Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

What a loving bummer. I watched the Bulls-Thunder game when he came back and you could tell everyone was happy to see him back. Bulls gave him a black and red plaid jacket to welcome him back too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Lou Holtz is finally gone

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/04/12/charles-barkley-sxsw-masters-espn-lou-holtz?page=2&devicetype=default

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MMreEzkwBI

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My personal favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaEvgK6dxQQ

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Awesome piece by Bryan Curtis of Grantland on Dallas sports anchor Dale Hansen.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I actually find that article to be terribly written. A bit aimless and all over the place, but the content is gold.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I really expected this to be a link to an obituary

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Awesome piece by Bryan Curtis of Grantland on Dallas sports anchor Dale Hansen.

New to Dallas, but everyone loves Dale here, at least that I've met.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dll8eMJnTEE

You heard it here first folks. Cowherd is too good to cover video games on tv.

Except you know, he's not. Has he SEEN some of the stuff that the likes of Jim McKay, Al Michaels, Howard Cossell, Dick Stockton, and co used to have to cover back in the day for ABC, CBS, and NBC? Those are some people with some actual talent in the world of Sports Broadcasting. They got stuck some with some really WEIRD events back in the day.

Cowherd is just some really boring 3rd rate Jim Rome clone that ESPN found off the street and gave a job to.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dll8eMJnTEE

You heard it here first folks. Cowherd is too good to cover video games on tv.

Except you know, he's not. Has he SEEN some of the stuff that the likes of Jim McKay, Al Michaels, Howard Cossell, Dick Stockton, and co used to have to cover back in the day for ABC, CBS, and NBC? Those are some people with some actual talent in the world of Sports Broadcasting. They got stuck some with some really WEIRD events back in the day.

Cowherd is just some really boring 3rd rate Jim Rome clone that ESPN found off the street and gave a job to.

Are you coming at this from the angle of defending ESPN's video game coverage or are you finding any reason to bash Cowherd? Genuinely curious.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Colin Cowherd freaking sucks that is my opinion

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Muddy Burphy posted:

Are you coming at this from the angle of defending ESPN's video game coverage or are you finding any reason to bash Cowherd? Genuinely curious.

I have zero interest in watching other people play video games, but damned if I wouldn't absolutely love to watch ESPN's A team have to cover League of Legends or some poo poo. Gruden and Tirico doing play by play of a Starcraft match would be priceless.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Colin Cowherd and Jim Rome's similarities end at them being sports radio hosts. Their schticks are completely different. Jim Rome finds things to poke fun at in the sports or pop culture world and does so ad naseum. Colin Cowherd is just a troll that says poo poo he knows will get people riled up.

You either love Rome or you hate him. I don't know a single sole that likes Cowherd.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Muddy Burphy posted:

I think both.

I was wrong in trashing the coverage/promotion of cricket earlier. I think ESPN is very much doing it's job by finding new things to cover, and then to see what sticks really. poo poo it wasn't like there was really anything else on at the time, and it was going against playoff hockey and playoff basketball, so why the hell not? It generated buzz on twitter, and the response was more so humorous rather than "GRRRR THIS SUCKS! OFF MY TV!".

Cowherd is a dipshit though. Acting like he's too good to call something like that when there's been people in his field with infinitely more talent than him have called far weirder events wreaks of being a douche bag.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I have zero interest in watching other people play video games, but damned if I wouldn't absolutely love to watch ESPN's A team have to cover League of Legends or some poo poo. Gruden and Tirico doing play by play of a Starcraft match would be priceless.

I watch the Hot Dog eating contest every year because Paul Page calls it. It's so absurd to hear his voice doing it, but fun none the less.

Mahoning posted:

Colin Cowherd and Jim Rome's similarities end at them being sports radio hosts. Their schticks are completely different. Jim Rome finds things to poke fun at in the sports or pop culture world and does so ad naseum. Colin Cowherd is just a troll that says poo poo he knows will get people riled up.

You either love Rome or you hate him. I don't know a single sole that likes Cowherd.

