Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Godlike, the first proper ORE title and precursor to Wild Talents, had a D20 version that was just kind of there in the back of the book. Even back when I first read it and was having my tiny teenage mind blown by non-D20 things, I thought it was incredibly odd and ill-fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Huh, I guess unlike BESM, this one had the hardcovers already made and good to go and White Wolf not feeling like changing anything.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think there was anything that people didn't try to turn into d20, just because they could.

I think that was actually a case of "Let's make some d20 conversion rules nobody's gonna use so our book's allowed on the good shelves."

Saguaro PI posted:

Godlike, the first proper ORE title and precursor to Wild Talents, had a D20 version that was just kind of there in the back of the book. Even back when I first read it and was having my tiny teenage mind blown by non-D20 things, I thought it was incredibly odd and ill-fitting.

*Looks at his SilCORE books*

Yeah, those were strange times...

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Doresh posted:

Huh, I guess unlike BESM, this one had the hardcovers already made and good to go and White Wolf not feeling like changing anything.

I recall that it was about six months or even a year after GoTRPG that Guardians imploded, so all that S&S branded stock was printed about a full year before White Wolf took over fulfillment for BESM.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I also remember where every son of a bitch and his mother were releasing D20 poo poo. Why did people fall in love with that so much? Was it just because it was all (vaguely) interconnectable with what was, at the time, D&D?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nessus posted:

I also remember where every son of a bitch and his mother were releasing D20 poo poo. Why did people fall in love with that so much? Was it just because it was all (vaguely) interconnectable with what was, at the time, D&D?

OGL, I think, made it really easy to publish d20 shovelware.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Night10194 posted:

That, and with WotC releasing things such as Call of Cthulhu D20, Star Wars D20, D20 Modern, etc, this led to the perception that the D20 System was truly universal and could work for all manner of genres and play-styles. Naturally WotC had no problem going against that feeling.

But I was genuinely surprised when Monte Cook's World of Darkness (published by White Wolf, not WotC) turned out to utilize the D20 System. Although unlike the earlier entries I mentioned, it was not so well-received by the fanbase.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 1, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Night10194 posted:

WOTC's only complaint about the OGL is that they released it free for everybody. The GSL requires WOTC approval and while non-revokable, they can change the terms of the license out from underneath the licensees. So almost no-one used it.

Libertad! posted:

But I was genuinely surprised when Monte Cook's World of Darkness (published by White Wolf, not WotC) turned out to utilize the D20 System. Although unlike the earlier entries I mentioned, it was not so well-received by the fanbase.

I sort of like McWoD, though other than having creatures named vampires, mages, werewolves, and demons, it has almost nothing to do with the World of Darkness. Completely divorced from the WoD label it's a fairly unique post apocalyptic setting.

More unfortunately, the only 'races' that are functional within their purview are the Werewolves and the Awakened. Mages have a weird condition where they can poo poo out single target damage and healing spells all day long but doing anything more complex than that has the potential of locking them out of spellcasting for the rest of the day. Not through any kind of active design intent, but just due to the way their casting system is designed. Vampires are still prohibited from acting during the day, and their ability to heal doesn't scale up as their hit point pools increase, meaning that a nearly-dead vampire would need to slaughter an entire neighborhoods worth of people to heal back to full. And Demons are really really bad at shape shifting and get worse as they get more powerful.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Night10194 posted:

The big thing was that it signaled that WotC wanted third parties to produce this stuff, so lots of people piled in hoping to have some of the D&D cachet rub off on their project.

Then when 4e rolled around WotC stopped using the OGL because the D20 brand had been completely ruined by all the garbage shackled to it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I wanna prestige class into Imp

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I wanna prestige class into Imp

The Hodor prestige class is way better in combat. A shame you have to take at least 1 level in Commoner.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doresh posted:

The Hodor prestige class is way better in combat. A shame you have to take at least 1 level in Commoner.

You also need 10 ranks in Speak Language(HODOR)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
At least you get a Natural Weapon (club) out of it.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2015

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

drat your good jokes! This is why we never posted what we're sitting on before.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I just want to check and see if Jon Snow has any Knowledge skills. If so they've screwed up.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just want to check and see if Jon Snow has any Knowledge skills. If so they've screwed up.

