Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The hat is nice but the eyes are still terrifying.

The others don't react to Navarre joining the army? Disappointing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I think I pretty much post the same thing every time the subject comes up, but it's such a shame you don't actually get his hat with a fematar.

(Also a shame the hat comes with a separate hair style instead of just going on top of whatever hair you already had.)

Yes, I am Mad At Videogames. :mad:

I do like Feena having a sword, even if she's not great with it. At least she tries, and that's more than most other dancers can say for themselves. Nice use of rescue staff, too.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Torrannor posted:

The hat is nice but the eyes are still terrifying.

The others don't react to Navarre joining the army? Disappointing!

Surprisingly no. There isn't a single line about it, Marth can't Talk to him during the map or anything. Any reactions are left for supports.

vilkacis posted:

I think I pretty much post the same thing every time the subject comes up, but it's such a shame you don't actually get his hat with a fematar.

(Also a shame the hat comes with a separate hair style instead of just going on top of whatever hair you already had.)

Yes, I am Mad At Videogames. :mad:

I do like Feena having a sword, even if she's not great with it. At least she tries, and that's more than most other dancers can say for themselves. Nice use of rescue staff, too.

Yeah, I think that's kind of a problem with the hats. IIRC, all but two of the characters that give you hats/hair are male, and we've already seen Cecille's male variant (The Ike haircut). You can't be full bald, you can't get the actual Pope Hat. Hopefully that changes if FE: IF has those sort of cosmetic changes.

And yeah, Feena's sword can lead to some funny moments. I'm sure someone crazy has shoveled stat boosters into her and had her solo the final boss. Plus if you want a quick jolt of XP you can always poke a near dead Cleric or something with it.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 29, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Marth is so jealous of our hat

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Actually, for non-Hard mode, Feena can be fairly useful. Her growth rates are as crazy high as Julian's, though with less Strength (though her Strength growth is still pretty decent), HP, and Defense, but more Speed and Skill* (enough to be virtually guaranteed), plus a slight chance to gain Res. This, combined with the ability to wield the Lady Sword, makes her pretty effective at taking down Thieves or Mages, as the Lady Sword can one-shot them, and also Feena's really good at dodging enemies with lower hit rates once she gets a few levels, though she'll have trouble in the latter portions of the game, as her Speed caps at 25 (rather than Julian's cap of 30). Overall, you don't really want to use her as a fighter, but she's not a liability in combat, either. Except on Hard and above, of course, so, have fun with that.

*Yeah, Feena missed an 80% chance in your play of that chapter, sorry.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
Feena actually was pretty good in FE3 as a combat unit if you wanted, her growths were amazing, shards made them even higher (beyond 100% in some areas IIRC and caps were low enough and stat boosters broken enough she could reach the stat caps with minimal investment, I'd argue that Feena is probably the best combat unit of all the dancers,not saying much though considering her competition (Lalum, and Ninian can't do combat period, Tethys can only do combat by exploiting a glitch and she outclassed by every other unit in the game, Sylvia and Laylea suck at combat hard, Lara requires hard scroll abuse to be good at combat and every other unit in the game can be good with scroll abuse, Leen might be able to solo an army or two with a Wind Sword and Azel as her father, but I'm not sure, Olivia can be decent in combat as Dancer if you grind her ridiculously but literally every other promoted class is better and she would be prefer to something else for combat)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

vilkacis posted:

Agreed.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
RE: Feena Stuff

Yeah, I actually hadn't really looked her growths, and those are really solid. I guess the hardest part of using her would be, at this point in the game, trying to work with a non-reclassable 2 Strength melee unit made of paper. I guess Arena might work? Still, like Eclectic said, I can't see her being very workable above Hard Mode in this version.

Sorely tempted to just use that all next update.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Feena works ok as a combat unit, but if you're deploying her having her dance is 9 times out of 10 way more valuable than being an ok combat unit. It does, however, mean that you can use her in your frontline for an enemy phase here and there when you need to.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Usually for me Feena ends up eating my Angelic Robes. Having her able to survive one attack of any sort is really helpful given her dance's tactical uses.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Feena works ok as a combat unit, but if you're deploying her having her dance is 9 times out of 10 way more valuable than being an ok combat unit. It does, however, mean that you can use her in your frontline for an enemy phase here and there when you need to.

