Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

S.T.C.A. posted:

If you can take some screenshots and post them, I'll give some feedback. Too lazy to find examples myself.

Here's one that's primed for raiding but keeos loving me up. I've tried some flanking with Hooka, shutting down the flame thrower with zap to get my guys through to the residences then using the energy to take out the mortar and boom cannon, and I almost get to the point of focusing on the hq but by then the heavies are dead, and there is still too much stuff near the hq for my guys to survive

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

What's your actual landing craft load out, or is that it? And what HQ level are you? Cause you have to upgrade boats if you only have 3, and one with only 4 slots, that's super far behind.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

S.T.C.A. posted:

What's your actual landing craft load out, or is that it? And what HQ level are you? Cause you have to upgrade boats if you only have 3, and one with only 4 slots, that's super far behind.

That's the remnants of my failed attack, I'm HQ 10 with 5 LC 8s, working on getting them up

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Try the same strategy but with riflemen. Shock the flamethrower and tower to get through, focus the mg and mortar then everything else aoe should be out of range.

Also should let us know how much gunboat energy you have.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
You can look at a base a few ways, you want to figure out what type of damage you can avoid the easiest.

If you can avoid alot of the aoe damage then do a rifleman rush.

If you can avoid alot of single target damage do hooka.

Once you get tanks and medics you have alot more options. Once I got them I let my hooka levels slip and I can only do riflemen and tmed reliably now.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
As much as I dislike hooka in everyday raiding I find it hard to stop upgrading because of ops. I'm in a 10 man task force that likes to do the hardest op (within reason) possible and tanks just get melted before they can do much of anything. Only heavies can absorb the damage.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Dimix posted:

Try the same strategy but with riflemen. Shock the flamethrower and tower to get through, focus the mg and mortar then everything else aoe should be out of range.

Also should let us know how much gunboat energy you have.

31, 28 base + 3 from 10% Guardian dark statue

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, I don't think you can hooka that base. He's got a good setup where all cannons and snipers cover the HQ at once against warriors and heavies. Even with rifles, all snipers will be able to hit rifles on HQ, plus enough cannons are there that if you don't position well, the sheer volume of single-target damage is going to wreck your rifles.

That said, I'd go with rifles, just cause positioning is going to win you that map. Be aware of where you absolutely CANNOT move to keep most of your rifles alive; i.e. know mortar, mg, and flamer range from scouting his base first to identify reminders for where you want to flare and where you have to keep your rifles out of. Keeping them alive while they blow poo poo up is key, cause they won't move too far from where you flare once they clump there, so learn how to clump juuuust outside mortar range and how to be aware enough to flare before they target something that causes them to walk into mortar range.

How many barrage and/or arty shots will it take you to kill each defense? E.g. My arty does 5k cause it's maxed, so I 2-shot anything with 10k or less HP. My barrage does like 11k, and a barrage targeted at the center of a building does full damage to that building. This means that I can plan properly for what I can destroy before and/or including targets I blow up.

Also, I think if you deploy to the very bottom of the beach (not in the picture) and rapid-fire deploy all rifles, then flare to the red diamond, you can dodge the flamer; verify the flamer range, but your troops, if already deployed to the corner of the beach, will hug the shortest path to the flare and go through the statues to get to the flare. If you don't think this is possible after checking flamer range, hopefully you can 2-shot the flamer with artillery and still flare there.

Ideally you use that GBE on the right-hand mortar instead, because your next goal is to flare to the yellow diamond (which has to be on the ground and not a building) and after getting some GBE, I'd flare to the HQ and burn it down while I shock stuff (blue circles, 19 total GBE needed for 2 shocks, if you can only do 1 shock use the purple circle e: holy gently caress if you only have 1 shock and are rushing HQ with a flare, ignore the purple circle, shock the MG that will be next to your troops OR flare the MG and medkit your rifles to survive it) to keep my rifles alive.

Your DPS *should* wipe the HQ, but check it in scouting before you launch; do the math off your rifle DPS from the armory compared to his HQ HP to know if you'll kill it before your shockbombs run out or not, and if not, how long you'll need to survive, ish.

If your rifles are sufficiently high in level/you have good TD and/or TH statues, the fight may be a lot easier than you expect. Getting a feel for when you need to flare HQ and burn it down while you shock things, versus when you have to approach HQ slowly by killing defenses first, is something only you can really get a feel for with rifles, and depends heavily on your upgrade and statue status/the actual damage you can deal and withstand.

If your rifles are behind and you have the gold, maybe dump a bit more into them till you get tanks, and even then, rifles will carry you a very, very long way. Tmed is good, but it's a bit till HQ15, and focusing on rifles and landing craft can do a *lot* of work, especially with good statue rolls.

Hopefully that helps a bit!

e: also you will poo poo all over that base once you get HQ11 for tanks, just FYI, so if you can get HQ11, do that

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 10, 2015

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Yeah, my go-to strat is to attack with overwhelming force after a month of upgrades.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Definitely don't let that base slip, that's a good amount of resources at your level.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

3 tank attacks, 3 failures.

i am so bad

soo bad

his poo poo is a bit stronger now though I think

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Shock is also very strong with tanks. Tanks and cannons have the same range, so you could take stuff out in front of them safely. Then shock the cannon and flare it to quickly take it out.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

guess ill join goons in this loving game too.... look out for my invite

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

So my strategy has been to make all life statues, stay low honor points and own as many resource base as possible. Staying low level will make it harder for people to take over resource base and also people from destroying hq. Is this a good strategy? I'm hq13 and half my shot is fully upgraded. I wait to upgrade hq after everything else is explored or upgraded

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

You're in the slums as far as farming goes, so if it's working for you then go nuts. Once you get past hq15 I found massing resource reward statues and going heavy on offence let me get resources for the big upgrades in one short raiding session. Certainly faster at that point than relying on passive income.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Ephphatha posted:

You're in the slums as far as farming goes, so if it's working for you then go nuts. Once you get past hq15 I found massing resource reward statues and going heavy on offence let me get resources for the big upgrades in one short raiding session. Certainly faster at that point than relying on passive income.

