm thinking of swapping that in place of my Cricket sim while I am there.

So the only thing is I'll need to sign up for a month of service. I guess I just want the cheapest possible plan? Looks like the basic $50 plan will get me what I want including data roaming in China.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it normal to get texts about ensuring "no break in service" even though I have ~$130 on my account balance?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it normal to get texts about ensuring "no break in service" even though I have ~$130 on my account balance?

Totally normal. There's a checkbox to turn those, and the service advertisement texts. I'd tell you where if my.t-mobile wasn't down right now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Looks like you can get MLB At Bat for free this year again with T-Mobile

http://www.t-mobile.com/mlb.html?cmpid=WTR_AF_SLCKDLSFRM_V0482JUXBJ1591&AID=11841362&PID=1225267&SID=2d745374eb024b67acacb5ea8700ed1a

I've never done it, as I always get the premium service so I can watch all the games. But for those interested in free radio boardcasts and the 1 free TV game of the game, here you go

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Astro7x posted:

Looks like you can get MLB At Bat for free this year again with T-Mobile

Just did this. Pretty sweet deal!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Has anyone been able to login to the payment system today? Been trying since this morning, and it goes to an outage page.

Edit: Looked around, and apparently they royally hosed up their login system with an update a few days ago. Oy.

Kammat fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 1, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

eddiewalker posted:

Totally normal. There's a checkbox to turn those, and the service advertisement texts. I'd tell you where if my.t-mobile wasn't down right now.

I can't find anywhere to turn this off, apparently its required by the FCC.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
just block 456

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

If I switch carriers by having T-Mobile buy me out of my AT&T contract, do I have to give them my old iPhone 6?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

/ do I have to give my old phone to AT&T ?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
To get the ETF refund you need to trade in a phone, though it doesn't necessarily need to be your current main phone. So if you want to keep your current iPhone go through the junk drawer and find an old flip phone or hit up Craigslist for a used Galaxy S2 or something.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I posted this in the iPhone thread also sorry about that but it's probably better suited there

Okay let me just say what the situation is and see if I'm getting this right.

I dropped my AT&T iPhone 6 and broke it to the point where the screen is flashing colored lines and everything on the screen is flashing and looks like it's glitching really hard. Really hosed up. I have insurance through AT&T. I've been wanting to switch to T-Mobile anyway, where my family has a plan.

Ideally I'd like to get a new iPhone 6 through the AT&T insurance with the deductible. Then go to T-Mobile. Get them to pay for the Early Termination Fee while still keeping my AT&T iPhone 6 and getting an iPhone 6 from T-Mobile. So could I give T an old AT&T android I have that isn't being used, get them to pay the the ETF from AT&T, and then get a new T-Mobile iPhone 6 for $200(or $300, whatever it is for the new phone with them)?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I posted this in the iPhone thread also sorry about that but it's probably better suited there

I dropped my AT&T iPhone 6 and broke it to the point where the screen is flashing colored lines and everything on the screen is flashing and looks like it's glitching really hard. Really hosed up. I have insurance through AT&T. I've been wanting to switch to T-Mobile anyway, where my family has a plan.

Ideally I'd like to get a new iPhone 6 through the AT&T insurance with the deductible. Then go to T-Mobile. Get them to pay for the Early Termination Fee while still keeping my AT&T iPhone 6 and getting an iPhone 6 from T-Mobile. So could I give T an old AT&T android I have that isn't being used, get them to pay the the ETF from AT&T, and then get a new T-Mobile iPhone 6 for $200(or $300, whatever it is for the new phone with them)?

Mr. Radar literally just answered your question.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just wanted to make sure I could get a new iphone from t-mobile too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I just wanted to make sure I could get a new iphone from t-mobile too.

T-Mobile doesn't do subsidized phones, so the new iPhone is going to cost you the actual $650+

If you've got insurance, you're better off getting your current phone replaced and unlocked if you want to switch to T-Mobile. Trade in an old phone for the ETF program.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 2, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Isn't the non-Sprint iPhone 6 identical model across the other US carriers anyway? I'd double check on that. If it is just unlock it and BYOD to T-Mobile.

e: yeah the A1549 is AT&T and T-Mobile.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Astro7x posted:

I hadn't thought about that option, I could look into it more. I'd rather not have to spend ~$400 to move, but having the cheaper monthly plan would be nice...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I know people have chimed in about turning in to T-Mobile the Android. But also keep in mind...
-The AT&T iPhone 6 should work on T-Mobile
-iPhone 6s are not subsidized on T-Mobile, so if you did buy one new, it would cost you $650 or so for the base model.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Has anyone else been getting texts hours or sometimes days late? It has gotten me screwed for work twice now in the past 2 weeks. Highly aggravating.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

Has anyone else been getting texts hours or sometimes days late? It has gotten me screwed for work twice now in the past 2 weeks. Highly aggravating.

I am too. Also getting double or even triple of the same text at times, too. No idea why.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

It's been really bad for me today, too, in addition to happening not infrequently in the past. If it wasn't for music freedom I'd probably switch, since this is some basic poo poo I need to work.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I just got one text almost exactly 24 hours late. I've also been getting duplicate messages, sometimes right away and sometimes with a few hours delay. That's pretty annoying. Think we can complain to T-Mo and get some credit or something?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

It's dumb for this to be necessary, but if you port to google voice, you can use hangouts to send/receive text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
There have been network issues a few times in the last month that have caused duplicate/delayed SMS. The most recent was fixed today but it may take 2 days for the backlog to be cleared.