Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just got access to AD at my t1 helpdesk job. My boss told me not to do tutorials because she doesn't want me to overstep our scope.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to ignore that. AD is the first real skill I'm learning here that will give me leverage to move up to an admin position. Because I'm not staying at this job past the end of the contract unless we start getting a lot more in-depth.

What is your scope, basic account setup and password resets? If so there isn't anything to learn past the first 3 minutes. Honestly AD in general is real easy aside from the minor ADSIedits you have to do sometimes with migrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

give me leverage to move up to an admin position.
Learn powershell.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm scared shitless to buy more after some of the things I've heard. We have Airport Extremes at the moment which, even though they're lovely consumer APs I think we're getting the full advertised range and throughput. I really need something that can broadcast multiple SSIDs associated with different vlans, is sleek, has management software, and doesn't cost more than $500 a pop. All of our users have Mac Airs with AC radios so it seems a shame not to capitalize on that or backtrack to N (which I had horrible experiences with back in the early days).

I thought about buying a pair of their AC APs for my house, but I'm not too sure now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm scared shitless to buy more after some of the things I've heard. We have Airport Extremes at the moment which, even though they're lovely consumer APs I think we're getting the full advertised range and throughput. I really need something that can broadcast multiple SSIDs associated with different vlans, is sleek, has management software, and doesn't cost more than $500 a pop. All of our users have Mac Airs with AC radios so it seems a shame not to capitalize on that or backtrack to N (which I had horrible experiences with back in the early days).

Funnily enough, I replaced our Airport Extremes with AC's due to how crappy the AE's were. Buy one, try it out. Return if not satisfied.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

adorai posted:

Learn powershell.

I'm not sure what category that fits in my budget as, but I might just go over this month to pick up PowerShell in a month of lunches.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

When UBNT was dragging their heels updating their software (v2 stable was 2.4.6, to get from there to stable version 3 was over a loving year) the ACs had the most problems, and I think they might have been hardware issues too. At the time we stayed with the Pros and those were pretty solid through all the beta software nonsense.

We have a bunch of the ACs now and they're just about as solid as the Pros were. Which is to say, mostly fine, some issues notably with Macs. (This is on version 3.2.10 of the software - Ubiquiti has released version 4 now but it's basically to control the Unifi Switch and Security Gateway, and since we're just using the APs there's no reason to use it according to the forums). Since you're 100% Mac that's certainly concerning, but I think it's probably worth testing out to see if you actually have issues (machines claiming they're disconnected, mostly).

As with any other wireless product I'd say it helps to tune it appropriately - setting power levels, non-overlapping channels between adjacent APs (don't rely on the built-in automapping, UBNT's anyway is not the best and will in fact put adjacent APs on the same channels, though obviously this is much more common on 2.4 GHz which hopefully you don't have to use). Setting minimum RSSI too - we've noticed machines sticking to access points long after they've left that AP's range and entered another's, though that's usually down to the wifi stack on the machine as far as I know.

So I wouldn't give the things a 100% stamp of approval, but for the money they still have the best price/performance ratio.

If you decide not to, the Ruckus stuff is actually surprisingly cheap - their AC midlevel APs I think were only about $100 more than the Ubiquiti ones, although of course you also have to buy the controller. I have no experience with them so can't comment on the performance, but when I was researching options everyone seemed to think the Ruckus stuff was good quality. (And Aruba, but being bought by HP would make me run away).

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure what category that fits in my budget as, but I might just go over this month to pick up PowerShell in a month of lunches.
I'm sure that book is awesome. But you probably don't need it. Powershell is pretty easy to pick up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have recommendations for online PowerShell tutorials then? I would have to run any scripts at home, the work machine doesn't allow scripts.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm ashamed to say that I just had my mind blown by discovering that you can, in fact, remove a Windows computer from the domain and rejoin it with only one restart. :smith:
Teach me this wizardry

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for online PowerShell tutorials then? I would have to run any scripts at home, the work machine doesn't allow scripts.
PowerShell megathread in CoC: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

beepsandboops posted:

Teach me this wizardry

You can most of the time just join company.local instead of company or switched and it will let you rejoin. No need to even go into workgroup.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2019

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

beepsandboops posted:

Teach me this wizardry

Basically you just ignore the first restart prompt (actually, you don't close System after leaving the domain, so you don't see it).