I usually, in the games where dancers are allowed to fight, find them useful as a chip unit to feed kills. The usefulness of doing so can vary greatly of course, but you just seem to reach a point where you can't make your A team leave an enemy alive, and your B team needs a little experience.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Now that Steve's maxed Speed and Skill and needs Strength and Defense, there is no reason not to make her a Cavalier. Do iiiiiiit

(seriously, reclassing is your friend, abuse it)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Caeda has had enough near death for this map, I'm exiling her to those useless water squares. (I still used the Vulnerary because I'm paranoid)

Well, of course she's been near death.

She has Cancer.

(I should be sorry, but I'm not.)

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Not sure if this is better or worse.* The eyes.... :stare:

Digging the LP, Hippo; this game doesn't seem to give you a lot to work with so it's interesting to see you dealing with it. It helps that Steve is the gift that just keeps giving, heh.

* Well, on a technical level it's worse; midnight :effort: and the fact I used the "in shadows" portraits to mash up since there wasn't a normal one of Steve in the Girlpope Hat. You know what I mean.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Pope hat looks nice and once again highlights how terrible the character models are. He doesn't get the hat in the game. :smith:

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
I'm sad Radd didn't get a level there, but he was probably lagging behind due to the forests. What I like to do on this chapter is draw out the dragon while the Pegasus Knights (and Dracoknight Sirius) take out the thieves with Navarre and Feena's help. Feena will just barely not die if you make sure to kill the thieves that will attack you with Navarre (the ones without loot), and the people fighting the dragon are then in position to fight the reinforcements and get a bunch of levels.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Einander posted:

Now that Steve's maxed Speed and Skill and needs Strength and Defense, there is no reason not to make her a Cavalier. Do iiiiiiit

(seriously, reclassing is your friend, abuse it)

I was trying to do as little reclassing as possible that the thread didn't vote for or ask for, but I could try that out. Since you've now asked for it, it falls into one of those categories!

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, of course she's been near death.

She has Cancer.

(I should be sorry, but I'm not.)

Darth TNT posted:

Pope hat looks nice and once again highlights how terrible the character models are. He doesn't get the hat in the game. :smith:

Sadly none of the character models really get beyond "human shaped blob with X color hair. Aside from Wrys, who is always bald, because that is canon as hell.

Wayne posted:

Not sure if this is better or worse.* The eyes.... :stare:

Digging the LP, Hippo; this game doesn't seem to give you a lot to work with so it's interesting to see you dealing with it. It helps that Steve is the gift that just keeps giving, heh.

Popesteve is pretty great in all formats.

And thanks, I appreciate it. Honestly, it was probably a bad idea for me to do a fairly long and complicated RPG for my first Screenshot LP, but I've fumbled my way this far. Notably with the help of a ton of people in the thread, FEWiki's portraits, and such. Helps that I really do like the game as well. If I can at least manage a decent job of showing this game off, I'm pretty happy.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

I'm sad Radd didn't get a level there, but he was probably lagging behind due to the forests. What I like to do on this chapter is draw out the dragon while the Pegasus Knights (and Dracoknight Sirius) take out the thieves with Navarre and Feena's help. Feena will just barely not die if you make sure to kill the thieves that will attack you with Navarre (the ones without loot), and the people fighting the dragon are then in position to fight the reinforcements and get a bunch of levels.

He did in one of the tries I had to cut because the Killer Lance Knight critted Ogma. It was 1 Def and 1 Speed, IIRC.

And yeah, I definitely could have saved both Nabarvdl and Feena without Rescue Staff, but I was having trouble figuring out how, and I'll be honest, I got lazy.

I didn't think of using a reclassed Dracoknight though, that's a good idea.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Also popping in to say you are doing a great job with this LP!

I am just getting started on a SSLP I will be doing (although it will still probably be a while before it goes up), and I can now really appreciate all the work needed in playing the game with the mindset that I need screenshots from it, and also by the sheer number of shots I that are needed for a decent sized update. It's a lot of work! Good job, keep it up!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Glaive17 posted:

Also popping in to say you are doing a great job with this LP!