It's just not accurate to the source material if he doesn't have negative ranks, or at least a permanent -10 modifier to any Knowledge-related rolls.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

No, just a class feature that makes him automatically fail all knowledge rolls.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kurieg posted:

No, just a class feature that makes him automatically fail all knowledge rolls.

Well, it's either that or suffering from the Stark curse. They have a strange way of balancing classes with animal companions - except when the animal companion in question is a dragon. Then you get 2 extra dragons, immunity to fire, and a +2 morale bonus for all rolls dealing with causing the downfall of civilizations.

Mazes & Minotaurs - Players Manual

II: Combat

Combat is overall a simplified version of 3.5 with a hefty dose of oldschool. You've got your individual initiatives, your 6 second rounds, your roll-high attack rolls to beat your opponent's AC aka EDC - but you also have battle rounds divided into 4 phases (Decision, Missile, Movement, Melee), and just about every weapon and every medium-sized enemy deals a flat 1d6 damage (though seeing how levels only go to 6, and your Might modifier is only added once to your Hits Total, M&M characters can't quite take the same kind of punishment as a typical D&D character, even if they might start out stronger).

Melee weapons are categorized into battle weapons (swords, spears and similar "civilized" weapons), daggers, barbarian weapons and enormous weapons.
Battle weapons have no special rules and are identical in performance (outside of class abilities, weapon of choice and situational restrictions that might arise due to their length and such).
Daggers only deal 1d3 (the same as a small opponent) unless you do a sneak attack (which only Thieves and Hunters can really do, and usually only outside/before combat). These do 1d6 like normal weapons and can deal double that if you beat the opponents Defense Class by at least 10, which isn't too hard as sneak attacks give you a +4 attack bonus, and the victim can't use his shield since he's unaware.
Barbarian weapons are your huge swords, axes, clubs and whatnot. They're just like battle weapons, except that you have to wield them two-handed if your Might is below 13.
Enormous weapons are big, two-handed weapons that allow the wielder to dish out the same damage as large-sized creatures (aka 2d6). This comes with a few drawbacks however: You have to have a Might score of at least 19, your Initiative is cut in half, and you can't apply any kind of damage bonus. These weapons are therefore not so useful for Barbarians and more for guys like HErakles who are actually Nobles with Might as their primary attribute.

Damage & Injury

M&M is a bit less lethal than your typical oldschool game. If you hit 0 Hits or less, you have to make a Physical Vigor aka Fortitude roll. A result of less than 10 means your dead, a 10 or more means your stable, but will die if you take another hit, and a 20 or more means you can still act and fight (but will still die if you take another hit and fall unconscious after the fight).
Every time you fall to 0 Hits and survive, you suffer a permanent attribute loss of either Might, Skill or Grace. This can even happen if you're just down to 2 Hits, but at least you get a Physical Vigor roll vs 10 to avoid this.

Speaking of Physical Vigor rolls vs 10, this is also what you have to succeed at on before you can recover your Hits naturally (at 1d6 + your level). This only happens after a week of rest, so I hope you have a healer with you. Either way, weak characters should do everything in their power to not get hit in the first place

Special Melee Tactics

All the fun stuff you can do besides "1 poke him with my spear". Just about all of these require you to have at least a 13 in a certain attribute whose modifier is involved, since 13 is where the modifier starts being positive.

Charge into Battle: Your typical D&D charge, though it works a bit differently in that it adds your Might mod to Initiative and your Melee attack roll.

Hold Back & Weapon Parry: Essentially Full Defense. You add your Skill modifier to your EDC against all front or flank attacks. The only difference between these two is that Hold Back is used with spears, and Spearman use it all the time without having to use up their action (explaining their class ability).

Shield Wall: Two or more Spearman stand side-by-side to gain a +2 to their EDC. Can also be combined with a charge.

Subterfuge: A sort of "aiming", you observe your opponent for one round and gain your Wits modifier to your next attack roll against him.

Two Weapons: Instead of gaining a second attack, you instead get a bonus to your Melee bonus. The bonus is either +1 or +2, depending on whether your off-hand weapon is a dagger (requiring Skill 13+) or proper battle weapon (requiring Skill and Might 13+). Yes, this means you can dual-wield spears like something out of Final Fantasy 5.

