Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I saw the 20th anniversary show, with Blackwater Park, in London. Was some really good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sounds like a poo poo time.

Why not for a 25th anniversary play Orchid or Morningrise in full instead of prog-master Ghost Reveries.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Nothingface is over twenty-five years old, you're agreeing with me :v:

Well, sort of, but when I think "old production" I think of something that sounds gritty, lo-fi, and not digitized. And Nothingface has a much more sterile and lifeless sound, something which a lot of traditionalists will say is an emblematic problem of modern production jobs.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Vintersorg posted:

Sounds like a poo poo time.

Why not for a 25th anniversary play Orchid or Morningrise in full instead of prog-master Ghost Reveries.
hey guy, you're wrong and you should listen to GR again because it's waiting for your appreciation for being what it is

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Varg posted:

hey guy, you're wrong and you should listen to GR again because it's waiting for your appreciation for being what it is

at least the first half

the second half of GR leaves a bit to be desired but the awesomeness of the first half makes up for it

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Gamma Nerd posted:

Well, sort of, but when I think "old production" I think of something that sounds gritty, lo-fi, and not digitized. And Nothingface has a much more sterile and lifeless sound, something which a lot of traditionalists will say is an emblematic problem of modern production jobs.

Well, I was being facetious (in both posts), but really, to me, when I said "old production" it was more about music that has actually been mixed and produced with the actual recording being used as the basis for work, rather than seemingly to a pre-determined generic template of levels and compression that "should" be the result.

That in itself is a fallacy (hence my lack of seriousness), since there's always been people who have a template sound that they work towards or around. I mean, there's no way in hell that Scott Burns' production was 100% the best job for every band he worked with, but it was en vogue at the time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Attn: MrBling

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Nordick posted:

Also, despite the muddy production, The Time of the Oath is still just as great an album as Master of the Rings.

time of the oath and master of the rings are the only good albums they've done since keeper pt 2 (disclaimer: haven't listened to a whole album of new helloween in almost a decade but nothing indicates that they're fixing their poo poo)

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

A human heart posted:

Attn: MrBling

Ok, these guys sound pretty fun(ny) to have a drink with.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Ok, these guys sound pretty fun(ny) to have a drink with.

Pretty sure it's just one guy running that label.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Opeth is boring and bad and has always been poo poo.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

A human heart posted:

Pretty sure it's just one guy running that label.

There is a fair chance he was drunk when he wrote it. What with being Bavarian and all.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Possibly Chicken posted:

Opeth is boring and bad and has always been poo poo.
I saw them live at a festival a couple years back, because my cousin I went there with is a fan and wanted to see them. He agreed with me that the gig was really boring.
I never understood the band's appeal, either.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
if you don't hold your head cocked back for the first few seconds of Ghost of Perdition and then begin furiously headbanging once it kicks in then what are you even doing

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Kumbamontu posted:

if you don't hold your head cocked back for the first few seconds of Ghost of Perdition and then begin furiously headbanging once it kicks in then what are you even doing

saving the headbanging for something that's actually good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUTLu9382jI

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kumbamontu posted:

best song in rock band

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Really really digging Sigh's new album. It almost has a psuedo-live sounds to it, I kinda like the mix.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Ghost Reveries gets a pass in my book due to harlequin forest. Though Damnation is their best work they have done in my opinion, and it isn't even a metal album.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MrBling posted:

There is a fair chance he was drunk when he wrote it. What with being Bavarian and all.

https://barbarianwrath.bandcamp.com/track/walpurgisnacht

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A human heart posted:

I went to this over the weekend. Grave Upheaval are excellent, Temple Nightside are very good, Impetuous Ritual put on a good show even though I don't like their music so much, and Sinistrous Diabolus are the heaviest live band I've ever seen. Vesicant are also a band to keep an eye on if you're at all into black/death, their new material sounded very promising.

Thanks for the heads up on Vesicant. They do indeed sound promising. They're giving away a download of their 2-track demo here. I'm a nice guy so I gave them two bucks for it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Sure sounds like a Megiddo song. Still not sure why Chorazaim took 13 years to do this, because its not like he was really all that active in other bands. I mean, Sepulchre was cool and all but that also just 15 minutes of music 4 years ago.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Kumbamontu posted:

It just sounds like Opeth to me, and I'd rather listen to their earlier stuff? This seems like one of those "when did you get into the band" things (like that dude whose touchpoint for Sonata Arctica was Unia)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think Opeth are one of those bands that the first album that you dig will always be your favourite.

For me? It's Still Life.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Are there other bands out there like Hooded Menace? Been listening to all their stuff again at work and I want more.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MisterFister posted:

Are there other bands out there like Hooded Menace? Been listening to all their stuff again at work and I want more.

Demonic Death Judge give me the same vibe, although they are groovier and less death metal oriented.

Also stuff like Asphyx obviously.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 30, 2015

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

MisterFister posted:

Sort of similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wu3XqpWCrQ

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MisterFister posted:

Claws is kind of a non doom-y version of Hooded Menace. It's from the same guy in charge of Hooded Menace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9uWk7Uq96U

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

To Battle posted:

Ghost Reveries gets a pass in my book due to harlequin forest. Though Damnation is their best work they have done in my opinion, and it isn't even a metal album.

Damnation is loving beautiful and would have been a nice note to go out on. Storm Corrosion has the same feel in terms of composition and structure - its gorgeous and made me miss the old Opeth.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
My feeling on Ghost Reveries was pretty meh for a while, but I gave it another listen a couple months ago and was surprised how much I liked it. Lopez sounded like he woke up behind the kit, and I really liked the addition of a full-time keyboard player. Great guitar work too. Blackwater Park will probably always be my favorite though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HAHAHAHA OOPS - I made a mistake. It's loving Watershed that I hate. Reveries is alright (and is when I saw em live for the first time in Nottingham when I visited my aunt).

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

welp I just bought 2 tickets to the Opeth show at the Beacon Theatre in NYC in the orchestra section on a presale from Metalsucks

$92 per ticket... $2 more than I paid to see Manowar.. and I gotta sit down for this show? fuckin hate seats, oh well

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo $92 for Opeth?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Vintersorg posted:

cheapest in upper balcony was $48 including bs fees so I said screw it and got the closest available

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

At least you'll need the seats when you need a nap halfway through the set.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

HAHAHAHA OOPS - I made a mistake. It's loving Watershed that I hate. Reveries is alright (and is when I saw em live for the first time in Nottingham when I visited my aunt).

Watershed has some of Opeth's worst songs but also some of its best. If you hate Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater then you're a big fat wiener, true story

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I like Watershed. Come at me bro.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Vintersorg posted:

Holy gently caress seriously

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Henchman of Santa posted:

Watershed has some of Opeth's worst songs but also some of its best. If you hate Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater then you're a big fat wiener, true story

Suck me. :cheeky:

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Varg posted:

$92 per ticket... and I gotta sit down

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Thanks for the suggestions! So far I've listened to temple of void and claws... both are awesome!