Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The movie didn't have nearly enough flying microwaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Unmature posted:

In many ways Daredevil is one of the most comics accurate movie adaptations ever. Say what you will, but that movie had tons of respect for the material. More than Man of Steel that's for drat sure.

Nah actually Man of Steel is pretty faithful to Superman's overarching theme.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

I assume that this has been discussed half a dozen times already but what exactly was Fisk's overarching motivation? Was it seriously just to build some condos? What exactly was his plan for a better tomorrow and saving the city and all that? It felt like every single episode an antagonist would say to Murdock "man you idiot you really have no idea what's going on here" but by the end I feel like I never got any clarity as to what Fisk was actually trying to do. I'm not saying every superhero story needs a villain who's trying to take over the world but if his grand plan was just building some high-rises then the rhetoric is a little bizarre.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

His plan is kind of the same as Lex Luthor's in Superman.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

computer parts posted:

Flying dicks?

Unmerciful posted:

I assume that this has been discussed half a dozen times already but what exactly was Fisk's overarching motivation?

gently caress the poor and the terrible neighborhood they build around them, burn that poo poo to the ground and move in some low crime yuppies. Stopping Fisk just leaves a terrible neighbor that breeds poo poo people and crime. From his perspective, who does that really help in the end?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Couldn't Phillipe be being courted for Bullseye?

I don't think he'd be very good at it:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Unmerciful posted:

I assume that this has been discussed half a dozen times already but what exactly was Fisk's overarching motivation? Was it seriously just to build some condos? What exactly was his plan for a better tomorrow and saving the city and all that? It felt like every single episode an antagonist would say to Murdock "man you idiot you really have no idea what's going on here" but by the end I feel like I never got any clarity as to what Fisk was actually trying to do. I'm not saying every superhero story needs a villain who's trying to take over the world but if his grand plan was just building some high-rises then the rhetoric is a little bizarre.

A lot of politicians make those kinds of speeches, where they want to clean up the city, and this usually means gentrification. It does work to lower crime rates and improve property values if you just have a ton of condos nobody's using and CCTV cameras everywhere, but everyone else kinda gets the shaft, including local businesses. On the other hand, as Rosario Dawson pointed out in an interview recently, the New York she grew up in involved actual danger. You didn't want to walk around those streets at night. She used to carry around pepper spray for real.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Unmerciful posted:

I thought they handled things really poorly with Fisk. I really thought he was going to get away at the end of the season and become the actual Kingpin. I don't think he ever truly won at any point, and they'd kind of do some random ham-fisted approaches to show that he was in charge, and then almost the very next scene would show he wasn't.

As mentioned earlier as well, his evil plan of tearing down the shithole slums was kind of dumb. Atleast try to run the angle that it was to gain control of some valuable [whatever] and be evil with it bit.

Harry fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 30, 2015

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

A lot of politicians make those kinds of speeches, where they want to clean up the city, and this usually means gentrification. It does work to lower crime rates and improve property values if you just have a ton of condos nobody's using and CCTV cameras everywhere, but everyone else kinda gets the shaft, including local businesses. On the other hand, as Rosario Dawson pointed out in an interview recently, the New York she grew up in involved actual danger. You didn't want to walk around those streets at night. She used to carry around pepper spray for real.

Yes except he had no problem allying with ancient evil ninjas and heroin suppliers and the Russian mob and murdering little old ladies and cops and countless others which to me would suggest larger goals than gentrifying the neighborhood.

I think some of the cast/crew compared the show to The Wire so maybe that really is what they were going for which is funny because then they basically did a ridiculously sensationalized and fun version of a pretty mundane and depressing story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Unmerciful posted:

Yes except he had no problem allying with ancient evil ninjas and heroin suppliers and the Russian mob and murdering little old ladies and cops and countless others which to me would suggest larger goals than gentrifying the neighborhood.

The ninjas just wanted a couple buildings to make their ninja hideout I think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

surc posted:

I don't think he'd be very good at it:

I don't get it.

The only thing I've seen Ryan Phillipe in is Way of the Gun, and based on that performance he will be awesome.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

greatn posted:

Yeah,

"Is this a date?"
"You know what I think it is. Now could you close your eyes and touch my face so I can pretend you're actually Matt?"

was the one time I was like "fuuuuuuuck yooouuuuu Karen"
My "gently caress you Karen" moment was when Elena asked, "where is your handsome lawyer friend?" and Karen immediately goes, "Matt?"

