Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

skasion posted:

Haven't heard of these guys so this may be way off the mark, but try Progenie Terrestrie Pura or possibly Cloak of Altering.

Not they're not that much like them. However Cloak of Altering reminded me of a band I listened to in HS called Genghis Tron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Anyone heard the new Peste Noire yet? Is it any good?

Also Midnight Odyssey have announced they're working on a new album for release in June. No previews yet though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I can't remember the last time I've been as excited for an album as I am for the upcoming Wiegedood album. Both tracks I've heard have absolutely blown me away.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

nomapple posted:

Anyone heard the new Peste Noire yet? Is it any good?

Much like the previous album, it's distinctively Peste Noire. Part indie rock, part folk, part aggressive black metal, all weird, all excellent.

Listen to these two and you'll get the idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2BW_ITaCgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iVRP6YGrsk

bij
Feb 24, 2007

nomapple posted:

Also Midnight Odyssey have announced they're working on a new album for release in June. No previews yet though.

There's one song from the album out, been up for a while. I posted it a while back but here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ev8ntn2lM

I like it, hits all the Midnight Odyssey bases. Space, death, death in space.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Saw Varathron/Horna/Grave Miasma/Tortorum last night. All bands were excellent. Varathron sounded really dark and heavy and absolutely nail their style. Great, imposing stage presence, and Sun of the Moon (Act II) sounded massive. Horna are miles better live than I anticipated, holy poo poo those riffs are danceable! If there hadn't been a Skinhead about 1.5x as tall as me and 3x as wide smashing people down the front, it would have been a lot more fun... Grave Miasma were a lot better than they've been in the past. The sound was spot on. Absolutely crushing set. Tortorum were decent raw black metal, don't really have much else to say. Good robes.

Oh, and Horna's frontman played most of the set completely nude...

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

A couple tracks from "The Holocaust Messiah" by Megiddo (the best band that isn't Ruins or Countess) are up on bandcamp.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Anyone who likes old Greek black metal should check out this demo by Ithaqua, they've completely nailed that sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqX3p-UJ98

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Been enjoying the new Kroda album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GSnozFeZXM. Some pretty solid, though typical pagan black metal. Really love the vocals on this though.

A human heart posted:

Anyone who likes old Greek black metal should check out this demo by Ithaqua, they've completely nailed that sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqX3p-UJ98

This is absolutely incredible. Love the guitar tone. Any other recommendations for similar stuff?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Well there's all the obvious bands from back in the day if you're not familiar with them, Rotting Christ, Necromantia, Varathron, Thou Art Lord, etc. There's a few more modern bands playing the same general style, though not usually quite as similar as that Ithaqua demo, here's some: Empire of the Moon, Katavasia, Macabre Omen. I'm sure you can find more if you trawl through metal archives.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

A human heart posted:

Well there's all the obvious bands from back in the day if you're not familiar with them, Rotting Christ, Necromantia, Varathron, Thou Art Lord, etc. There's a few more modern bands playing the same general style, though not usually quite as similar as that Ithaqua demo, here's some: Empire of the Moon, Katavasia, Macabre Omen. I'm sure you can find more if you trawl through metal archives.

Agatus and Zemial are pretty essential as far as old stuff goes. Would also really recommend Kawir, great Greek pagan BM.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

try it with a lime posted:

A couple tracks from "The Holocaust Messiah" by Megiddo (the best band that isn't Ruins or Countess) are up on bandcamp.

The production sounds a bit tighter and I like the new drum samples he apparently spent the last 13 years looking for but other than that, yeah it is Megiddo. Same as it ever was.

Not that it is a bad thing. Far from it.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I just finished recording and mixing vocals for my band's first black metal EP. Would really appreciate some feedback on this track, especially on the vocals. I took this to Musician's Lounge but no one who replied knew much about black metal so the feedback was all "sounds good but I don't know anything about this genre so ...".

Heavily influenced by Immortal / Gorgoroth etc. I'll be putting out the whole EP in the next few weeks.

https://soundcloud.com/kassad-1/claws/s-wLyQx

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The vocals certainly weren't what I expected but they do fit the music, which is really the important thing.
They aren't overpowering in the mix but still fairly clear, which was presumably the aim with hardcore-style shouty vocals?
I normally prefer the guitars to be a bit more fuzzy (see the Megiddo track up-thread) but that is just personal preference.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone else digging the new Mysticum album? The vocals don't sound quite as awesome as the demon-possessed Gollum ones of In the Streams of Inferno. Still, super groovy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dtqLJwj8wQ

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I just finished recording and mixing vocals for my band's first black metal EP. Would really appreciate some feedback on this track, especially on the vocals. I took this to Musician's Lounge but no one who replied knew much about black metal so the feedback was all "sounds good but I don't know anything about this genre so ...".

Heavily influenced by Immortal / Gorgoroth etc. I'll be putting out the whole EP in the next few weeks.

https://soundcloud.com/kassad-1/claws/s-wLyQx

Your band logo is far too readable.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Nigel Tufnel posted:

black metal EP

I'm not really getting black metal from this per se, but I do really like it! Solid stuff.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 4, 2015

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Nigel Tufnel posted:

The drums being completely absent for two long stretches fragments the song, which is emphasized by the lengthy and two-part nature of each of those sections. Mid-paced drumming, like the breaks in early Gorgoroth, could help provide some sort of dynamic there. The song seems to kind of just wander in, then stops and meanders some more in those breaks. Perhaps consult Judas Iscariot's "Of Great Eternity" on that sort of instrumental break, the second track there is a great example.

