Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
How does everyone like the Sawyer mini? I've been using drops for my water, but it seems like a decent step up in the world. Any reasons why I may hate it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

How does everyone like the Sawyer mini? I've been using drops for my water, but it seems like a decent step up in the world. Any reasons why I may hate it?

I like mine just fine, and I can't think of any reasons not to like it, if you're ok with gravity filters. Maybe that it stops working right if it freezes?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I've heard good things about the Renovo Trio. Filtration is a bit finer as well (but not enough to really make a difference I don't think).

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I use one with one of those plastic Platypus water bags. It works great, is cheap, and is easy to maintain, however it does take a substantial amount of time to actually use it. I generally go out with a couple of Nalgene bottles and it can take 20 mins or more to fill them up, definitely best as a personal filter. However you'll find slowness with any filtration system (including gravity systems, which you don't have to babysit at least), and you can drink the water immediately which is a huge plus.

Think I saw someone a few pages ago talking about the Katadyn pump filter, a little late but to throw in my $.02, really not a fan of those things. They seem nice but one completely failed on a camping trip I took with some friends a few years ago, my buddy owned it for less than a year and took it out on less than 10 trips, it literally just fell apart while he was using it and we couldn't get it to hold together again. If you look at long term reviews it seems like a more common problem than it should be.

With the Sawyer I usually carry an extra ziplock bag or two so I can scoop up water from a shallower or slower moving source (that would normally be difficult to retrieve water from with a dedicated filtration bag), and dump the dirty water into the Platypus to filter it.

Edit: vvv Yeah, anecdotal evidence and all that (by that I mean my experience, not yours). Most people who have them do seem to really like them, but if you read up on reviews there does seem to be some quality control issues.

That's another thing I do like about the Sawyer, there's no moving parts or pieces that can really fail other than the filter clogging up, which you can then just backwash. Also it's like :20bux:

talktapes fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 30, 2015

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

talktapes posted:

I use one with one of those plastic Platypus water bags. It works great, is cheap, and is easy to maintain, however it does take a substantial amount of time to actually use it. I generally go out with a couple of Nalgene bottles and it can take 20 mins or more to fill them up, definitely best as a personal filter. However you'll find slowness with any filtration system (including gravity systems, which you don't have to babysit at least), and you can drink the water immediately which is a huge plus.

Think I saw someone a few pages ago talking about the Katadyn pump filter, a little late but to throw in my $.02, really not a fan of those things. They seem nice but one completely failed on a camping trip I took with some friends a few years ago, my buddy owned it for less than a year and took it out on less than 10 trips, it literally just fell apart while he was using it and we couldn't get it to hold together again. If you look at long term reviews it seems like a more common problem than it should be.

With the Sawyer I usually carry an extra ziplock bag or two so I can scoop up water from a shallower or slower moving source (that would normally be difficult to retrieve water from with a dedicated filtration bag), and dump the dirty water into the Platypus to filter it.

Since you brought up Katadyn filters, I figured I'd mention how much I am a fan of my Hiker Pro. Mine has held up great for several years and it saved my Grand Canyon hike. I also like the fact that it breaks down to the size of a water bottle so I can put it in one of the shoulder water bottle holders on the front of my fast pack. One bottle and the Katadyn and I'm good to go the distance.

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

As soon as I got the sawyer and set it up as a gravity filter I stopped using my old pump filter (MSR miniworks). The MSR worked fine but it's so much easier to just let gravity do the work. I used an old solar shower for my dirty water bag and hanging it up high gives me a stream of clean water on-demand. Besides drinking and cooking it also makes washing or rinsing dishes much easier.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I dont use one. But I know they can be difficult in the winter, much like any filter. I have used drops for a long time, or bleach.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
Got myself my first hiking boots yesterday and I'm seem to be having some issue with rubbing on both feets a bit above my "big toe". Would u guess this will give in with time or should i return the shoes to store?

These are the shoes http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/hikingbackpacking/thunder-iii-gtx

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

fritzov posted:

Got myself my first hiking boots yesterday and I'm seem to be having some issue with rubbing on both feets a bit above my "big toe". Would u guess this will give in with time or should i return the shoes to store?

