Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So uhm, my most recent character lucked into a whole bunch of cephalopod mutations including leg tentacles, 8 tentacles and hand talons, so I can pretty much destroy everything with unarmed combat very easily, this includes a bio-operator whom I ran into at a lab who was stunlocked permanently as I bashed him for 9 hours or so, I managed to learn the brawling unarmed style from just fighting things, is there a way to learn any of the more advanced fighting styles? Also, it seems like taking further mutagens doesn't really have any benefits I think I need to craft the cephalopod serum, is it a recipe I can learn through practice or do I have to delve into a lab to find the advanced mutagen books?

In that vein, what the hell can I craft to keep my face warm if I have the mandibles mutation, I tried to revisit the lab but I just freeze relatively quickly and can't actually explore most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need the right book to craft Serums. Only found in labs.
You can learn some fighting styles by raiding Dojos for books. Also supposedly Boxing Gyms but I've never seen one. Also using the programmed-martial-arts bionic for long enough in combat has a chance to teach you the bionic combat style.
I think the garment you need is the Long Patchwork Scarf (or long fur scarf etc).

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

Another dumb thing I was doing was not using my map to find poo poo and just sort of manually scouting out places like a big dumb dumby,

to be fair I didn't even realize I had a map till recently.

I know gathering some rocks up is a good way to get some range power (and therefore a massive advantage over zombies) but is there a step between proper firearms and throwing rocks?

There's bows and slingshots. They're fairly weak to start, but with some practice and the correct books you can build incrementally better and eventually end game versions of them. You'll probably find or be able to build a crossbow relatively quickly and can be decently effective. What you really want is a reflex bow which can kill just about anything you care to name with the proper arrows, and a bullet crossbow (essentially just a fancy rear end slingshot) is about as effective as a .22 rifle with the bonus of being able get hundreds of rounds ammo with a quick jog through a field and a minimal amount crafting.

You don't want to slouch on strength if you're planning on sticking with this long term.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 29, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The answer to both of your first questions lies in skillbooks. Fighting skillbooks you find in dojos and boxing gyms, specifically in the back offices. Serum recipes are found in lab notes and mutagen related books, with the exception of I think Elfa serum which is found in a special Standpipe Maintenance Log (it'll mention having some sort of formula scrawled on it in the item description so you can tell it from the normal version) that can occasionally spawn.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
You guys have been an awesome help.

Some spawns just aren't created equal however :negative:

I mean poo poo just does not bode well when the first words you read after opening the curtains are 'You are being laser targeted!'

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 29, 2015

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

You need the right book to craft Serums. Only found in labs.
You can learn some fighting styles by raiding Dojos for books. Also supposedly Boxing Gyms but I've never seen one. Also using the programmed-martial-arts bionic for long enough in combat has a chance to teach you the bionic combat style.
I think the garment you need is the Long Patchwork Scarf (or long fur scarf etc).

you can also find style books in mansions and military outposts.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I can't seem to make a wooden needle either. Weird.

Oh, ok, after making a ton of pointy sticks it turns out you just need to git gud at fabrication for that.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 29, 2015

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I can't seem to make a wooden needle either. Weird.

Oh, ok, after making a ton of pointy sticks it turns out you just need to git gud at fabrication for that.

I can imagine the thought process of that: "Hmmm, I've made a lot of pointy sticks. What if I made a really small one?"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

I can imagine the thought process of that: "Hmmm, I've made a lot of pointy sticks. What if I made a really small one?"

Than after that I learned to build a knife spear by butchering random dead animals I found and searching through the undergrowth for trash. Just looking at my poking stick and my butchering knife and whoa!

How do I collect water from a river with my plastic bottle? Found it, just gotta examine that poo poo and I get the option, you'd think standing in the water and being like 'pick up' would work but nah

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 29, 2015

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
So I reached another lab finale and when I entered the room it looked like the usual fusion/lasers gun plus computer printout. But after I cleared the securibots and crossed over, it turned out to be 40 mininukes. Are there now more than three standard lab finales and what else have I been missing?