Also, it bears little resemblance to black metal to me. Seems more like something in the vein of Integrity and Pulling Teeth with more tremolo riffing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're making a Lords of Chaos movie with the other other Culkin and Caleb Landry Jones, whoever that is. It will probably suck. Bonus angry Necrobutcher quote at the end. Why do first wave black metal dudes hate Swedes so much?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Those guys are probably stupid and are Swedes, so the quote makes perfect sense.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

Potential BFF posted:

There's one song from the album out, been up for a while. I posted it a while back but here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ev8ntn2lM

I like it, hits all the Midnight Odyssey bases. Space, death, death in space.

Make that two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfqZx9jCko

:eyepop:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not a :black101: listener regularly (was years ago) but Midnight Odyssey has gotten me into the ABM stuff, and I'm following the YouTube channel (y'all know the one) that posts ... everything.

Right now I've got on rotation: Midnight Odyssey, The Crevices Below, Agalloch, Blut Aus Nord, Caladan Brood, Drudkh, Mare Cognitum, Progenie Terrestre Pura and Summoning.

Recommendations welcome. I like death, space, death in space, Enya, and music-to-play-Morrowind-to.

Edit: Thanks!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 7, 2015

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

Not a :black101: listener regularly (was years ago) but Midnight Odyssey has gotten me into the ABM stuff, and I'm following the YouTube channel (y'all know the one) that posts ... everything.

Right now I've got on rotation: Midnight Odyssey, The Crevices Below, Agalloch, Blut Aus Nord, Caladan Brood, Drudkh, Mare Cognitum, Progenie Terrestre Pura and Summoning.

Recommendations welcome. I like death, space, death in space, Enya, and music-to-play-Morrowind-to.

Tome of the Unreplenished is a pretty good one-man atmospheric BM band from Cyprus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUZT70xszEA

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Omi-Polari posted:

I got into BM only a few weeks ago, but check these guys out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0FYYBWx0Ps
It's almost like happy BM

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

This might be extremely obvious but you've listened to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss yeah? That album(and Burzum in general) is where most 'atmospheric' black metal bands got their style from and it hasn't really been beaten.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Those are good recommendations.

A human heart posted:

This might be extremely obvious but you've listened to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss yeah? That album(and Burzum in general) is where most 'atmospheric' black metal bands got their style from and it hasn't really been beaten.
Not yet. I was listening to some of the newer synth-pagan Burzum but I just added that one!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

Those are good recommendations.

Not yet. I was listening to some of the newer synth-pagan Burzum but I just added that one!

His new stuff isn't worth bothering with(especially the keyboard poo poo), but everything up to Filosofem is excellent.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Omi-Polari posted:

Early Burzum (type specimen), Paysage d'Hiver, Darkspace, Negura Bunget, Spectral Lore, Urfaust, Ash Borer

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Omi-Polari posted:

Ooh, lots of atmoblack type stuff. My specialty!

Weakling, Wedrujacy Wiatr, Ruins of Beverast, Alda, Wolves in the Throne Room, Battle Dagorath, Carcharoth λ.v, Abigail Williams (mostly the "Becoming" album), Crown of Asteria's "Cycles" EP, Earth and Pillars, Evilfeast, either band named Ered Wethrin, Ephemer, Fell Voices, Fog, Galaktik Cancer Squad, The Great Old Ones, Hellebore, Hermodr, Imperium Dekadenz, Kroda, Krallice, Khors, Alcest, Fen, Lluvia, MGLA, Moon, Panopticon, Petrychor, Surachai, Skyforest, Vattnet Viskar, Verwustung, Vordven, Walknut, Wodensthrone,

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

Spectral Lore, Almagest, and Alrakis.

e: Elderwind too.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 7, 2015

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Omi-Polari posted:

Also do you follow BlackMetalUpdates and Lightfox117?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wooooah that's a lot of ABM. Thanks! Basarabian Hills is killer but it's gonna take time for me to check out the rest.

Blue Wher posted:

Also do you follow BlackMetalUpdates and Lightfox117?
I do now. I was just following Atmospheric Black Metal Albums.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Also reccomending Morowe and Plaga.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Hot drat!

Most of the relevant bands have been listed, but Sun of the Blind is worth checking out for even more atmospheric stuff, it's Zhaaral from Darkspace's side project.

bij fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 7, 2015

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Try Elysian Blaze's early material - levitating the carnal. The last album is pretty good, but it is a very, very long listen.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
There's not enough Walknut in the world.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Unacknowledged posted:

Indeed.

E: Though bands like When Woods Make Graves work in a pinch when you've run out of Walknut

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 7, 2015

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know they're more thrash then black but gently caress yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARujFm3CBY

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Unacknowledged posted:

Could empty-quote this forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

Omi-Polari posted:

Five days late to the party but here are some of my personal favorites;

Galdr, Lunar Aurora, Ygg, Irrwisch, Csejthe, Vemod, Horn, Forest of Fog, Grimlair, Laster, Addaura

Atlas Moth fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 12, 2015