Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Welp, I just scored a massive poorly painted PHR army off ebay. Gonna strip this bitch and then go hog wild.

I'm going to paint my planes like this:

... and may robits like this:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I approve of the Taiidan Republic :v:

And let us know how the stripping, i haven't looked too deep into it but successes seem to vary with hawk resin.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
welcome to the good game crew

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
So having been to Salute (and buying my son a UCM starter) I have to say I'm super excited about Dropfleet Commander especially as it is not at all what I was expecting.

What we know: not a deep space fleet game. It's orbital combat.
Battlefield will be a country/continent miles below the combat, with cities a few inches across.
Lots of emphasis on electronic and sensor warfare- stealth/silent running, jammers etc, but all built seamlessly into stats/ mechanics. Much like DZC and counter measures
Fleets will all have very different feel to each other.
Emphasis on objectives based play. All about getting drop ships and orbital bombardments into position.
Played on 4x4 board
8-12 big ships a side.
Done in 2 hrs for tournament ease.
Will link with DZC in terms of campaign play etc
Models looks amazing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bistromatic posted:

I approve of the Taiidan Republic :v:

And let us know how the stripping, i haven't looked too deep into it but successes seem to vary with hawk resin.

Will do. Also I'm happy you immediately recognized Chris Foss as my inspiration.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Speaking of stripping, today i found out that vallejo airbrush thinner is excellent for stripping, my starsprites look almost factory fresh.

Let them soak for a bit, scrubbed off most of the paint with a toothbrush and gave them a few rounds in a cheapo ultrasonic cleaner.
The paint is gone and the resin seems entirely unimpressed, even the superglue/PU dust filling on some of the wingtips came out unscathed.

Overall it was unintended but not unwelcome. That said, if you're using this stuff for its intended purpose be sure to let your it dry thoroughly before unmasking.

And i like both Homeworld and Chris Foss a lot. (Now someone make a good game with designs inspired by John Berkey)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Just assembled my first DZC model, a Resistance M3 Alexander tank. The level of detail and production quality has me mad at other companies.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What do you guys use for storage? These are some really wonky shapes compared to the standard infantry models I'm used to

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I have a big Infinity bag from battlefoam. the 30mm infantry slots work pretty fine for Scourge tanks and pluck foam for whatever weird shapes the big stuff has

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

signalnoise posted:

What do you guys use for storage? These are some really wonky shapes compared to the standard infantry models I'm used to

KR do specific faction foams/cases. They are really good

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Custom-cut foam transport cases are, as always, the gold standard for transporting minis but I get by with a plastic storage bin stuffed full of bubble-wrapped models. Thankfully, DZC doesn't have many models with delicate protrusions and Hawk's resin is what I'd call "surprisingly resilient".

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Welp. Thanks to the lovable Bulbasuar I've decided to jump into this game. He was kind enough to lend me the two rule books and I've decided that the faction for me is The Resistance . Love their who look and the underdog/impossible odds fluff had me and from what I hear they have some great infantry . Any things that as a newer player I should avoid (ie. traps, newbie mistakes)? Also any cool things I should pickup after the Starter set, because I'm definitely getting the Battle Bus and painting it like the magic school bus from hell.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You should get yourself a proper commander, some command cards, and maybe a cool unit or two to fill out your core army. I hear the biker dudes are good as are Skool Busses. A second starter army box has big cost savings due to transports, but we should probably get some games in before you go hog wild like I did.

We'll need some buildings and a table to play on, though. That's a big one. I want to go crazy with terrain, but won't really be able to until I have a dedicated gaming space. Maybe we can split one of those paper city kits in the interim?

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 29, 2015

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

BULBASAUR posted:

You should get yourself a proper commander, some command cards, and maybe a cool unit or two two fill out your core army. I hear the biker dudes are good as are Skool Busses. A second starter army box has big cost savings due to transports, but we should probably get some games in before you go hog wild like I did.

We'll need some buildings and a table to play on, though. That's a big one. I want to go crazy with terrain, but won't really be able to until I have a dedicated gaming space. Maybe we can split one of those paper city kits?

Got it. I'm in contact with someone on ebay and seeing if they'll sell the resistance set for 45-50ish with expedited shipping , but if not ill have to drop the big bucks on the starter set. Also Id be down for splitting the paper city stuff (after next week would be fine as that is when I get my paycheck).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

The Sisko posted:

Got it. I'm in contact with someone on ebay and seeing if they'll sell the resistance set for 45-50ish with expedited shipping , but if not ill have to drop the big bucks on the starter set. Also Id be down for splitting the paper city stuff (after next week would be fine as that is when I get my paycheck).

There tends to be a trade on ebay of people breaking down the starter boxes and selling off the various bits. You may not need to buy the whole thing if you don't want the models.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

signalnoise posted:

I actually just chuck most of my stuff in little plastic tackle boxes that happen to have compartments just about the right size for a single squad - the plastic and resin minis aren't really heavy enough to chip their own paint jobs if you've got a good coat of sealer on them, and the sculpts and material are nice and solid too.

