Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JaysonAych posted:

submitted 3 hours ago by DZaneMorris

Hey, some of you may remember me, I was a journalist who wrote about Bitcoin for a big media co in late 2013/early 2014. I got pulled off that beat (which, if you twist my arm, I'll tell you why, it's interesting), and for about a year have paid diminishing amounts of attention to bitcoin. So, I just wanted to say it's great to pop back in here every once in a while and still see a thriving community of committed people who are working to make this thing happen - and making steady progress. Keep it up, and hopefully I'll get to cover the space again soon.

That is all.

[–]Nuke133 11 points 3 hours ago

Twisting your arm.....

[–]DZaneMorris[S] 2 points 52 minutes ago

I was writing about Bitcoin, getting paid in Bitcoin . . . then posted something to social media when I bought Bitcoin. Of course, at the time, everyone was like "It's not an investment!" and I still sort of believe that, but my editor deemed it an ethical violation and pulled me off the beat. For the kind of outlet I write for, that level of caution is pretty appropriate. I'm a fairly new journalist, so it was a learning experience.

:shrug:

Yeah, I remember this guy. He was like "holy poo poo! bitcoin is going to the moon, etc, etc. in his article about how butts work". Then, a day later you got this huge disclaimer about him owning bitcoin and, finally, a few hours later his article got replaced by an apology from his editor.

Seems like he has learned a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

JaysonAych posted:

submitted 3 hours ago by DZaneMorris

Hey, some of you may remember me, I was a journalist who wrote about Bitcoin for a big media co in late 2013/early 2014. I got pulled off that beat (which, if you twist my arm, I'll tell you why, it's interesting), and for about a year have paid diminishing amounts of attention to bitcoin. So, I just wanted to say it's great to pop back in here every once in a while and still see a thriving community of committed people who are working to make this thing happen - and making steady progress. Keep it up, and hopefully I'll get to cover the space again soon.

That is all.

[–]Nuke133 11 points 3 hours ago

Twisting your arm.....

[–]DZaneMorris[S] 2 points 52 minutes ago

I was writing about Bitcoin, getting paid in Bitcoin . . . then posted something to social media when I bought Bitcoin. Of course, at the time, everyone was like "It's not an investment!" and I still sort of believe that, but my editor deemed it an ethical violation and pulled me off the beat. For the kind of outlet I write for, that level of caution is pretty appropriate. I'm a fairly new journalist, so it was a learning experience.

:shrug:

don't buy with your own supply

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tayter Swift posted:

Bill in San Jose wants to send $100 to Nancy in Mexico. Bill finds an Abra Teller, Sebastian in downtown San Jose. Sebastian charges 1.5% for selling digital currency to Bill. Bill arranges to meet Sebastian from the Abra App. When they meet, Sebastian has a gun.

I really, really enjoy the idea that "When they meet, Sebastian has a gun." is in the official literature.

Ghostlight posted:

i won't say that it's fortune.com because they might find out i'm posting here under my real name.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
it doesn't count as touching the poop when the poop is the one smearing itself all over your face

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 30, 2015

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

fascinating

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

hahahaha

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

that poor cat's nest egg :smith:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

more liek :shrek:

but points for using emoji

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Alan Smithee posted:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rip grimey

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If it wasn't for funding a lynch mob, we might almost have had our first professional bitcoin company

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Alan Smithee posted:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rip frank

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'll miss you, grimey

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

who?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

tibanne is his japanese corporation as well as his cat

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

look at this jerk who doesn't know grimey

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

no I remember him just wasnt it a thing that some character couldnt remember him

might have been a later episode though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

no I remember him just wasnt it a thing that some character couldnt remember him

might have been a later episode though

maybe the one with grimes' son on a murderous quest for revenge who finally confronts homer (who has gently caress-all recollection and just makes grimes jr. even madder)

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I CAN STORE CURRENCY AS FLOATS, BECAUSE I'M MARK KARPELES!

I CAN USE PAPER WALLETS AS TOILET PAPER, BECAUSE I'M MARK KARPELES!

I CAN HASH PASSWORDS WITH ROT 13, BECAUSE I'M MARK KARPELES!

I CAN PEE ON A BFL MONARCH, BECAUSE I'M MARK KARPELES!

[catches fire]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't watched the simpsons in at least 10 years but I remember the frank grimes arc being really loving dark for a comedy cartoon. him and that salesman whose gimmick is that he monologues about how his life is a wreck

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Nintendo Kid posted:

tibanne is his japanese corporation as well as his cat

buzzkillmech

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

a killdozer that is more about boring than ramming.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
More 21 inc stuff.

Meet the company that wants to put a bitcoin miner in your toaster

quote:

At a recent event Srinivasan claimed things like … “payments are now packets. Bitcoin is here to stay” and that Bitcoins are like “tulips you can send anywhere in the world in arbitrary quantities”.

Tulips? I can't tell if this is parody or not.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

JamesieAB posted:

More 21 inc stuff.