Rome is very good at interviewing, and I do believe he has talent.

I mention Cowherd being a clone of his because he's indeed trying to pretty much emulate Rome, but he just fails so much at it. Also, Rome doesn't so vaguely Racist poo poo all the time, and doesn't seem to tolerate people calling in making dumb discriminatory jokes.

Cowherd? The John Wall rant was completely uncalled for.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
ESPN2 has always aired weird poo poo and regular ESPN devoted so much air time to fat nerds in sunglasses playing cards that SAS used to have a subforum for it. I don't know why people are treating some goofy video game thing like it's new.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 27, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

ESPN2 has always aired weird poo poo and regular ESPN devoted so much air time to fat nerds in sunglasses playing cards that SAS used to have a subforum for it. I don't know why people are treating some goofy video game thing like it's new.
Yeah, back in the day ESPN2 actually showed Magic: The Gathering tournaments.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I would pay any amount of money to listen to Jon Gruden do color commentary for Magic: the Gathering.

"Now this guy Kai Budde, his name sounds like 'buddy', but he's not trying to be anyone's friend with the way he's throwing those Grim Monoliths around!"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They have aired poker, darts, pool, driving in cars, golf, bowling, people riding in a bus playing madden, dogs jumping, people riding horses, people throwing logs, magic the gathering, soccer, scrabble, people eating lots of hot dogs, and a loving spelling bee. They air lots of things that are not strictly speaking sports, and the world hasn't ended yet. They have a lot of hours to fill, and at least it's not Skip Bayless Yelling. Chill the heck out, internet.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

The goofy video game things also draw like hundreds of thousands of viewers on Twitch and whatnot.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

They have a lot of hours to fill, and at least it's not Skip Bayless Yelling. Chill the heck out, internet.

Seriously, give me all the weird sports, games, and activities you have over ESPN debate and analysis.

I watched a bunch of darts a few months ago and it owned

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mornacale posted:

I would pay any amount of money to listen to Jon Gruden do color commentary for Magic: the Gathering.

"Now this guy Kai Budde, his name sounds like 'buddy', but he's not trying to be anyone's friend with the way he's throwing those Grim Monoliths around!"

WWE got Gruden to analyze and handicap their Wrestlemania Battle Royale on the preshow this year.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

WWE got Gruden to analyze and handicap their Wrestlemania Battle Royale on the preshow this year.

Gruden is this generation's Dick Vermeil. He's actually very good at what he does. I actually dig the enthusiasm.

He's at his best calling College Football IMO.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I think it's cool that ESPN airs a bunch of weird stuff, but sometimes taking the piss out of it is the fun part.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

They have aired poker, darts, pool, driving in cars, golf, bowling, people riding in a bus playing madden, dogs jumping, people riding horses, people throwing logs, magic the gathering, soccer, scrabble, people eating lots of hot dogs, and a loving spelling bee. They air lots of things that are not strictly speaking sports, and the world hasn't ended yet. They have a lot of hours to fill, and at least it's not Skip Bayless Yelling. Chill the heck out, internet.

Exactly. My love for 1990s ESPN 2 isn't because they had Important Sports Personalities letting me know which sports I should care about. It's because they had Aussie Rules Football and Lumberjack Games and World's Strongest Man and loving trickshot pool that they made into an event somehow.

Please give me all the weird sports and games. The less desks and studio mics I see, and the more insane competitions they show, the happier I'll be.

e: seriously watch this dumb poo poo and not Cowherd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN6dhpUMVTc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ycSMrDN5c

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 28, 2015

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bet modern Sportsnight would just be VIRAL VIDEOS and tweets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSS1ljVxxsE

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gary Thorne went into Masters Mode to acknowledge the awkward crowd-less silence at the Orioles game today.

Come back to hockey Gary, I miss you :smith:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The E:60 piece on Ernie Johnson this week was incredible. If you haven't seen it, ESPN 2 is re-airing it at some ungodly hour this week and maybe you can DVR it.

Trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OboOBJy2xHY

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Badfinger posted:

Exactly. My love for 1990s ESPN 2 isn't because they had Important Sports Personalities letting me know which sports I should care about. It's because they had Aussie Rules Football and Lumberjack Games and World's Strongest Man and loving trickshot pool that they made into an event somehow.

Please give me all the weird sports and games. The less desks and studio mics I see, and the more insane competitions they show, the happier I'll be.

e: seriously watch this dumb poo poo and not Cowherd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN6dhpUMVTc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ycSMrDN5c
Every time trick shot pool is on the TV I take some time out to watch it because some of the poo poo they do is absolutely obscene

WHAT I'M GONNA DO HERE IS MASSE SIX BALLS INTO THE CORNER POCKET USING A BRIDGE AND A CARD TABLE LEG AND I'LL BE BLINDFOLDED AND I'M GONNA SHOOT BEHIND MY BACK

*makes it on the first try*

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 30, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Speaking of the video game coverage.

https://twitter.com/BillWalton/status/592560243692863490

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I will never understand watching people play video games because for my generation that was rear end in a top hat poo poo your buddy pulled when he didn't want to share his Nintendo. Good for them for branching out, though.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've been wondering this for like 20 years. When somebody puts crazy spin on a billiards ball..

Is it: "Mass-ee" or "Mah-say" ?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Hockles posted:

I've been wondering this for like 20 years. When somebody puts crazy spin on a billiards ball..

Is it: "Mass-ee" or "Mah-say" ?

Same pronunciation as the last syllable in "melee".

It's a long "A"

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I legitimately don't know why people draw a line between watching something like NASCAR or video games in terms of whether ESPN should cover it. Both involve no athleticism by the participants, just hand-eye coordination, reflexes, strategy etc. In one event a person controls a car, in the other a person controls an avatar. You have to be a special type of insufferable to complain about video games but simultaneously be okay with poker and NASCAR and bowling and even the spelling bee.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Either way, the show was a ratings bust so that's probably the end of that experiment.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So It Goes posted:

I legitimately don't know why people draw a line between watching something like NASCAR or video games in terms of whether ESPN should cover it. Both involve no athleticism by the participants, just hand-eye coordination, reflexes, strategy etc. In one event a person controls a car, in the other a person controls an avatar. You have to be a special type of insufferable to complain about video games but simultaneously be okay with poker and NASCAR and bowling and even the spelling bee.

What? NASCAR is an endurance sport.

quote:

The ESPN report showed that Hamlin’s car was 130 degrees throughout the race, that he sweated 3.5 pints of perspiration an hour, lost 13 pounds of water weight during that event and that his neck supports g-forces of 40 pounds in the turns—in a 400-lap race, that’s 800 40-pound reps with his neck. His heart rate was 130 for the event, which is comparable to an endurance runner except that the Coke 600 lasts twice as long as a marathon would.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2013-11-19/are-nascar-drivers-athletes-donovan-mcnabb-jimmie-johnson-fox-workouts

I don't even like any kind of racing, but to call it not athletic is outright inaccurate.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Benne posted:

Either way, the show was a ratings bust so that's probably the end of that experiment.

I'd have probably tuned in if I had known it was happening. I saw on twitter that ESPN was doing a video games thing and I went to their streaming service because I assumed it would be there.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If G4 hadn't withered and died out they'd be the perfect home for televised game events (I'm not calling it loving "esports").

But really, is there any real audience in that field that Youtube and Twitch aren't covering already?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Benne posted:

Well of course it was a bust, it didn't have Stephen A Smith talking over it, he's ratings gold.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Benne posted:

If G4 hadn't withered and died out they'd be the perfect home for televised game events (I'm not calling it loving "esports").

But really, is there any real audience in that field that Youtube and Twitch aren't covering already?

Just you wait. You're gonna go home for Thanksgiving and your dad is gonna be screaming at League of Legends and talking about the latest balance patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
@MichelleDBeadle
I, along with @Rachel__Nichols, have been banned from the MGM Grand Arena for the fight tonight by the Mayweather camp. #TheFightGame