Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

I find myself struck with the sudden urge to find a ton of .50 cal ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Motherfucker posted:

You'd need to install a new frame or remove the basket for a machinegun to fit (can't have multiple cargo-compartments in the same tile) and install a set of controls to operate/activate the turret.

Flamethrower also works, and has plentiful ammo. Also uses an internal gas tank instead of ammo/cargo so you can install it in a hotdog cart for maximum BBQ.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

Take the m2s off of military vehicles. For some reason they come with shitloads of .50cal ball rounds.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

okay well since I've been asking a ton of questions recently and mostly hogging the thread I guess I'll ask one more because gently caress why not??

Guns, Where do I get ammo presses, gunpowder, ect. Like whats the most convenient way to progress from caveman teir to guns? So far I've been using an AK and keeping all my spent brass but I dunno how / where I'd get anything to reload it with.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Motherfucker posted:

okay well since I've been asking a ton of questions recently and mostly hogging the thread I guess I'll ask one more because gently caress why not??

Guns, Where do I get ammo presses, gunpowder, ect. Like whats the most convenient way to progress from caveman teir to guns? So far I've been using an AK and keeping all my spent brass but I dunno how / where I'd get anything to reload it with.

Absolute most convenient is finding the basement of a gun nut. Failing that you'll have to try gun stores I think or libraries to learn how to make it all yourself. Note, if you have any types of ammo you absolutely have no intention of ever bothering with, you can get the gunpowder and lead out (somehow, I don't remember if it's unloading or disassembly or if you need any tools to do it).

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 2, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Absolute most convenient is finding the basement of a gun nut. Failing that you'll have to try gun stores I think or libraries to learn how to make it yourself.

I found my AK in a LMAO shelter along with a few other guns I didn't bother with (Flintlocks ect), so would a gun-nuts basement have a reloading bench or something I could steal? Do I need a book to learn how to do it? Is there a best way to get the supplies (come to think of it I should have dismantled the ammo for the other guns and worked my way up from there.)

From what I'm seeing here the only good way of making bullets is by dismantling other bullets... dammit.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 2, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Once you're well set up empty casings is the only thing really limiting you. Or not even them if you use a caseless gun.

To start reloading you need a Hand Press and Die Set and the recipe for the bullet (plus fire). Low-end gun books usually have recipes for some bullets, Handloader's Helper has everything. Press and Die can be found in hardware stores / gun shops, or you can forge one with effort.
Lead can be made from scrap metal. Need a crucible and an acetylene torch or forge.
Gunpowder can be made using Cooking. You'll need bleach and ammonia (found in houses and hardware stores, or extremely abundant in labs) and charcoal (make it yourself), and a chemistry set.
Primers can also be made via chemistry.

What you really want to find is a Gunsmith Store. Looks the same as a gun store on the map, but the back rooms have a ton of reloading gear and weapon mods.

(To get into gun shops either pick the lock or cut the door open with an acetylene torch)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Some gunstores have an entire section of the shop with reloading tools, primers, gunpowder and so on. There are books with ammo recipes, but I think you can also get some of them by levelling the respective crafting skill. I don't use guns often, but I think it's fabrication and marksmanship.

^what he said pretty much

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
If you wanna make bullets from scratch, you'll likely need a bunch of things; books that can teach you how to make the components, tools that let you refill the brass, and casings and components and chemicals used to put together the bullet.

This means that knowledge wise you'll need some chemistry books to learn how to make oxidizer powder and gunpowder, fabrication skill which can be helped with a guide to handloading, a rifleman magazine or shotgun book can also teach you how to make the primers and assemble them.

Tool wise you'll need a hand press and die set. Also either batteries to power it or a fire or hotplate I believe.

You can't make brass casings yourself, you'll have to find it in gun stores or caches, or just salvaging it after you fire. Aside from that you'll need knowledge in fabrication and chemistry so you can make lead out of scrap metal, bleach out of salt water (find a swamp), oxidizer powder from bleach, appropriate primer from oxidizer powder, charcoal kilns to make charcoal from wood, ammonia with scrap metal and charcoal, and gunpowder using charcoal and ammonia.

Because this takes SO many chemical components and requires a shitload of resources and energy, it is highly recommended you have a solar-paneled car with a vehicle-powered chemistry lab either fabricated or ripped from a drug dealer's van. Also, having an onboard electric forge lets you smelt lead for bullets out of random scrap, and if you're making rifle bullets you'll also need to make copper tubing to make a handful of ammo, which can take days. If you want to go all the way you can build a FOODCO kitchen buddy simply so you can have a vehicle-powered hand press so you have everything you need in one crafting station.