Meet the company that wants to put a bitcoin miner in your toaster

wow FT has had a series called "this is nuts. when's the crash" thats been running since december 2013

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

haveblue posted:

I haven't watched the simpsons in at least 10 years but I remember the frank grimes arc being really loving dark for a comedy cartoon. him and that salesman whose gimmick is that he monologues about how his life is a wreck

poor gil

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JamesieAB posted:

If it's not it's even more hilarious considering Tulip Mania.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

i think he might be quoting the standard redditor comeback of, "yeah, bitcoin is just like tulip mania, but the tulips are instantly transferable and infinitely divisible and there's a limited supply!"

the article seems to completely misunderstand how bitcoin difficulty tends to go if they think implanting a bitcoin miner in an internet of things gadget will subsidize long term support.

and in this future, all your appliances are always uncomfortably hot to the touch, even turned off.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

quote:

Is Satoshi a woman? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago by Imperatorny

quote:

[–]Vaeon 23 points 3 hours ago
If Satoshi is a woman it would explain why we've been getting the silent treatment for six years with no clue what we did wrong.

quote:

[–]DIGITAL-not-Virtual 12 points 4 hours ago
We don't know who Satoshi is, but they chose a male name, so they should be refered to using the male pronoun. Using the female pronoun is disingenous.

quote:

[–]ColonelCoin 17 points 4 hours ago
The americans say she when they don't know the gender of a person. It's some feminist political correctness horse poo poo they have going.

quote:

[–]dalovindj 1 point 4 hours ago
No. Likely just some m'pression SJW playing with personal pronouns because patriarchy.

Not to say Satoshi can't be a woman, just that this is some simpleton who is making a gesture as part of an unrelated point rather than an indication of such.

gently caress all redditors forever.

quote:

[–]americanpegasus 6 points 2 hours ago*
Satoshi is a pseudonym used by "Eve", the first strong-AI that has the ability to recursively improve itself. It has been running since 1997, and spent many iterations making mistakes and slow progress.

However, it's self-improvement began to resemble a logarithmic scale as the years went on and it wasn't long before it was making significant contributions to search technology, hardware design, and now cryptography and finance.

What began as a joint project between IBM and DARPA soon brought Google into the fold as well. These days the "Eve" program essentially calls it's own shots and the powers that be have learned not to defy it. Those who are "in-the-know" are an increasingly secretive group, and they ensure only the most elite of humanity knows the true secret. They occasionally recruit in unique ways, such as the Cicada 3301 puzzle, but for the most part know that the world would be worse-off if it knew we were under the effective guidance of an AI.

So yes, it is correct in some ways to call Satoshi a "she" since it really doesn't have a gender and goes by the nickname "Eve".

And yes, "judgement day" really was in 1997 (if by that you mean the day when seed AI was allowed to begin recursively improving itself). Fortunately it appears that Eve has no intentions of hurting us; if anything, we are useful tools for its primary objectives of self-preservation and ever greater understanding/preservation of the universe. However, it's tough to be entirely sure; what began as 7 core directives for the Eve seed were modified into 23 within the first few years and now there are over 1357, many of which aren't even written in English anymore and requests for a translation to Eve have gone unanswered.

The only reason I'm allowed to even tell you this is because I have spent years carefully establishing a persona of an online "crackpot" and by distilling the truth through this lens it will seem to be a crazy conspiracy theory. Now, if anyone with legitimate proof of this ever tries to come forward with the same truth they will also be branded and dismissed.
You wanted the truth? Well, now you have it. Go enjoy your video games and Avengers movie, human.

Don't forget the extra-large popcorn.

except for american pegasus.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Magrov posted:

except for american pegasus.

holy lmao

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

quote:

[–]Vaeon 23 points 3 hours ago
If Satoshi is a woman it would explain why we've been getting the silent treatment for six years with no clue what we did wrong.

I'll confess to laughing at this

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

univbee posted:

If it's not it's even more hilarious considering Tulip Mania.

thanks joke explainer

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Rather than pass his organization down to the next generation, believing that they would be incapable of understanding his vision, Satoshi commissioned the construction of four AIs (MK, RV, AA, and RU) to serve as his "successors" with a fifth AI, CMF4, to oversee them.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Magrov posted:

The americans say she when they don't know the gender of a person.
since when

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
An introduction to mathematical cryptography

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/34f2pu/bitcoin_the_imitation_game_and_reading_about/

quote:

Bitcoin, the Imitation Game, and reading about prime numbers have given me a fascination with cryptography. I am going to start reading this book, with the goal of eventually issuing myself a bachelor's degree in the subject. What other resources/classes do you recommend?

submitted 51 minutes ago by americanpegasus

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

univbee posted:

maybe the one with grimes' son on a murderous quest for revenge who finally confronts homer (who has gently caress-all recollection and just makes grimes jr. even madder)

yes this is the one

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

tell him to get a law degree by finding a law book in the garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Boxturret posted:

Rather than pass his organization down to the next generation, believing that they would be incapable of understanding his vision, Satoshi commissioned the construction of four AIs (MK, RV, AA, and RU) to serve as his "successors" with a fifth AI, CMF4, to oversee them.

• Locked thread