Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I just noticed that One Way Heroics Plus supports custom sprites for the players. I wonder if anyone's made any yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicFrog posted:

When people are talking about "slogging through the East", they usually mean the endgame dungeons: the four Prides and High Peak. Which are way too monotonous and go on way the gently caress too long.

The first time I went into High Peak, I finished it in no time because I was playing a rampant speed-demon Cursed before the multiplicative movement bonus nerf. This motherfucker reached the end of the Charred Scar in some unthinkably fast period of time - I think it was like one normal game turn or something. I just ran through the entire peak like an insane Flash from hell and either lured the bosses off the stairs or Blindsided and instagibbed them. I won the game and thought, "High Peak wasn't as bad as I was told it would be."

Clearing it with my first non-Cursed took an entire afternoon :negative:

RIP Scandinavian Death Metal, you were too fast and too metal for this post-nerf world.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Emong posted:

I just noticed that One Way Heroics Plus supports custom sprites for the players. I wonder if anyone's made any yet.

Considering how few people seem to even play it period I can't imagine there's going to be a ton of fan-made content coming out.

It's really a shame that screenshots of the game make it look like some crappy rpg maker bullshit. It really is quite charming visually when it's in motion but I feel like the stuff on the steam page is a turnoff for a lot of people. I know I wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been on sale for a buck and change.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Is it still on sale? Maybe I'll pick it up when I get off work. I've been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer nonstop for the past few nights and I'm pretty sure the constant head-nodding, knee-bouncing, and occasional "poo poo!!" is starting to get on my wife's nerves. :v:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is it still on sale? Maybe I'll pick it up when I get off work. I've been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer nonstop for the past few nights and I'm pretty sure the constant head-nodding, knee-bouncing, and occasional "poo poo!!" is starting to get on my wife's nerves. :v:

It's not on sale on steam anymore but I'm pretty sure it's like 2 dollars on the playism website permanently. As opposed to being a little over 3 on steam.

I mean it basically amounts to pocket change either way but no point in paying more than you have to.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Speaking of Necrodancer I had no idea that playing with Melody would remix the level music. It's been an excellent purchase.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

Speaking of Necrodancer I had no idea that playing with Melody would remix the level music. It's been an excellent purchase.

This is one of the things that's new with the final release. Aria also gets new music by the guy that did this.

It's just a shame that neither of the remixes change up the tempo any.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Sage Grimm posted:

You can set that music for any character, btw.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Oh, awesome. I've played the base music too much that the remixes are a fresh spark of energy.

I really wish I could scale the tempo up to Zone 4 levels because starting in Zone 1 feels so slow once you've played the last sections a lot.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The level theme remixes are loving awesome. Aria's music is so indescribably kickass. It's like, "alright, you beat the game with Cadence, the courageous daughter seeking her family's legacy. You beat the game with Melody, the trans-mortal mother with a heart full of fire and a lute of gold. Now beat the game with Aria, the undead grandmother with one foot in Death's door and the other squarely on the throat of mortality itself, the badass who birthed a badass who birthed a badass, the woman who raised an entire family of rear end-kicking musical crypt raiders! Rip that dagger out of your heart and kill your enemies with it!" :rock:

It doesn't even bother me that I haven't reached a boss with Aria yet. She's so unforgivingly frigging metal that clearing a single floor with her feels pretty great, and making it to floor 3 is like riding a cybernetic unicorn made of flaming guitars into Hell armed with with nothing but a butcher's knife and a terrifying gaze.

Sage Grimm posted:

I really wish I could scale the tempo up to Zone 4 levels because starting in Zone 1 feels so slow once you've played the last sections a lot.

Same here. I miss beats on 1-1 more than I do on 4-3 half the time, because it's really difficult to make myself play so slowly.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I've been beating my head against a wall on Zone 4 for so long I finally decided to do a all zone run to blow off some steam. Got a titanium longbow, resisted the temptation of a Shrine of Glass, and managed to make it all the way to the Necrodancer fight.

Died to his explosion because I wasn't paying attention to him shaking in place for five beats :negative: Remixes sound great, even if I don't think I'll ever actually hear them in-game.

God that fight is great and the gimmick, while completely surprising, is a bit more forgiving than I expected. What do you do once he gets off the stage? Do you just try to damage him with the Golden Lute or can you attack him conventionally?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Conventional attacks do not work, yes. And that boss fight changes when you're Melody and when you're Aria, too!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

It's really a shame that screenshots of the game make it look like some crappy rpg maker bullshit.
I thought it was made with an RPG Maker competitor?