And Elena's all, "No - FOGGY."

Karen: "Oh."

Karen should have seriously known better since she and Foggy did just spend SEVERAL HOURS fixing Elena's house and getting jabbed with exploding debris, while all Matt did was talk to Elena in Spanish that one time, for about twenty seconds. COME ON, KAREN.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I like how everyone has their own gently caress You Karen moments

Unmature
May 9, 2008

computer parts posted:

There are people on the internet who really believe this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AnimeJune posted:

My "gently caress you Karen" moment was when Elena asked, "where is your handsome lawyer friend?" and Karen immediately goes, "Matt?"

And Elena's all, "No - FOGGY."

Karen: "Oh."

Karen should have seriously known better since she and Foggy did just spend SEVERAL HOURS fixing Elena's house and getting jabbed with exploding debris, while all Matt did was talk to Elena in Spanish that one time, for about twenty seconds. COME ON, KAREN.

She said handsome. That's hardly Karen's fault for not realizing she's crazy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Unmature posted:

They're called "people who pay attention to movies". A rare and strange breed, but they're out there.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I heard mixed reports about Gao's Mandarin earlier in the thread, can anyone weigh in? And on the Russians' Russian? They sounded good enough to me but then again I don't know the languages so that judgment is made purely on the cadence and inflection and such.

The Russians' Russian is weird. With the notable exception of Gideon Emery they are mostly played by (semi-)native speakers, thus their accents and cadences range from ok to top notch (to be fair to Mr. Emery, while he couldn't master proper pronunciation, his is by far the most intelligible English speaker's Russian that I've had the pleasure to hear). But despite this fact, the lines themselves are... ridiculous. My best guess is that they outsourced the translation to a)non-native speakers and b)the translators were given only the lines themselves, with little to no explanatory context. So listening to the Russians is pretty cringeworthy. Wrong prepositions, wrong verb aspects, stilted lines that are obvious word-for-word translations of the subtitles. Oh, and then they suddenly and adorably use a curseword or two that are perfectly placed, pronounced and enunciated. I'm temped to guess the actors were supplying those.

AnonSpore posted:

Does anyone know what the song was that the blind Chinese transporter in the taxi was singing? The one where the Russians told him to shut up.

Also the same question about the one Vladimir was singing before he died.

Vladimir was singing Po Polyu Tanki Grokhotali. This is the movie version mentioned on the wiki. This is the version Vladimir most likely knew and loved. (No, I don't know why they sang an armoured forces song on a ship while clothed in something that approximates navy uniforms. Nineties!)

Fun fact: In Russian, the "His fiancée will never learn now// What kind of end got her love dear" line is a double entendre. On the surface the song is talking about the fact that she'll never know how he died, but it also means that now she'll never know what kind of dick he had. :allears:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Unmature posted:

Yes, they're called "Superman fans".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Oh god you colossal nerds shut up about MoS

Lokapala posted:

The Russians' Russian is weird. With the notable exception of Gideon Emery they are mostly played by (semi-)native speakers, thus their accents and cadences range from ok to top notch (to be fair to Mr. Emery, while he couldn't master proper pronunciation, his is by far the most intelligible English speaker's Russian that I've had the pleasure to hear). But despite this fact, the lines themselves are... ridiculous. My best guess is that they outsourced the translation to a)non-native speakers and b)the translators were given only the lines themselves, with little to no explanatory context. So listening to the Russians is pretty cringeworthy. Wrong prepositions, wrong verb aspects, stilted lines that are obvious word-for-word translations of the subtitles. Oh, and then they suddenly and adorably use a curseword or two that are perfectly placed, pronounced and enunciated. I'm temped to guess the actors were supplying those.

Vladimir was singing Po Polyu Tanki Grokhotali. This is the movie version mentioned on the wiki. This is the version Vladimir most likely knew and loved. (No, I don't know why they sang an armoured forces song on a ship while clothed in something that approximates navy uniforms. Nineties!)

Fun fact: In Russian, the "His fiancée will never learn now// What kind of end got her love dear" line is a double entendre. On the surface the song is talking about the fact that she'll never know how he died, but it also means that now she'll never know what kind of dick he had. :allears:

maybeflan posted:

Kangding Love Song

I'm afraid I've got nothing for what Vladimir was singing.