Basically you have to be very patient and willing to put up with obtaining a ton of resources so you can put explodey powder into a little cartridge case. On the plus side, after you're done with all that you can pretty much make all the tools weapons and armor you need with your roving forge on wheels.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

In the meantime if you really want ranged weapons but don't want to have to put up with/can't make all that work you may want to try finding archery books so you can just turn birds and furniture into fletched wooden arrows. Takes maybe a bit more learning and book luck but it's quicker to actually start the crafting once your character knows how.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nftyw posted:

if you're making rifle bullets you'll also need to make copper tubing to make a handful of ammo, which can take days.

Dismantle fridges for copper tubing.

Another approach would be to dismantle cars until you have 8 mechanics, then built a pneumatic bolt driver. It uses rifle skill skill and is pretty effective.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I have a food dehydrator and some fruit that's going old. I have both the fruit and the dehydrator in my inventory but when I apply it, it tells me I can't do anything interesting with it despite having 100 charges. How do I use a dehydrator?

EDIT: Never mind; it's a recipe not an actual application.

Ok moving on to cars... I have a kickass RV that only needs a replaced engine essentially. Other than that, what kind of engine should I use? And if I were to replace the wheels is there a recommended size or can I just use any size wheel?

UPDATE: Ok so I replaced the engine with an upgraded V6 and I'm currently in the process of filling the gas tank up. I also noticed the batteries are completely dead. What should I do to charge them and how? I have plenty of jumper cables. Should I just disassemble the truck battery and lug it with me to drain power from cars and such? This is my first time futzing about with cars and the like so all help is appreciated.

EDIT: Just had an idea... why not take out the batteries and run around with a frame and battery so I can simply set it up/break it down and move from car to car, draining all the power I can like some kind of car vampire before putting it back into the RV? :drac:

EDIT: The lower the moves per attack is, the faster the weapon is, right? I'm pretty sure it's the opposite but correct me if I'm wrong.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 2, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Whats the status of the 3D stuff? I've burned out on cataclysm recently, but I'd like to get my feet wet in the 3D stuff if there is an experimental out with it available.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blackray Jack posted:

UPDATE: Ok so I replaced the engine with an upgraded V6 and I'm currently in the process of filling the gas tank up. I also noticed the batteries are completely dead. What should I do to charge them and how? I have plenty of jumper cables. Should I just disassemble the truck battery and lug it with me to drain power from cars and such? This is my first time futzing about with cars and the like so all help is appreciated.

You only need a soupcon of charge to start the engine - you should be able to contribute that much using the Batteries in your pocket (use the 'refill' command). Or install a battery with some charge already in it if you can find one, vehicles can have multiple batteries installed no problem.
Make sure you put an alternator on the engine so it'll recharge the battery as you drive, so you'll be able to start it next time.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Any alternator should work right? Even if it says it's for electrical things?

EDIT: Typo.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 2, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blackray Jack posted:

Any alternator should work right? Even if it says it's for electrical things?

EDIT: Typo.

Alternators are essentially dynamos to convert the engine power to electrical power, the larger the alternator, the more power it will generate, I believe, but any will work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Correct. An alternator takes away some of your engine's Power and contributes to your battery. The bigger the alternator (motorcycle -> car -> truck) the more Power it consumes and the faster it refills your battery.

A 1-cylinder engine fitted with a truck alternator is a great way to charge storage batteries. Just leave it running all night, it barely sips fuel.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Ok so uh, I have a problem it seems. I have fuel and at least 1% power in my main engine but even when I turn it on it will die immediately after. It seems I have another storage batter down to the lower left of the RV in addition to the main battery. Do I need to be charging batteries into it a little longer before turning on the RV again or what?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

How damaged are your engine, alternator, and battery?

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
All three are dark green, so definitely good condition. The one on the lower left by itself is in yellow though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it the right fuel? Both gasoline and diesel exist.
Yellow batteries are useless to harmful. Fix it or remove it.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
The fuel meter says gasoline, so it IS the wrong kind indeed.

EDIT: Is there any component of the RV I shouldn't leave in yellow?

EDIT EDIT: Ok does the RV absolutely need a diesel engine? Or can I use any decently powered engine? And any recommendations in that department?

