Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Actually speaking of Euro/Aus releases, another little touch I love is in Fire Emblem Awakening. FE games (actually, come to think of it, a lot of Nintendo games) often have inconsequential changes to proper nouns when they get released here, I think it's for the benefit of other languages(?), but don't bother fixing US spelling and phrases while they're there. For Awakening they actually put in the effort to go over the script with a fine-toothed comb to replace all the Americanisms in the script with Britishisms, something I'm grateful for and I haven't really seen many games do. Oh, and the proper nouns are actually consistent for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Rickycat posted:

Speaking of which that was a little touch I loved in the Thief series; all of the conversations between NPCs

When are they going to bring me my dinner? That's what I want to know. When are they going to bring me my *BLACKJACK*

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Actually speaking of Euro/Aus releases, another little touch I love is in Fire Emblem Awakening. FE games (actually, come to think of it, a lot of Nintendo games) often have inconsequential changes to proper nouns when they get released here, I think it's for the benefit of other languages(?), but don't bother fixing US spelling and phrases while they're there. For Awakening they actually put in the effort to go over the script with a fine-toothed comb to replace all the Americanisms in the script with Britishisms, something I'm grateful for and I haven't really seen many games do. Oh, and the proper nouns are actually consistent for once.

I think I heard those are in the US version.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I pretty much only play in single-player mode in Dragonball Xenoverse, so it took until just now to realize there are 40 different emotes, all of which are taken from Dragonball Z. Including both sides of the fusion dance, Goku's two-fingered salute, and all of the different Ginyu Force poses.

If you want to punch things, level up, and play dress-up with your Dragonball fan fiction character, I cannot recommend this game enough.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The company that translated Fire Emblem Awakening also did Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. Apparently one of the guys at 8-4 (The translators) asked Platinum if it'd be okay if he was a little loose with the translation to add in some Americanisms, which they said okay to.

They liked his revisions so much they changed the original script to include them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Anatharon posted:

The company that translated Fire Emblem Awakening also did Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. Apparently one of the guys at 8-4 (The translators) asked Platinum if it'd be okay if he was a little loose with the translation to add in some Americanisms, which they said okay to.

They liked his revisions so much they changed the original script to include them.

According to Legends of Localization the Ninja Turtle references when you fight in the sewers are in the Japanese version but the "take a DOOMP" joke is different and George speaks normally.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Twitch posted:

I pretty much only play in single-player mode in Dragonball Xenoverse, so it took until just now to realize there are 40 different emotes, all of which are taken from Dragonball Z. Including both sides of the fusion dance, Goku's two-fingered salute, and all of the different Ginyu Force poses.

If you want to punch things, level up, and play dress-up with your Dragonball fan fiction character, I cannot recommend this game enough.

Also you can use Ghost Nappa as the voice.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I think I heard those are in the US version.

Some might be, but I've seen a bunch of situations where, for example, I'll read a script online for a support conversation from Gaius where he says "candy", then I'll view it in my game and it'll read "sweets" instead.

e: and that's not to say I dislike the American script, 8-4's fantastic localisation job is another little touch.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Also you can use Ghost Nappa as the voice.

Is it just the same guy or is it literally Ghost Nappa's voice?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AlphaKretin posted:

Actually speaking of Euro/Aus releases, another little touch I love is in Fire Emblem Awakening. FE games (actually, come to think of it, a lot of Nintendo games) often have inconsequential changes to proper nouns when they get released here, I think it's for the benefit of other languages(?)

My apologies since this isn't game-related (and I don't have anywhere else to mention this), but this also happened with the 80s release of Astro Boy. I'm in Canada, and when the series first aired here, Astro's doctor friend was named Dr Peabody.

I got the U.S. version on DVD a few years ago, and apparently his name is Dr Elefun. I have no idea why the change was necessary, but they also redid all of the voiced dialogue, too, between the CDN and U.S. release. I'd love to know the reason.

Edit: Holy poo poo, just googling and I found this:

http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4524

In short, the guy who voiced Astro in Canada talks about his experiences and how he was never credited for the work. Dude also talks about taking the train in from the west island of Montreal every morning which is what I do now :psyduck:

Anyway, sorry for the... derail.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Apr 27, 2015

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Junpei Hyde posted:

Is it just the same guy or is it literally Ghost Nappa's voice?

It's the same guy doing pretty much the same voice. Have a listen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKWxRtn5-Yg

Refrigerapist
Dec 11, 2004

Elfface posted:

It's the same guy doing pretty much the same voice. Have a listen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKWxRtn5-Yg

Here's a time-stamped version of that video https://youtu.be/sKWxRtn5-Yg?t=1066

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
In Assassins Creed: Black Flag there's a special animation for jumping off a building right into a slide. It's small, but I was really surprised when Kenway landed sliding instead of futzing up the jump or just climbing over.