Special Situations

Other special circumstances that can crop up. Also includes sneak attacks, but I've explained them already.

Close Quarters: These not only prevent the above melee tactics, but half your initiative if you're wielding a spear or barbarian weapon.

Mounted Combat: Mounted combat grants you a +2 to attack against medium creatures, nothing against bigger foes, and a malus against smaller targets. Charging is especially powerful while mounted, giving you an additional +2 bonus to initiative and damage, and allowing you to use a free trample attack against targets of at most medium sizem which is an additional 1d6 damage that hits automatically, but can be avoided with a Danger Evasion aka Reflex roll vs 15.

Missile Combat

Nothing too fancy here. You just have a bunch of modifiers based on range, movement and visibility. Also, shields only help the opponent if he is actually aware of the attack.

Unarmed Combat

Unarmed combat always happens at the end of the melee phase (aka weapon and claw users go first) and comes in two flavors: pugilism and wrestling.
Pugilism is punching and whatnot, dealing 1d3 + your Might modifier in subdual aka stun damage, which causes the opponent to get knocked out if gets higher than his current Hits total, at which point further unarmed attacks will cause normal damage. Note that this only works against other humans, not beasts or monsters.
Wrestling can be used against anything that isn't Gigantic (the biggest size category in the game). It's your typical grapple, meant to immobilize the target to make it easier to hit (+4 to attacks against it). The grappler can't attack himself though, so now lion strangling in the core rules. This is covered in the M&M Companion, along with critical hits and fumbles.

Overall, it's pretty nice. Very streamlined and quick, with combat not being "Hit 0 and you're dead" kind of lethal, but still nasty enough to make PCs cautious. It certainly helps that they start of with more Hits at level 1, but the overall Hit growth is a bit on the slow side, making low-level dangers still threatening.

The notes and comments for this chapter include wargaming grognards making fun at the game, people houseruling the weapon damage rules for more "realism", the overuse of the Shield Wall and the endless debate of "Why does armor make you harder to hit?"

Next Time: Magic! Can you have caster supremacy with just 6 spells?

Doresh fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 3, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

The cover art is pretty bland for the d20-only, non-deluxe version, but still better than the weirdly cartoony deluxe edition's cover.

Edit:

I dunno, I think that's a decent illustration of Aragorn being pursued by a Ringwraith.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My tradgames experience is mostly limited to stuff like this thread, but I used to be a fan of ASOIAF. I had the chance to borrow a copy of that game years ago, and it was actually really well designed as far as I remember. It was clearly a labour of love by fans, and seemed to get how to translate the series into pen-and-paper.

I never played it, but it might be worth a look for this thread.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My tradgames experience is mostly limited to stuff like this thread, but I used to be a fan of ASOIAF. I had the chance to borrow a copy of that game years ago, and it was actually really well designed as far as I remember. It was clearly a labour of love by fans, and seemed to get how to translate the series into pen-and-paper.

I never played it, but it might be worth a look for this thread.

Are you sure you're thinking of the d20 version? I mean, the authors did a great job with what they had, but deep down it was still a loving bland as hell d20 brick. It's an okay setting guide, I guess. The Green Ronin version has its flaws, but they were allowed to get a bit more creative and pursue what the series was about.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Plague of Hats posted:

Are you sure you're thinking of the d20 version? I mean, the authors did a great job with what they had, but deep down it was still a loving bland as hell d20 brick. It's an okay setting guide, I guess. The Green Ronin version has its flaws, but they were allowed to get a bit more creative and pursue what the series was about.

it's probably the years talking.

And "brick" is accurate.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

it's probably the years talking.

And "brick" is accurate.

Oh, I know. I have the deluxe edition after all, which added like a 60-page, nearly unreadable appendix for their half-done genericised version of BESM.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

occamsnailfile posted:

I read several of the Elric books as a kid and my reaction to them was kind of a bored shrug. The prose was kind of leaden, Elric was a whiney douche who was incapable of solving his own problems and had to call on his chaos-god deus ex machina constantly. Moorcock had some kind of entertaining weirdness in some of his plot setups but it never felt cohesive enough to click with me. Mind you, this was a very long time ago I read them at this point but that is my general recollection. I sort of want to go read the first one again as an adult just to better understand their influence on others, but I can't help but feel other authors have done it better since.