But then, I also recognize that I'm a bit more blase than most people seem to be about this kind of thing.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Serotonin posted:

KR do specific faction foams/cases. They are really good

I really like my KR case/backpack but there are two gaps in the range which I'm waiting for them to address. They have only produced foam trays for units from the original book, so at the moment you can't get trays for the newer units or anything for Resistance. :(

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Well with as much money as I gave them in the last month, they should be excited to expand their range and include the Resistance.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I just ended up saying gently caress it and bought pick and pluck sabol and portable warfare trays. I'll cut the trays to fit KR cases I guess.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Would anyone in the US be interested in trading the UCM half of the 2P starter to me in exchange for the Scourge half? I want to get the 2P starter but I'm not really interested in keeping the Scourge stuff.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
How are those paper building sets? I see they have 2 of them- ruins and regular. At $35 for a 6x4 table it seems like a hell of a good deal.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
They're definitely the cheapest way to get a table going and i think they're of decent quality but there's one catch: If you don't glue them they don't hold their shape all too well, if you do glue them you can't transport them nearly as easily.

Edit:
I ordered some countersunk M1x5 screws and they arrived today, so now they sit flush. I'm unreasonably pleased by very minor details :v:

Edit2:
Brueckenkops has the clearest photos of the spaCESHIPS i's seen so far http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=140166

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 29, 2015

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The Salute show special (aside from the first-run Avenger minis) was a double-decker Resistance battlebus. I can't wait to see some painted examples hit the net.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

How are those paper building sets? I see they have 2 of them- ruins and regular. At $35 for a 6x4 table it seems like a hell of a good deal.

I have the regular set. It is absolutely fantastic. Im not seeing any wear on mine, but I take good care of them and don't play super regular either. You can also just not glue the top flap of the building so they'll fold back down flat for storage. I want to get the 1x1 ground sections laminated at some point or maybe just glue my favourite side down onto some heavier gauge card stock or maybe even wood. But the buildings are pretty great as-is

I wish there was a 30mm wild west version for Malifaux and scifi for Infinity. Goddamn I've spent way too much on terrain when this could have been an option

TL;DR - Buy your complete table for 35 bucks

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Yeah Dropfleet Commander is real and the models of the UCM ships are pretty awesome. I can't wait to see the PHR ships.

There are a few interviews of Dropfleet commander on youtube. Mechanics wise I love the justification for arbitrary ranges they used for Dropzone Commander and how they justify infinite ranges for Dropfleet commander(ecm and eccm along with ship actions affect how easy it is for the ship to be hit).

The standard map size is supposedly the size of Spain/France so I am eager to pull out large maps of countries to use as terrain.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MisterShine posted:

I wish there was a 30mm wild west version for Malifaux and scifi for Infinity. Goddamn I've spent way too much on terrain when this could have been an option

There's the Moto.tronica set for Infinity. And I think a papercraft version of the stackable cube buildings if you can print your own.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Does anyone base their walkers and stuff? I feel kinda weird not having bases.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Do you plan on magnetizing? If you are actually going to hang your models, don't base them.

If you are not going to do that, there is nothing wrong with basing them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah magnetizing is too much work for me honestly.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

signalnoise posted:

Yeah magnetizing is too much work for me honestly.

Magnetising PHR is actually pretty easy and well worth doing on the arms of the plastic type 1 walkers.

I haven't based mine, they are nice and stable without it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's harder than just buying more poo poo

edit: Are there going to be any times that I'm going to want my tanks and stuff in base to base contact with anything? I'm trying to minimize gameplay impact while adding bases.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 30, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

signalnoise posted:

It's harder than just buying more poo poo

edit: Are there going to be any times that I'm going to want my tanks and stuff in base to base contact with anything? I'm trying to minimize gameplay impact while adding bases.

Occasionally but it isn't a big deal usually. Distances are measured from the centre of the models. Just keep the bases on the small side I guess.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't like the infantry stands so I base my infantry on tiny little disks because I am insane.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Crossposting! We don't have enough model photos!

A Harbinger class Dropship with three magnetized Ravagers.

Here they are on their own, to aid counting.

The UCM have not been forgotten though, with four new Ravans - two are my black Ravens.

These are the spec op's Pretorians that go in them.

Finally, here we have some Woverines, the guns are interchangable, as after two layers of varnish they have a good fit.

Next month/Oath year, something a little more sane!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't like the infantry stands so I base my infantry on tiny little disks because I am insane.

time to post these guys again :smuggo:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Bistromatic posted:

time to post these guys again :smuggo:

That's really cool, what'd you use for the base and how'd you attach the marines?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks, it's 0,5mm acrylic glass and a trim of 1mm black polystyrene made using the CNC mill at work. And for attaching them i just used superglue and let them dry in front of a fan to prevent fogging.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
Aaaaaaactually, there is a gameplay reason not to base your walkers. As per Hawk Wargames, movement is a "if it fits, it's legal" meaning that, not only can your walkers move over enemy tiddlers in the way assuming they can move far enough to have their feet unobstructed on the ground, they can end their move straddling an enemy if they both fit.

PHR type 2 walkers can easily straddle Resistance technicals, and Shaltari big walkers can straddle almost any normal ground vehicle.

Removing or lessening that option with basing would make it that much easier for your opponent to restrict your moment, preventing you getting LoS on a valuable target for instance, or moving into scoring range for focal points.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New newsletter out with a bunch of cool pictures of spaceships. Holy poo poo does everything look nice.

http://hawkwargames.cmail20.com/t/ViewEmail/j/D1E76D160754D4D5/F3AC56C86DECE729F990754F028F0E8F

There's renders of the first wave of infantry too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm /so/ sold on these.

Also is that a PHR lady surfing on a wave of tiny drones in the second infantry pic?