Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I forgot how bullshit Ultimate scores were in Theatrhythm, I was on a long quest and nearly got wiped by Blow Me a Kiss on Ultimate, I managed to pass with a tiny sliver of health left and a D rank but holy poo poo gently caress Ultimate scores forever, I foresee me using a lot of Fortune Spheres to bust down any Ultimates I encounter into Experts.

You must do as any anime does and train until the Ultimate tracks are no longer worthy to stand on the battlefield with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I forgot how bullshit Ultimate scores were in Theatrhythm, I was on a long quest and nearly got wiped by Blow Me a Kiss on Ultimate, I managed to pass with a tiny sliver of health left and a D rank but holy poo poo gently caress Ultimate scores forever, I foresee me using a lot of Fortune Spheres to bust down any Ultimates I encounter into Experts.

keep playing them until you can crush them under your heel

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I always just have a Phoenix Pinion equipped just for this purpose now, especially since I already got a shiny star for number of items used. I usually only switch to a Zeus' Wrath only if I have trouble with the final stage of a quest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you hated Noctis' Batman voice then I hate you. Every line being delivered in that deep rear end voice for this anime pretty boy was one of the best things about the demo and them changing it is dumb.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah it was super good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hearing this gravelly voiced teen struggle to hold back his joy of napping was a treasure.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

My complaint about the demo was that every system seemed geared towards being totally irritating rather than actually difficult, but that wasn't an option and I doubt anyone actually reads the freeform comments.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cake Attack posted:

i remember the days when america would specifically get easier games because they figured we couldn't deal with difficulty in our video games

Yeah seriously, boy the times have changed.

Git gud Japan :911:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
"The Demo is too long"? Uh... ok?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Difficult" isn't the same thing as "bullshit" my friend, if a scrub like me can do them then I'm sure you can too. They feel impossible at first for sure, and there are a small bunch that are pretty brutal, but you'd be surprised about how manageable they beome as you improve.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Beef Waifu posted:

If you hated Noctis' Batman voice then I hate you. Every line being delivered in that deep rear end voice for this anime pretty boy was one of the best things about the demo and them changing it is dumb.

I remember when Square-Enix took out vocals for a song in a FFXIII-2 song for the North American/European release because a journalist at the e3 showing didn't like it. They're trying very hard not repeat FFXIII's mistakes in the design of newer titles. However, the problems with FFXIII and the Final Fantasy series itself for the last decade have been management issues rather than just problems with the game's designs. The individual development teams that did good work in the past have had a difficult time adapting to HD game development and productions involving multiple teams.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah seriously, boy the times have changed.

Git gud Japan :911:

It might be the same in North America and Europe in a few years. A lot of children will grow up playing freemium mobile games where you Match-3/tap to win/guide the endless runner. Publishers and developers will start paying more and more attention to their tastes and purchasing habits. Likewise, people who grew up in an environment where gaming on consoles was the norm will eventually decline. We're already seeing this through many children and adolescents gravitating towards games like Minecraft and League of Legends or making Draven the winner in the Gamefaqs Character Battle over Link and Cloud.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sunning posted:

I remember when Square-Enix took out vocals for a song in a FFXIII-2 song for the North American/European release because a journalist at the e3 showing didn't like it. They're trying very hard not repeat FFXIII's mistakes in the design of newer titles. However, the problems with FFXIII and the Final Fantasy series itself for the last decade have been management issues rather than just problems with the game's designs. The individual development teams that did good work in the past have had a difficult time adapting to HD game development and productions involving multiple teams.

It might be the same in North America and Europe in a few years. A lot of children will grow up playing freemium mobile games where you Match-3/tap to win/guide the endless runner. Publishers and developers will start paying more and more attention to their tastes and purchasing habits. Likewise, people who grew up in an environment where gaming on consoles was the norm will eventually decline. We're already seeing this through many children and adolescents gravitating towards games like Minecraft and League of Legends or making Draven the winner in the Gamefaqs Character Battle over Link and Cloud.

