Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I am an old fart (well… kinda) and a sucker for great acting and great stories, so Let’s Play Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain!

What is Blood Omen?
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is an isometric RPG developed in 1996 by Silicon Knights and published by Crystal Dynamics (released in 1997 for PC). This game is what started the Legacy of Kain series. Need I say more? Well, even if I do, I intend to explain stuff about Legacy of Kain in general during the LP.

I tried to run this on a modern PC, and I can’t seem to watch the cutscenes. Will there be cutscenes?
I can’t watch the cutscenes in-game either (I run the game on Win8), but the cutscenes will be edited in the episodes as appropriate.

Is this a 100% run?
Not likely. I wish I could say that I can 100% this game, but I honestly cannot. The world is just too big for me to 100% it. So, if I miss any secrets or optional non-secrets, do please point it out, it’s greatly appreciated! That being said, since it's 2015, I have access to the Internet, and, by extension, to a guide, and, as such, will try to get my hands on as many secrets as I can.
Post-LP EDIT: no, this is not a 100% run.

Spoiler policy?
The thread has a strict no spoilers policy. 80% of the game is the combination of storyline, acting, and atmosphere, and many people haven’t played this game or any of the Legacy of Kain games (the last one came out 10 years ago, after all, and this one is 19 years old). As such, do please refrain from discussing anything that can spoil the storyline of Blood Omen or the Legacy of Kain series in general. Feel free to speculate, but PLEASE do not spoil stuff. Not only are spoilers inherently bad, but they can also cause confusion in the future due to how convoluted the series' storyline eventually becomes. I do this LP under an assumption that there are by now people who only know of the world of Nosgoth thanks to Nosgoth (the game) and who aren’t very familiar with the story barring some very general aspects. They are among the people the LP is conceived for, as I intend to actually explain the in-universe stuff in this Let’s Play, as opposed to narrating the gameplay in the “now I go here and hit this” style (I already tried that and it just doesn’t work :D).

By the way:
1) there’s no way I’ll be able to maintain some kind of a schedule, as the times when I can record stuff are highly erratic and inconsistent, given that every recording requires a fair share of prior planning and, sometimes, even research. They will be semi-regular, however, as in, I will always have at least one update per week;
2) I will never ever speak over the in-game dialogue;
3) when there's an "uhh", it means that I'm looking for a word, as English isn't my first language, so apologies in advance :)

Videos

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I've been interested in seeing a VLP of this series - interested in seeing how it'll go.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Good to see the thread go live. As I said in the sandbox, I've always been interested in this series but couldn't get very far in it, so a VLP exploring the lore will be fun. The games have some interesting ideas, and I really like the cyclical nature of the plot and the way everyone seems to make the exact worst choices at any given time.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that is true, the storyline really is difficult to follow on your own unless you play through all the LoK games multiple times (doing it once doesn't really cut it, as by the time of getting to Defiance one is not likely to remember what was going on in the past games and what happened when and what caused what). That's why mental notes (for understanding the future events), reminders (for remembering the past events), and random trivia (for everything) are quite helpful in understanding the storyline, which is actually fascinating. Well, except several loopholes, but these won't really come into play in BO, they will come in the later games and will have different reasons.

It's such a shame that the series never got a proper conclusion >_<

Btw, I should be able to post the update tomorrow

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

It's such a shame that the series never got a proper conclusion >_<
Didn´t they turn it into an MMO or something? Clearly the proper conclusion is Kain becoming a raid boss.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Didn´t they turn it into an MMO or something? Clearly the proper conclusion is Kain becoming a raid boss.

No, not really. They are making a MOBA called Nosgoth, which I have never played (and I don't think I will, I'm a singleplayer kind of guy), which is set in the same universe, but without Kain (afaik, he "mysteriously disappeared") and during the time period that hasn't been covered in the actual LoK games (which I will not specify because spoilers). Thankfully, they aren't using it to conclude the storyline. I think. I hope.
Last time I checked it was an open beta, although that was a while ago

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Nosgoth doesn't share anything with LoK aside from the name and aesthetics, as far as I'm aware. I've played it a bit but I'm not very knowledgeable about the series in general.
Looking forward to seeing this game completed, I owned it on PS1 when I was young but never finished it. I ended up using cheat codes to see the endings.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cheat codes got me stuck good and proper early in the game, and made me decide that while the story was good, the game itself was not. I also found myself getting stuck repeatedly trying to play Soul Reaver, even without cheat codes, and that's a very different game from the original here.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Seems like the Legacy of Kain took its biggest initial inspiration from the Ultima series. Also, was it a thing for 90's fantasy games to send someone to Hell either at the beginning or the end? Because it feels like that was a thing for a while.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I loved this game (but it's really hard to get back into now) - it really revels in its gore and such. Some of the weapons and spells you find later on are amazing in this regard - maybe not its graphics but definitely the descriptions are amazing.

