Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

NASCAR itself brings more negativity to the ad offering than Danica can offset with looks and name recognition.

Smart move by GoDaddy, which is a company dumb enough to stomp all over its customers whenever they panic. Even they can see how Brian's crumbling empire isn't worth being a part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jeff Gordon will do the Indy/Charlotte double in 2015.

...as the pace car driver for the 500.

e- Back to Danica. The Brand lives:

quote:

"Maybe there's something out there that will be new and fresh, maybe reach a new demographic that both markets me and builds my brand," Patrick told the Associated Press. "I've always encouraged my partners to use my platform to build their brand, and this is maybe an opportunity for something new."

See? You need ME! You need to come sponsor ME because My Brand will help yours! Don't you want to be associated with Danica PatrickTM? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 29, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

There's IndyCar fans that are actually offended at this.

I'm not kidding.

No I am not one of them, good for Jeff. :unsmith:. Would have been nice if he would have given a Dallara a spin during his career or one day though.

CBJSprague24 posted:

See? You need ME! You need to come sponsor ME because My Brand will help yours! Don't you want to be associated with Danica PatrickTM? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

I hope we see her in Formula 1, just for pure comedy.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Holy poo poo shut up with this, this is literally every driver.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
If anything I give Danica credit for at least being transparent about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

kidcoelacanth posted:

Holy poo poo shut up with this, this is literally every driver.

its no less retarded

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm not kidding.

No I am not one of them, good for Jeff. :unsmith:. Would have been nice if he would have given a Dallara a spin during his career or one day though.

I hope we see her in Formula 1, just for pure comedy.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ran it next year

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

sportsgenius86 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he ran it next year

Not with his shameful back

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Muddy Burphy posted:

Not with his shameful back

He's got young kids now too.

Don't think he'd want to risk such a thing. Would be awesome, but yeah, I just can't see it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- Back to Danica. The Brand lives:

Dammit CBJ the first sentence of your post made my heart drop a little bit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"reach a more globally-diverse set of customers."
lol

edit: I can just see Brian France, "no don't go we got one of them indians used to drive in nascar, not one of them poor feather indians one of the rich dot ones!! And we got a black guy, well half black, in the trucks!!!"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Peanut President posted:

"reach a more globally-diverse set of customers."
lol

edit: I can just see Brian France, "no don't go we got one of them indians used to drive in nascar, not one of them poor feather indians one of the rich dot ones!! And we got a black guy, well half black, in the trucks!!!"

Damnit, I read this picturing Brian France speaking with an exaggerated version of Peanut's accent. :lol:

"We use-ta have one of those Eye-talians but he didn't run too good so he got replaced by Casey Mears. Plus, we had a Mexican that run the Formula 1 cars in Europe and a guy from Austria who done good on road courses but they're not here anym...they still run, yeah! And we run races in Mexico and almost had two races in Canada, but we ain't runnin' Montreal no more 'cuz the promoters wanted us to run two races in one day and we said no."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

go3 posted:

its no less retarded

blame Richard Petty

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm not kidding.

This has me thinking: What have been some bad pacecars in NASCAR?
Remember the Lindsay Lohan Herbie pacecar? Or the Hendrick Transformers pacecars? (They were Jeff Gordon/Jimmie Johnson cars but half-transformed into some Michael Bay monstrosities.)

If one of you says the one from the Batman Begins 400 I'll cut you.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

shadow puppet of a posted:

NASCAR itself brings more negativity to the ad offering than Danica can offset with looks and name recognition.

Smart move by GoDaddy, which is a company dumb enough to stomp all over its customers whenever they panic. Even they can see how Brian's crumbling empire isn't worth being a part of.

Yep, Godaddy is leaving the trainwreck that is NASCAR, they are not leaving Danica.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Harveygod posted:

Remember the Lindsay Lohan Herbie pacecar? Or the Hendrick Transformers pacecars? (They were Jeff Gordon/Jimmie Johnson cars but half-transformed into some Michael Bay monstrosities.)

Paul Blart led a K&N field on a Segway at Irwindale once so there's really not a debate here.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

gently caress it, fire Danica for the next driver with a sponsor that comes along.

I, for one, look forward to the #10 Allegiant Air Chevrolet.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Boomer The Cannon posted:

gently caress it, fire Danica for the next driver with a sponsor that comes along.