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Apr 28, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Alteisen posted:

In MKX Cassie Cage has a unique fatality where she obliterates her opponents jaw then takes a selfie, the scrolling comments is quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUqgcxtMGKI

A fair warning, for a game full of over the top deaths, I find this one slightly unnerving, I think its the whole "wait they're still alive thing". :stonk:

Oh Jesus, Mileena and Kitana's comments. This is amazing.

e; "Cass, why is Kano on your friends list?" Holy :laffo:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The faction quest for the Vaulters in Endless Legend includes a step where you need to destroy a city. Thoughtfully, they specifically point out that you don't have to do it yourself; you want the city gone, not yours, so it's up to you how you do it. The Drakken have a similar step in their quest, to take a city by any means necessary. Since it's only important that you get the city, they leave it up to you how you go about it. In both cases, it's just a really nice touch that you don't have to go for the most obvious route.

One of the factions has also got my favorite AI in a game for a long time. One of the civs can't wage war, so if he's decided he wants to fight you he instead trolls you as hard as possible diplomatically, trying to make you wage war just to shut him up.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Apr 29, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cleretic posted:

The faction quest for the Vaulters in Endless Legend includes a step where you need to destroy a city. Thoughtfully, they specifically point out that you don't have to do it yourself; you want the city gone, not yours, so it's up to you how you do it. The Drakken have a similar step in their quest, to take a city by any means necessary. Since it's only important that you get the city, they leave it up to you how you go about it. In both cases, it's just a really nice touch that you don't have to go for the most obvious route.

One of the factions has also got my favorite AI in a game for a long time. One of the civs can't wage war, so if he's decided he wants to fight you he instead trolls you as hard as possible diplomatically, trying to make you wage war just to shut him up.

You're talking about the beetle lords, right? gently caress those guys.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

In GTA V one of the heists has you stealing a Harrier jump jet that has an EMP device in its payload and your teammates have jets to defend your escape. Shortly after taking off a butt load of fighter jets come at you. After you kick their asses, on your way to drop off the jump jet, your radio comes on and loving Danger Zone starts to play.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

TontoCorazon posted:

In GTA V one of the heists has you stealing a Harrier jump jet that has an EMP device in its payload and your teammates have jets to defend your escape. Shortly after taking off a butt load of fighter jets come at you. After you kick their asses, on your way to drop off the jump jet, your radio comes on and loving Danger Zone starts to play.

That comes close to when in Saints Row the Third, your character screams out during the mission you get a VTOL "Talk to me, Goose!"

We need more Top Gun references in games, makes things so much better. Like Borderlands 2 and its Top Gun mission.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was looking around for my cat in Story of Seasons and not finding it anywhere. Until I spotted it sleeping on the roof of my chicken coop. :3:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I was looking around for my cat in Story of Seasons and not finding it anywhere. Until I spotted it sleeping on the roof of my chicken coop. :3:

would you recommend Story of Seasons? I play Tale of Two Towns a lot and I love it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

would you recommend Story of Seasons? I play Tale of Two Towns a lot and I love it.

If you generally like Harvest Moon, it's definitely a good addition to the series. They fixed a lot of pacing issues from ToTT and A New Beginning, and some of the general gameplay improvements (you work by plot now, instead of each individual space in a plot) are nice.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Wonderful 101 might have the best QTEs in the world. The last one in the game is "protect earth" and has you button mashing for a longass time. Normally I would take issue with this but the camera cuts to the wonderful 100 halfway through that longass button mash and shows that they're hammering away at their buttons too.

Which might not make sense so here's a clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7urhjRWWU
spoilers I guess but the video gives you absolutely no context

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dirt Rally released a couple days ago on Steam Early Access. If you're a fan of the Dirt series, or rally racing, or racing simulation in general, it's definitely worth getting in on now. However my favourite little thing about it: The default cockpit camera is far back enough that you can just see your toes on the pedals. Your feet will dance around on the pedals as you brake and throttle and change gears. It's something I don't think I've ever seen in a racing game yet and it makes you feel that much more connected to the car.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The way Trevor says 'twat' in GTA5.

Twaht

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Walton Simons posted:

The way Trevor says 'twat' in GTA5.

Twaht

It's an accent! A slight Accent!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

FauxGateau posted:

It's an accent! A slight Accent!

