Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Work on ultimate weapons, grind a little bit in Omega Ruins, get all the summons, then focus on one eye and eventually burning through all the monster arena. By the time you can beat some of the medium arena monsters, you'll be able to take out the easier dark aeons. Eventually you'll hit the harder arena monsters and arena super bosses.

Oh and focus on getting customized tetra armor on at least one or two people. Auto-haste, auto-protect, and auto-Phoenix will get you through a lot of tough fights.

Right now il at the point where I just have to beat the dark aeons and take a stab at Penance. So much farming. I really wish they let you buy regular orbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
You should absolutely be able to get Anima and Magus Sisters with where you are in the game now, the boss guarding Baaj Temple is really easy, especially if you equip your party members with Evade & Counter. Even if you don't, wearing Stone Ward/Stoneproof armor and Death Ward/Deathproof nullify or help out with its nastier attacks.

Same with Magus Sisters, all it requires is the Blossom Crown (catch one of each fiend on Mt. Gagazet) and the Flower Scepter (beat all of Belgemine's aeons, this includes Anima and Yojimbo), then go to the back of Remiem Temple and you've got them.

If you're going to grind, the best way is the Don Tonberry trick, get the characters you want to grind weapons with Overdrive > AP and any AP boosting abilities you can put on it. Put their Overdrive mode in Comrade, and have the last character with their Overdrive in Stoic, and make sure they have lots of enemy kills (the more enemies they've killed, the higher Karma's damage is). Have the Stoic character attack and get countered with Karma, revive and keep repeating until Don Tonberry gets close enough that he starts stabbing your party members, then make sure everyone's alive and flee the battle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only Dark Aeon that's guarding anything you might need is Dark Valefor and you can just use Yojimbo, pay him tons of money and hope he instant kills it if you don't want to grind for hours.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Eh, Dark Shiva is also guarding Macalania if they missed the Destruction Sphere chest there (needed for Anima), and Dark Bahamut if they missed the Sun Crest chest after beating Yunalesca. But the strategy for them is the same, Grand Summon Yojimbo and pay him tons of money, hope he uses Zanmato.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

They make all their money on pachinko machines.

And fitness clubs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sakurazuka posted:

The only Dark Aeon that's guarding anything you might need is Dark Valefor and you can just use Yojimbo, pay him tons of money and hope he instant kills it if you don't want to grind for hours.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh, Dark Shiva is also guarding Macalania if they missed the Destruction Sphere chest there (needed for Anima), and Dark Bahamut if they missed the Sun Crest chest after beating Yunalesca. But the strategy for them is the same, Grand Summon Yojimbo and pay him tons of money, hope he uses Zanmato.

I did indeed miss the destruction spheres :negative: I guess I'll try the Yojimbo trick then because I can't even make a dent in Valefors hp before it overdrives on me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

And fitness clubs.

I'm glad I don't live in Japan. I'd be reminded of dead game series everywhere I went.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

I did indeed miss the destruction spheres :negative: I guess I'll try the Yojimbo trick then because I can't even make a dent in Valefors hp before it overdrives on me.

I grand summoned Yojimbo and gave him 100,000 Gil and he promptly murdered Dark Valefor. Thanks guys if I would have known it was that easy I would have been done with that fight like...a week ago.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man the 2 times I used Yojimbo in my last play through, (One of the dark aeons + Penance because I'm lame) 6,000 gil was enough to get Zanmato first try both times

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Help Im Alive posted:

Man the 2 times I used Yojimbo in my last play through, (One of the dark aeons + Penance because I'm lame) 6,000 gil was enough to get Zanmato first try both times

I just spent a bunch because the FAQs for triggering zanmato make it sound like you need to spend millions to make it happen reliably and I was over that drat aeon.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The other thing is before you go crazy leveling with Don Tonberry, make sure you can kill Kottos in the arena fairly easily - using distillers/extractions on him is how you actually get the mass quantities of orbs you are going to need to actually do anything with all the sphere levels you will be earning.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zanmato uses this crazy formula to work out the likelihood of it occurring versus how much you spend and it's possible to game it for the minimum amount of money, but it seemed like way too much work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sakurazuka posted:

Zanmato uses this crazy formula to work out the likelihood of it occurring versus how much you spend and it's possible to game it for the minimum amount of money, but it seemed like way too much work.

That was what I thought. I debated actually doing the math but just dumping gil into it seemed like a better call

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Also, until you get auto-haste and quick-hit, you can absolutely chump most of the arena monsters with stat spheres just using Anima's overdrive if Yuna has enough strength. It's also what got me through Dark Valefor without too much trouble.

