Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

^^^^^^^^^
Edit, thanks. That makes sense. Now I see what he meant.

Where do you hike? This season I'm sticking to the east and the southern half of the AT.. Also I guess I'm not understanding the advantage of a pump filter in those instances. I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing it but care to enlighten me?

Also thanks for the steripen input. Duly noted, will stick with chemistry as my co treatment.

Seems like you got it but just to be sure I'll tell an example. One time in the interior of Bahia, Brasil, a stream on the map turned out to be almost completely dry (I have since learned to always look into "how's the water this time of year" when I go to drier climates), and the only water I could get at was a little trickle on a rock. With enough time, there was plenty of volume to fill my bottle. but I couldn't get the water from there to my bottle in the normal way. If I hadn't had a pump with me, I would have had to either use a spoon and spend an hour filling the bottle, or use a piece of clothing (get it wet, wring it into bottle, repeat for an hour). Because I had a pump, it barely took any longer than filling from a creek in lush, watery Pennsylvania.

Another time, there were better streams a mile back, but up near my campsite (which also showed a stream on the map), well, we turned out to be right at the spring source for the streams below. Meaning the water was pretty clear, but it was sort of a muddy bubble up where we were, and a muddy trickle below, until you backtracked about a mile back. So we used a rag (tied around the input hose to filter excess mud) and a pump to get that water out and it was great water. Dipping a bottle in there never would have worked without also getting a bunch of mud from it.

If I were hiking in, idk, pennsylvania, I'd probably feel safe going sans-filter because water is never hard to find here. But even here there are times that a stream is too small to easily get my bottle into, and sure I could hike another mile and find a better stream, but it's nice to be able to fill up from any source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I've had the same steripen for four years now and it's never failed me. It treated water that was noted at the trailhead had issues, and I was fine. The only thing to think about is keeping the batteries warm; if they fall below about freezing, you need to warm them up. I just throw it in my sleeping bag at night. I've always carried backup tablets and an extra set of batteries, but they've never been necessary.

It's light, fast, and effective.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
In case you're looking at different options: I got a Camelbak All Clear for nearly free which has been great while international vacationing, but holy poo poo I would never use that thing while backpacking.

Note that if you use UV light to sterilize, it scrambles the DNA. It doesn't kill the virus. The virus can repair itself with sunlight, but I've never ever found an answer as to how long the water would need to be exposed to sunlight in order to make the water unsafe again.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

UL2 :hfive: My local REI had two at the gear sale for $80 and $100, brand new in bag. I sold the one I bought 3 months prior for like $50 less than I bought it for, picked up the $80 one. :smuggo:

Edit: I bought an UL2 for myself to solo camp, because I assumed that a 1 person tent is basically a half person tent, when you are 6'2 and want to keep your pack dry at night.

Though I did use it over the summer on a hike with my sister. We just shoved the packs down at the end, both air pads fit snugly.

Yeah as someone who is 6'2 I will gladly carry the extra few oz for the 2 person tent. Also I have enough room to fit my girlfriend in there if I can convince her to do overnight.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

beefnoodle posted:

Fly or spin casting?

I was thinking spin casting as I don't know how to fly fish.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I can get one piece of arcteryx gear for something like 60% off with the deal through my work ending on thursday.

I need a backpack that fits me better than my gregory baltoro 65 but I was looking at those new AG ospreys, and I have decent clothing from other manufacturers including a patagonia down jacket and a decent REI rain jacket.

What should I buy/upgrade, goons?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

What size is your Gregory Baltoro 65? I may want to take it off your hands if its in ok condition.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Rontalvos posted:

I can get one piece of arcteryx gear for something like 60% off with the deal through my work ending on thursday.

I need a backpack that fits me better than my gregory baltoro 65 but I was looking at those new AG ospreys, and I have decent clothing from other manufacturers including a patagonia down jacket and a decent REI rain jacket.

I've got an osprey pack and I'm very impressed with it, but they're quite curved so if you have a very straight posture, they migh not be for you. I don't know the first thing about how well Arc' backpacks fit though. You could buy some Arc' shell pants if that's what you're missing in your current gear.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Optimus Subprime posted:

What size is your Gregory Baltoro 65? I may want to take it off your hands if its in ok condition.

Same, if it's a long and that doesn't work for Optimus Subprime. I was putting off getting a new pack until end of year, but eh if the price is right.

I was also looking at the Osprey AG packs. Then I remembered I bought a bungee pack a few years ago and hated every loving moment of it. Maybe they've come a long way since 09, but I'm skeptical.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Optimus Subprime posted:

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for lightweight fishing gear for backpacking? I am not an experienced fishermen by any means, but I have often looked at bodies of water while camping and been like "you know, fishing right now would be pretty cool". Any good guides to get someone started?