I, for one, look forward to the #10 Allegiant Air Chevrolet.

Clicking on the #10 icon on the NASCAR.com store to buy a hat would just direct us to a picture of a middle finger.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Harveygod posted:

The Tumbler owned during that race. Best pace car (well, except it was a parade car but still it ruled seeing the Batmobile take a lap)

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 29, 2015

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Bingo's open for Talladega. Please note the narrow window for signups, which closes Friday at 11:59 PM CDT.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701539

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.change.org/p/ims-indian...ogle-custom_msg

This has to be a parody, right? No one can be this...what's the word...I'm looking for.

Jesus christ IndyCar fans....Even I think you guys look like morons for this

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Dear Joe Gibbs Racing:

You just don't learn, do you?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Eh, it's only temporary and then it goes back to being Kyle. It's not the same as giving the ride to Joey

Also they gave a ride to a really green Denny Hamlin and that worked out pretty well.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I actually assumed you were referring to J.J. Yeley. That guy was awful. Like, sub-ARCA awful.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

he was trash this I can confirm

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Jason Leffler was worse, Until he died I could of sworn him and Yeley were the same person.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
holy gently caress was he bad in the Outlaws

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Sporting News says signs point to Jeff Gordon in the booth for Sprint Cup races next season. Question is "Which network?", but seeing as he's already moonlighting with FOX for some NXS races...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...dcast-announcer

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The most important news this week:

https://twitter.com/NickSportsTV/status/593905463055523840

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

NASCARcasm has fun with Photoshop:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/gallery/2015/4/30/nascarcasm-xfinity-series-drivers-breakout-role-sprint-cup.html#truex-dale

Michael McDowell, Casey Mears, and Brett Moffitt are going to be so confused when they get some sort of payment for diecast sales.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

holy gently caress was he bad in the Outlaws
which one, or yes to both?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Dear Joe Gibbs Racing:

You just don't learn, do you?

Jones is coming in with completely different expectations than Logano, and it's only a fill-in gig. Even if he doesn't set the world on fire he'll be fine.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

holy loving lol

which one, or yes to both?

Leffler

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Couldn't get his head into it.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Regarding Danica; is it possible that Stewart simply pulls the plug? Stewart was never a proponent for going to a four car team, I remember him saying that he felt like it would spread the organization too thin. Ironically, in that time, Harvick has been great, but Busch, and especially Stewart, have struggled. With big sponsors drying up and the sport costing more than ever, could it make financial and strategic sense to cut bait with Patrick? The GoDaddy money hasn't made the organization stronger (as a whole) it seems, and she herself is not setting the world on fire. It would be one thing if she was beginning to show real strides, but it seems like she's just beginning to learn how to be an average driver...not exactly high praise. I think Stewart could easily argue that it makes sense to consolidate the 14 and the 10 into one team, securing the 10s smaller sponsors, and redistributing that money among the three teams. There just doesn't seem to be enough resources (people and money wise) to go around to all four teams.

Danica is a tricky driver. She brings in big sponsorships (a good thing) for a team, but doesn't get any results (a real bad thing). Eventually, like any athlete, you need to have results or else your brand will take a hit. Danica may have great name recognition, but how many times does she have to finish 15th-25th before a sponsor begins to question the $30 million price tag? While she'll find another ride if she doesn't stay at Stewart/Haas, I doubt she'll get a better ride. If her best performance in top of the line equipment is an occasional top 10 then what will she do a MWR, or RCR, or Ganassi, or Roush? I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they discuss the return on investment with her. It could be positive, it could be negative, but trying to find the line will be tough.

I don't have anything against Danica, it would be intriguing as hell to see her win. But a lot of money is wrapped up in her and she has shown very little for it. If she were half as popular and half as expensive she would be a forgotten mid-tier driver. A top 15 would be a good day for her team as they fought to establish themselves. But because it's DANICA the expectations go through the roof and she simply can't deliver.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

The Top Gun one is unbelievably perfect.

quote:

Michael McDowell, Casey Mears, and Brett Moffitt are going to be so confused when they get some sort of payment for diecast sales.

I was just gonna say, that's the most eclectic group I've seen for a special paint scheme promo since those "Operation Desert Support" cars they did in 1991 and again in 2000. Check out the '91 group - five single-car teams, including three owner-drivers (Marcis, Baker, Kulwicki)!