On the ending of the series, I kind of feel like they wrote themselves into a corner - in that I don't see how Kain could proceed in his goals in an effective manner. Then again, this series is timey-wimey ball squared, so who knows.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's really too bad there isn't likely going to be another Legacy of Kain game to tie up all the loose ends, they could have used a final game to end it all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like the open ending of Defiance. Sure, it was not intended to end that way, but having a vague hope beats knowing Kain will gently caress up further as he frequently does.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Considering the rumor mills had it that Soul Reaver ONE was going to end on a downbeat end-of-the-world note but they realized they'd have to delay it to a sequel due to space constraints (and THEN the popularity of the series nixed the idea totally) I think we should be happy with what we got.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
These are no rumors, Soul Reaver really was originally supposed to be the end of the series.

In any case, I actually think that we will eventually get a proper conclusion (or another set of sequels, why the heck not *_*), although not in this decade

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I like the open ending of Defiance. Sure, it was not intended to end that way, but having a vague hope beats knowing Kain will gently caress up further as he frequently does.

This is pretty much where I am.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
That video made me miss Tony Jay all over again.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

It's hard to believe it's been almost a decade :smith:
---

It'll be nice to see a VLP of this series, it's been far too long, especially considering Blood Omen is the one I'm least familiar with.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

In any case, I actually think that we will eventually get a proper conclusion (or another set of sequels, why the heck not *_*), although not in this decade

I long ago gave up my hopes for a proper conclusion. Tony Jay is gone, the original devs have moved on, and the IP is currently being used for an MMO.

It's dead, Jim.

I like your spoiler policy, BTW. It's hard to discuss anything in this series without having to, eventually, discuss literally everything else. I'm totally itching to discuss my pet theory about what the point of the main yet-unresolved plot point of the series was, but I won't.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Really awesome to see this. The Legacy of Kain is one of my favorite series. I've played through all the games several times, even the less than stellar Blood Omen 2, and the story and voice acting really grip me every time.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
And we have an update!

Now, I have a question for you. Should I keep the parts relatively short, or should I increase the length to 20-25 minutes, considering that I don't pump them out daily?

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 1, 2015

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

And here's an update!

Now, I have a question for you. Should I keep the parts relatively short, or should I increase the length to 20-25 minutes, considering that I don't pump them out daily?

I can only speak for myself, but I stongly prefer longer episodes.
Also, you might want to make an update post more visible, a single hyperlinked word is easily overlooked if someone's just skimming the thread. Something like this:

:siren:Episode 2: Enter the Pillars:siren: is much easier to notice.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you're right, thanks for the tip

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Are you doing live commentary? If you have trouble finding the right words in English sometimes (and trust me, I know a lot about that), commenting in post might be a better option.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It is live, yes. I personally don't think that it's a problem, because I hope I don't get stuck every 30 seconds and I like to think that it makes the thing sound more natural
Actually, my attempt to do post-commentary turned out to be completely unsatisfactory, because issues arose with timing and I was speaking just way too fast when I knew all my text in advance

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think shorter updates (<20 mins) are better if you're going to update frequently. If you're going to go a while between updates then going a little longer makes sense.

I like the show-don't-tell aspect of the pillars. We're told that the decay represents the mental state of the individual pillars' avatars (or whatever you want to call them) and we see that three of them are black-black and completely rotted. Clearly those guys are not well.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Hmm... well, it really depends on how long should be considered "frequently". I'm pretty sure that I would be able to post an update as soon as tomorrow, but even with shorter videos I still want to allow for some cooldown period for speculation. Add.: then again, the next 30 minutes of gameplay are about collecting stuff and teasing us with stuff that we can't get, and they will not bring any plot advancement...

-----------------

Speaking of the Pillars, I never even actually noticed that three of them are, indeed, darker than the others! O_O Although it only shows in the cutscene, and not in-game (BO or any of the following games), and the pillars that are in near-charcoal state are the pillars of Dimension, Conflict, and Energy. Knowing the story of BO and other LoK games, I see it is a very random set of pillar guardians to be declared more insane than others. It may be just a graphical derp in the cutscene, but still...

drat, now I'm curious *_* I will look into it

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 30, 2015

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I think longer updates would be better if you want to leave time for people to discuss stuff.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Longer videos and longer gaps it is, then!

Negatron00
Apr 18, 2015

...play mstie for me
Noice,
I only learned of this game some years after completing Soul Reaver 1 and 2 (which I played through close to their original release dates). I found it too difficult to go to the top-down gameplay stlye, so I've missed out on this, the first title in the series.
I know the basics of the plot thanks to wiki's, but it's nice to see the game as intended.

LoK is one of my favorite series. One of the first that I found to have competent voice acting, besides MGS of course. But then a quick search reveals that Blood Omen came out 2 years before MGS. Of course the VO was improved even more for Soul Reaver, which can a year after MGS.