A terrifying future...

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

A terrifying future...

Eh..don't worry about it so much. I am already past the age where my gaming preferences are no longer considered the target audience. It shows too. A lot of features in newer games are less appealing to me. A lot of new features are things I like too though. However, what is most important is variety. There are still more games that I want to play than my disposable time allows. As long as that is the case then all is well.

That plus while kids like their mobile games (I know..I have two that do this), they still spend a fair chunk of their time playing other types of games too both on consoles and PC. They will use whatever platforms that their parents make available to them provided that the games that they have access to are fun. What I am saying is that while mobile gaming is taking a bite out of the market's disposable time, there remains plenty of market demand for other kinds of games with more traditional business models.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Any minimization of Cloud is a net win imo

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cake Attack posted:

i remember the days when america would specifically get easier games because they figured we couldn't deal with difficulty in our video games

I never understood why this was the case. In the 1980s for US RPGs you had stuff like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, and Ultima (and TSR's Goldbex D&D games). Japan's RPGs were Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. The only reason to give us easymode RPGs would be out of pity.

ImpAtom posted:

I like the idea the Cindy wasn't 'supposed to be sexy' when she's like three seconds away from starring in a bad skinimax flick at any given moment. It ain't even accidental, they didn't pick those camera angles by mistake.

Just say you wanted your titty mechanic. It's less insulting than us trying to pretend she isn't a titty mechanic.

Cidney looks to be dressed to perform at a Bachelor's party. I could see them believing their bullshit simply because after so many years in the industry they lost the ability to see fanservice as anything but normal and so when people complain about the stripper mechanic they're confused because well there's supposed to be a tits and rear end girl in every anime why do these people not get that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If they successfully update the demo to put more clothes on Cidney I will personally hunt down and eliminate every idiot who said she was too sexy on the Demo Feedback Form, Jason Bourne style

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cidney is awesome. Keep her as is.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
the designs of Cindy a page or so back would be a huge improvement imo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dubious posted:

the designs of Cindy a page or so back would be a huge improvement imo

:agreed: Europe has it right, her design is just loving cheesy and like ImpAtom pointed out, is more at home in a lovely Skinimax flick than a game. Also I got a good laugh out of them "putting their heart and soul" into that design, unless their hearts are their dicks. Considering they were confused that people wanted a female character in the party but found Cindy's sex appeal over-the-top, I'm not sure they can relate to women in a way that even approaches realistic. "Why would players want a female character if not to see their tits?" Tabata asks in earnest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If they successfully update the demo to put more clothes on Cidney I will personally hunt down and eliminate every idiot who said she was too sexy on the Demo Feedback Form, Jason Bourne style

this only without anything that means I have to leave the house

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't care about her design, make the loving game good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

sadly they mixed up the 'good game' slider with the boob slider

wait, not sadly

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If they're focusing on consistent FPS and more interactivity in the battle, it could work towards making it more fun. Also uh maybe a good magic system?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game's really good the way it is, but the FPS, AI, and getting lost in fights are legit complaints that could all be worked on not Noctis' loving voice and how ashamed Tabata should be about Cindy's daisy dukes.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't care about her design, make the loving game good.

This right here. In a world where I can't even leave my house for an hour without seeing an actual boob window, it is hard for me to consider her look to be offensive. There are much more important things for SE to dedicate their XV development resources towards right now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really care enough to make a fuss but I think the other design looked pretty cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do agree though that design is nicer, yes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sunning posted:

You have a (terrifying) point there, but I dunno. If we managed to grow up with simple little atari games and then graduate to SNES epic RPGs and stuff, little kids these days can too.

If anything the transition will be easier because there's so much freaking media out there. All it takes is a little curiosity in a game to search youtube for "lets play dark souls" and you can see what a game is all about.