Ok I have a gasoline tank down on the lower left and a diesel engine in the main 'thing'. Do I need to find a diesel tank or are the two compatible enough?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 3, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yellow things mostly work, but yellow storage items leak. So batteries and tanks should not be yellow or they'll swiftly zero.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Ok so apparently I had a small tank of diesel sitting around but when I tried to refill it, it says the RV doesn't use diesel. So I guess swap out the engine for a non-diesel engine?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make sure your engine and installed tank use the same fuel (diesel engines always specify it in their name).

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Well, by sheer luck I found an inline engine that runs on gas so I switched engines out, filled it up with gas, and it's alive. Bonus is that I found cargo holds although they're in red condition but a bit of repairs will fix it. So I am essentially mobile now.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Anybody know if hydrogen still exists?

The diamond blade recipes call for it, but I don't remember running into it this playthrough at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Anybody know if hydrogen still exists?

The diamond blade recipes call for it, but I don't remember running into it this playthrough at all.

Yes, rare. Search military outposts, bunkers, lab armories.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If you use the evac shelter as your base I just realized it's much better to set up your bed in the basement, both due to the fact that you won't get woken up by the light but mostly due to it being on a different reality bubble so any fire you leave going won't burn out while you sleep.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Is there a way to keep fires burning a long time?

I can barely keep a fire going long enough to warm myself up let alone read a book through the night.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

More fuel. If you can chop down a tree then you should have all the 2x4s you can eat. Start with half a dozen or so and feed it more as needed.

Fire is a very inefficient method of lighting though. Hit an electronics store so you can make a lightstrip, or set up somewhere with an active console (sewage treatment plants are good. Mines are also acceptable, if cramped.)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The console is a major part of what makes the Evac shelter a very decent starting base, as long as you have relatively easy access to water.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Questions again: Armor, where's a motherfucker supposed to get it, is it worth the effort for a ranged character, is there an easy minimum required to avoid getting bit by zombies without sacrificing kickassability.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There are many varieties of armor, you can even forge a full set of plate mail with some considerable effort and high enough skill level, there are MBR/Kevlar vests usually lying about near military corpses or being carried by Zombie soldiers. If you're playing ranged you should usually wear as much poo poo as you can cause torso encumberment does not penalize your ranged skill, check the armor values in the item description to see which items provide better protection and use tailoring to keep your gear reinforced.

There's also several varieties of power armor you can find in labs, bunkers and bases or just stumble upon in the open, it requires being powered by a UPS though. There's also rather high-end tailoring crafts for 'survivor armor' varieties which offer a lot of storage and protection for relatively low encumberance.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Questions again: Armor, where's a motherfucker supposed to get it, is it worth the effort for a ranged character, is there an easy minimum required to avoid getting bit by zombies without sacrificing kickassability.

Anything you can wear counts as armor. I think a leather jacket is supposed to work well for ordinary zombie slaying as it is both resistant to damage and covers your torso well, but if you can't find/make that you can just encumber yourself like crazy with the heaviest poo poo you can find - it doesn't matter if you can't dodge worth a poo poo and take forever to swing if your clothing is too tough to penetrate. As for ranged fighting, there's no downsides at all to just loading up your torso encumbrance if you just want to be able to shoot stuff point-blank without getting hurt so easily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strictly speaking, throwing is hampered by torso encumbrance, arm encumbrance reduces your aiming ability, and hand encumbrance makes your reloads take a lot longer, you may wish to manage those if you want to keep your ranged combat efficient.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

alright, so leather it is than,

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With the latest version you can use a tailoring kit to upgrade any clothes by sewing fur, leather, and kevlar patches into it.

So you can make your leather trenchcoat menace with spikes of leather to make it more better, if you want to.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

With the latest version you can use a tailoring kit to upgrade any clothes by sewing fur, leather, and kevlar patches into it.

So you can make your leather trenchcoat menace with spikes of leather to make it more better, if you want to.

I'll probably end up doing that, shame you can't make it menace with spikes of spikes though, hardly seems apocalyptic if I can't do that...

Also: Brazier, while it may stop you burning down the house it is still a retarded idea to light one in your evac shelter :V

Not that I'd ever do anything retarded...

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

drat, I downloaded the latest experimental (3100) but had to revert because it can't find a hippie van and goes into an error loop.

Really enjoying it though, I've learned how to survive my first few days and collect lots of junk in shopping carts. Fighting is doable with the cudgel and some basic leather armor but a lot of the time getting food long term is a bother.