The best, smartest and toughest boy from the Canadian border region of America!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Alteisen posted:

In MKX Cassie Cage has a unique fatality where she obliterates her opponents jaw then takes a selfie, the scrolling comments is quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUqgcxtMGKI

A fair warning, for a game full of over the top deaths, I find this one slightly unnerving, I think its the whole "wait they're still alive thing". :stonk:

"meh probably not even dead"

That's so dumb and so awesome. :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Seeing all the lovely Besaid blitzball members getting recruited for other teams after incur their scrub asses.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I always loved that in the middle of the end of Command and Conquer 1 credits, there's a scene showing the unearthing of a red-and-black artifact showing one guy attacking another with a rock. As a kid I wondered if that thing meant something (at the time I thought it was showing alien stuff), thinking it might be Something Important.

Of course, now I'm surprised that they let that much cleavage show on TV Reporter Lady.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

I always loved that in the middle of the end of Command and Conquer 1 credits, there's a scene showing the unearthing of a red-and-black artifact showing one guy attacking another with a rock. As a kid I wondered if that thing meant something (at the time I thought it was showing alien stuff), thinking it might be Something Important.

Of course, now I'm surprised that they let that much cleavage show on TV Reporter Lady.

I think that was when they were hinting at Kane being the biblical Cain. I have no idea if they ever finished that plot or not, because gently caress if I'm playing C&C4. I remember there were some bits about that in the last level of Renegade.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

Seeing all the lovely Besaid blitzball members getting recruited for other teams after incur their scrub asses.

You're a monster :smith:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think that was when they were hinting at Kane being the biblical Cain. I have no idea if they ever finished that plot or not, because gently caress if I'm playing C&C4. I remember there were some bits about that in the last level of Renegade.

Kane is an alien. At the end of 4 he goes "I have to go now, my planet needs me" and leaves forever.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So many achievements are just "Completed Chapter One," "Completed Chapter Two," "Beat the Game on Normal" that I really appreciate it when games go out of their way to have achievements that serve to reward, in some small way, fun little things that you won't necessarily do throughout the course of the game.

Anyway, my point is that The Sims 4 gave me an achievement called "So... I'll Call You?" for accidentally having my guy piss himself while on a date and I haven't stopped laughing since.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I think he ended up being an alien

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Man, the last level of Renegade was so much fun. The announcements spazzing out, the whole rooms full of the souped up plasma rifle dudes, the run through the temple...good times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You're a monster :smith:

Hey I've played entirely too much goddamn blitzball to get Wakkas poo poo. I was not going to deal with those scrubs. My team might as well just be called the Wedge Dream Team now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Kane is an alien. At the end of 4 he goes "I have to go now, my planet needs me" and leaves forever.

:smith:

theshim posted:

Man, the last level of Renegade was so much fun. The announcements spazzing out, the whole rooms full of the souped up plasma rifle dudes, the run through the temple...good times.

Renegade was great. Running around in what felt like an old-school C&C map and popping in and out of buildings was a :aaaaa: moment back when it came out (almost fifteen years ago holy shitballs I feel old now).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I watched the cinematics instead of spending money on the game, and I found the way they handled it pretty well: Kane is an alien, he's been trapped on Earth for thousands of years, uplifting humanity so that they'd become technologically advanced enough to send him home, away from a place he hasn't wanted to be for a very long time. Kucan plays the desperate loneliness in the linked scene pretty well.
Later on, when he's finally on his way home, he actually has a another :smith: moment watching a human die despite his assumption that he would survive an event, mourning that "You're all so fr... fragile".

gently caress it, the Little Thing in C&C, even in C&C4, is Joe Kucan.

EDIT: Let's continue the C&C stuff with C&C3: I loved how in the Scrin campaign, the AI helping you is the first in line to realize that poo poo Is All hosed Up (because Kane trolled the Scrin into arriving to help with the getting-technology-so-I-can-go-home thing, they arrived with harvesting machines and not war machines), and is increasingly passive-aggressive over orders to continue fighting humans, ultimately 'accidentally' losing connection with HQ.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Apr 30, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It might be good in isolation but considering NOD is a themed after COBRA-style terrorists who go around cackling with glee as they chemical-bomb and death laser their enemies, that's awful characterisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So many achievements are just "Completed Chapter One," "Completed Chapter Two," "Beat the Game on Normal" that I really appreciate it when games go out of their way to have achievements that serve to reward, in some small way, fun little things that you won't necessarily do throughout the course of the game.

Anyway, my point is that The Sims 4 gave me an achievement called "So... I'll Call You?" for accidentally having my guy piss himself while on a date and I haven't stopped laughing since.

That is an awesome achievement. I agree with you about achievements needing to be for out-of-the-ordinary stuff, but holy poo poo, I'm never getting some of those L4D2 ones; the gnome and bridge runs were hard enough.