I am just getting started on a SSLP I will be doing (although it will still probably be a while before it goes up), and I can now really appreciate all the work needed in playing the game with the mindset that I need screenshots from it, and also by the sheer number of shots I that are needed for a decent sized update. It's a lot of work! Good job, keep it up!

word of advice - if you're not recording video of the game as you play it you should be. (Assuming this is at all possible, depending on your setup the framerate might not survive)

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

word of advice - if you're not recording video of the game as you play it you should be. (Assuming this is at all possible, depending on your setup the framerate might not survive)

Thanks for the advice, but I already am doing that. I am using DesMume, so my recording process goes to play the game while using the built in movie recorder, then go back and play the movie, and pause it for screenshots when I need them.

What I meant by playing with screenshots in mind is that I am impatient when it comes to games, and when I am playing for fun I try to do everything as quickly as possible, so I have to force myself to slow down a bit to leave enough time to pause and take a screenshot as I go back through.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Keep the Hat!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I was trying to do as little reclassing as possible that the thread didn't vote for or ask for, but I could try that out. Since you've now asked for it, it falls into one of those categories!

Since you went and pulled her out of mage anyway, just reclass whatever, I don't care anymore :smith:

You horrible person. :haw:

Cake Attack posted:

It very much depends on the game. Anything like an RPG with a lot of text boxes and little in the way of movement can quite easily be done without recording most of it - and it takes less time that way, too. Just be liberal with the savestates in case you miss something.

Guy Fawkes posted:

Keep the Hat!

Yes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Support Pope Steve!

Also I like that you can use Rescue Staff shenanigans to good effect on a map where you start out surrounded.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Next map is one of my favorites.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Don't keep the hat. It cheapens the effect, and besides, it's not even the right hat.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The pope hat stays on Steve.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Personally I think PopeSteve is kinda cute, I hope you keep it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

vilkacis posted:

It very much depends on the game. Anything like an RPG with a lot of text boxes and little in the way of movement can quite easily be done without recording most of it - and it takes less time that way, too. Just be liberal with the savestates in case you miss something.

not to turn the thread into LP theory crafting, but I've done it both ways (both times for RPGs) and recording is so much easier imo. Grabbing frames from avsPmod while writing the update is around the same speed as just picking out screens from what you took while playing, and in every other way (GIFs, music, etc.) is more convenient.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cake Attack posted:

not to turn the thread into LP theory crafting, but I've done it both ways (both times for RPGs) and recording is so much easier imo. Grabbing frames from avsPmod while writing the update is around the same speed as just picking out screens from what you took while playing, and in every other way (GIFs, music, etc.) is more convenient.

:agreed:

The biggest benefit is that it allows you to play the game at your own pace and not have to be on the lookout for screenshot/gif opportunities. You can do it later.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
It also has the added advantage of letting you check exactly what frame you're screenshotting to avoid, say, blinking frames. Or to specifically grab them if it somehow adds to the line.

Think of the possibilities. All blinking Marth, all the time.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Why would you do as little reclassing as possible? That's this game's thing. All characters are class-fluid, only really grouped by weapon types (and sometimes not even that, as Hunter Draug and Mage Cecile remind us). There's really no reason not to constantly switch characters between classes as fits your mood and situation. This isn't Awakening, you don't need to worry about getting overleveled or using up finite resources.

I mean, heck, sometimes the class groupings seriously change character utility--Navarre and Ogma aren't too different before promotion, but you can stick one of them on a horse if you need him to be a bit faster on one map, while the other can be shoved into an axe class for a bit if lances are a problem (especially since he promotes to an axe-using class anyway).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Miacis posted:

It also has the added advantage of letting you check exactly what frame you're screenshotting to avoid, say, blinking frames. Or to specifically grab them if it somehow adds to the line.

Think of the possibilities. All blinking Marth, all the time.

If there's one thing we've learned from the Megaman Battle Network LPs over the years, it's that Blink Animation is the best co-commentator a screenshot LP could ask for.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Einander posted:

Why would you do as little reclassing as possible? That's this game's thing. All characters are class-fluid, only really grouped by weapon types (and sometimes not even that, as Hunter Draug and Mage Cecile remind us). There's really no reason not to constantly switch characters between classes as fits your mood and situation. This isn't Awakening, you don't need to worry about getting overleveled or using up finite resources.