This is really cool, thanks. I should go watch Nobu's scenes again to see if his dialogue was as weird--he did switch from polite to impolite several times, come to think of it, but I don't remember what the situations were.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Do not talk about Man of Steel in this thread. What is wrong with you guys? That should not need to be said.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I like how everyone has their own gently caress You Karen moments

I have two:

(1) Breaking into the senior home - NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER okay Karen, do not take advantage of dementia.

(2) Not as bad, but she's kind of a dick to Matt when he invites her over and it's all, "Hey, do you miss seeing stuff?" Some blind people are notoriously okay with curiosity about their condition (there's a youtube channel about it) as long as you're polite, but some people get really tired of those questions for obvious reasons.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Unmerciful posted:

That's actually what some of that area is known for - stores that are fronts for other activities - and it's usually super obvious, because there's a storefront and the store is totally disorganized and there's no customers. Mostly sneaker shops it seems like these days. But that doesn't make it a good neighborhood. You don't actually want those shops in your neighborhood. You want some fancy urban name brands, like a Whole Foods or something with "Gourmet" in the title, and then a lot of condos. You really want the drug stuff to happen elsewhere. Plus all those blind immigrants walking around? Attracts a ton of attention. I would certainly notice it if I saw 10 blind Asian people all dressed the same on the way to pick up my UPS package.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Wilson Fisk's evil plan is hard to understand because Wilson Fisk did nothing wrong

computer parts posted:

The ninjas just wanted a couple buildings to make their ninja hideout I think.

They wanted a very specific set of building on a very specific location. I don't think they actually cared about the real estate. The area must have been important for mystic ninja reasons.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 30, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

something something ley lines

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Something something the nexus of all energies.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really hope that they will go all out with the stupid mystical bullshit for the Iron Fist show, that will be amazing.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

NowonSA posted:

Something something the nexus of all energies.

Manhattan is filled with dead Native American spirits. But so is all of America, so....

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

dj_clawson posted:

Manhattan is filled with dead Native American spirits. But so is all of America, so....

"It turns out the entirety of America was built on an indian burial ground" is the best punchline to a joke I haven't heard yet.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly people keep picking on Daredevil's normal rogue's gallery, but I think he's got some decent characters in there.

Seeing how "I fight the urge to kill and struggle to avoid doing so" Murdock would interact with "Kill them all, then make sure they stay dead" Castle would be well worth it. I almost don't want a Punisher show now, I just want him to become a recurring character on Daredevil. Somehow I think he'd work far better in a supporting role there.

Plus that way you could also expand Daredevil's rogue's gallery to the Punisher's, which is effectively "every villain that still has a pulse."

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly people keep picking on Daredevil's normal rogue's gallery, but I think he's got some decent characters in there.

Seeing how "I fight the urge to kill and struggle to avoid doing so" Murdock would interact with "Kill them all, then make sure they stay dead" Castle would be well worth it. I almost don't want a Punisher show now, I just want him to become a recurring character on Daredevil. Somehow I think he'd work far better in a supporting role there.

Plus that way you could also expand Daredevil's rogue's gallery to the Punisher's, which is effectively "every villain that still has a pulse."

Punisher is one of the rogues people in the thread were saying was good, it's just that he's only got a few really good ones, and there's only so many times you can do the same story ("Oh No! Matt can't let the punisher kill this mob guy because X/Y/Z --OH Man, Matt might actually have to let the punisher kill this mob guy because X/Y/Z!"). A lot of the good tension in DD stories comes from people in Matt Murdock's life intersecting with Daredevil and how it affects them/puts them in danger instead of rogues.

Harry posted:

I thought they handled things really poorly with Fisk. I really thought he was going to get away at the end of the season and become the actual Kingpin. I don't think he ever truly won at any point, and they'd kind of do some random ham-fisted approaches to show that he was in charge, and then almost the very next scene would show he wasn't.

As mentioned earlier as well, his evil plan of tearing down the shithole slums was kind of dumb. Atleast try to run the angle that it was to gain control of some valuable [whatever] and be evil with it bit.

:psyduck: But... Fisk's whole arc was totally about him becoming the Kingpin. That's what that whole speech about the Samaritan was in the armored car. This is "Year One" for both Daredevil and Kingpin, where we get introduced to what led them down the path they're on as whatever super-identity they have. You may have noticed that Matt didn't actually become Daredevil until the end of the season, while he sorted out his motivations. Which is also exactly what Fisk was doing. Both of them are struggling with who they are and what they want, and they both come to effectively opposing conclusions.