Remember when 'lets play's were just something goons did? poo poo man... :corsair:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Xavier434 posted:

This right here. In a world where I can't even leave my house for an hour without seeing an actual boob window, it is hard for me to consider her look to be offensive. There are much more important things for SE to dedicate their XV development resources towards right now.

It's not like people are afraid to see tits or something but it's obvious pandering to the 13-21 demo. Yeah, there are bigger things for Tabata and co to worry about and focusing on the gameplay is what they should be doing but the way he talked about Cindy was flat-out hilarious and retarded so it stood out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a lot of Japanese developers honestly. I think it's just a Japanese thing that they don't realize they're pandering as much as they are even though half of the designs usually are honest effort and the other half is pandering.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's the 20% "didn't like the characters" thing from Japan that surprises me

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I didn't notice before, but I find it interesting that "The world was too open" is one of the few that only has responses from North America and Europe. I'd have figured there'd be a lot more Japanese responses along those lines because of how, if I remember right, XII got panned by Japanese players for being too open and all, when that felt way more restrictive than the XV demo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You have a (terrifying) point there, but I dunno. If we managed to grow up with simple little atari games and then graduate to SNES epic RPGs and stuff, little kids these days can too.

It wasn't really the same. We graduated to bigger games from smaller games. The new games however are a core fundamental design difference. They're free or nearly so, easily accessible and available in huge numbers.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's the 20% "didn't like the characters" thing from Japan that surprises me

It's very very possible at least part of that is the crowd upset that it isn't cute moe girls.

Dragonatrix posted:

I didn't notice before, but I find it interesting that "The world was too open" is one of the few that only has responses from North America and Europe. I'd have figured there'd be a lot more Japanese responses along those lines because of how, if I remember right, XII got panned by Japanese players for being too open and all, when that felt way more restrictive than the XV demo.

Notice the huge jump in "do not understand goals." That's a big thing. The problem with open worlds isn't "I don't like to explore open worlds," it's the lack of motivation and goals. Linearity makes it easier to provide goals.

FFXII complaints call it 'aimless' and 'meandering' and I think that's a big part of the gap. Japanese gamers don't dislike open world games, but react more poorly to lack of clear goals or objectives.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 29, 2015

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

A terrifying future...

It's the nature of the game industry. There was a time when flight sims on the PC were best sellers. Genres, systems, and developers will have their ups and downs due to changes in technology and consumer tastes. Depending on what type of games you like, you'll get used to the future.

If you like MOBAs and F2P games with a marketplace for hats, you'll see a lot of more of them from both big traditional publishers (EA/Acti-Blizzard) and European/Asian publishing giants (Wargaming.Net/Tencent). The current retail market in North America heavily favors sports games, multiplayer shooters, and open world games with bars to fill. If you like Battlefield/Madden/FIFA/Call of Duty/Elder Scrolls/Fallout/GTA, then you'll be fine. I don't think those type of games will go away anytime soon.

You might see some changes in the market such as single-player centric shooters and sim racers disappearing due to poor sales. Games like Just Dance might hit a wall with casual players leaving for mobile devices. Over the last decade, I saw RTS games on PC go from bestsellers to awkward cross platform releases and finally a niche with many longtime players gravitating to MOBAs.

In Japan, the best selling games (not including mobile) last year were all 3DS games, such as Pokemon, Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter 4 and Smash Bros for 3DS. The only home console games in the top ten were Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros for Wii U. However, the console industry is the weakest it has ever been in over 20 years. The mobile gaming industry absolutely dwarfs the traditional console gaming market. Unlike their Western counterparts, there aren't as many opportunities for Japanese console developers to make games through a boutique publisher or crowd sourcing. They'll have to probably have to go through a Western publishers to make big budget console games, such as Tangoworks being acquired by Zenimax. With Nintendo inking a deal with DeNA, we'll probably see an acceleration towards mobile game development throughout the Japanese game industry.

