Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

marbors posted:

My holland lop, Rosie, is a free roam bunny, has access to the whole house. Yesterday I got a new rabbit, 18 months old, never been indoors. I'm hoping to train her to be a free range bunny as well. First obstacle is bonding her with Rosie.

Today, new bunny was hopping around the side of the cage where Rosie was at, obviously trying to get her attention. A while later, Rosie got close to the cage, and new bunny nipped at her. Immediately after that, they looked like this:

This is good, right? Both look relaxed.
Does this mean the nip was an attempt to groom, or friendly attention-seeking?

Two very relaxed and happy bunnies. No worries. Nipping isn't an issue as long as there's no growling or foul odors involved. In the right circumstances it can be a sign of affection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

marbors posted:

My holland lop, Rosie, is a free roam bunny, has access to the whole house. Yesterday I got a new rabbit, 18 months old, never been indoors. I'm hoping to train her to be a free range bunny as well. First obstacle is bonding her with Rosie.

Today, new bunny was hopping around the side of the cage where Rosie was at, obviously trying to get her attention. A while later, Rosie got close to the cage, and new bunny nipped at her. Immediately after that, they looked like this:

This is good, right? Both look relaxed.
Does this mean the nip was an attempt to groom, or friendly attention-seeking?

The rule of thumb is any small aggressive behaviors like a little chasing/humping/fur pulling is okay and a normal part of bunnies establishing the order of things during the bonding process, it's only a bad thing when it gets aggressive or long lasting enough to cause some hurt feelings between them, they tend to hold grudges in that case. If the nipping was to happen much more with the setup you have in the pic, I'd be just a little cautious in case of a snooping bunny nose getting bit, I've seen a bunny get a nasty gash right on the nose from that sort of thing.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
For whatever the hell reason bunnies bite each other in the rear end when they first meet. You don't just lick a new bunny on the nose, that's rude. rear end first.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How do you like your Holland Lop? They have a reputation for being a bit belligerent. My old Holland Lop/Mini Rex mix was bossy.

marbors
Mar 11, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

How do you like your Holland Lop? They have a reputation for being a bit belligerent. My old Holland Lop/Mini Rex mix was bossy.

I've had 4 lops over the years. The first was very sweet, she would sit on my lap and watch tv with me and was good in the house. The second was definitely bossy. She had no problem getting right up in the dogs' faces, and would stomp her feet and charge at me if she didn't like something I was doing. She also liked to chew, and if she saw me coming to stop her she would just chew faster until I got to her!

Rosie is the only true holland lop I've had. She came from a hoarder who had over 280 animals so she was very mistrusting of people at first, but she has come a long way. She doesn't like to be held or loved on, but she is the best little rabbit. She is 100% cage-free and I leave her unsupervised in the house, no problems. She comes and begs for treats and is a little diva about when she does or doesn't want attention, but very well-behaved.

I got my new one 4 days ago, so I have yet to learn her true personality. So far she seems pretty sweet though!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
we got her spayed late in life, so since gracie's dewlap deflated she likes to find other ways to prop her head up while sleeping

edit:

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 2, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

At e-vet with Harriet. I think GI stasis. She is still being herself though and Is trying to escape her carrier.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bunnyofdoom posted:

At e-vet with Harriet. I think GI stasis. She is still being herself though and Is trying to escape her carrier.

Boo hoo human my tumtum hurts oh poor bunny me... CARRIER?! No, no carrier, everything is fine human! Nonono I am just fine no need to look at this bunny look watch me destroy everything as a healthy bunny does

... Are we home? Boo hoo human my tumtum hurts.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, it was an intestinal blockage from eating a swiffer. She is fine, she is pooping, she is trying to pick fights with my roomie's service dog again.

She's back to being Harriet.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, it was an intestinal blockage from eating a swiffer. She is fine, she is pooping, she is trying to pick fights with my roomie's service dog again.

:allears:

e: I'm picturing all of this with the pink bow still on.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I honestly wonder if she's trying to get the dog to play the chase game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

grack posted:

I honestly wonder if she's trying to get the dog to play the chase game.

I think so.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007
My rabbit just ate my shoe : (
Do you guys have advice on protecting the floor under the bunny pen? I'm moving into a rental with nice wood floors and my rabbit is a fan of the "stand at the very edge of the litter box no matter how big it is and pee over the side" method. I was thinking about a tarp but I feel like he would start trying to eat it pretty quickly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

HildyJohnson posted:

Do you guys have advice on protecting the floor under the bunny pen? I'm moving into a rental with nice wood floors and my rabbit is a fan of the "stand at the very edge of the litter box no matter how big it is and pee over the side" method. I was thinking about a tarp but I feel like he would start trying to eat it pretty quickly.

