Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I do hope the NATS realise the Tories WILL put Scotland through hell if they get back in. The SNP will not be enough to protect them. We will all suffer together <3.

What could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

We will all suffer together

Indyref 2 just got metal :kheldragar:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Prince John posted:

An interesting article about how adopting AV would have affected the last election.

Tl;dr - not much difference, might have boosted smaller parties, might have led to a straight Tory majority based on UKIP voters' 2nd preference votes.

I think UKIP would get a boost in first choice votes if people who normally vote Tory felt safe to put them as their 2nd pick instead.

We would probably still be in a huge clusterfuck of an election though.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Pesmerga posted:

The lesser of two evils in this case seems like the best approach. :smith::respek::smith:

Yep but Julian Huppert in Cambridge is a genuinely good MP and it feels wrong to vote him out of parliament - I think people like him are sorely needed in the House of Commons.

I remain as conflicted as ever.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Found out today that my boss is one of those Freeman on the land types.

Apparently there is no signed contract between our individual selves and the government and thus no laws apply to him.

Apparently during your "berth" the government take your soul through the soles of your feet, which is the reason for children having their feet printed.

I really really look forward to the next few weeks as he is becoming more and more open and vocal about it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tsietisin posted:

Apparently there is no signed contract between our individual selves and the government and thus no laws apply to him.

Apparently during your "berth" the government take your soul through the soles of your feet, which is the reason for children having their feet printed.

I really really look forward to the next few weeks as he is becoming more and more open and vocal about it.

Christ, sounds like he's having a schizophrenic episode or something. Poor guy :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Whitefish posted:

Yep but Julian Huppert in Cambridge is a genuinely good MP and it feels wrong to vote him out of parliament - I think people like him are sorely needed in the House of Commons

Sort of. He voted for a lot of really really bad stuff (what's the figure the Cambridge Labour candidate pulled out? Voted with IDS 94% of the time?)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tsietisin posted:

These people are great and fantastic sources of comedy. You should use his arguments against him and just refuse to do anything he asks since he has no power over you as the contract you signed was not between your individual self and the company but instead with your facade self as appointed by the government, and you do not recognise that self etc etc

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Or they're mentally ill and not sources of comedy at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thehustler posted:

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thehustler posted:

Or they have been poo poo on by the government/society in general and are looking for any out, no matter how ridiculous it may sound (See the number of poor black sovereign citizens in the US).

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Strangely he doesn't seem to be a person who has been shat on by the government, instead he wants them to arrest him or fine him so that he can use his sovereign citizen status in court.

Edit: posting on a mobile phone introduces spelling errors.

Tsietisin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tsietisin posted:

Strangely he doesn't seem to be a person who has been shady on by the government, instead he wants them to arrest him our fine him do that he can use his sovereign citizen status in court.

Does he think that judges are like computers and he can short them out by entering an out of bounds parameter or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tsietisin posted:

Strangely he doesn't seem to be a person who has been shady on by the government, instead he wants them to arrest him our fine him do that he can use his sovereign citizen status in court.
Those ones are usually amusing, but there are a lot of scammers who make money selling the sovereign citizen thing to people who genuinely feel they have no way to redress grievances against the government, and are often right. :smith:

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sort of. He voted for a lot of really really bad stuff (what's the figure the Cambridge Labour candidate pulled out? Voted with IDS 94% of the time?)

It's true - but I'm assuming that any Labour or Lib Dem MP for Cambridge would end up voting for some really really stuff. So the issue is the net 'goodness' of Huppert as against the net goodness of his Labour opponent.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

Does he think that judges are like computers and he can short them out by entering an out of bounds parameter or something?

He's in for a shock. The magistrates blog I read had this to say: "These nutters are no threat to a court with a determined and experienced chairman and a solid clerk."

Is he actually mentally ill, or just a complete idiot? I'm guessing from the fact he's in a managerial position that he doesn't count as one of the oppressed masses.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

I think he is just an idiot.