Good point. I know at some point I'm going to have to cut my teeth on stealing poo poo from scrubs. Seems like lvl 15 is that magic number for that

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

The game is really loving terrible between th12 and th15. It slows down so much between those two places. Save all the statue powder you get until much later in the game (post hq15). Logging in and checking the map a few times to the day got me to about 800 gems which allowed me to say gently caress it and spend them all on hq15 which was a good move. Now a few weeks later back up to 200 free gems. Also, I do no think the OP and VP boats stack, so collect those before the next one will show. Additionally the boats from the villages cap out on resources which I did not realize (I think it is like 12-24 hours) so collect them relatively often.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

mephology posted:

The game is really loving terrible between th12 and th15. It slows down so much between those two places. Save all the statue powder you get until much later in the game (post hq15). Logging in and checking the map a few times to the day got me to about 800 gems which allowed me to say gently caress it and spend them all on hq15 which was a good move. Now a few weeks later back up to 200 free gems. Also, I do no think the OP and VP boats stack, so collect those before the next one will show. Additionally the boats from the villages cap out on resources which I did not realize (I think it is like 12-24 hours) so collect them relatively often.

right now im just trying to figure out to defend against the bomb dudes.. their range is redic and seem way to OP. wonder if i need to put everything on beach to over power them

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Getting to HQ15 is a goddamn nightmare. I'm getting raided so often, I can never get closed to getting the amount of resources I need.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
imo i dont even pay attention to raids anymore

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
You're going to get mowed down the majority of the time. What you want to do is maximize the amount of gems you get from killing units.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Putty posted:

imo i dont even pay attention to raids anymore

Their ok. Just gives something else to do while trying to take a poo poo.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Dimix posted:

You're going to get mowed down the majority of the time. What you want to do is maximize the amount of gems you get from killing units.

I just got mowed down by an all rifle army and really put a lot of thought into base design... Seems like your wisdom holds true.

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007
So this happened:

29 attacks in under 1.5 hrs with only one not rewarding diamonds with 99 diamonds total. Thanks random bad player. :wotwot:

I need to do some math to figure out how many dollars he spent to do this.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
please don't say the lord's name in vain, its offensive to my religion

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Your religion triggers my atheism greatly. :goonsay:

I wonder how much your base was worth to him. How much GBE did he have? I want to watch those replays.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Can you ever change who you fight for resource bases?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, you can reroll resource bases after a while. Gets you a completely new set of defenses most of the time as well.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
How come some of my resource bases never get attacked and some get raided all the time? I have a few level 10-15 bases that just sit there invincible, while my level 45+ ones constantly get raided.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."

mephology posted:

Also, I do no think the OP and VP boats stack, so collect those before the next one will show.

I am not sure I know what you mean by 'stack' in this case, but you most certainly can have the op reward boat and vp reward boat chillin' in your harbor at the same time. They are two seperate boats. But if you don't collect the current op boat by the time the next op boat shows up, you will indeed miss out on the former reward. Same with the vp boat.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

How come some of my resource bases never get attacked and some get raided all the time? I have a few level 10-15 bases that just sit there invincible, while my level 45+ ones constantly get raided.

Think you get 1-2 of each that are free and never get attacked.

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

RennZero posted:

I am not sure I know what you mean by 'stack' in this case, but you most certainly can have the op reward boat and vp reward boat chillin' in your harbor at the same time. They are two seperate boats. But if you don't collect the current op boat by the time the next op boat shows up, you will indeed miss out on the former reward. Same with the vp boat.

Meant exactly what you described, sorry that was not clear.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

RVT posted:

Think you get 1-2 of each that are free and never get attacked.

This plus with low level bases you're more likely to get paired with someone that will quit and give you a free uncontested base.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
So, which of the goon clans is most active currently? I'm in a pretty terrible pubbie task force, and we haven't had an op in nearly 5 days.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Anderron Shi posted:

So, which of the goon clans is most active currently? I'm in a pretty terrible pubbie task force, and we haven't had an op in nearly 5 days.

Can't speak for the others, but Boat Pirates does an op every 2-3 days when we have enough intel.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Anderron Shi posted:

Goonfleet is also active.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Phelddagrif posted:

Can't speak for the others, but Boat Pirates does an op every 2-3 days when we have enough intel.

Joined boat pirates, goonfleet was full...question: why is boat pirates capped at 25 members?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Probably in an attempt to get better op rewards. Not sure if it's been confirmed but the suspicion is that if a 25 cap fleet and a 50 cap fleet do the same operation they both get the same bases (ie there's no difficulty scaling) but the 25 cap fleet will get better rewards to compensate for the relative difficulty of doing an op with half the peeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Ephphatha posted:

Probably in an attempt to get better op rewards. Not sure if it's been confirmed but the suspicion is that if a 25 cap fleet and a 50 cap fleet do the same operation they both get the same bases (ie there's no difficulty scaling) but the 25 cap fleet will get better rewards to compensate for the relative difficulty of doing an op with half the peeps.

Sounds pretty hardcore.

• Locked thread