Also, he wouldn't be much of a kingpin if he couldn't run poo poo from inside.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Blazing Ownager posted:

You could easily make fun of the rogue's gallery of any individual hero besides Batman and Spider-Man, really. When heroes aren't fighting their one or two nemeses, they're usually fighting the same villains that they fight in teams. (For example, I think Captain America has a good rogues' gallery, but they're all Avengers villains too.) Then they fill in the rest with a series of third-stringers; Daredevil fought Leap-Frog, Boomerang, and Shotgun before Bendis was halfway through his run.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Harry posted:

Well for one thing, he wasn't really in charge, he was part of a collective with other powerful members. Gao and Nobu were both more powerful with more powerful backers, the show makes that plainly clear.

In addition, it wasn't an "evil" plan for tearing down the slums. It was just a plan, it is what he wanted to accomplish because he thought it would make the city better. Fisk thought he was the good guy until the very last episode. Again, the show makes this extremely clear. Having him to do it to gain control of some MacGuffin to be evil would not fit with the character, and would also just be stupid because why do we need more MacGuffins.

Edit: I feel like the people that have a problem with the Kingpin are projecting what they expected/wanted in the Kingpin into the character and then complaining that stuff doesn't make sense to their own version of Fisk, instead of understanding who the Fisk we actually got in the show is. Complaining that he didn't have some super overarching evil objective for Hell's Kitchen is just stupid if you actually watched more than 10 minutes of the show.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 30, 2015

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

surc posted:

:psyduck: But... Fisk's whole arc was totally about him becoming the Kingpin. That's what that whole speech about the Samaritan was in the armored car. This is "Year One" for both Daredevil and Kingpin, where we get introduced to what led them down the path they're on as whatever super-identity they have. You may have noticed that Matt didn't actually become Daredevil until the end of the season, while he sorted out his motivations. Which is also exactly what Fisk was doing. Both of them are struggling with who they are and what they want, and they both come to effectively opposing conclusions.

Also, he wouldn't be much of a kingpin if he couldn't run poo poo from inside.

Yeah he gave the speech, but by this point his power has taken a massive hit, his partners are dead/gone, and half his money is as well (I can't remember if he manage to salvage that). He did manage to orchestrate the getaway I guess, so they will probably just be like "oh all his money and power is back".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Harry posted:

Yeah he gave the speech, but by this point his power has taken a massive hit, his partners are dead/gone, and half his money is as well (I can't remember if he manage to salvage that). He did manage to orchestrate the getaway I guess, so they will probably just be like "oh all his money and power is back".

He killed the poo poo out of Leland so I assume that no, Leland Owlsley did not succeed in the negotiations to take half his money.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Harry posted:

It's not about what he has left. It's about the fact that he knows who he is now. If you think that the new Fisk with clarity of mind cannot recover what was lost and be stronger than ever you missed the point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I hope we meet Leland's son at some point.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fisk's (purposeful) murky motivations is one of my favorite things about the show. Its murky because he's just not sure of what he is yet. So he struggles with the appearance of good, until he rips it away in the last episode. Its fantastic to see, and complex, and so much better than a mwah haha type villain. Didn't think I was going to see a Breaking Bad theme retread in a show about ninjas and billy sticks.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

He killed the poo poo out of Leland so I assume that no, Leland Owlsley did not succeed in the negotiations to take half his money.
I'll have to rewatch the scene, but it sounded like it had already happened and the deal was that Fisk wasn't going to kill him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I kind of liked that Fisk's plan was vague, in that you only learn it from kind of ancilliary dialog in the last couple episodes. He wants to bulldoze Hell's Kitchen and redevelop it into...something. Doesn't really matter what, it's just clear he's basically trying to secure the real estate. It's not really important--Fisk needs to be stopped because of everything he's done to make this plan happen, not the plan itself (although that is probably cartoonishly evil too). It makes the goal always focused on Fisk and who he is, not necessarily what he's trying or thinks he's trying to achieve.

Given that they show off just how self-deluding he is throughout the season, it's almost certain that his plan was a complete mess and would have fallen apart almost immediately, whatever it may have been.

Karen's cool, people be hating. The scene with her and Wesley was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

I hope we meet Leland's son at some point.

The comics are actually down to his granddaughter now. She was a recent villian in Matt's San Francisco adventures.