Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

Exactly! They've got little room to 'dictate terms' to the Labour party.

They don't want or need a huge amount of room though, is my point. Ideologically, or at least, in terms of ideological ideals they're extremely similar. Don't pay too much attention to "dictate", focus on "terms"; we'll support Labour legislating big thing as long as we get to define some small implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
How many seats do the Tories/Lib Dems/DUP/UKIP combined currently have? Whilst a workable government of them seems very unlikely, how many seats do they have to lose before a Tory led government becomes impossible?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CoolCab posted:

They don't want or need a huge amount of room though, is my point. Ideologically, or at least, in terms of ideological ideals they're extremely similar. Don't pay too much attention to "dictate", focus on "terms"; we'll support Labour legislating big thing as long as we get to define some small implementation.

Well that's hard to find fault with.

The ideal solution to all this of course is for the SNP to drop their commitment to independence and for Labour to pull out of Scotland entirely, then in about 20 years the parties can merge.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mediadave posted:

How many seats do the Tories/Lib Dems/DUP/UKIP combined currently have? Whilst a workable government of them seems very unlikely, how many seats do they have to lose before a Tory led government becomes impossible?

They'd need a majority to survive a confidence vote, which is why SNP+Labour reaching 326 is the magic number, as they would (barring some Grand Coalition malarky) always vote the Tories down.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

dispatch_async posted:

Also I find it bizarre that people think that every single policy that a Labour government might want to bring forwards over the next 5 years is already set out in their manifesto. Much of the awful poo poo the last Labour government did wasn't in any manifesto (as was some of the positive stuff - circumstances change over the course of a parliament).

Yeah pretty much. If Labour had a history of sticking to their manifestos we would have an elected house of lords by now.

Pissflaps posted:

The ideal solution to all this of course is for the SNP to drop their commitment to independence and for Labour to pull out of Scotland entirely, then in about 20 years the parties can merge.

:lol:

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

namesake posted:

I think the Lib Dems want to be out of government again and so are proposing all kinds of red lines and deal breakers about all kinds of things so they can refuse to form another coalition while remaining 'principled'.

I have heard that before, but that's a bit stupid if it is their plan. That would mean the only example anyone would have of Lib Dems in government in 100 years and being the influence they claim they want to be is of them being the least popular part of an unpopular government (that, I think is only going to get less popular in hindsight).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pissflaps posted:

Not for the SNP it's not, the ideal situation for them in lieu of independence would be to have a working relationship with Labour similar to the SDLP (except with more muscle due to having a load of seats rather than a handful).

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
If we assume that the SNP are unlikely to vote with the Tories very much then Labour can deal with the Lib Dems to pass any votes that the SNP abstain on.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lord of the Llamas posted:

If we assume that the SNP are unlikely to vote with the Tories very much then Labour can deal with the Lib Dems to pass any votes that the SNP abstain on.

Aligning with the Tories already killed half their base, aligning with Labour and the SNP would kill the other half. The Lib Dems are waffling this election because pandering to their now radically reduced base means pandering to people who enjoyed the coalition.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CoolCab posted:

Aligning with the Tories already killed half their base, aligning with Labour and the SNP would kill the other half. The Lib Dems are waffling this election because pandering to their now radically reduced base means pandering to people who enjoyed the coalition.

Ah, I was wondering who their current "truth is in the middle" message appealed to..

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I wonder what the SNP will look like in 5 years time. I have my doubts that the party will retain its impetus due to its nature of promising everything to everyone. As soon as this next referendum issue begins to drag on, I have a feeling there may be a shedding of members to some sort of hard line Scottish independence party.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

CoolCab posted:

For most of the seats they're going to keep their base in this election is anti-Tory tactical voters...

Pretty sure most of the "Orange Bookers" like Clegg and Alexander are likely hosed in this election.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

For most of the seats they're going to keep their base in this election is anti-Tory tactical voters...

Pretty sure most of the "Orange Bookers" like Clegg and Alexander are likely hosed in this election.

Yeah, I heard some UKIP guy talking about how with Farage's name on the ballot they'll have 5-10% more than just UKIP as in the polling for Thanet South. I can well imagine the opposite to be true for Clegg in Sheffield Hallam.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I like to imagine that Dave (like some modern day Fagin) sent Cleggy out to steal this van full of ballot papers. :3:

I also like to imagine that when Dave heard that the ballot papers would be voided so as to be unusable he got out the cane and punished poor old Cleggy's arse. But that's.... that's a whole other thing....

