Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RZA Encryption posted:

you could make the argument that they care more about functionality than aesthetics, but then you get to their software and realize they have neither.
I'm not arguing for Samsung here, and you should know better than that. I'm arguing that this guy picked a dumb thing to focus on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

butt dickus posted:

I'm not arguing for Samsung here, and you should know better than that. I'm arguing that this guy picked a dumb thing to focus on.

Pretend I drew lines over the sides of the Nexus 6 here. (None of those ports, buttons, and tray slots line up either)

It's basically the mother of all motorized wheeled goalposts.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Re: unlocking. It took literally 2$ and maybe 5 hours of waiting for the eBay guy to get an unlock code for my Ascend Mate 2 (consumer cellular version 75$ cheaper then unlocked).

Also 91% battery and 1.5 hours of screen on time on LTE. I love this giant rear end phone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TraderStav posted:

Already dabbling with the Moto 360. I like the ease of sifting through 95% of my useless notifications in hope of one of the 5% I want to pay attention to without pulling out my phone. I'm not that big of a fan of talking to my wrist for the same reasons that I don't like talking to my phone. Majority of the time I'm in a place where I feel weird to do so, especially when I have to report my dumb message four times and I realize that it's really not something that is important or needed to be said but just took up 30 seconds of my time fussing when I could've just typed it.

My wife basically wrote that last part. :(

You can filter what messages show up on your watch and I never have trouble finding a quiet spot to talk quietly without looking like a retard. Also am amazed at how good the voice to text is, but I have one of those ultra-formal western Canadian accents.

On a side note, my wife's East Indian grandmother, who lives in London, was asking if Mr. Google was English or Punjabi. She thought maybe even Sikh with that name.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 28, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MycroftXXX posted:

So my girl bought the "Unlocked" Moto X 2014 and its not unlocked. Is unlocking a phone really as easy as just getting an unlock code and plugging it in? If not I'm going to just return the damned thing because the rear end in a top hat didn't sell it as advertised.

This happened to me when I bought an HTC one m7 recently. He was very understanding and must have made a mistake but I decided to just pay $10 for an unlock code from a website. Got it instantly, typed in the code and I was good to go. Easier then shipping it back and only a little more expensive.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

One week with my HTC One M7 Android 5.0 upgrade: Its really really nice and fixed it all the nagging issues I had (lock screen quick menu). UI is impressive and response is quicker on the OS vs 4.4, but sucks on the battery a bit more. We'll never get the 5.1 that fixes the batt consumption.

Now waiting for my moto X 2013 5.0 upgrade.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've got a Droid Maxx XT1080 on Verizon. How do I find out if I can use this phone on ATT's network? Someone told me that voice and text would work but that data might not. I'm in So Cal where I think both networks are 4G LTE. There is no sim card slot on the outside of this phone. Yes there is I'm an idiot.

Second question, which Android phone has the best camera? The new G4 camera looks pretty sweet but I can't justify $700 or whatever for a new phone. My wife's LG G2 takes awesome pictures so I was leaning towards the G3. In general I'm having trouble deciding on a new phone, mostly I'm trying to choose between the S5 and the G3. Things I want: good camera, quick charging, waterproofing.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 28, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

visuvius posted:

I've got a Droid Maxx XT1080 on Verizon. How do I find out if I can use this phone on ATT's network? Someone told me that voice and text would work but that data might not. I'm in So Cal where I think both networks are 4G LTE.

I've never had a problem with several Verizon phones on just sticking my Cricket sim card and it connecting momentarily. Worst case you have to go into APN settings and enter the info there and make sure the Network is set to "Global". My most recent phone was the Maxx and HSPA+ worked great.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

shyduck posted:

My Nexus 5's USB port seems to be loose and I have to make sure my cable is at a certain angle to get a charge. This is happening with the provided USB cable. Is there a way I can fix this without having to physically replace the USB module? I have no issue with doing that but I'd like to avoid it.

edit: I should clarify that it doesn't feel like any of the solder points are broken, more that it's just not snug enough or something.

Have you tried a different cable?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

visuvius posted:

There is no sim card slot on the outside of this phone.