Join the workgroup, give credentials, hit okay, and instead of closing the System control panel window, just do the same process but join it back to the domain, give credentials, and then restart.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

Thanks for the insights, this was a really good post. I figured that they had probably made improvements over time, but when I initially read that it didn't have ZHO and then all the bad reviews I nearly pooped myself. We stuck a few of them on light stands today with gobo clamps and we were getting performance comparable to the AEs. One of the big things on management's wishlist is to improve the handoff behavior and decrease the stickiness of the APs, so I'll try to mess with the RSSI settings and see what I come up with.
Messing with the RSSI is probably enough. My APs work exactly as I want without ZHO, and just having minimum RSSI with good coverage. The time to reassociate is very short, most people will never be able to notice, unless they are using VOIP or something.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

adorai posted:

Learn powershell.

get-aduser -filter {(ObjectClass -eq "user")} | remove-aduser :cawg:

Sometimes I think Powershell's downfall is that it's too powerful, and it lets people do things they otherwise wouldn't be able to do(skillwise) in a regular language. Sorta like that organization that deployed Windows 7 to all it's servers via SCCM when they forgot to check their collection. The automation capabilities of tools Microsoft has been releasing as of late are horrifyingly powerful. We had someone accidentally upgrade everyone to IE11. Well, I guess that's one way to press the issue of legacy applications!

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 29, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Just as a heads up to any powershell newbies, you should not run this command.

This should be okay:
get-aduser -filter {(ObjectClass -eq "user")} | remove-aduser -whatif

-whatif can save you a lot of pain.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Sometimes I think Powershell's downfall is that it's too powerful, and it lets people do things they otherwise wouldn't be able to do(skillwise) in a regular language. Sorta like that organization that deployed Windows 7 to all it's servers via SCCM when they forgot to check their collection. The automation capabilities of tools Microsoft has been releasing as of late are horrifyingly powerful. We had someone accidentally upgrade everyone to IE11. Well, I guess that's one way to press the issue of legacy applications!

This isn't really any different than every other automation framework, be it Chef or Puppet or the venerable SSH in a for-loop. At the end of the day, they're all running as Admin/root and let you shoot yourself in the foot with an ICBM if that's what you want. Testing and having a staging environment to work in is becoming as important for sysadmins as it is for developers, but most of us (myself certainly included) have a lot of work to do to get there.

There's no shortage of memes around this in the DevOps community.

"Make the same mistake 10,000 times instead of just once"
"Now you can continuously deploy bad code instead of batching it up for one bad deploy a year"
"Moving from a poorly designed monolithic app to thousands of poorly designed microservices"
"A/B testing whether users prefer HTTP 404 or 500 errors"
and so on

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
gently caress email jesus christ

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Day. Made.

I made a thing yesterday and was super proud:

get-childitem -recurse -filter "*EXT*.txt"| Where-Object { (Get-Content $_.FullName | select -first 1 | Measure-Object -character | select-object -expandproperty characters ) -eq 1494 } | Select -ExpandProperty FullName

There's probably a prettier way to write that (and probably a faster way) but eh.