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 29, 2015

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Antwan3K posted:

Yeah, I heard some UKIP guy talking about how with Farage's name on the ballot they'll have 5-10% more than just UKIP as in the polling for Thanet South. I can well imagine the opposite to be true for Clegg in Sheffield Hallam.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/29/clegg-farage-sheffield-south-thanet-ashcroft-poll

quote:

Clegg’s majority is around 15,000 but Labour have been fighting hard in the seat in an attempt to “decapitate” the Lib Dems. Clegg said he had not seen Ashcroft’s latest poll, but added that private Lib Dem polling of the constituency put him “firmly ahead” and repeated that those polled had not been told the name of the candidate, which he argues distorts the result.

:ironicat:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

quote:

Labour is unhappy about the make-up of the audience at Thursday’s BBC Question Time event.

Party sources said it is another example of the BBC giving into Cameron’s demands, as 50% of the audience will be from government parties. The split is Conservative 25%, Labour 25%, Lib Dem 25% and don’t knows 25%.

Ed Miliband is taking part in the Question Time event last, after David Cameron and then Nick Clegg. They will each face 30 minutes of questioning from the studio audience, who will submit questions in advance and on the night.

Hosted by David Dimbleby, it will be broadcast from Leeds Town Hall from 8pm and is being shown live on BBC One.

Labour consider Cameron has previously got his own way because he refused to debate head-to-head with Miliband and the broadcasters shied away from empty-chairing him.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

It's a companion piece.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 29, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
i wonder if ol' rupert's a bit upset that miliband said his power is waning

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See, nonpartisan journalism at its finest.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05rk8rj

Go to 29 minutes in.

David Cameron literally says "if you don't have a job in 6 months you have to go home" about EU migrants.

He's gone full UKIP! I can't believe the interviewer didn't call him out on that.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Ah, the Sun never ceases to make me roll my eyes.

Here's another wheelchairgate, this time involving a peer.

quote:

A Lib Dem peer who is wheelchair-bound today told how she was made to feel like a nuisance “inanimate object” after she was barred from boarding an almost empty bus.

Baroness Sal Brinton was told by a bus conductor to wait for the next number 24 from Euston station after a young father refused to move his pram, despite wheelchair users taking priority just after midday yesterday.

The Lib Dem party president, who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and can only walk a few paces, said the father just turned his back on her and the bus conductor refused to even ask him to move his buggy.

Baroness Brinton, who had been on her way to party HQ in Westminster, told the Standard: “The guy just refused to cooperate and turned his back on me and the conductor refused to even have a conversation with him.

“The conductor told me there was another bus coming soon, but that sailed past while we were having that discussion. In the end they just closed the doors on me leaving the people at the bus stop frothing at the mouth with anger.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Counterpoint!

quote:

Up to two thirds of the audience in Thursday’s Question Time Leaders’ debates will be left wing, The Telegraph can disclose.
The numbers of Labour and Liberal Democrat voters in the audience for the programme will reignite the row over audience bias which dogged the last election debate.

Looks like both sides pre-emptively claiming that the audience is biased against their guy!

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

mediadave posted:

I have heard that before, but that's a bit stupid if it is their plan. That would mean the only example anyone would have of Lib Dems in government in 100 years and being the influence they claim they want to be is of them being the least popular part of an unpopular government (that, I think is only going to get less popular in hindsight).

People forget. Remember when no-one was ever voting Labour again after Iraq? Those were the days.

The only exception to this rule seems to be WW2 which our national identity has been pretty hung up on ever since.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

keep punching joe posted:

It's a companion piece.

So they're endorsing the Tories because they can stop the party they're endorsing in Scotland.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

It's a companion piece.

Can you reupload this as when I click on it I get a 404 error

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

notaspy posted:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

notaspy posted:

Sorry, fixed the link. Annoying Imgur BBcode glitch.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Counterpoint!

quote:

Up to two thirds of the audience in Thursday’s Question Time Leaders’ debates will be left wing, The Telegraph can disclose.
The numbers of Labour and Liberal Democrat voters in the audience for the programme will reignite the row over audience bias which dogged the last election debate.
Looks like both sides pre-emptively claiming that the audience is biased against their guy!

Found their mistake. Do you think they'll print a correction?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

thanks d00dz

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Just going back to this article. Does anyone more familiar with the Labour party know if they're not fighting the Conservatives on this point because they're fully signed up to an austerity = good vision of the world, or because they know it's wrong and have taken a tactical decision not to speak out about it?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Prince John posted:

Just going back to this article. Does anyone more familiar with the Labour party know if they're not fighting the Conservatives on this point because they're fully signed up to an austerity = good vision of the world, or because they know it's wrong and have taken a tactical decision not to speak out about it?

The press has decided it's true, so it is true. Much like how immigration is a bad thing because the press has decided it's bad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zalakwe posted:

People forget. Remember when no-one was ever voting Labour again after Iraq? Those were the days.

