Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Had to quit my save, for some reason zombies kept repeatedly spawning offscreen no matter where I went. So imagine a perfectly clear safehouse, me going down a little ways to loot a house then suddenly there's a horde to the east and north of me. Ugh. I found so much that game.

Turning off NPCs and wandering hordes this game though, see how that works out.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Blackray Jack posted:

How would I go about diverting a horde? Shooting off a firearm while in a direction I want them to go to before simply taking a long route around back to where my house is? Trying to split them off piecemeal and fighting them mano-a-mano? Pray they go through?

Do you have any landmines? I'm thinking some strategically placed mines and a few molotovs or incendiaries (or a burning building) in their path should thin the horde out quite a bit.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I appreciate the idea of making the world tougher as the game goes on, but shambling off to a new town and finding more master zombie grenadiers than I can shoot down even with a couple automatic guns just isn't fun.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

If you have fire of any kind and can understand the concept of zombie-herding there's almost no situation you can't live through.

Well unless you're an idiot like me and try to lure a horde of zombies into a forest fire deathtrap while it's raining buckets and trying to torch bushes with a lighter is STRANGELY not cutting the mustard.

But then you just run away. Cardio, bitches.

EDIT: Holy poo poo these melee styles... I just spent about forever clearing out a mall with a day 1 character and don't think I took a single hit. Well, until the switchblade I started with broke at least. A heavy stick didn't work quite as well.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 30, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Cataclysm DDA Walkthrough 100% All Trophies

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

something this game needs is the ability for polearm weapons to reach over two tiles and stab through grilles and such.

I mean I dunno why I'd bother with a heavy rear end spear when a tanto can cut a bitch more efficiently. But if for instance there was some way for me to poke at zombies as they crawl through a window or stab them down as they're bunched up at a chainlink fence or w/e that'd be cool and good, even with the whole 'spear gets stuck' thing.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

something this game needs is the ability for polearm weapons to reach over two tiles and stab through grilles and such.

I mean I dunno why I'd bother with a heavy rear end spear when a tanto can cut a bitch more efficiently. But if for instance there was some way for me to poke at zombies as they crawl through a window or stab them down as they're bunched up at a chainlink fence or w/e that'd be cool and good, even with the whole 'spear gets stuck' thing.

If I recall correctly I think this idea has been floated before but knocked back due to a lack of ideas of how to best implement it in the UI. Is it an extra command? Does it automatically stab something every time it can? etc. etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Make polearms function like the bullwhip, can be used to "shoot" things using melee skills.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd say make it so activating the pole arm causes you to 'jab' it, you than select a direction on the numpad and it applies your basic melee to that direction, stopping if you happen to hit a baddy or object on the tile between your maximum reach

Also I think a great end-game enemy would be a moose-centaur that shoots you with poison arrows as it tramples you down in two steps

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Motherfucker posted:

I'd say make it so activating the pole arm causes you to 'jab' it, you than select a direction on the numpad and it applies your basic melee to that direction, stopping if you happen to hit a baddy or object on the tile between your maximum reach

Also I think a great end-game enemy would be a moose-centaur that shoots you with poison arrows as it tramples you down in two steps

You mean the Jabberwock?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You mean the Jabberwock?

Nah man, moose are the devil incarnate.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Putting together a Fusion Blaster Rifle was the best thing I've ever done in this game. Put in some earplugs and just clear out entire towns in a matter of minutes, because it only uses like 20 bionic power per shot, which is easily to get back with a joint torsion ratchet or indeed anything. It blows the zombies up and sets them on fire with every shot. And you don't have to charge it up like the charge rifle. I'm in love. Though I don't know if I can use it to clear a lab - that's probably pretty hazardous.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
How would I go about raising construction from 1 to 2 without use of a book? Or would it be best if I did find one to raise it?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dig holes, probably. Do whatever takes 1 construction, repeatedly.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
It told me digging holes no longer gives me experience, though.

EDIT: Yep, tried to deepen them to real pits, still no XP.

EDIT: Alright what's good for taking survival from 2 to 3?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 30, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Do whatever takes Survival 2, repeatedly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Cutting down trees and chopping them up is amazing for Construction. Foraging in foliage is amazing for Survival. Do both of those, a lot.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Blackray Jack posted:

It told me digging holes no longer gives me experience, though.

EDIT: Yep, tried to deepen them to real pits, still no XP.

EDIT: Alright what's good for taking survival from 2 to 3?

The only viable way to get cons from 1 to 2 is chopping tree trunks, I think. Then you can do the same but into planks for 2 to 3.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I turn off all the "instaspawn" things I can. wandering hordes would be cool if they weren't wandering spawn points.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

So to chop trees what's the most viable tool?

Preferably something I could make while cavemanning it out in the middle of loving nowhere.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Stone axe. Its just a stick, a rock, and some sinew.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

my next question is is there some way to modify the day night cycle or like, timescale? These loving days feel like seconds to me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seasons, but not days.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
The daynight cycle actually changes with the seasons, so winter and early spring have less daylight than late spring or summer. Plus if your doing a lot of crafting or something then it'll make the day feel shorter. It's possible for an entire season to skip by in no time if you're in a serious cram session.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

doesn't help I started as a mutant with octopus limbs so everything I do is slow as gently caress, still, that explains why the nights are exponentially longer than the days.

Is there a means of waiting for extended periods without actually sleeping?

I mean I got all the food and water I want but I can't move during the night without freezing my tentacles off and getting pissy because of it

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 1, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
shift+\ "|"

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I didn't figure this out for the longest time, but consoles give enough light in a 1-tile radius to craft and read at night. There's always a working one in an evac shelter.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Fusion Blaster Funtime Update: watch out if you want to use one in a Slime Pit: slime is quite flammable.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Ok question: I've been running around at night with the crappy 3x3 vision but now I can see up to 5x5 vision. What gives? I don't have any light sources active and this has been persisting for a few nights now. I also haven't been in any radiated areas as far as I can remember. I have no night vision ability or anything.

EDIT: Never mind, must have been some crazy moonlight action.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 2, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok question: I've been running around at night with the crappy 3x3 vision but now I can see up to 5x5 vision. What gives? I don't have any light sources active and this has been persisting for a few nights now. I also haven't been in any radiated areas as far as I can remember. I have no night vision ability or anything.

EDIT: Never mind, must have been some crazy moonlight action.

It is possible for it to be "sunny" in the middle of the night, which yes roughly equates to bright moonlight.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

megastores have a lot of zombies

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

megastores have a lot of zombies

I don't think I've ever not burned down a megastore after dashing in to grab a few goodies. It's just too satisfying.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

So I just discovered deconstructing beds gives you a literal hundred rags.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Where can one make, or find welding fuel?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blackray Jack posted:

Where can one make, or find welding fuel?

You don't. Acetylene torches are disposable.
But they're plentiful (check garages) and each one lasts a long time.

Edit: Unless you're asking about regular 'welders'. They run on batteries.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

If you have the Integrated Toolset bionic you can weld using your own power supply, too.

Why is Integrated Toolset so good

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I always clear out megastores nonlethally. It's pretty simple since it's basically a massive open floor with a wide entrance so you can just lure the horde out of the store and into a forest then ditch them. It's really handy early on when you can't handle extended heavy combat.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I like that shopping carts count as vehicles, Could I mount a 50 cal to one and drag it around like a little gun emplacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I like that shopping carts count as vehicles, Could I mount a 50 cal to one and drag it around like a little gun emplacement?

Yes.