Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pretry sure therr are warnings against putting boxes in drop boxes plus doing so with no retuen addy is even worse. It may be against federal law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Pretry sure therr are warnings against putting boxes in drop boxes plus doing so with no retuen addy is even worse. It may be against federal law.

And just how are they going to find out who dropped the box in there? If there's no evidence, I didn't do it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This is a really dumb argument, and yes it is illegal. They take that poo poo pretty seriously now, especially relating to bio/nuclear stuff, since guess what? That method you guys are discussing? That is how the guy who did the anthrax attacks in 2001 sent his packages of joy.

Y'all are definitely gonna get put on a list.

Apparently junkyard employees have the same general dislike of pulling van engines that I do.

kastein fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 28, 2015

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What is the story with that radium water pot?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good for what ails ya, don'tchaknow.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

What is the story with that radium water pot?
The Radium Water Worked Fine Until His Jaw Came Off

Good old fashioned quackery. Like the homeopathy of its day.

edit:

:pseudo:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 28, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Bradbury Building. Where the climax of Blade Runner took place.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

You loving retards sure are good at posting pictures of horrible mechanical failures

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

And just how are they going to find out who dropped the box in there? If there's no evidence, I didn't do it.

Corner mailboxes probably not but the box would need to fit in the bin.
At the package acceptance things at a post office may possibly (I'm crazy here) have a camera or two in the area.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slow is Fast posted:

You loving retards sure are good at posting pictures of horrible mechanical failures

That looks familiar.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Corner mailboxes probably not but the box would need to fit in the bin.
At the package acceptance things at a post office may possibly (I'm crazy here) have a camera or two in the area.

The security or lack thereof of the USPS is not a horrible mechanical failure.

This is an example of a horrible mechanical failure.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Haha, I am on my phone so that's pretty small. I went "pfft what's wrong with *squints* oh drat". What the hell happened to the rocker/cam?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nm posted:

That looks familiar.

Same. Can't put my finger on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Haha, I am on my phone so that's pretty small. I went "pfft what's wrong with *squints* oh drat". What the hell happened to the rocker/cam?

Not my picture, but my guess is equally bad things.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Horrible small engine mechanic failure: my dad was chatting with the guy who runs a shop down the road and the mechanic mentioned that he had this Honda tiller which a person had dropped off several months ago for engine repair but had a seized transmission. The guy never showed up and stopped returning calls.

My dad has another one with a finiky engine but a great transmission so he bought it from the mechanic for $50.

Then when helping him unload it my mom noticed this:

Runs great now!

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Mechanical Failure Delivery System!

Link to this terrible idea.. Yep.. It's real.

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/4939902005.html

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 30, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tongue weight what's that?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What in the every loving gently caress...?

I'm not entirely sure a receiver hitch is designed for torque loads like that. On either axis.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bolind posted:

I'm not entirely sure a receiver hitch is designed for torque loads like that. On either axis.

Oh it's probably built for a Class V 3" receiver for use on a goddamn dump truck. Or the weight was not even considered. I really want to see the deflection in the main tube at 75mph over a marked 'DIP'. Like from a GoPro - not driving behind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slack3r posted:

:stare: I can barely trust people towing their trailers not to overload the hitch, this is going to kill someone.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Powershift posted:

Ya'll motherfuckers gonna get put on a list.

I think most people who post on SA is already on some sort of a list, whether it's a mailing list for sperg weekly, autism monthly, or "most likely to flip out and kill people" list.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bolind posted:

These sort of things seem to be more and more common. The steel box hanging from the hitch type deflect like crazy and are terrifying. I can't imagine a motorcycle.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Show up and ask him to demo it for you.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

Show up and ask him to demo it for you.

I emailed him. Waiting for a reply. The ad is over 30 days old tho. Maybe he will renew the ad once he sees interest?