The only exception to this rule seems to be WW2 which our national identity has been pretty hung up on ever since.
I still associate (New) Labour with their authoritarian anti-terror ban everything tough-on-crime spree. It's not like the Tories have ever been much better on that, and any promises to undo Blair-era legislation under the coalition either got ignored or was shouted down by the Daily Mail crowd. That leaves a handful of parties that will not get in. My local Labour candidate was not running for anything when those things were going on though, so that seems hopeful. Maybe he will turn into UltraLabour and start machinegunning prisoners while banning goldfish if he gets elected though :ohdear:

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

It's a companion piece.

It must really gall Murdoch that there's not even a party who'll do well enough UK-wide that he can run an endorsement that'll allow for SUN WOT WON IT trumpeting post-election

I wish they had ran a more pragmatic front page that's like IT'S A TORY-LIB DEM-DEMOCRATIC UNIONIST-UKIP- OH GOD OH MY GOD KILL IT and the baby is Cameron with like Nick Clegg's head attached to his head and one arm is a miniature Peter Robinson and Nigel Farage's mouth is bellowing from where its navel should be

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

I imagine we'll see if they get into office, once they're in government they can do what they like, but as stated, apparently everyone believes that austerity is very cool and good so to publicly object to it (without the support of the media) would be a losing battle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

GimpChimp posted:

It must really gall Murdoch that there's not even a party who'll do well enough UK-wide that he can run an endorsement that'll allow for SUN WOT WON IT trumpeting post-election
They will do that anyway. You're assuming facts get in the way of their front page.

GimpChimp posted:

I wish they had ran a more pragmatic front page that's like IT'S A TORY-LIB DEM-DEMOCRATIC UNIONIST-UKIP- OH GOD OH MY GOD KILL IT and the baby is Cameron with like Nick Clegg's head attached to his head and one arm is a miniature Peter Robinson and Nigel Farage's mouth is bellowing from where its navel should be
If ever there were an argument for infanticide. :stonkhat:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zalakwe posted:

Living with an actual Tory government tends to give you a bit of perspective.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
beaker angry! beaker leak secret tory plans for cuts!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/29/danny-alexander-tory-plans-welfare-cuts-child-benefits

quote:

Danny Alexander, the Liberal Democrat chief secretary to the Treasury, has taken the extraordinary step of lifting the lid on Tory plans for an £8bn plan to cut welfare, including slashing child benefits and child tax credits.
Alexander reveals that in June 2012, members of the Quad – the inner group of the four most senior cabinet members – were sent a paper by the work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith entitled “Welfare Reform Quad Summer Reading Pack” setting out plans for £8bn of welfare reforms.
The proposed cuts included:
  • Limiting support to 2 children in child benefit and child tax credit, so cutting up to £3,500 from a family with three children.
  • Removing the higher rate child benefit from the first child, an average cut of over £360 for every family with children.
  • Means testing child benefit – cutting £1,750 for a two child middle income family
  • Removing child benefit from 16 to 19 year olds – a cut of over £1,000 for parents of a single child.
The £8bn worth of welfare cuts were drawn up by Duncan Smith at a time when the cabinet was considering whether to stick to its timetable to reduce Britain’s national debt as a proportion of GDP. The plan was dropped.
In a statement setting out his reasons for disclosing the existence and content of the documents, Alexander said: “I am lifting the lid on this now because the Conservatives are trying to con the British people by keeping their planned cuts secret until after the election.
“It’s clear from our time in government that the Tories target will be slashing support for families.
They now ask the British people to trust them when they make unfunded pledges on health and tax yet they won’t tell us how they will cut welfare for millions of families to pay for their plans. They may give with one hand but they will take away twice as much as with the other.”
A Liberal Democrat source added: “The measures set out in the document would have raised over £8bn – and shines a light on the scale of the cuts to working age welfare support the Tories will need to make to deliver on their cuts to welfare.
“Whilst the Tories refuse to make their cuts public it is clear they have already done the thinking If this is what they were capable of proposing in 2012, this is what they will be planning in 2015. It’s really important political leaders should be held to account on this in the last TV debate of the election. The public need the full picture to make the judgement.”

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

So they're endorsing the Tories because they can stop the party they're endorsing in Scotland.

The more Labour has to depend on the SNP the better "project illegitimate government" will run. The Lab-SNP coalition everyone is depending on has to survive the obvious vicious bullshit it's going to be put through. I do hope the NATS realise the Tories WILL put Scotland through hell if they get back in. The SNP will not be enough to protect them. We will all suffer together <3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Looking forward to the May Thread with an Election Poll. :coolfish:

• Locked thread