These are the shoes http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/hikingbackpacking/thunder-iii-gtx

It depends what you mean by "above your big toe". Do you mean at the tip of your toe? Hiking boots will break in a bit, but if they don't fit properly I'd try a different size.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

Sorry, I had it backwards. Bacteria can regrow in darkness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection#Cautions

You had it right the first time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photolyase

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

Tsyni posted:

It depends what you mean by "above your big toe". Do you mean at the tip of your toe? Hiking boots will break in a bit, but if they don't fit properly I'd try a different size.

its down by the "start" of the toe on both feet it seems to been rubbing. Had them on inside for 2 hours tonight and the area that is rubbing ended up all red and irritated. I guess its back to the store with them in the morning.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My pack's at a base weight just under 10kg, and I'm still unable to leave my Kindle at home. I've turned into one of those people who buys ultralight poo poo just so I can bring the kitchen sink along.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My pack's at a base weight just under 10kg, and I'm still unable to leave my Kindle at home. I've turned into one of those people who buys ultralight poo poo just so I can bring the kitchen sink along.

I do this but with alcohol so at least I'm only packing the extra weight *in* :v:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I do this but with alcohol so at least I'm only packing the extra weight *in* :v:

Same, always in a lightweight plastic bottle like an empty juice bottle or something :beerpal:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
It's called weed, folks.

The ultralight intoxicant of choice.

Light as gently caress and still high as gently caress.

:350: :420: Hike & Smoke Weed Erryday :420: :350:

I mean you can hike all you want and smoke weed to your hearts content more or less from the rockies west.. LEGALLY! And if we're having real talk it's not like anyone gives a gently caress In the backcountry parts of the U.S. where there's hiking trails but not outright legalization. Just don't be a retard.

Standard YMMV disclaimers apply, of course. But it's hard to beat weed in weight/intoxication ratio. And it's not like you gotta drive around with it, or carry a lot. That poo poo is EVERYWHERE on the AT.. You don't have to risk bringing poo poo with you, there's plenty of it all along the trail. Especially anywhere people congregate.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Actually, I believe you'll find crack has the highest getting hosed up to weight ratio.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Powdered alcohol is hitting the shelves this summer and is specifically designed for backcountry use

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Powdered alcohol is hitting the shelves this summer and is specifically designed for backcountry use

Pats backcountry beverages beer concentrate is actually pretty delicious. I've only had the
Pail Rail but as LNG as you do it correctly and don't skimp on the shaking to carbonate the beer then it's great.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Speleothing posted:

However, it is heavier than liquid alcohol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtNQ8vCv78E

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What happens if you just snort it

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Coke might be better suited for that purpose.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
to quote Donovan:

quote:

...the natural high is the best high in the world.
Ah, natural high best high in the world.

I really love being completely in the moment when out in the mountains because it's the best I've ever loving felt in my life and I want to experience that with my full mental faculties :shobon:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

^^^ I'd decant it into a zip lock, but realistically a plastic bottle of Maker's is still better.

mastershakeman posted:

You get two nosebleeds before a buzz. It's like half an ounce of powder per shot.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
that all said I got a lightweight softbody plastic "flask" that I'm using on my next trip. Probably not something I'd take on a long trip but 2-3 nights? Sure why not. Load that sucker up with some nice bourbon or scotch. it only gets lighter, right

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
The real ultralight trick is to use Everclear as stove fuel and then make "hiker cocktails".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have yet to use Everclear for fuel but I have taken it for drinks. Build a little berm in a glacial runoff stream to keep it chilled, it's so perfect.

I do quite enjoy putting white gas in empty mickeys though. We just draw a skull and crossbones on it to makes sure we don't accidentally drink it.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Keldoclock posted:

The real ultralight trick is to use Everclear as stove fuel and then make "hiker cocktails".

...does it burn well?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Thoren posted:

...does it burn well?

Considering it's 95% alcohol, I would assume so.

I guess you could also get Spirytus Rektyfikowany if you're really concerned, it's 96%!