Will bring my Tahoe and have him demo it with his bike if I can. Will take pics.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"custom" on Craigslist = "hackjob"

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

"custom" on Craigslist = "hackjob"

No way! I'm sure it was assembled with the BEST tubing found at Home Depot with a sweet Harbor Freight flux core 110 welder.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was planning on using one to bring my Ducati 749 (~400lb) from Phoenix to Thunder Hill Raceway and back (2000mi) next month. :v:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049IACSO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2SUF4SG159G0L&coliid=I2NPNANRT43UK6
A ramp to get a bike into a 36" bed height truck is >$500 and towing a trailer through half of California with their 55mph limit is not something I relish the thought of. :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 30, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BlackMK4 posted:

A ramp to get a bike into a 36" bed height truck is >$500 and towing a trailer through half of California with their 55mph limit is not something I relish the thought of. :v:

I know a guy on CL who could whip one up for you for less than 1/2 that out of some rain guttering and pallets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every once in a while I'll spot a minivan on the road with one of those trailer hitch platforms that has a battery powered wheelchair strapped to it.

The rear most edge is almost always inches from the pavement because there's just no support for the drat thing. I'm not sure how that can be legal but it's not like anyone is going to draw up a ticket for a family trying to care for a handicapped member.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Slack3r posted:

Link to this terrible idea.. Yep.. It's real.

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/4939902005.html

This guy probably didn't do one lick of engineering on this, but there are real hitch-mount motorcycle carriers. You have to really pay attention to the tongue weight rating on your vehicle. My brother carried a dual-sport on the back of his Honda Pilot on one, all the way from New York, down to Texas, and then up to Seattle. The hitch on that thing had a crazy tongue weight rating though, I couldn't have put that on my Jeep's hitch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Not to mention that a dirt bike or a dual sport might way 200 - 300 lbs, while a big cruiser might weigh 500 - 800 lbs.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Every once in a while I'll spot a minivan on the road with one of those trailer hitch platforms that has a battery powered wheelchair strapped to it.

I've seen Tauruses with those wheelchairs on the back. It could have been an illusion, but the back of the cars would seriously look bent behind the C-pillars/above the rear fenders. Frightening.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

EightBit posted:

This guy probably didn't do one lick of engineering on this, but there are real hitch-mount motorcycle carriers. You have to really pay attention to the tongue weight rating on your vehicle. My brother carried a dual-sport on the back of his Honda Pilot on one, all the way from New York, down to Texas, and then up to Seattle. The hitch on that thing had a crazy tongue weight rating though, I couldn't have put that on my Jeep's hitch.

Yeah, that doesn't look anything at all like the hitch mount carrier I used precisely once to move my SV from the south to the north bay area. On the back of a 1990 Cherokee. I did it at 0300 to because I was terrified any number of things might go wrong, and while nothing went seriously wrong it's not something I'd ever like to repeat. I rented a U-Haul trailer when I got the hell out of CA, even towing a short trailer behind a Jeep through the Siskiyou mountains at night during a spectacular thunderstorm on zero sleep was a better experience.

If you do it, definitely test fit and drive first. Use good straps, which if I was to do it again I would probably back up with something not nylon straps, because if there are any bumps in the road at all the straps loosen themselves horrifyingly quickly and regularly. I settled by leaning the bike against the rear door and fixing it in that position, but it was far from ideal and I pulled over twice to tighten things. Three times probably would have been better. It did get me there, but that wasn't a thousand mile road trip.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Car And Driver did a piece on the 2016 CTSV
http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/15-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-640-hp-200-mph-2016-cadillac-cts-v#1
All I see is soon to be mechanical failures.

Future oil leak failure, note they are still using jesus clips.

Future rust problems.

Cant wait for people driving 200mph on these control arms when they are rusted out to poo poo.

Being a tech makes me hate cars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are some big pictures. I find it amusing how it's a ~~luxury brand~~ and the performance variant of said brand yet they don't have alloy control arms everywhere like an infiniti or lexus.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Are stamped steel control arms normal for 600+hp cars? :stare:

Slavvy posted:

Those are some big pictures.

Looks fine to me :smug:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Judging by those pictures, it sure looks like GM knows they won't be able to move the CTS-V without deep discounts.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
My scirocco's control arms are more solid looking then those ones, and Mk1 control arms are practically wear items.

Good to know GM is really trying to get their market position back from VW.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I am turgid. That -V looks good as gently caress. Way better than a contemporary M5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

Are stamped steel control arms normal for 600+hp cars? :stare:

Those are going to rust to bits in Canada. They look like the terrible ones Subaru used that turned to dust within 5 years.