Zaphod42 posted:

If anything the transition will be easier because there's so much freaking media out there. All it takes is a little curiosity in a game to search youtube for "lets play dark souls" and you can see what a game is all about.

Remember when 'lets play's were just something goons did? poo poo man... :corsair:

Purchasing habits and tastes are changing as well. As a child, I would go to a retail store like Funco Land (now Gamestop) to buy games or a new system. People like me have gotten used to pre-ordering to receive bonus content either from a retail store or online through a Stream pre-purchase.

Now, a child can download a free game on a smartphone and start playing immediately. Many games give out free in-game currency so players get used to purchasing microtransactions. It'll be very difficult for them to break these habits. If I grew up playing free games on my smartphone's touchscreen, would I buy Dark Souls 4: Praise the Sun Harder and whatever console it was on to play it with a controller? It's a lot of barriers to entry for someone who is usually plays a free game on their smartphone with a touchscreen.

Most people have smartphones since it's an omni-device that allows them to read email, browse the internet, take photos, play music, and call people. Playing games on it is a free and convenient bonus. Parents often let their children play games on it whenever they're not using it, If they're a casual player, they might be uninterested in purchasing games and consoles that feature more depth since their mobile games are good enough for their needs. They might not see a point in having or carrying another gaming device with when the one they have is working fine.

Likewise, someone who is happy with their smartphone's camera won't rush out to buy an enthusiast camera. The camera on their cellphone is good enough for their needs and they might not see a point in having a high-end camera that is priced at a premium. We've seen the entry level and mid-level audio and camera markets get demolished by smartphones and mobile devices. Could that happen to videogame consoles? We've already seen mobile devices devastate dedicated gaming systems in Japan, especially home consoles. It's understandable why many Japanese developers and publishers are pursuing mobile game development rather than continuing to make games for a shrinking enthusiast market.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

If you could only pick one option it could simply be that all the Japanese players who felt it was too open also felt it was too hard or too long and went with those options instead.

ImpAtom posted:

It wasn't really the same. We graduated to bigger games from smaller games. The new games however are a core fundamental design difference. They're free or nearly so, easily accessible and available in huge numbers.

Its not the same, we went from small games to big games, which is why these other kids won't be able to go from their small games to our big games? :v:

Who cares about the cost? Are you arguing that there's so many lovely free games that nobody will ever discover payed-for games are better? Again, youtube.
The internet makes awareness a non-issue. Its just a question of if it appeals to them or not, and definitely it will for some.

"Easily accessible" applies to some AAA games too. And available in huge numbers, so what?

Sunning posted:

Purchasing habits and tastes are changing as well. As a child, I would go to a retail store like Funco Land (now Gamestop) to buy games or a new system. People like me have gotten used to pre-ordering to receive bonus content either from a retail store or online through a Stream pre-purchase.

Now, a child can download a free game on a smartphone and start playing immediately. Many games give out free in-game currency so players get used to purchasing microtransactions. It'll be very difficult for them to break these habits. If I grew up playing free games on my smartphone's touchscreen, would I buy Dark Souls 4: Praise the Sun Harder and whatever console it was on to play it with a controller? It's a lot of barriers to entry for someone who is usually plays a free game on their smartphone with a touchscreen.

Yeah, if only there were some kind of digital distribution system for major AAA games on Steam and PS4 and Xbone. :rolleyes:
So that argument falls on its face. Yes, retail has shifted; and games both mobile and AAA have shifted along with it. There's no inherent advantage to mobile there.

Next, people can pay for free? You know there's AAA free2play games too, right? TF2, DOTA2, League of Legends, poo poo like that. Those games can easily penetrate into the freemium mobile gamer market.

Plus lots of mobile games cost money too, or have annoying amounts of in-game purchases to be able to play. Players may actually be relieved to find out they can play games they buy as much as they want without some kind of daily limit on "energy" they have to whip out the credit card to extend! You're only looking at this from a single angle and that's pretty naive.