I also used a slightly different Don Tonberry strategy where I had two characters use comrade and one be a sacrificial lamb with stoic. One of the comrade characters would also have auto-phoenix if possible to just keep the lamb going. After 5 or so attacks, everyone would max out on orb levels. But I mean, at that point, whatever you're doing is going to be pretty quick if you have triple AP + overdrive->AP + (if possible) double or triple overdrive.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gimmicking Yojimbo seems like a lot of time and effort but once you realize how badass his whole design and animation is it becomes worth it real quick. just pay him 2 gold every turn and use him in every battle imo

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
yojimbo is the best

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
yeah he pretty much steamrolls any random encounter you don't feel like fighting even without zanmato, he's great

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Renoistic posted:

Funniest part of the video was how they thought it strange how Europeans could want a female party member but at the same time complain about the mechanic in a stripper's outfit. Tabata's and the design teamn's explanation about her design was hilarious, too. Apparently the design team put too much of their "hearts and souls" into Cidney, and she's not supposed to be a 'sexy' character. I really enjoy how open Tabata and the team are about the development though and wish more companies would do this.

Maybe her outfit is an accurate representation of her character. I'm calling for an achievement called 'Team Bicycle' if that's the case.

Sunning posted:

I remember when Square-Enix took out vocals for a song in a FFXIII-2 song for the North American/European release because a journalist at the e3 showing didn't like it. They're trying very hard not repeat FFXIII's mistakes in the design of newer titles. However, the problems with FFXIII and the Final Fantasy series itself for the last decade have been management issues rather than just problems with the game's designs. The individual development teams that did good work in the past have had a difficult time adapting to HD game development and productions involving multiple teams.

It might be the same in North America and Europe in a few years. A lot of children will grow up playing freemium mobile games where you Match-3/tap to win/guide the endless runner. Publishers and developers will start paying more and more attention to their tastes and purchasing habits. Likewise, people who grew up in an environment where gaming on consoles was the norm will eventually decline. We're already seeing this through many children and adolescents gravitating towards games like Minecraft and League of Legends or making Draven the winner in the Gamefaqs Character Battle over Link and Cloud.

Who the gently caress is Draven?

Zaphod42 posted:

This sounds so cool but I remember all the promises that the WHITE ENGINE made, and then when XIII came out... :v:

At first I thought it was just really good CG crying so I was gonna say that's not so bad, but no, its real-time. They are indeed pushing even harder on the graphics front in ways they really don't need to. Welp.

Its kinda like Dark Souls mixed with Pokemon.

So yeah, its definitely niche. But man is it so good if you're into that niche.

It's r&d, and it's entirely reasonable as a long term goal to try to eliminate he need for render farms for high quality CG. Just think, if they hadn't dumped all that money into the pre-rendered CG on XIII and could have instead done it real-time, they could have edited it much more easily to make sense in the context of the overall game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Who the gently caress is Draven?

A quick googling indicates that he's a LoL character who happens to be a ripoff of Marvel's Kraven the Hunter.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
A lot of people seem to loathe the iOS ports of FF5 and FF6... but personally, I'm really enjoying them. It helps that 5 and 6 are two of the very best games in the series. What's super cool is they have an iCloud feature, so I can play on my iPad at home, upload my save to the cloud, and continue on my phone at work.

I think that 5, 6 and 7 are among the most enjoyable single player FFs simply because of the customization systems they have. The job system in 5, along with magicite and materia in 6/7 is just fun to mess with. I'm also pretty fond of 9, 11 and 14.

Also, Theatrhythm Curtain Call is super fun.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think people mainly dislike the iOS ports because they're super ugly

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the fact that everybody loving loves FF5 and 6, as games, is why they hate the iOS ports so much. It's particularly egregious with 6, which is easily one of the most aesthetically perfect sprite-based games of the 16-bit generation, if not all time.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
What I continue to not get with the iOS ports is why SE of all companies publishes games that use the same lovely default font every crappy "I made my first game" developer uses on the app store. I know that they farmed the ports out but they still had to put their stamp of approval on those things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

What I continue to not get with the iOS ports is why SE of all companies publishes games that use the same lovely default font every crappy "I made my first game" developer uses on the app store. I know that they farmed the ports out but they still had to put their stamp of approval on those things.

I assume it being a clear easily-readable font on pretty much every device makes it an easy choice for lazy developers.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm going to shock everyone here by saying that the new character sprites in the iOS games actually look... pretty okay to me. They look a lot like the official artwork for the characters...

Now, granted, the changes to the world map are pretty bad. The 3D modeled buildings look kinda of poo poo and out of place when everything else is mode 7 and flat. If they were going to model the towns and castles in 3D, they should have done the same for the surrounding trees and mountains.

I think the main advantage to 5 and 6 on iOS is that I always have my phone on me and can play them anywhere. I'm not going to bring a handheld system wherever I go, and I never did.

I just wish the iOS version of 4 was based on the PSP version instead of the DS one. I just don't like the DS versions of 3 and 4 to be honest.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

6, which is easily one of the most aesthetically perfect sprite-based games of the 16-bit generation, if not all time.

Whoa, this is kind of a tough sell with Chrono Trigger in the running.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Whoa, this is kind of a tough sell with Chrono Trigger in the running.
"one of"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm going to shock everyone here by saying that the new character sprites in the iOS games actually look... pretty okay to me. They look a lot like the official artwork for the characters...