I made my first attempt at a vehicle base from an APC, but in testing I was really disappointed how quickly enemies would break through the composite armour. I also had to stop and repair after every time I crossed a field and ran over bushes. From the way posters had been talking I had assumed heavily armored vehicles were pretty much invulnerable, but I hadn't realised how fragile and high maintenance the drat things are. I suppose in this case, the best defense is an active turret defense and plenty of ablative armour?

Does anyone know how the details of wanderspawn mechanics? I've been entirely free of them around my homebase for 100+ days, but when I travelled to a nearby lab about 40 tiles away I was quickly surrounded by spawn points for miles around. I'm guessing I violently depleted the spawns near my homebase and after I travelled I pulled in more spawns from further away? I keep checking the 'show hordes' function on the debug menu and the spawn points seem to have come out of nowhere though so I'm not sure what the underlying mechanics.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Corsec posted:

So I reached another lab finale and when I entered the room it looked like the usual fusion/lasers gun plus computer printout. But after I cleared the securibots and crossed over, it turned out to be 40 mininukes. Are there now more than three standard lab finales and what else have I been missing?

I've seen high end CBM caches, cvd machines, lasers and other energy guns, nuke stockpiles, I think there's one with powerful plasma engines and efficient but fragile solar-panels. Oh yeah also those otherworldly creature prison arrays that don't work because flaming eyes.

Motherfucker posted:

How do I collect water from a river with my plastic bottle? Found it, just gotta examine that poo poo and I get the option, you'd think standing in the water and being like 'pick up' would work but nah

Stockpiling water is a huge pain in the rear end because you need so much of it, I usually take a large container like a jerrycan and toss it under a funnel and pour water from it into a waterskin or gallon jug/3L jar. Rainwater is usually clean but if it does wind up making me sick, I either boil it if I absolutely need water now or just dump the contents out and try again.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 29, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Has anyone ever actually seen a minireactor? Where the heck do they appear?

edit: Military outposts!

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 29, 2015

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Ok so I'm getting further along in my game and I'm actually loving surviving. I went to the wasp house under the cover of night and burned it down and right now I am making a daring night time raid to the grocery store. It's a DAMNED GOOD THING I decided to go at night because a shocker brute is milling about at the entrance.

I've found my main objective, a shopping cart. I've learned how to drag it with me but how do I put items in and out of it? Is there a way to put adjacent items into the cart without me having to pick them up THEN put it into the cart?

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok so I'm getting further along in my game and I'm actually loving surviving. I went to the wasp house under the cover of night and burned it down and right now I am making a daring night time raid to the grocery store. It's a DAMNED GOOD THING I decided to go at night because a shocker brute is milling about at the entrance.

I've found my main objective, a shopping cart. I've learned how to drag it with me but how do I put items in and out of it? Is there a way to put adjacent items into the cart without me having to pick them up THEN put it into the cart?

You can drop things in a direction with shift-D; putting them into the shopping cart's tile will load them in. Just examine the cart to get stuff back out. You can also use the advanced inventory ('/' by default) which can pick up from your tile / adjacent tiles and put them into a dragged vehicle by using numpad to pick a tile, tab to switch panes, and 'd' to pick the vehicle.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Thanks for the help! Alright, so I looted that store dry minus a locked door in the back, and I understand that a general plan is to get a murdercar and live the life of a nomad due to the difficulty of staying in one place. I actually found an underground pot farm in a nearby house whose dirt I can use to grow things, is this a viable thing to do?

Otherwise what would I need to get started on trying to modify my shopping cart to hold more things, or even convert it to a wheelbarrow?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Blackray Jack posted:

Thanks for the help! Alright, so I looted that store dry minus a locked door in the back, and I understand that a general plan is to get a murdercar and live the life of a nomad due to the difficulty of staying in one place. I actually found an underground pot farm in a nearby house whose dirt I can use to grow things, is this a viable thing to do?

Otherwise what would I need to get started on trying to modify my shopping cart to hold more things, or even convert it to a wheelbarrow?