I'm awake because someone else stuck their hand in my honey jar and got it all broken. I hate them so hard right now. I'm going to forward the emails where the customer is freaking out on someone, who is in turn sweetly asking me to suit up, to my boss in the calmest way possible at about two in the morning, then I'm going to bed, and I'm not waking up until I feel like it. You want me to get up in the middle of the night and fight fires, whatevs, I'm not gonna be there at 9:00 AM with my big girl pants on. (It helps that the asking for me to do something was done super nicely.)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Had to activate a copy of Server tonight which couldn't reach Microsoft activation - typically this means that annoying phone prompt exercise. Called them up and tonight it asks would I like to do it via smart phone. Yes I would. It sent me a URL, let me just type all the numbers in and boom, I was done in 45 seconds rather than the usual 4 minutes. And even better, you take that URL and prune as many "&customerid=949599xxxx&phone=949599xxxx&yourSSNis=2227xxxxx&yourbankbalanceis=42.01" parts of the URL, and you have something you can bookmark for future use. I love it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Methanar posted:

gently caress email jesus christ

Ask me how many blackilsts I've been on this year! :doh:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just as a heads up to any powershell newbies, you should not run this command.

Get-ADComputer * -Filter 'operatingsystem -like "*7*"' | get-random | invoke-command -ComputerName $_ -command 'get-process | where {$_.id -gt 1000} | get-random | stop-process'

I never actually tested that, but it's close enough :v:

I found get-random during a practical interview last year, and I think it may be my favorite thing.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I was talking to one of our folks who sits in an office, and it turns out that he's going to be the remote PM for another project out at Langley, VA, and he wanted to know if I might be interested in relocating there to take the just-recently vacated Virtualization Admin position (since I was studying for my VCP5 in preparation of taking the test in 2 weeks). He didn't have a salary range off the top of his head, but he was going to do some calling and would let me know.

Told him I was definitely interested. Now I'm trying to figure just how much a Virtualization Admin in Langley, VA should be charging, especially since it's at least a 10-15% cost of living increase. I'm thinking maybe $75-85k, but I might be way off.

I don't know much, but that seems really low for a skilled position in a very expensive area of the country.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Take the free course through M$ http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/getting-started-with-powershell-3-0-jump-start

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

We're reading the learn Powershell in a Month of Lunches in the lets read IT Thread.

Powershell is extraordinarily powerful but if you need to move thousands of objects a GUI isn't going be efficient.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

You have a link about that SCCM disaster?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Tab8715 posted:

We're reading the learn Powershell in a Month of Lunches in the lets read IT Thread.
Whoa. I browse the forums only through my control panel, which is to say I only see threads which I am subscribed to. This means I don't see new threads such as that, and this is the first time I've heard of that. What a fantastic thread idea, I'm going to lurk a bit and see if I can't catch up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Can I get a link to that thread? Couldn't find it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Can I get a link to that thread? Couldn't find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698237

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been reading it off and on for while also using some online videos. It really is a great book. What's really helped me is having that open on one monitor and the shell window in another. Nothing like getting immediate feedback as you learn.

Oh and here's the link to that SCCM disaster. Never use the All Computers container!
http://windowsitpro.com/windows-7/aggressive-configmgr-based-windows-7-deployment-takes-down-emory-university

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Here's a great article on building a good tech company culture that is actually concrete and doesn't rely on handwavey terms. Highly recommended reading for anyone in or considering any kind of technical management role.

http://radianttiger.com/2015/04/20/a-culture-that-attracts-quality-candidates/

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Whoa. I browse the forums only through my control panel, which is to say I only see threads which I am subscribed to. This means I don't see new threads such as that, and this is the first time I've heard of that. What a fantastic thread idea, I'm going to lurk a bit and see if I can't catch up.

The first book, The Phoenix Project, was great if you haven't read it yet.

I really tried to read the storage book, but just couldn't do it with my workload.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I can't wait to finish my degree so I can participate in these extracurricular threads :bang:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've been out of this thread for a couple weeks because I got a promotion and have significantly less free time to browse the forums. I was desktop support, am now helpdesk manager / corporate trainer / jr. network and server admin. I've been learning the ropes of all these hats, all while helping with a visualization migration from VMWare to Hyper-V.