My problem is how oddly out ot place they look, next to all the nicely redrawn backgrounds and monster art, and I think it's the weird flat profile everyone has.

Compare:

Like they just drew one leg and thought "Ah...gently caress it, I don't care"

Here's a quick'n'dirty edit:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 2, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, Theatrhythm Curtain Call is super fun.

It's super fun until you get to Ultimate scores which are dumb and unfun because yeah giving me six touch triggers with a slide trigger in the middle of them with less than two seconds to hit them all is totally fair. I can sometimes survive an Ultimate score and I've even S-ranked a couple but it's way too ridiculous and stressful to be anything but a pain in the rear end. I've resigned myself to using LevelDown Nuts in the Quest Medleys because once you get chaos maps over level 50 or so they start throwing tons of Ultimate scores at you, and there just aren't enough Fortune Spheres to keep knocking them down to Experts.

I mean I'm not going to say Ultimate scores shouldn't exist, I'm totally fine with them existing for the crazy people who somehow find them fun but forcing them on people in quest maps is really lovely, or at the very least keep the Ultimate scores for the level 99 or even 90+ maps, that'd be fine too, but not at loving 50.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

git gud

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's super fun until you get to Ultimate scores which are dumb and unfun because yeah giving me six touch triggers with a slide trigger in the middle of them with less than two seconds to hit them all is totally fair. I can sometimes survive an Ultimate score and I've even S-ranked a couple but it's way too ridiculous and stressful to be anything but a pain in the rear end. I've resigned myself to using LevelDown Nuts in the Quest Medleys because once you get chaos maps over level 50 or so they start throwing tons of Ultimate scores at you, and there just aren't enough Fortune Spheres to keep knocking them down to Experts.

I mean I'm not going to say Ultimate scores shouldn't exist, I'm totally fine with them existing for the crazy people who somehow find them fun but forcing them on people in quest maps is really lovely, or at the very least keep the Ultimate scores for the level 99 or even 90+ maps, that'd be fine too, but not at loving 50.

I dunno eventually only Ultimate becomes fun to me. Now when I get expert maps it's just a bore. The main issue is that Ultimate maps have a huge variance in difficulty, and no way to know if you're getting one of the impossible ones.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess difficulty in rhythm games must be kind of a tricky thing to balance. I play a lot of them and even though the highest difficulty in these things is usually too much for me, it feels like there should be something harder than Ultimate in Theatrhythm. Even the hardest songs like Force Your Way aren't that bad with a little practice. Anything below Ultimate feels like a joke

(Then I get wrecked on the hardest difficulty of the Hatsune Miku games)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess difficulty in rhythm games must be kind of a tricky thing to balance. I play a lot of them and even though the highest difficulty in these things is usually too much for me, it feels like there should be something harder than Ultimate in Theatrhythm. Even the hardest songs like Force Your Way aren't that bad with a little practice. Anything below Ultimate feels like a joke

(Then I get wrecked on the hardest difficulty of the Hatsune Miku games)

Some of the DLC is harder. Again, there's no way to know that until you buy it or someone tells you.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I dunno eventually only Ultimate becomes fun to me. Now when I get expert maps it's just a bore. The main issue is that Ultimate maps have a huge variance in difficulty, and no way to know if you're getting one of the impossible ones.

Yeah Ultimate seems to be a crapshoot, I've played some Ultimate scores that I went "Huh that wasn't that bad" and some that are "Holy gently caress how the hell is a human being supposed to be able to do this?" I've also noticed that field music tends to be easier for me on Ultimate than battle music. That might have something to do with tempo or something musical, in that field themes tend to be slower than stuff like Force Your Way.

It also may be that I pretty much exclusively play with the stylus. I can see how Force Your Way might be way easier with buttons.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I moved to buttons because Ultimate + stylus was starting to give me very painful hand cramps for some reason. I can't say one is more fun than the other but it does feel like buttons are slightly easier once you get used to analog slides.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've always found stylus the way to go for Ultimates, but then I've never had any kind of hand cramps or anything. I think it really boils down to preference and practice because I can at the very least S any Ultimate with the stylus but I can't clear anything remotely challenging with the buttons.

Also Ultimates in multiplayer against other players is far and away the best part of Curtain Call. Preferably without EX-Bursts though as that gets a bit too crazy even for my taste.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I'm having a confusing issue in FFX HD for vita, doing the Jecht Shot mini game and the prompts aren't showing up at all for some reason. I know I can go back later and get it but it's basically required to win the blitzball cup thing right?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tidus' sphere shot might be good enough to get you a goal then you could hide behind the net to glitch the AI until time runs out. The Jecht shot definitely makes it a little easier though

The reward isn't even very good so it's not really worth stressing over

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Yeah probably not, but mostly I don't wanna home back to it later and find it's glitched forever or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing I dislike about Ultimate is something that happens in a lot of the hard difficulties in rhythm games, and that's when there are notes or hits that don't seem to really be in the song or are stretching the melody out to get more things to score. It doesn't happen often in Theatrhythm but when it does it sucks