Which apparently is much better at making unusual gameplay so I kinda wish it was available in english.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My most recent Melody run ended when I got one-shot by a mole in Zone 2, when I had 4 full hearts. Turns out that Rings of Becoming are super-dangerous, guys! Unless you can manage to transmute them, anyway. Still probably not worth the risk for "serious" runs unless you're really good at the game or there just happens to be a transmuter on the level.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The first time I went into High Peak, I finished it in no time because I was playing a rampant speed-demon Cursed before the multiplicative movement bonus nerf. This motherfucker reached the end of the Charred Scar in some unthinkably fast period of time - I think it was like one normal game turn or something. I just ran through the entire peak like an insane Flash from hell and either lured the bosses off the stairs or Blindsided and instagibbed them. I won the game and thought, "High Peak wasn't as bad as I was told it would be."

Clearing it with my first non-Cursed took an entire afternoon :negative:

RIP Scandinavian Death Metal, you were too fast and too metal for this post-nerf world.

The one time I've ever had the patience to clear it all was when I was playing an alchemist and could literally clear just about any room with one button (alchemist bombs).

I think by that point I'd stopped even bothering with the golem, as it just died too quickly to do anything useful and was a constant drain on my supply of alchemist gems. Which I had more of than I could use *anyway*.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zereth posted:

Which apparently is much better at making unusual gameplay so I kinda wish it was available in english.

Yeah, that's right. Actually the guys who made OWH also created the program its built on, so I'm sure they know all the ways it can be pushed.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zereth posted:

The developer is the guy who made wolf rpg editor, so he built it off of that. OWH was originally just a little experiment he put up on his site free to download.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OWH(+) is well worth your money if you haven't played it. The concept is (much like Necrodancer) a little silly at first glance, but very intelligently implemented.

I'd put it on the light end of the roguelike-murder-complexity-and-hates-you scale, which is great when you're not in the mood for a slog.

And yeah, the ~anime~ on the Steam page isn't really there in the game as much, it's mostly just jogging through a charming sprite world at speed, bashing monsters and occasionlly stopping at a store to buy something from an npc before they are consumed by the looming darkness in five steps.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

victrix posted:

OWH(+) is well worth your money if you haven't played it. The concept is (much like Necrodancer) a little silly at first glance, but very intelligently implemented.

I'd put it on the light end of the roguelike-murder-complexity-and-hates-you scale, which is great when you're not in the mood for a slog.

And yeah, the ~anime~ on the Steam page isn't really there in the game as much, it's mostly just jogging through a charming sprite world at speed, bashing monsters and occasionlly stopping at a store to buy something from an npc before they are consumed by the looming darkness in five steps.

I honestly thought the whole darkness gimmick would annoy me going into it. It is, like you said, very intelligently done though. 90% of the time you hardly even have to think about it, but every once in a while you'll over-extend yourself and find your heart pounding as you try and figure out a way to un-gently caress the situation you've found yourself in before the wall of death can reach you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PantsBandit posted:

I honestly thought the whole darkness gimmick would annoy me going into it. It is, like you said, very intelligently done though. 90% of the time you hardly even have to think about it, but every once in a while you'll over-extend yourself and find your heart pounding as you try and figure out a way to un-gently caress the situation you've found yourself in before the wall of death can reach you.

It's also a great way to keep the pace up since you can't backtrack. Compared to something like ToME, where the optimal path involves clearing out way too much bullshit, being forced to continue onwards is refreshing.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Man, you guys are making me want to give OWH another go. I played like 10 hours a year ago and haven't touched it since.

Sodacan posted:

Am I in the East?

I would not know there was a comparable West, since despite putting almost 50 hours in I've never gotten through all the dungeons on the main continent without be ignominiously murdered.

(Playing on Nightmare/Roguelike with primarily bumping classes so I can just chill to a podcast or something as I play definitely, definitely has nothing to do with that.)

Teach me your ways, sensei.

Well, the East/West difference was already covered.

I'd have to say don't start on Nightmare/Roguelike lmao. The game is 100% absolute and entire bullshit with its rare spawns at times. It's just too unpredictable, long, and uneven in difficulty for a single death run to be an enjoyable experience imho. Give adventurer mode (and maybe normal) a try. It's the default mode for a reason, and using it is nothing to be ashamed of-- most people will still never manage to win with extra lives.

Always look at every rare+ mob's abilities so you know what you're up against. If your status removal is on cool down, get out of there. Similarly, never fight without an escape up unless you're 110% sure you can win immediately and will die trying to escape. Movement infusions can double as stun prevention, so take advantage of it (though obviously make sure you have other escapes available in that situation). ToME gives you WAY more movement options than almost any other roguelike would ever dream of giving you--- use them!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is one of the things that's new with the final release. Aria also gets new music by the guy that did this.

It's just a shame that neither of the remixes change up the tempo any.

Nah, can't change the tempo up. It'd break a lot of things (like the replay system and leaderboards)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

jackofarcades posted:

Nah, can't change the tempo up. It'd break a lot of things (like the replay system and leaderboards)

I don't see why it would break replays - just store the necessary state on each beat.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't see why it would break replays - just store the necessary state on each beat.

The replay system already kinda breaks based on things like how late in the beat you hit your action and speeding up the playback. It's kind of fragile. There's also a speedrun timer that plays back during the run so it'd be way off.