Coroplast. It's the stuff they print signs on, you can probably buy it in big chunks from a printing business.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We put a 5x8 mat that you normally put under a treadmill for ours. It's soft but they can't dig it. It's easy on their feet and nonslip. We had two, one for the cage and one for the giant run they had we hade out of an extra large dog pen. That way they were never stuck in their cage but always had a way to run around and do things and could go back inside when they felt like it.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007
Thanks, coroplast does look promising, I'd heard it mentioned before but for some reason I was thinking it was just coated cardboard, now I see it's actually plastic, I'll look for that or the treadmill mat. The mat actually might be even better because of the nonslip factor.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

We put down a crappy carpet for the same reason, but luckily our rabbits only really chew wood and leather so they don't eat the carpet. Under the carpet is one of those rug mats which came with said crappy carpet.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, I have hit upon a foolproof plan to keep Harriet from eating my cords. Distraction with cords she has already rendered useless, as seen in this photo.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

HildyJohnson posted:

Cheap rug from a place like walmart (~$20), cut it to be the right size to protect that floor, use a sheet as a top layer for that if you want something easy to pull out and clean.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

We got a piece of loose linoleum cut and put that under their cage-area, since both buns love to arc a beautiful stream of cloudy piss onto the floor while contently sitting in the litter box. Carpets are a no-no cause they get loving manky after a few rounds of that treatment.

Looking for alternatives to the linoleum though, cause without it being stuck down it tends to "roll" itself up and make humps that Snoopy loves to dig and tear apart. loving RABBITS, CAN YOU NOT BE APPEASED.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007

Prawned posted:

We got a piece of loose linoleum cut and put that under their cage-area, since both buns love to arc a beautiful stream of cloudy piss onto the floor while contently sitting in the litter box.

Yeah I definitely need to pick something waterproof around the litter box because my rabbit subscribes to this lifestyle. I now use a high-sided box to improve the odds but he sometimes leaves his butt hanging out the entrance to pee first prior to fully entering the box.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
So I left for a day and left Chompsky with plenty of food and water. Her cage is big enough that she has plenty of room to roam about. I just got back, and as soon as I walked in the door I saw her downstairs in the living room. I don't know how she always manages to loving escape. Then I go over to her and the bitch has the audacity to grunt at me!

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
So we started our cross country trek with Bunny Hass. We kept her in her cage with plenty of hay, pellets and veggies and kept a blanket over the cage.

She went into frightened bunny mode and are very little and I'm not sure if drank any water. We are stopped at a hotel and while she has her spunk back, she's still not really eating and drinking like she normally does. Is this normal when traveling?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

voodoonoid posted:

So we started our cross country trek with Bunny Hass. We kept her in her cage with plenty of hay, pellets and veggies and kept a blanket over the cage.

She went into frightened bunny mode and are very little and I'm not sure if drank any water. We are stopped at a hotel and while she has her spunk back, she's still not really eating and drinking like she normally does. Is this normal when traveling?

Yeah, we had to stop every 1.5-2 hours to let ours eat and drink when we were bringing them home on a roadtrip.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Ugh im freaking out. I'm a photographer and I had a backdrop leaned against a wall (probably weights 4 pounds or so?) and my bunny RAN towards it knocking it over and it fell on TOP of him.

He got startled and was able to run away after it hit him, so I put him back in his cage. He appears to be fine but im so worried now.

I know buns have very delicate skeletal systems and im a mess. :( How do I know if my bunny is ok? I FEEL TERRIBLE. :(

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Honestly, if he's hopping okay, wants food, and didn't squeak when he got hit, he's probably good. They're quick.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

somnambulist posted:

Ugh im freaking out. I'm a photographer and I had a backdrop leaned against a wall (probably weights 4 pounds or so?) and my bunny RAN towards it knocking it over and it fell on TOP of him.

He got startled and was able to run away after it hit him, so I put him back in his cage. He appears to be fine but im so worried now.

I know buns have very delicate skeletal systems and im a mess. :( How do I know if my bunny is ok? I FEEL TERRIBLE. :(
If he ran off then he's fine. An injury would limit his movement.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Yeah they seem fragile but they really are pretty tough. They can smooth themselves into tiny little spaces, so something falling on them doesn't have a good chance of crushing them.

One day I couldn't find one of my dwarfs for an hour until I saw something moving under an end table. It had a shelf at the bottom about 3 inches off the ground. Very small space. Stupid rabbit was army crawling around underneath it. I didn't even know they could crawl on their toes but they have no problem.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So I am kinda a dork and did a story time of Harriet's weekend adventures

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
I never get tired of hearing all the mayhem your 4-legged dust mop causes. :allears:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

How do rabbits always know what the most expensive thing is in their general vicinity that they can destroy?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grack posted:

How do rabbits always know what the most expensive thing is in their general vicinity that they can destroy?
In the wild, rabbits seek out the most nutritionally valuable plants in the winter. They've evolved to detect and consume objects of value.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

grack posted:

Proprietary cables just taste better, man.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

grack posted:

Rabbit's energy requirements are not measured in calories, but in replacement cost value. Much like goats.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Rabbit's energy requirements are not measured in calories, but in replacement cost value. Much like goats.