Pull out the volume rocker. The SIM slot is in there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

shyduck posted:

My Nexus 5's USB port seems to be loose and I have to make sure my cable is at a certain angle to get a charge. This is happening with the provided USB cable. Is there a way I can fix this without having to physically replace the USB module? I have no issue with doing that but I'd like to avoid it.

edit: I should clarify that it doesn't feel like any of the solder points are broken, more that it's just not snug enough or something.

I had this problem on my Nexus 4 and a new USB cable completely fixed my issue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I was going to post this - some cables are just slippery as hell with my N5 while others have a good solid fit. Monoprice cables are downright bad but that's what you get for a nickel.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Hughmoris posted:

I had this problem on my Nexus 4 and a new USB cable completely fixed my issue.

Yeah, try a different cable. My Nexus 5 seemed to deform the little clips on the USB connector after a while. I went through 3 cables like this before switching to QI charging.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

gariig posted:

My wife got a Moto X so we stopped using our magnetic one and switched to the Airframe which works pretty well. Being portable is also nice. You can check out The Wirecutter for some more suggestions

The listing says it works with up to 5" screens; I'm assuming since you're recommending it that it can actually accommodate screens a little larger?

hooah posted:

I'm experience problems with down time on my 2nd gen Moto X. If I get an email, it'll play the notification tone and turn off down time. Anyone have any idea why?

Maybe related, but when this happens, the vibration for the notification will play about a second after the sound.

Also, this is really pissing me off. I did a little searching this morning and it seems this is a common 5.0 problem. I don't remember how long my N4 was at 5.0, but I don't think I had this issue with it. Can anyone else speak to 5.0 ignoring downtime settings?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

nimper posted:

Once it's actually unlocked it should take any tmobile SIM no problem.

Thank you!

nerve posted:

This happened to me when I bought an HTC one m7 recently. He was very understanding and must have made a mistake but I decided to just pay $10 for an unlock code from a website. Got it instantly, typed in the code and I was good to go. Easier then shipping it back and only a little more expensive.

Thanks! I'll find an unlock code website.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

visuvius posted:

Second question, which Android phone has the best camera? The new G4 camera looks pretty sweet but I can't justify $700 or whatever for a new phone. My wife's LG G2 takes awesome pictures so I was leaning towards the G3. In general I'm having trouble deciding on a new phone, mostly I'm trying to choose between the S5 and the G3. Things I want: good camera, quick charging, waterproofing.

Best Android cameras are probably S6, G4, Note 4, G3, S5. If you want all those things, looks like S5 is your best bet. You could also get a Sony Z3/c for a step down in camera but increase in battery life and water proofing.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

MycroftXXX posted:

Thank you!

Thanks! I'll find an unlock code website.

I vote eBay, you can get unlock codes for like 2-3$

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The charging port went bad on my HTC M7. And my Galaxy S3 before that.

USB ports suck.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Reverse Centaur posted:

You can filter what messages show up on your watch and I never have trouble finding a quiet spot to talk quietly without looking like a retard. Also am amazed at how good the voice to text is, but I have one of those ultra-formal western Canadian accents.

I love it for when I am driving. I went thru and shut off a bunch of notifications that I don't want/need on my phone and my battery life improved quite a bit. I'm a big fan of the Moto360.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's way too spergy even for this thread. What bothers me is that Qualcomm 4G sticker when the S6 uses an Exynos one, do I miss something there?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Guillermus posted:

That's way too spergy even for this thread. What bothers me is that Qualcomm 4G sticker when the S6 uses an Exynos one, do I miss something there?

Some versions of the s6 use a qualcomm radio.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444651320"]
Best Android cameras are probably S6, G4, Note 4, G3, S5. If you want all those things, looks like S5 is your best bet. You could also get a Sony Z3/c for a step down in camera but increase in battery life and water proofing.

Thanks for this. I'd like to get the G4 but I don't think I can justify the cost just for the camera. You're probably right, the S5 sounds like my best bet, I'm just a little weary of Samsung, and I think I like the G3 screen. Decisions, decisions.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

hooah posted:

The listing says it works with up to 5" screens; I'm assuming since you're recommending it that it can actually accommodate screens a little larger?

Maybe go for the larger one. I asked my wife and she said that it was annoying to put her phone into it and it doesn't hold onto the vents very well (could be because of our car - Toyota Prius).