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 2, 2015

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
Planning on camping along the shore this Memorial Day weekend. Has anyone used MSR Groundhogs in sand? I'm wondering if they would be enough or if I need to purchase snow/sand anchors.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

CheshireCat posted:

Planning on camping along the shore this Memorial Day weekend. Has anyone used MSR Groundhogs in sand? I'm wondering if they would be enough or if I need to purchase snow/sand anchors.

I saw where REI had something like groundhogs but they were spiral and longer. Those might hold better? No idea.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

CheshireCat posted:

I used them without a problem in NW Washington on the coast in sand. It was wet, slightly hard sand, though. If there are rocks around to drop on top of the stakes, you'd be fine with groundhogs.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
What do you all think of self inflating thermarest pads? I use a zlite pad now and I want something with a higher R value for cold weather.

I don't think I want to get a neoair style foamless pad. Too scared of leaks.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

turevidar posted:

What do you all think of self inflating thermarest pads? I use a zlite pad now and I want something with a higher R value for cold weather.

I don't think I want to get a neoair style foamless pad. Too scared of leaks.
Get one. Thermarest prolite or equivalent.

Ggggeeeetttttttttttttt ooooonnnnnnneeeeeee.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Trip report from Saturday (images are linked thumbnails to bigger ones):

Mount Rainier National Park officially started "summer season" on May 1st, which means they open more roads and some previously difficult to access trails. I headed up for a snowshoe climb of Banshee Peak by way of Summerland, one of the more famous campsites on the Wonderland Trail (which encircles Mt. Rainier)

Summerland's fame comes from late July and August, when it is an amazing alpine meadow that looks like this:

I needed the snowshoes because yesterday it looked like this (You can recognize that Meany Crest in this photo is also in the first summer Summerland photo):

The guidebooks say that Banshee Peak is 15 miles round-trip and 3600 ft elevation gain from the trailhead to the summit at 7404 feet. It was a little longer for me - with everything covered with 2-10 feet of snow, I lost the trail a couple times, had to take detours to avoid avalanche areas, and generally had a harder time of it. With snowshoeing being harder than walking a dry trail, I was 10 hours from car to car - a strenuous day.

Looking up at the objective from the road, about 100 feet from the trailhead:

Some views of Banshee Peak and Point 6945 from the trail:

The trail started fairly snow-free, but I had to put on the snowshoes about 2.5 miles in. The trail to Summerland kind of vanished in the snow, so I ended up climbing pretty much straight up the very steep hill instead of finding the switchback trail I was looking for under the snow.

Summerland:

Above Summerland, there was hardly any sign of human activity. There was one boot path heading off in another direction for a different peak, and someone left some telemarking tracks right around Summerland, but I never saw any actual people above Summerland.

I was out pretty early in the morning, when it was still relatively cool, but it was clear there was already some avalanche danger on some southeast faces, I tried to stay away:

Getting to Point 6945 on the way to Banshee was relatively straightforward. Looking back down at Summerland from that peak:

Mount Rainier was, of course, spectacular. I have to imagine quite a few people summitted on a day like today. This is the Emmons glacier side of the mountain:

You could see far up the valley to the north:

And there were thousands of ladybugs on the rock at the summit, which seemed odd:

I headed off for the higher Banshee Peak - the rock prow you see in the center of the photo (looking back at on my way out, hence the tracks):

I had to cross a hairy avalanche gully but made it okay. The view from Banshee was remarkable:

The Cowlitz Chimneys are the next formation along if I were to continue - I didn't, I was tired enough as is after hours of snowshoeing, and didn't have the necessary rock climbing gear or partner:

With that I headed back down and bathed in the amazing alpine terrain:

Once I got back down to Summerland, I was able to follow telemark guy's tracks to the trail rather than having to downclimb that hill. The way down wasn't much better actually, it followed a river that was eating out the snow, very warm and wet and melty. It made for a hairy descent. Legs were aching when I got back to the car, but it was a remarkable place to be.