I mean, heck, sometimes the class groupings seriously change character utility--Navarre and Ogma aren't too different before promotion, but you can stick one of them on a horse if you need him to be a bit faster on one map, while the other can be shoved into an axe class for a bit if lances are a problem (especially since he promotes to an axe-using class anyway).

That class fluidity and its utility is one of the things I really like about this game, and didn't like about Awakening. The advent of Second Seals being necessary to change your class (and by extension resetting your level) and then those seals not being available freely until you're in at least the second half of the game (I think the earliest they get sold is from after one of the optional child recruitment chapters) really limits what I think is the appeal of a class swap system. I'd be totally cool with each character having their own fixed class set (like, say, Barst can only be a Fighter, Mercenary or Pirate just as Vaike can only be a Fighter, Barbarian or Thief) so long as they could move freely between them as the situation warrants. You could say that they were going for a system that made you stick with your decisions, but I still don't like it (and resetting levels just makes growths meaningless).

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

:neckbeard:

yay popehat! I trust that the hat will never be removed?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Testekill posted:

:neckbeard:

yay popehat! I trust that the hat will never be removed?

Well, obviously all the other excellent hats must be shown off, not to mention the item that's far funnier than any hat that looks nothing like the Pope's hat it's not even pointy.

Reminder: This is the hat we're discussing. The Letdown Hat.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

RE: HAT CHAT

It seems like pretty much everyone likes the PopeSteve (Sorry Eclectic :( ), so I'll probably keep it until we get our next hat option, because I do want to show them all off eventually. That's still a ways from now, though.

Einander posted:

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense, but earlier on in the thread I talked about reclassing and people didn't seem too keen on holding votes for it. So it'd have to be a decision I made solo or with some non-formal questions, and honestly this is kind of a tough game to do audience participation stuff for anyway. I have been trying to test out some suggested changes, like CavCaeda or MageMalicia, so I can probably try out CavSteve as well. Basically I think I was taking it a bit too seriously, and I don't think people will mind that much. If you guys in the thread are like, super opposed to reclassing something, let me know and I won't, but I might be doing some hopping around for characters like Steve who just need one or two specific better growth rates (Like Def.), especially with her because I'd like to keep her relevant since she's pretty much the main character.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

LordHippoman posted:

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense, but earlier on in the thread I talked about reclassing and people didn't seem too keen on holding votes for it. So it'd have to be a decision I made solo or with some non-formal questions, and honestly this is kind of a tough game to do audience participation stuff for anyway. I have been trying to test out some suggested changes, like CavCaeda or MageMalicia, so I can probably try out CavSteve as well. Basically I think I was taking it a bit too seriously, and I don't think people will mind that much. If you guys in the thread are like, super opposed to reclassing something, let me know and I won't, but I might be doing some hopping around for characters like Steve who just need one or two specific better growth rates (Like Def.), especially with her because I'd like to keep her relevant since she's pretty much the main character.

Yeah, I'd say just do whatever you think would work best. I doubt people will complain unless you suddenly start using Myrmidon Wrys or what have you.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Yeah, I'd say just do whatever you think would work best. I doubt people will complain unless you suddenly start using Myrmidon Wrys or what have you.

There are probably a lot of reclasses people would complain about, but I don't think Myrmidon Wrys is among them, unless the complaint is "we wish you had the expanded reclassing options unlocked so he could be a Hero/Warrior/Berserker instead".

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009
It may be too late to weigh in on HAT CHAT, but I'd say lose the fail hat after 1 update, but keep this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

There are probably a lot of reclasses people would complain about, but I don't think Myrmidon Wrys is among them, unless the complaint is "we wish you had the expanded reclassing options unlocked so he could be a Hero/Warrior/Berserker instead".

Maybe we should start a game, find the Wrys. Wrys being the only one who is always bald, each update Hippoman reclasses him and we have to find his new class by identifying his shiny head...or read the name on the screen. Whichever gives you more enjoyment.

• Locked thread