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

SkySteak posted:

I have a little and both of the phones feel good in the hand. Screen wise they're quite nice to look at as well. I feel that if I went for a 32GB LG G3 that I, may as well just pick up a Z3 Compact for the higher price. However back to the 16 GB. Honestly I am starting to feel neither would be the wrong choice. Honestly the only thing spooking me away from G3 is the lack of updates and overheating problems I keep hearing about, esp in regards to the camera.

The G3 was the very first phone to update to Lollipop other than the Nexus 6, and Android phones in general are all pretty good with support nowadays so there's not much to worry about in that regard.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Desk Lamp posted:

The G3 was the very first phone to update to Lollipop other than the Nexus 6, and Android phones in general are all pretty good with support nowadays so there's not much to worry about in that regard.
Only in Poland. US versions got the 5.0 update 3 months after the Nexus 4 and 5 did. Getting one update wasn't a big deal even back in 2010. How many phones from 2013 have received the 5.0 update? What about 2012? I know a lot of y'all get a new phone every 6 months but some people like to hang onto them for two years. Are there any phones from 2012 aside from the Nexus 4, S4 and M7 that have 5.0 or later?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

The charging port went bad on my HTC M7. And my Galaxy S3 before that.

USB ports suck.

It was one of the main reasons I got the Z3 - so I could use the magnetic port instead.

The One especially sucks since the port is upside down compared to most phones I've used and before I got different colored USB cables for me and my wife's phones, I'd try plugging my phone in a few times before realizing it was her cable and I was trying to jam it in the wrong way. USB type-c can't come soon enough.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

butt dickus posted:

Only in Poland. US versions got the 5.0 update 3 months after the Nexus 4 and 5 did. Getting one update wasn't a big deal even back in 2010. How many phones from 2013 have received the 5.0 update? What about 2012? I know a lot of y'all get a new phone every 6 months but some people like to hang onto them for two years. Are there any phones from 2012 aside from the Nexus 4, S4 and M7 that have 5.0 or later?

The poster is in Europe, the fact that U.S. carriers take forever to roll out their updates is irrelevant to their case.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

I thought I let dumb stuff annoy me but that's silly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like they basically put an LG Watch Urbane LTE (oh god LG fix your names) on the front of the G4 with this case..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdE3h3xnwEI

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Reverse Centaur posted:

Looks like they basically put an LG Watch Urbane LTE (oh god LG fix your names) on the front of the G4 with this case..

That's actually a pretty cool idea.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Premature ejacula- posted:

I thought I let dumb stuff annoy me but that's silly.

Doesn't help that the wheel is cocked up towards the face and completely out of line from the rest of the lumps.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dphi posted:

USB type-c can't come soon enough.
Honestly surprised none of this crop of phones included it.

e: hoping next nexus will have it. They switched the chromebook pixel to type C.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 29, 2015

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Hopefully the 2015 moto x will be the same size and have it **fingers crossed**

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

incoherent posted:

If it uses the snapdragon 810, like its reported it will, hopefully they'll have figured out the overheating thing by then.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

I saw the screen show the words "Quick Time", prepare to be sued LG. (Looks pretty neat, but I'd never use it)

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

incoherent posted:

Hopefully the Moto X 2015 will revert back to 4.7" and have it (and come with 64 gb in Europe) :colbert:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Just a slightly different face to the ones available on the G3

The circle case is pretty much a gimmick with an LCD screen because the whole thing is lit there is no battery life advantage over just opening the flip.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
According to DxOMark, the Galaxy S6 Edge and the Note 4 have the best cameras of any smartphone at the moment, the first time an Android phone has bested the iPhone when it comes to the camera. Also interesting is the fact the Nexus 6 managed to crack the top ten, coming in at number 8, several spots ahead of the iPhone 5S even. Shows how much the camera was improved over the Nexus 5's.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So what are the chances their Nexus 5 2015 rumors are true? If so, I'm loving stoked because I love my Nexus 5 and a new and improved one would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've done some cursory searching on Amazon and it's really hard to tell: If I buy the Qi backplate for my Galaxy S5, is there a passable case I can get for it that comes with a belt clip? I busted the clip off my old non-Qi case and figured this was as good an opportunity as any to make the Qi transition.

At this point I've gotten so use to the belt clip that it feels weird to keep it in my pocket at all.