Like I get that Moorcock was hugely influential in that era of sci-fi and fantasy with promoting the New Wave stuff and trying to pull genre fiction away from the Gernsbeck/Campell rut it had kind of been stuck in but reading him now is less...groundbreaking?

Also re: New Wave thing, back in the day people used to bitch about how upstarts like Moorcock and Zelazny and Delany were ruining the proper science fiction genre. Having people grog about them now is very :3:

I'm sorry, but I got into Moorcock in the late 90s and he's still amazing. His fantasy is actually FANTASTIC - weird and strange and surreal. Read Elric sure, but also read Blood or Mother London or especially the Jerry Cornelius books. His New Wave anthologies brought 'literate' sci-fi like Aldiss and JG Ballard into a market that needed it.
Seriously, you can pick up one of his paperbacks for next to nothing, and they're all good. If you need a guide, start here: http://ferretbrain.com/themes/59
Plus he wrote for Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult and designed the 'chaos' logo Warhammer still used.

Is there a good Jerry Cornelius RPG? I want to play a universe-hopping glam rock musical assassin who fights Margaret Thatcher with his friend Lemmy. Over The Edge, maybe?
Yes, Lemmy is a Moorcock character.
I haven't even got into the adaptation he wrote for the Sex Pistols movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Genius: The Transgression, Prostasia

Prostasia, the Axiom of Protection, works differently from most axioms in that its functionality does not change or expand at higher dots. Prostasia wonders provide Armor: 3 at one dot, 4 at two, 5 at three, 6 at four, and 7 at five dots. However, what form this Armor takes can vary, typically between worn suits of armor and various forms of shield devices. When applied to vehicles or automata with the Durable variable, Prostasia grants durability based on the vehicle's size.

Physical armor uses Craft, shields and energy fields of all kinds use Science, and organic armor uses Medicine but for some reason also requires Exelixi 1.

By default Prostasia armor is not bulletproof, provides equal amounts of general and ballistic damage resistance, and does protect from aggravated damage.

For extra functions, any shield or armor suit that protects the whole body (so no vests or directional shields or the like) automatically protects the wearer from any form of high-pressure environment like the deep ocean and makes the wearer invisible to radar, sonar, and other mundane sensors.

Genius posted:

Stacking Armor:

Wondrous armor stacks only at certain times and in certain ways. Physical armor, mundane or wondrous,
never stacks with other physical armor. Shielding devices do not stack with other shielding devices. Shielding
devices do stack with physical armor, whether it's mundane or wondrous, but in this case, the Armor rating
for the two types of Armor is equal to the higher Armor rating +1, not to the sum of the two Armor ratings.
Stacking ablative armor is ineffective, as equal damage is caused to every type of ablative armor worn. So if an
attack causes three levels of Lethal damage, the attack removes three levels of ablative Health from each type
of ablative armor worn.

If one set of of armor is bulletproof, the armor set is considered bulletproof and ballistic damage is reduced to
Bashing.

Stacking ablative and regular armor is difficult. First, one must be physical armor and the other must be a
shielding device, as required by the above stacking rules. Even then, the ablative armor automatically loses
two Health levels of damage per point of Armor offered by the regular armor.

Prostasia variables!

Ablative Armor lets a Prostasia suit or shield exchange points of armor protection for temporary ablative health levels that are removed first from any attack and can be recharged with Mania.

Anti-Scanning/Teleport Field has the wonder project a field that stops Apokalypsi scanners and Skafoi teleportation in or out. The bigger the field projected, the steeper the construction penalty.

Ballistic/General Rating lets the genius fiddle with the wonder's ballistic and general armor rating - they're the same by default, but this lets the genius decrease one to increase the other by the same amount.

Barrier downgrades the device's armor in exchange for creating a physical barrier that makes physical passage and contact difficult.

Bulletproof makes the wonder downgrade any lethal or aggravated ballistic damage to bashing.