Any good oudoorsman shop, like Cabella's or Bass Pro and even some REIs, should have lighweight fishing gear available.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Optimus Subprime posted:

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for lightweight fishing gear for backpacking? I am not an experienced fishermen by any means, but I have often looked at bodies of water while camping and been like "you know, fishing right now would be pretty cool". Any good guides to get someone started?

Grab a fly rod and a small box of dry flies and nymphs and you can fish anywhere on earth.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
My wife wants me to find some kind of Kayak training for us to do together in the future and to get into kayaking.

Anyone know of a good resource for this kind of search? Maybe there's some guided training tours with rented equipment?

Any suggestions?

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

theroachman posted:

I've got an osprey pack and I'm very impressed with it, but they're quite curved so if you have a very straight posture, they migh not be for you. I don't know the first thing about how well Arc' backpacks fit though. You could buy some Arc' shell pants if that's what you're missing in your current gear.

I found the same thing with the atmos series, which i thought I wanted for a long time. But I ended up with an exos 58 and was very happy. Its not curved much, and it is a really light pack.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Rontalvos posted:

I love arcteryx gear, it will last forever. the only reason I am not using the arcteryx bora 60 pack I got 18 years ago is because its about 3 lbs heavier than my exos. Its still in perfect working order. If I were you I would find a jacket that meets your needs. Either light weight down, or rain, or snow. Those things will last forever.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

My wife wants me to find some kind of Kayak training for us to do together in the future and to get into kayaking.

Anyone know of a good resource for this kind of search? Maybe there's some guided training tours with rented equipment?

Any suggestions?

Open water kayaking is lots of fun, and there should be lessons available at any shop that sells kayaks. I took a class a while back, and 90% of the class were nice mid-40s ladies who just wanted to float around and gossip with a canteen of wine.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Any suggestions?

You're in the southeast, right? Nantahala Outdoor Center is supposed to be good for whitewater.
http://noc.com/lessons-training/paddling-school

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Feedbacker posted:

You're in the southeast, right? Nantahala Outdoor Center is supposed to be good for whitewater.
http://noc.com/lessons-training/paddling-school

This is a wonderful suggestion, thank you man!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Optimus Subprime posted:

I primary am interested in hiking as a way to be able to fish more interesting places and I struggle with cutting down gear weight. I will say that a ultra lightweight rod, 2-pieces, and under 6' assembled, and a light spinning reel is a good choice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Has anyone tried an Emmrod for backpacking? It seems like it could work.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
It's fly fishing and it's spendy, but Tenkara (telescoping reel-less Japanese-ish rods) is fantastic for backcountry backpacking. Streams and shorelines only, you won't reach fish feeding in the middle of a lake.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

This is a wonderful suggestion, thank you man!

You're welcome! I haven't dealt with them personally, but I've heard only good things.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Has anyone tried an Emmrod for backpacking? It seems like it could work.

I would like to try one, but not at that price. I am currently working on a rig to hold rods to my daypack. I'll post it if it works.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The last of the three packs arrived today and the thunderdome commenced.

Gossamer Gear Gorilla vs ULA Ohm 2.0 vs MLD Exodous

Winner: ULA Ohm 2.0

This isn't because the other packs were bad, but the optional S shape shoulder straps were amazing on my 6'2" 220 body (with shoulders only a linebacker could love). They cut away from the center of your pecs (or boobs) and towards the outside, alongside your armpit and they made carrying the pack so much more comfortable.

The other big factor was that this is my first non-5 pound awful pack, and I want something that can do it all. Something about the Ohm 2.0 just felt right and if I was 2 days into a 4 day trip and someone said "your pack has to slide down a 90 foot granite slope - which one do you want?", the Ohm 2.0 would be my choice. Its main compartment felt easier to load, the larger padded belt worked better on my big frame and the load lifter system felt more solid. I can easily see going with a much smaller bag from either of the other two companies down the road, but right now this seems like the best "do everything" pack.

Plus I love how it looks with yellow fabric ;)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

cheese posted:

The last of the three packs arrived today and the thunderdome commenced.

Gossamer Gear Gorilla vs ULA Ohm 2.0 vs MLD Exodous

Winner: ULA Ohm 2.0

This isn't because the other packs were bad, but the optional S shape shoulder straps were amazing on my 6'2" 220 body (with shoulders only a linebacker could love). They cut away from the center of your pecs (or boobs) and towards the outside, alongside your armpit and they made carrying the pack so much more comfortable.

The other big factor was that this is my first non-5 pound awful pack, and I want something that can do it all. Something about the Ohm 2.0 just felt right and if I was 2 days into a 4 day trip and someone said "your pack has to slide down a 90 foot granite slope - which one do you want?", the Ohm 2.0 would be my choice. Its main compartment felt easier to load, the larger padded belt worked better on my big frame and the load lifter system felt more solid. I can easily see going with a much smaller bag from either of the other two companies down the road, but right now this seems like the best "do everything" pack.