Actually staying in place is super simple, it's just boring. There's more wildlife / fish / foraged plants / farmed food than you could store or eat, especially once you find/make a food dehydrator and get a working minifridge hooked to some kind of engine and a storage battery. But once it's easy it's not fun anymore, plus the best loot is at the bottom of labs.

To get the shopping cart to hold more, remove the actual cart and replace it with a trunk taken from a car, or even better a cargo carrier from a truck that has them.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
I made a shoulder strap and am currently wearing it. I also have a Marlin rifle but it's still encumbering me by 10. How do I 'use' the shoulder strap or sling my rifle?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

I made a shoulder strap and am currently wearing it. I also have a Marlin rifle but it's still encumbering me by 10. How do I 'use' the shoulder strap or sling my rifle?
Since the shoulder strap is a weapon mod, you need to activate it and add it to your Marlin rifle. Then you can wear the Marlin rifle.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Ok, how do I reinforce things like tonfas, motorcycle helmets, kevlar vests, etc? And would I need welding goggles or some protective eyewear if welding is involved?

EDIT: Also how the gently caress do I read something and stop when I get an interruption like that damned 'fine details so reading is slower' message?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok, how do I reinforce things like tonfas, motorcycle helmets, kevlar vests, etc? And would I need welding goggles or some protective eyewear if welding is involved?

A basic repair kit can reinforce things made of wood, bone, and chitin, it uses duct tape as fuel, use it like you would a sewing kit.

Plastic, metal, and kevlar can be repaired using a soldering iron and scrap metal, plastic chunks, and kevlar plates, eyewear is not required, though a welder/acetylene torch can also be used I believe.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blackray Jack posted:

Well see, realism is important in this game. So the first thing you're going to need is a soldering iron.

Simply activate it, and select the steel/kevlar/plastic item you want to reinforce. You'll need scrap metal, kevlar plates or plastic chunks respectively.

e:beaten

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I keep wanting to do a game where I build a log cabin in the woods, but my prepwork inevitably leads me to being a chromed-out superhero with a sweet car.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Alright, so, I got mechanics to level two and I stumbled on a toolbox early on. I am currently removing the battery and trunk from a car.

How do I make a powered oven thing? How do I attach a solar powered whatsit to a whatever? This is my best game yet so I'm pretty excited to be further expanding beyond using the fireplace for all my cooking/etc.

EDIT: I tried removing the trunks from a car but all it gave me were steel frames. Eh?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 30, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
So I may have ended up with a slight alcohol addiction due to finding a huge beer stockpile before I had water filtration set up :v: What's the best way to beat addiction?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Blackray Jack posted:

Alright, so, I got mechanics to level two and I stumbled on a toolbox early on. I am currently removing the battery and trunk from a car.

How do I make a powered oven thing? How do I attach a solar powered whatsit to a whatever? This is my best game yet so I'm pretty excited to be further expanding beyond using the fireplace for all my cooking/etc.

EDIT: I tried removing the trunks from a car but all it gave me were steel frames. Eh?

Steel frames are what's used for making trunks, and a lot of other things.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Alright I installed a trunk... what size wheel should I slap on? And what's the difference between steel frames, light steel frames, etc?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Million Ghosts posted:

So I may have ended up with a slight alcohol addiction due to finding a huge beer stockpile before I had water filtration set up :v: What's the best way to beat addiction?

Time and abstaining from the devils drink

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Find a wooden barrel full of whiskey from a liquor stash, not have to worry about not being not drunk ever again!

Blackray Jack posted:

Alright I installed a trunk... what size wheel should I slap on? And what's the difference between steel frames, light steel frames, etc?

I imagine the heavier ones soak more damage but weigh more. The real biggie is the fact that it can eventually make your cart too heavy to move as you throw TVs, microwaves, bags of cement and jackhammers into the thing. If you're handy, make some metal hand rims and slap a seat, extra wheel and some controls on and make your own crazy salvaging wheelchair!

nftyw fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 30, 2015

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

nftyw posted:

Find a wooden barrel full of whiskey from a liquor stash, not have to worry about not being not drunk ever again!