Harry J
Nov 8, 2004

LS-WHAT???!!!!????!!!!

VikingSkull posted:

holy loving lol

I mean, god drat.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

SpitztheGreat posted:

Regarding Danica; is it possible that Stewart simply pulls the plug? Stewart was never a proponent for going to a four car team, I remember him saying that he felt like it would spread the organization too thin. Ironically, in that time, Harvick has been great, but Busch, and especially Stewart, have struggled. With big sponsors drying up and the sport costing more than ever, could it make financial and strategic sense to cut bait with Patrick? The GoDaddy money hasn't made the organization stronger (as a whole) it seems, and she herself is not setting the world on fire. It would be one thing if she was beginning to show real strides, but it seems like she's just beginning to learn how to be an average driver...not exactly high praise. I think Stewart could easily argue that it makes sense to consolidate the 14 and the 10 into one team, securing the 10s smaller sponsors, and redistributing that money among the three teams. There just doesn't seem to be enough resources (people and money wise) to go around to all four teams.

Danica is a tricky driver. She brings in big sponsorships (a good thing) for a team, but doesn't get any results (a real bad thing). Eventually, like any athlete, you need to have results or else your brand will take a hit. Danica may have great name recognition, but how many times does she have to finish 15th-25th before a sponsor begins to question the $30 million price tag? While she'll find another ride if she doesn't stay at Stewart/Haas, I doubt she'll get a better ride. If her best performance in top of the line equipment is an occasional top 10 then what will she do a MWR, or RCR, or Ganassi, or Roush? I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they discuss the return on investment with her. It could be positive, it could be negative, but trying to find the line will be tough.

I don't have anything against Danica, it would be intriguing as hell to see her win. But a lot of money is wrapped up in her and she has shown very little for it. If she were half as popular and half as expensive she would be a forgotten mid-tier driver. A top 15 would be a good day for her team as they fought to establish themselves. But because it's DANICA the expectations go through the roof and she simply can't deliver.

Danica is 14 spots higher than Stewart in the points right now.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Muddy Burphy posted:

Danica is 14 spots higher than Stewart in the points right now.

This is a fact that depresses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SpitztheGreat posted:

This is going to be intriguing as hell to watch play out. Keep in mind, though, SHR expanded to four cars because Gene Haas wanted Kurt Busch badly enough and was willing to pay out of pocket to make it happen. Harvick has been arguably the best driver in the sport, Busch is improving quickly, while Danica has gone from "Bad" to "Mediocre" and Smoke is struggling massively.

I'm sure she'll be able to find sponsors who want to associate with "the brand", but I don't know if there's anybody who will pony up $20M for a full season ever again (which reflects as much on NASCAR as it does her). I know I poo poo on her for almost treating "my brand" as a sentient being she wants to nurture like a child, but she does seem to be incredibly business savvy and intelligent in general. I'd imagine she's about to be introduced to "how the rest of the world lives" in NASCAR- that is, piecemeal, partial-season sponsorships. And that itself is interesting- is there enough brand power in "Danica Patrick" to justify spending money on a mid-pack driver if she continues to perform like she has? I think it's possible, especially since she's one of several examples of "sponsoring someone for who they are as opposed to how they run". America hasn't been introduced to the possibility of Johanna Long as the alternative for "female driver in the top levels of NASCAR", and there's probably still some value in that in Danica's corner.

If she's ever going to win, it's probably going to be on a plate track, but even then she hasn't set the world on fire on those tracks lately.

Looking at the sponsors who fill primary roles on SHR cars, I don't see anybody not accounted for on another car who might be willing to pony up big money for The Danica Patrick Experience (unless Smoke sacrifices a couple from his car or something):
-Bass Pro Shops- Stewart's primary.
-Mobil 1- Stewart's secondary, but it could be possible.
-Bud- Harvick's show
-Jimmy John's- Harvick's other sponsor
-Haas Automation- The reason Kurt Busch is at SHR
-Rush Truck Centers- several races a year on the 14
-Code 3 Associates- several races a year on the 14
-Aspen Dental- handful with Danica
-Outback- several races on the 4
-State Water Heaters- handful with Kurt
-Hunt Brothers Pizza- they're on the 4, aren't they?
-Ditech- Harvick
-TaxAct- Couple races with Danica

Here's the full list:
http://stewarthaasracing.com/partners/

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 1, 2015

• Locked thread