Difficult to break from microtransaction habits? Then AAA games will embrace free2play with microtransactions.

Wait, what argument are you guys even saying here? It seems to be both that Japanese players won't play AAA games because of mobile, but at the same time you're kinda arguing free2play versus up-front cost and AAA versus indie....

Lots of different arguments getting conflated here. Most of what you guys are saying about mobile games can apply to AAA games too. They're just different business models, none of them are inherent to one platform or style of game.

They're not going to jump from playing flappy bird to playing Dark Souls, but nobody did! We didn't either! We went from Atari to NES to SNES to Playstation, and they'll go from iOS to free2play Steam to boxed games or whatever. Same difference. Now maybe Japanese gamers have less home time or free space and so they use consoles less, but they'll still appreciate serious AAA games on Vita or 3DS.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 29, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

They're not going to jump from playing flappy bird to playing Dark Souls, but nobody did! We didn't either! We went from Atari to NES to SNES to Playstation, and they'll go from iOS to free2play Steam to boxed games or whatever. Same difference.

why would they bother? we had to keep jumping generations because they changed console generations every so often and ios/android and their derivatives aren't going away anytime soon. if they want to keep playing ios games forever there'll 100% be a market to accommodate that

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I do miss RTS being a big thing on PC.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fungah! posted:

why would they bother? we had to keep jumping generations because they changed console generations every so often and ios/android and their derivatives aren't going away anytime soon. if they want to keep playing ios games forever there'll 100% be a market to accommodate that

If you wanna play NES or SNES games right now nobody's stopping you. We didn't jump generations because our old consoles stopped working. (Well, not most of us) We jumped generations because the new consoles had really cool amazing games that we really really wanted. We saw them and we thought they were cooler than the things we had.

Some few people will be fully satisfied by iOS games, sure, but if you think the legions of Japanese fans of Final Fantasy are going to just die off and nobody'll want a game more engrossing than Angry Birds or Temple Run I think you're completely bonkers. I mean even if that were to start to happen, companies like Sony and Nintendo would go on huge marketing campaigns to try to sell their products to this new generation. They're not just quietly going into that good night. Or do you think Sony and Nintendo will just go "Guess people only want simple games now" and stop making anything with depth ever again?

There are the FF ports on iOS but :barf:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not the same, we went from small games to big games, which is why these other kids won't be able to go from their small games to our big games? :v:

Who cares about the cost? Are you arguing that there's so many lovely free games that nobody will ever discover payed-for games are better? Again, youtube.
The internet makes awareness a non-issue. Its just a question of if it appeals to them or not, and definitely it will for some.

"Easily accessible" applies to some AAA games too. And available in huge numbers, so what?

We went from expensive small games to expensive big games. Freemium represents a new model where people who get bored can move on to a new game in a moment and if they get invested in a game they can play it for a small eternity because most of the games are designed for near-infinite play.

"Easily accessible" does not remotely apply to $60 games that come in multi-gig downloads and require specialized systems to play. The ease of just downloading a new game is huge.

Zaphod42 posted:

Some few people will be fully satisfied by iOS games, sure, but if you think the legions of Japanese fans of Final Fantasy are going to just die off and nobody'll want a game more engrossing than Angry Birds or Temple Run I think you're completely bonkers.

This has literally already happened. Console sales in Japan cratered.

Zaphod42 posted:

Or do you think Sony and Nintendo will just go "Guess people only want simple games now" and stop making anything with depth ever again?

Both Sony and Nintendo are working to leverage their IPs to those people for a reason.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
"iOS crap" as a generality may not be a gateway into more complex games, but there are also incredibly popular mainstream games kids like like Minecraft and Clash of Clans that absolutely could be, and the people playing New Bird Related Title and no other kinds of games wouldn't have ever become obsessed with Fallout or Star Control 2 either