Has it really been 10 years since Tony Jay left us?!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Negatron00 posted:

Noice,
I only learned of this game some years after completing Soul Reaver 1 and 2 (which I played through close to their original release dates). I found it too difficult to go to the top-down gameplay stlye, so I've missed out on this, the first title in the series.
I know the basics of the plot thanks to wiki's, but it's nice to see the game as intended.

LoK is one of my favorite series. One of the first that I found to have competent voice acting, besides MGS of course. But then a quick search reveals that Blood Omen came out 2 years before MGS. Of course the VO was improved even more for Soul Reaver, which can a year after MGS.

Has it really been 10 years since Tony Jay left us?!

Yeah, it's been almost 10 years >< Should an actual continuation of the series be released someday, there would have to be recasting, and it would inevitably feel not right, even if the new voice actor were to nail the performance

I remember playing Blood Omen for the first time (that actually was well after I have played all the other LoK games - I couldn't really play it on release due to me being only two years old back then), and the to-down view took a LOT of getting used to. As did the abscence of certain characters.

And the controls. All the menus and selection screens in the game are tied to function keys, and I still mess them up.

---

On an unrelated note, there will be an update tomorrow. It won't include any storyline advancement despite being about 30 minutes long, and will be basically a sequence of obtaining and showing off a bunch of new items and gameplay mechanics, so I don't feel bad about not leaving a larger gap between the updates in this case.

Negatron00
Apr 18, 2015

...play mstie for me

Alexeythegreat posted:

I couldn't really play it on release due to me being only two years old back then

drat i'm old...I was 14 in 96

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Negatron00 posted:

I feel the same way when I see people born in 2000s as teenagers

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

I had played this game years ago and enjoyed the hell out of it, even if the long distance blood sucking was goofy. Don't think I ever beat it though, so I hope you stick through to the end!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Negatron00 posted:

And I'm two years older than that! :corsair:

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"
I love this series to death. It's so well voice acted, especially for the time. I want to talk about a lot of things but as someone said above me, if you start talking about one thing you almost have to talk about everything. I'm looking forward to the next video, and hoping you continue through the whole series.

Also, I'm glad you got the cutscenes to work properly. I remember weird lines going through them some years ago when Bentalbot and I were thinking about LP'ing this game after we finished Defiance. I'm happy that you're doing this series because I cannot listen to my commentary from that LP. It's all in jokes and nervous laughter and just ugh, I was so bad.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
So, we have an update!

In this case there is zero story advancement, we just collect a bunch of spells and powerups. They are essential to the progression, but not to the story. As such, this time my commentary consists mostly of semi-random (although sometimes interesting) trivia about the lore and development of Blood Omen. I also ended up making some cuts and speed-ups, it was just too painful without them, so I ended with 21 minutes instead of the "around 30" that I promised. As this update does not contain story, the next one will be posted fairly soon, within a couple of days.

---------------------

marasamune posted:

I love this series to death. It's so well voice acted, especially for the time. I want to talk about a lot of things but as someone said above me, if you start talking about one thing you almost have to talk about everything. I'm looking forward to the next video, and hoping you continue through the whole series.

Also, I'm glad you got the cutscenes to work properly. I remember weird lines going through them some years ago when Bentalbot and I were thinking about LP'ing this game after we finished Defiance. I'm happy that you're doing this series because I cannot listen to my commentary from that LP. It's all in jokes and nervous laughter and just ugh, I was so bad.

I never got them to work (not on Win8), I just edited them into the videos :D

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Man, this game is quite different from the later games - while still having crazy good voice acting (for such an early title).

I think I'd actually prefered if it stayed more like this and less 3D puzzle platformer (although there's certainly some of that here with the wolf form and spike pits...). Never thought that the gameplay meshed all that well with the story being told in any of these games.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

Man, this game is quite different from the later games - while still having crazy good voice acting (for such an early title).

I think I'd actually prefered if it stayed more like this and less 3D puzzle platformer (although there's certainly some of that here with the wolf form and spike pits...). Never thought that the gameplay meshed all that well with the story being told in any of these games.
Soul Reaver 1 managed to mix exploration, platforming and puzzle solving really well. The others... less so.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Soul Reaver 1 managed to mix exploration, platforming and puzzle solving really well. The others... less so.

Unfortunately, SR1 also had, unlike the other 4 games, block puzzles ><

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negatron00
Apr 18, 2015

...play mstie for me

Alexeythegreat posted:

Unfortunately, SR1 also had, unlike the other 4 games, block puzzles ><

Oof, thanks Eidos...They just retooled the Tomb Raider engine for SR1 didn't they?
I just remembered that there was a dreamcast version of SR1
Is the steam version ported from PS1 or the Dreamcast version?

Anyway, sorry for not talking Blood Omen. I love the hokey CG.

• Locked thread