I imagine the heavier ones soak more damage but weigh more. The real biggie is the fact that it can eventually make your cart too heavy to move as you throw TVs, microwaves, bags of cement and jackhammers into the thing. If you're handy, make some metal hand rims and slap a seat, extra wheel and some controls on and make your own crazy salvaging wheelchair!

This game is insane. Alright so, short of finding another mechanics book, what's a good method of raising mechanics from 3 to 4 so I can even install the wheel?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Blackray Jack posted:

This game is insane. Alright so, short of finding another mechanics book, what's a good method of raising mechanics from 3 to 4 so I can even install the wheel?

Take apart every piece of a few cars. You'll have infinite mechanics.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
My game is reliably crashing now whenever I try going east now. I don't know what's causing this but I tried heading east from varying distances of my safehouse and every time it crashes now. Am I hosed or is there some way of salvaging this? :(

EDIT: So it's not the ENTIRE eastern area at a point, it's just a specific area that I've been to before that now just autocrashes on me. I went north, then east, then south to the problem area before another instant crash.

Update: Tried waiting for night to go, same result. Also went south some ways then east. No clue what's going on or why it's doing this.

Final update: Through debug mode I teleported in to the problem NPCs, imploded their heads, and teleported back. Good news, it worked and I can now move there again. Bad news, there's a huge fuckoff horde there.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 30, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

nftyw posted:

I've seen high end CBM caches, cvd machines, lasers and other energy guns, nuke stockpiles, I think there's one with powerful plasma engines and efficient but fragile solar-panels. Oh yeah also those otherworldly creature prison arrays that don't work because flaming eyes.

Stockpiling water is a huge pain in the rear end because you need so much of it, I usually take a large container like a jerrycan and toss it under a funnel and pour water from it into a waterskin or gallon jug/3L jar. Rainwater is usually clean but if it does wind up making me sick, I either boil it if I absolutely need water now or just dump the contents out and try again.

at the time I didn't have much options, it was the choice between 'die of thirst' or 'get one bottle of clean water by dragging this singular bottle of river water home and boiling it in a frying pan.'

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I don't know if fungaloids are bugged right now, but it seems that in some circumstances killing them simply creates more of them.

Also, if you spend any amount of time in a place that has them, they replicate to fill the screen.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Trip report, had perfect ideal spawn, survive five days looting from the city and luring zombies away.

instantly slain by moose after five days despite all this after it charged out of loving no where and killed me before I could react as I was running home

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Hidden location spoilers below.

So I've cleared out the Necropolis Vault with about 2300 kills from my pimped-out A7 laser rifle. With about 4000 bionic power, UPS CBM, a metabolic interchange and ample food it was pretty tedious and uneventful work. I can't find any obvious high-end rewards though, just lots of low-end junk I already have huge amouts of at my homebase stash. The NPCs don't seem to have anything particular to say to me either. Is there anything to make this worthwhile I should be looking out for, or did I just become king of the Cataclysm's biggest junkpile?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

If you end up in a bad spot re: drinking containers again I think the enhanced survival mod lets you take stomachs you can get with a level or two of survival off dead animals and boil/seal them into some extra water holding.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
How would I go about diverting a horde? Shooting off a firearm while in a direction I want them to go to before simply taking a long route around back to where my house is? Trying to split them off piecemeal and fighting them mano-a-mano? Pray they go through?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

my second much better run I found a pair of gallon jugs and a ton of plastic bottles so I'd just fill the jugs with dirty water and boil that poo poo off as required, worked pretty well for my hobo fort.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is it possible to fill the non-liquid containers you can make with anything? I'm looking at you, seemingly useless canvas bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Anticheese posted:

Is it possible to fill the non-liquid containers you can make with anything? I'm looking at you, seemingly useless canvas bags.

Those are needed to hold cement. Thus they are useless since you need like 50 gorillion bags of the stuff and mortar and chemicals and lime and by then you're better off living in the basement you carved out of the rock than trying to build a concrete wall.