My first pet project was to implement a VNC type program-- previously, if our techs had to work on a computer they had walk across campus and physically touch it. I have implemented MS's built-in solution of Remote Assistance, driven through Group Policy. It's really a simple and elegant solution-- my helpdesk guys can now click a shortcut, type a computer name and then they're in. One of the requirements for this project was user consent; some professors and school administrators don't like the idea of having IT being able to hop into their session at any time, and the simple pop up of "Helpdesk has offered Remote Assistance and would like to view your screen" solves that nicely.

In the process of this implementation, I've learned that our Active Directory leaves a lot to be desired. All domain computers are solely in the "Computers" container, including servers. There are no Organizational Units set up at all, and computers are not purged so there are registered PCs from 2006 in there. I started work on cleaning it up by making an OU of "Disabled PCs" and throwing the really old machines that haven't been logged into in a few years in there to be deleted at a later date. I think cleaning up and organizing the AD will be my next project, so I'm reading up on GP, AD, and OU Structures on Technet now.

Finally, I wanted to mention that the past few pages of this thread have been pretty great thanks to the Cloud-->Butt Extension

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, we've selected a backup/disaster-recovery solution, and now I have to tell the other vendors to go away.

I sort of feel bad, because I know one of them worked really hard to try and get me a great deal, but in the end, it wasn't the right solution (or the cheapest). I realize they're just vendors, and it's not like I'm breaking up with a girlfriend or whatever, but it sure feels like it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just got access to AD at my t1 helpdesk job. My boss told me not to do tutorials because she doesn't want me to overstep our scope.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to ignore that. AD is the first real skill I'm learning here that will give me leverage to move up to an admin position. Because I'm not staying at this job past the end of the contract unless we start getting a lot more in-depth.

I'm going to be in this boat soon, and if I do powershell in a month of lunches, I may be the only person who knows powershell save our Network Analyst.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm going to be in this boat soon, and if I do powershell in a month of lunches, I may be the only person who knows powershell save our Network Analyst.

Seriously. Learn loving PowerShell. It will be how you manage Windows in the future. Hell, it's practically how you manage Windows now. I'd you do anything more than color code Excel spreadsheets, learn loving PowerShell.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, we've selected a backup/disaster-recovery solution, and now I have to tell the other vendors to go away.

I sort of feel bad, because I know one of them worked really hard to try and get me a great deal, but in the end, it wasn't the right solution (or the cheapest). I realize they're just vendors, and it's not like I'm breaking up with a girlfriend or whatever, but it sure feels like it.

I hate that part. That's how they get you though, and they (and you) have to realize that business is business. A vendor can try to soften being not the cheapest with good post-sale suppport and design expertise, but at the end of the day if one guy is 50K cheaper the C-level people are going to spend .2 seconds considering the decision. Don't be afraid to tell them how much the other guys undersold them, either...come the next project they'll know what sort of target they'll need to beat to get your business.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mayodreams posted:

The first book, The Phoenix Project, was great if you haven't read it yet.

I really tried to read the storage book, but just couldn't do it with my workload.

Aside from learning what all the terms mean and how stuff like Fiberchannel and FCoE and things like that work, you didn't miss too much. Plus like 10% of the book was just EMC marketing their solutions at us. There wasn't a terrible lot of stuff that was seriously applicable day-to-day unless you were running a SAN on-site or whatever unless you didn't know how things like RAID worked before opening the book.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sheep posted:

Aside from learning what all the terms mean and how stuff like Fiberchannel and FCoE and things like that work, you didn't miss too much. Plus like 10% of the book was just EMC marketing their solutions at us. There wasn't a terrible lot of stuff that was seriously applicable day-to-day unless you were running a SAN on-site or whatever unless you didn't know how things like RAID worked before opening the book.

It's a book about process management in technology, not about technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I was talking about the EMC book ("the storage book") not the Phoenix project, which should have been obvious.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 29, 2015