Plus I love how it looks with yellow fabric ;)

Beautiful pack 😀

I love my circuit and I haven't even hiked in it yet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Nice. Like I've said before I'm also a big fan of ULA packs and my Circuit was my favorite piece of gear on the JMT. They're not the lightest lightweight packs around but they bring a lot to the table

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I could only just tell that the Ohm 2.0 was heavier and this was with about 5 ounces of extra crap still on it like the wrist straps and such. The bigger belt and perfect S straps feel like they make any couple of ounce difference irrelevant to comfort.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I got the email that it had arrived, so I swung down to REI to pick up my expensive new toy tonight. I think this will work out just fine. Now to order some Tyvek on Amazon and make myself a custom footprint for it and I'm good to go.

I find it to be extremely roomy, yet light and surprisingly sturdy. I like the two doors and the rainfly makes a vestibule over each of them for even more covered storage space. Although it would be overkill from a space standpoint, I could even see myself taking this for solo camping until I figure out which bivy I want to get.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Hungryjack posted:

I got the email that it had arrived, so I swung down to REI to pick up my expensive new toy tonight. I think this will work out just fine. Now to order some Tyvek on Amazon and make myself a custom footprint for it and I'm good to go.

I find it to be extremely roomy, yet light and surprisingly sturdy. I like the two doors and the rainfly makes a vestibule over each of them for even more covered storage space. Although it would be overkill from a space standpoint, I could even see myself taking this for solo camping until I figure out which bivy I want to get.

That pole setup looks kinda complicated. How many separate pieces is it in?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What page was footwear chat on? I might take the plunge and try some non WP trail runners.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

That pole setup looks kinda complicated. How many separate pieces is it in?

Two poles. The main pole has a Y-split on each end and the second pole is a straight 3-segment across the middle.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Are the lights part of it, or did you add one of those 'rope-LED' strips? :catstare:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Considering the stuff sack calls it a "Copper Spur UL 3 mtnGLO", I suspect the lights came with.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I finally upgraded my daypack, I was using the same one for the past 6 or 7 years because it was seriously durable. It's been through hell and back and it has no tears, damage, or anything. But I wanted something with more volume that I could also use for school and work, so I went with this:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5032-845/mec-aria-30-daypack-womens/?h=10+20142&f=10+20142+50042

I have to say that I already love it. My biggest issue with my old one was that even though it was still completely useable, it was too small for when I was going out in adverse conditions. I really had to stuff my crap inside and anytime I'd stop to get something, I'd have to unpack and repack each time. This one is 30L and is so spacious. I really like the quick stuffing outer pocket too, it's a lot more manageable than the standard bungee cord system.

Now I actually have to get out and use it! Maybe Sunday. I'm going camping Saturday night so I'd better be on a trail somewhere the next day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

hailthefish posted:

Considering the stuff sack calls it a "Copper Spur UL 3 mtnGLO", I suspect the lights came with.

Yep, the lights come sewn in.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The girlfriend and I are going to be in San Francisco for the weekend and were interested in getting a hike in one of the days, anyone have any recommendations on fun/cool day hikes that can be done in the area? We won't have access to a car so anything we do would have been be accessed via walking or bus/train. It looks like the 76x is the bus we want to take, as it puts us wherever we want along golden gate park. Any must sees? Looking at yelp reviews for hiking stuff, it looks like the Marin Headlands are the most popular thing to do.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Good Dog posted:

The girlfriend and I are going to be in San Francisco for the weekend and were interested in getting a hike in one of the days, anyone have any recommendations on fun/cool day hikes that can be done in the area? We won't have access to a car so anything we do would have been be accessed via walking or bus/train. It looks like the 76x is the bus we want to take, as it puts us wherever we want along golden gate park. Any must sees? Looking at yelp reviews for hiking stuff, it looks like the Marin Headlands are the most popular thing to do.

Last year I stayed at the marin headlands hostel, and it was great. I think there is a bus out there on the weekends, but the hike in is pretty nice too. Some nice walks along the ocean with cool cliffs and so on. It is across the golden gate bridge and so kind of out of the way. If you were to start at the city side of the GG bridge and hike into Marin it's about 8-9km, and then another 4-5km hiking around the beaches/cliffs etc, though there are several trails around there that you could easily increase that distance.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Good Dog posted:

I was going to say Muir Woods/Mt Tam, but that's a bit too far out if you don't have a vehicle.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Note that if you use UV light to sterilize, it scrambles the DNA. It doesn't kill the virus. The virus can repair itself with sunlight, but I've never ever found an answer as to how long the water would need to be exposed to sunlight in order to make the water unsafe again.

Where did you hear this? It doesn't make any sense at all. Sunlight is UV?

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Sunlight is UV?

Sunlight is indeed UV, and you can even use sunlight to purify drinking water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Where did you hear this? It doesn't make any sense at all. Sunlight is UV?

Sorry, I had it backwards. Bacteria can regrow in darkness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection#Cautions

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 30, 2015