I thought it was in misery.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Numerous Populations of Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) live on my Property; a Warren [system of Rabbit Burrows] is very close to the House; the Rabbit is a highly destructive Pest; they consume Grasses and contribute to erosion of the soil; they consume herbs; they consumed my Silver Beet very soon before I intended to harvest it; I felt upset and disappointed; I do not eat Silver Beet but my Homosexual Friend enjoys it; he adds Feta [Sour Crumbling Cheese] to it and constructs Pastry Parcels that are shaped like small envelopes. I do not hate the Rabbits; it is not their Fault that they are a Pest; I will not use Poison on them; I would like to have a Hunting Ferret (Mustela putorius furo [a small sleek Mustelid]) but my Brother will not allow it; he says that Ferrets smell bad; he says that they Smell Like poo poo; this is not true; they smell of Musk. This is the Rabbit Warren closest to the House:

My Property houses both Rabbits and Hares (Lepus europaeus); Hares are less damaging to the Environment due to breeding more slowly than Rabbits; they are quite large; they have yellow eyes; and a Handsome Face; they are shy and fast. They consume their own Dung [Coprophagy]. Some times I pretend to be a Hare; I lie upon the Ground so that my Eyes are at the same level as a Hare's Eyes; I look for juicy grasses; and Predatory Creatures; it is good to see the world from this Angle; it reminds me that other Creatures are very different from my self; and that G-d's creation is very vast. This is what I would see if I were a Hare; or a Human Being similar in size to a Hare [not an Infant Human; Infant Humans have poor sight because their Eyes are not fully developed]:

I have been told that Hares do not make a Good Pet; they are too nervous; they have not been Domesticated. There are many Red Foxes (Vulpes vulpes) on the Property; they frequently devour the Rabbits; they do not devour the Hares; the Hares are too fast. I am saddened to see Dead Rabbits; they are not to blame for being Rabbits and I have learned that Domesticated Rabbits are sweet and kind; nevertheless it is a Good Thing that the Foxes devour the Rabbits; if a Fox devours a Rabbit then it is not devouring a vulnerable Native Creature such as the Long-Nosed Bandicoot (Perameles nasuta) or the Brown Antechinus (Antechinus stuartii); the Country must have both Foxes and Rabbits; the Rabbits will breed in Catastrophic Proliferation without the presence of the Fox; the Fox will devour Native Creatures without the presence of the Rabbit; the Situation is not ideal but it is in acceptable Balance; Praise G-d.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

...... ok then.

In other news Harriet continues to ne cute yet evil and I seriously considering getting her a henchman.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Enhydra lutris posted:

Numerous Populations of Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) live on my Property; a Warren [system of Rabbit Burrows] is very close to the House; the Rabbit is a highly destructive Pest; they consume Grasses and contribute to erosion of the soil; they consume herbs; they consumed my Silver Beet very soon before I intended to harvest it; I felt upset and disappointed; I do not eat Silver Beet but my Homosexual Friend enjoys it; he adds Feta [Sour Crumbling Cheese] to it and constructs Pastry Parcels that are shaped like small envelopes. I do not hate the Rabbits; it is not their Fault that they are a Pest; I will not use Poison on them; I would like to have a Hunting Ferret (Mustela putorius furo [a small sleek Mustelid]) but my Brother will not allow it; he says that Ferrets smell bad; he says that they Smell Like poo poo; this is not true; they smell of Musk. This is the Rabbit Warren closest to the House:

My Property houses both Rabbits and Hares (Lepus europaeus); Hares are less damaging to the Environment due to breeding more slowly than Rabbits; they are quite large; they have yellow eyes; and a Handsome Face; they are shy and fast. They consume their own Dung [Coprophagy]. Some times I pretend to be a Hare; I lie upon the Ground so that my Eyes are at the same level as a Hare's Eyes; I look for juicy grasses; and Predatory Creatures; it is good to see the world from this Angle; it reminds me that other Creatures are very different from my self; and that G-d's creation is very vast. This is what I would see if I were a Hare; or a Human Being similar in size to a Hare [not an Infant Human; Infant Humans have poor sight because their Eyes are not fully developed]:

I have been told that Hares do not make a Good Pet; they are too nervous; they have not been Domesticated. There are many Red Foxes (Vulpes vulpes) on the Property; they frequently devour the Rabbits; they do not devour the Hares; the Hares are too fast. I am saddened to see Dead Rabbits; they are not to blame for being Rabbits and I have learned that Domesticated Rabbits are sweet and kind; nevertheless it is a Good Thing that the Foxes devour the Rabbits; if a Fox devours a Rabbit then it is not devouring a vulnerable Native Creature such as the Long-Nosed Bandicoot (Perameles nasuta) or the Brown Antechinus (Antechinus stuartii); the Country must have both Foxes and Rabbits; the Rabbits will breed in Catastrophic Proliferation without the presence of the Fox; the Fox will devour Native Creatures without the presence of the Rabbit; the Situation is not ideal but it is in acceptable Balance; Praise G-d.

Hello otterdude, good to see you posting outside EN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Enhydra lutris posted:

I am saddened to see Dead Rabbits; they are not to blame for being Rabbits and I have learned that Domesticated Rabbits are sweet and kind

Absolutely! Would you consider getting a domesticated bunny as a pet? They definitely don't smell like poo poo, heck, I think somebody in this thread has a bunny that smells like coffee most of the time.