Anyway, the dev is pretty picky about balance, and having the songs be a different tempo would feel very very wrong (to someone who plays way too much Necrodancer)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

jackofarcades posted:

The replay system already kinda breaks based on things like how late in the beat you hit your action and speeding up the playback. It's kind of fragile. There's also a speedrun timer that plays back during the run so it'd be way off.

Anyway, the dev is pretty picky about balance, and having the songs be a different tempo would feel very very wrong (to someone who plays way too much Necrodancer)

Well, okay then, he'd have to fix the replay system (since, uhh, it sounds really broken regardless).

I don't think the timer is important enough to not implement a cool feature for? It could turn off leaderboards if you change the tempo easily enough.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just played Melody on all zones mode and made it right to the end. I had 6 hearts, heavy plate + helmet + greaves, a ring of regeneration, and a pack of holding full of food and scrolls. I was functionally impossible to kill. I danced into a shop full of items I didn't want, used my scroll of transmute, and fat-fingered onto a musket.

Killed by cowardice.

In zone 4-3.

Within view of the unlocked stairs.

:suicide:

e: nailed it on my next try thanks to an early Ring of Wonder and the Heal spell. Now I just need to beat literally anything as Aria or start bashing my head against Monk or some other nightmarish challenge.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 30, 2015

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Any tips for getting those insane speedrun times Jack? I've had a few good runs going to low 5-6 minutes on Zone 4 but I always seem to lose about 3 minutes killing all the enemies in my way on Zone 4 and that kills any decent times I have. My goal is to break the top 10, but that seems pretty far considering I haven't managed to get anything significantly sub 10 minutes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Faster Than Light question: What's up with the halberd beam? For the first couple of sectors I thought it was the best thing ever but once I started hitting enemy ships with two shield layers it started doing nothing at all. It didn't say it missed, but it didn't do anything to their shields either. Does it only work against a single layer of shield?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 30, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Wafflecopper posted:

Does it only work against a single layer of shield?
Yes. In general Beam weapons require support to get past shields.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Wafflecopper posted:

Faster Than Light question: What's up with the halberd beam? For the first couple of sectors I thought it was the best thing ever but once I started hitting enemy ships with two shield layers it started doing nothing at all. It didn't say it missed, but it didn't do anything to their shields either. Does it only work against a single layer of shield?

Beams do the stated damage minus the level of enemy shields. The idea is that you're supposed to deplete the shield with some other weapon and hit them with the beam before it regenerates.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wafflecopper posted:

Does it only work against a single layer of shield?
Or no shields. It does 2 damage per hit, so against a level 1 shield that damage is reduced by one to one damage per shield. Against a level 2 shield it's reduced to 0. If you shoot their shields with like a burst laser or something, then you can wreck them while their shields are recharging.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks guys. I thought the halberd laser would still damage their shields though, leaving them open to a shot from another weapon?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Nope. Beams can go through shields if the power is high enough(albeit with lowered damage) but they will never damage shields themselves.

They're really good at damaging the ship itself, but you need to support them with other weapons.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ooooh, ok so beams and lasers aren't the same thing. Got it, thanks.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well, okay then, he'd have to fix the replay system (since, uhh, it sounds really broken regardless).

I don't think the timer is important enough to not implement a cool feature for? It could turn off leaderboards if you change the tempo easily enough.

I could see how it would be a cool feature, but I think most people who are really into the game would be opposed to it. It just feels wrong. It would also require speedrunners to play on one soundtrack which is kinda poo poo.

stiknork posted:

Any tips for getting those insane speedrun times Jack? I've had a few good runs going to low 5-6 minutes on Zone 4 but I always seem to lose about 3 minutes killing all the enemies in my way on Zone 4 and that kills any decent times I have. My goal is to break the top 10, but that seems pretty far considering I haven't managed to get anything significantly sub 10 minutes.

Zone 4 is just slow. My fastest time (6:12) made it to Z4 in 3 minutes. It's basically about learning how to read the maps and killing things as efficiently as possible / getting trap doors.

A ring of peace / ring of courage / ring of mana with a spell will significantly speed up z4

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
It's the end of April where is my CoQ?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

Ooooh, ok so beams and lasers aren't the same thing. Got it, thanks.

If you want to go big on beams, then you should keep an eye out for Flak I/II and Burst Laser IIs, which all have the best projectile counts for how much energy they cost. Alternatively, you can get a hacking device and hack the enemy's shields, which will drain them -- though then you'll be helpless if the enemy has defense drones, which shoot down the hacker (there's a cheaty way to get around that, by depowering the hacker at the right time, but eh).

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It's the end of April where is my CoQ?

Unmoral hired some cockhead to tell him that we needed to be CoQteased more for better sales and publicity.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Unmoral hired some cockhead to tell him that we needed to be CoQteased more for better sales and publicity.

Yeah, everything's on the slowboat to marketing land. Trust me, I want it all out right now as badly as anyone else :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

CoQhead