I think he wants me to sign up for his newsletter. Seriously. So that I too can learn the truth.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I always admire the ambition of Freemen for saying "it's not me that's wrong, it's the entire legal system"

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

I think he wants me to sign up for his newsletter. Seriously. So that I too can learn the truth.

Maybe he'll shower a fellow freeman in gold. If nothing else, you can post the comedy bits here.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Tsietisin posted:

As long as he's mentally sound, sell him bits of the moon and a Scottish lairdship.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
The Economist endorses David Cameron.

Is this lights out for Labour?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Supreme Court posted:

I always admire the ambition of Freemen for saying "it's not me that's wrong, it's the entire legal system"
And even if they were right, it fails the core test of actually being able to do something about it. "The entire system is corrupt and yet it still has to respect my instructions now that I know the secret code."
At least the people agitating for workers' revolution or blowing up government buildings were doing something, rather than appealing to some sense of universal objective right that the whole system has to bend around when you state it out loud.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Sandi Toksvig is going into politics, apparently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02q9yrq

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Angepain posted:

Sandi Toksvig is going into politics, apparently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02q9yrq

Bloody immigrants, coming here, taking our jobs.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Angepain posted:

She didn't host the last few episodes because she was :airquote:sick.:airquote:

Seems like she used her time off to plot a takeover!

Honestly though, it's not the same without her. Hardy gets way too loving grim and hand wringy on his own.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
SNP's proposed Trident replacement looking cost effective...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ugh, The Economist's reasons for backing the Tories. "Free market, small state". Jog on.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Despite their socially liberal pretensions, the economist has always been primarily about free market fundamentalism. They could bring themselves to back Blair on that score, but they were never going to back Miliband over Cameron. But I guess you were being sarcastic and that was your point and now I feel dumb.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

The New Black posted:

Despite their socially liberal pretensions, the economist has always been primarily about free market fundamentalism. They could bring themselves to back Blair on that score, but they were never going to back Miliband over Cameron. But I guess you were being sarcastic and that was your point and now I feel dumb.

Show me on this doll where the invisible hand touched you.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Show me on this doll where the invisible hand touched you.

Brilliant!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The New Black posted:

The funniest part is they spend the whole article criticising the Tories and then go all - Labour has much better plans but we don't trust them to deliver on it, based on their historical record. Especially when new labour was more "liberal" and "radical-center" than they ever promised, so what historical record they are talking about :confused:

It's pretty obvious they aren't being entirely honest, especially when a lot of the justifications they offer in the article (The rich will leave! Entrepreneurialism will be limited! Trickle down economics!) they've refuted themselves elsewhere.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why does Ed Milliband look like a muppet?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

SNP's proposed Trident replacement looking cost effective...

If we can get a Death Star for only a billion quid I say go for it!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

I wouldn't say so. They tend to just be libertarians mixed with jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams!!

They tend to be more well known in America though because of the whole guns thing. Sovereign citizens are listed as terrorists in the US and a bigger threat to communities than Islamic terrorists and jihadists in America. http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2010/april/sovereigncitizens_041310

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebt0l8s3aMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLY9EbDmzY

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 30, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Well, paranoia, conspiracy, etc. Those kind of things can go with freeman types and is a sign of a lack of critical thinking skills and logic and probably all sorts of things. *

* not a psychologist.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Maybe he's just a massive loving dickhead.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
The Greens have come up with a novel idea to raise their public profile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISY8hFVPVI

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe he's just a massive loving dickhead.

I think you've cracked it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Private Speech posted:

"radical-center"

lol what is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Private Speech posted:

The funniest part is they spend the whole article criticising the Tories and then go all - Labour has much better plans but we don't trust them to deliver on it, based on their historical record. Especially when new labour was more "liberal" and "radical-center" than they ever promised, so what historical record they are talking about :confused:

It's pretty obvious they aren't being entirely honest, especially when a lot of the justifications they offer in the article (The rich will leave! Entrepreneurialism will be limited! Trickle down economics!) they've refuted themselves elsewhere.

It's an ongoing paradox that when you read the Economist it seems to be mostly articles about market failure and advocating government intervention despite their claimed libertarianism.

• Locked thread