As a millennial, I am legally required to selfie everything I do:

This was intended to be kind of a practice run for a snowshoe of Mount Saint Helens I have planned for next Saturday - if weather cooperates, I think that will be an even more grueling and rewarding climb. Now the day after, my legs are aching pretty badly and I got a bit of a burn on my neck despite trying diligently with the sunscreen, but it was a drat fun way to spend a Saturday!

Gearwise, the MSR Revo Ascent Snowshoes were really good for snow climbing. They worked okay as just regular snowshoes, though I think I'm going to invest in the snap-on tail addition to add a little more float, but they shined when going up hill. If you just pointed your feet uphill and went, the crampons worked well and the heel lift was a huge energy saver. They weren't as good if you were traversing a slope rather than going straight up, so I found myself crabwalking sidewalks on all fours more often than I'd like, particularly on steep slopes. Still, the fact that I could get across the slope at all spoke to the traction of the snowshoe. I kind of beat up the plastic in the toe a little kicking steps in some of those slopes, but the manufacturers claim that's okay since the toe is reinforced with steel. The damage is only cosmetic at this point (really just scratching), I hope it stays that way. I would highly recommend these snowshoes if you want to snowshoe up peaks - the extra bells and whistles like the heel lift (essential in my book), the crampons and the stronger toe really made a difference on a slope.

Anyways, 15 miles of snowshoeing over 10 hours was quite a day, and it was a blast to do it in a place as beautiful as Mount Rainier National Park covered in snow!

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I wish the Revo ascents had the normal Evo binding. They have great traction but the front binding is chewing on my little toe after 2 hours.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I figured solo backpacking would be too boring or lonely, and I was happy to be proven wrong! I wandered around Henry Coe park for an overnight trip this weekend, and really enjoyed myself. I didn't see anyone else in the park at all for 24 hours and I got to enjoy the solitude. It was a little lonely after dinner, with only a huge swarm of ants to keep me company, but camp downtime is always a little dull. And a 1- or 2-night trip seems like a really good length if you want to get out in the backcountry but not totally trash your body.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm in denver for 2 days, never been to Colorado before, experienced Appalachia hiker. If i can borrow a car and only have time to do one afternoon hike tomorrow, what should it be? I've heard garden of the gods is good.

How should i interpret weather statements? I know the sky works a lot differently here but i don't know how so.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

alnilam posted:

I'm in denver for 2 days, never been to Colorado before, experienced Appalachia hiker. If i can borrow a car and only have time to do one afternoon hike tomorrow, what should it be? I've heard garden of the gods is good.

How should i interpret weather statements? I know the sky works a lot differently here but i don't know how so.

If you have a car and the entire day go to RMNP and hike wild basin. If you don't want to leave the metroplex I like Roxborough Park

http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Roxborough

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
It turns out that hiking in early May is kinda brutal. The sun is as intense as it is in August, and there's no shade. And if, say, you greatly underestimate your water needs because you're still in a winter hike mindset, and don't bother to pack sunscreen, well, it sucks.

Today I hiked in the Black Rock Forest in the Hudson Highlands (NY). I had to cut it short because I'd drank more than half of my water before I topped the second big hill, and one of my arms is brick red. It was a pretty outing, though.

Canadian serviceberry, I think?

It's been a while since I've had a good rock scramble.

The view from Black Rock.

The Hudson from Black Rock.

The view from Mount Misery.

Atop Hill of Pines.

Sphagnum Pond.

Sutherland Pond from Split Rock.

A last view toward Schunemunk and the Shawangunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

OK, here's a tangentially hiking related question. Part of the reason I enjoy hiking so much is the picture taking opportunities. This year I'm taking the leap and buying a mid-level DSLR, especially after discovering last weekend that my new phone crashes very easily in moderately cold and windy weather. Don't need any camera purchasing advice, but there must be some people that own them in this thread - what are some carrying techniques to use? It seems like just keeping your camera in your backpack is a huge pain whenever you need to get it out to take a picture, and there isn't a ton of info on how to hike with them online. I did find some people recommending the Cotton Carrier which looks like it might fit the bill, but is also somewhat expensive.

Also I am aware of the space and weight savings of mirrorless cameras compared to DSLRs but those seem a bit out of my price range.