Cage flips the device inside out and makes it resistant to damage and movement from within.

Data Security is a mad science security and firewall program for a computer, wheeee.

Expandable makes a wonder that can physically expand itself or its field to great distance on command but at a cost of armor rating.

Heavy Armor grants a bonus to armor rating but requires a minimum strength score, slows movement, and reduces defense.

Invulnerable armor ignores Armor Piercing from mundane weapons and five points of automatic success damage per point of armor from any source.

Limited Protection only resists certain kinds of attack, like fire or physical attack. Other forms completely ignore the armor/shield.

Lockbox makes a chest or secure room that's difficult to break into.

Mental Shield protects the wearer from any form of mental attack.

Opaque to Air makes the armor airtight, protecting against poison gas and the like but requires the genius to bring their own air supply, mundane or otherwise.

Reflection bounces missed attacks back at the attacker.

Shielding Device makes an energy shield or other activated form of armor that costs Mania to activate but is easier to build.

Targeted Deflection makes you Wonder Woman with her bracers, requiring the wearer to spend an action to actively deflect attacks.

Vest is a vest or breastplate or the like that can be concealed but isn't as effective as a full suit and called shots to the arms and head ignore it.

Prostasia faults!

Genius posted:

1. The armor is dangerous, producing random, destructive discharges of energy. Once per session (on
average), a discharge from the armor will damage, destroy, or push away an object nearby (usually something
the genius needs or wants).

2. The armor is vulnerable to one type of element or material, such as wood or silver. Attacks from that
material pass through it and ignore Armor.

3. The armor possesses a small but noticeable gap in its protection. This requires an active examination for a
full turn and a Wits + Crafts check vs. the Prostasia level to notice. However, once noticed, attackers can make
called shots (-1 to hit) to ignore Armor.

4. The armor grows constrictive if used for too long. Every minute of use incurs a cumulative –1 penalty to all
Dexterity-related actions.

5. The armor is a power-hog, requiring a number of Mania per minute equal to its rank; otherwise it locks up
(if solid) or deactivates (if a field).

6. The armor will fail when exposed to some common material, such as water or plastic. The wonder
reactivates one turn after being removed from the substance.

7. The armor rattles its user around: an attack that causes no damage instead causes one Health level of
Bashing damage.

8. The armor can get knocked out of alignment. Every hit has a 10% chance of knocking it out of alignment,
halving its effectiveness until it is fixed (which takes a Wits + Crafts check and one turn of work).

9. The armor is physically exhausting to use, reducing the user’s Strength by one per minute of use (minimum
1).

10. The armor only functions when a special condition is met. Roll on the special conditions chart, below

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

I'm sorry, but I got into Moorcock in the late 90s and he's still amazing. His fantasy is actually FANTASTIC - weird and strange and surreal. Read Elric sure, but also read Blood or Mother London or especially the Jerry Cornelius books. His New Wave anthologies brought 'literate' sci-fi like Aldiss and JG Ballard into a market that needed it.
Seriously, you can pick up one of his paperbacks for next to nothing, and they're all good. If you need a guide, start here: http://ferretbrain.com/themes/59
Plus he wrote for Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult and designed the 'chaos' logo Warhammer still used.

Is there a good Jerry Cornelius RPG? I want to play a universe-hopping glam rock musical assassin who fights Margaret Thatcher with his friend Lemmy. Over The Edge, maybe?
Yes, Lemmy is a Moorcock character.
I haven't even got into the adaptation he wrote for the Sex Pistols movie.

Well, there's StarChildren, the glam rock RPG, which could be used to run those Hawkwind fantasy novels Moorcock did.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Cythereal posted:

Genius: The Transgression, Prostasia

Prostasia faults!

Male Geniuses over 50 can develop Prostasia faults, but they can be prevented by regular check-ups from a urologist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Simian_Prime posted:

Male Geniuses over 50 can develop Prostasia faults, but they can be prevented by regular check-ups from a urologist.

It's an unfortunate choice of name, but all the axiom names are drawn from Greek. That, along with the catalyst names being German, are explained later in the book as reflections of different terminologies in the Peerage codifying at different points that have come into general use throughout the mad science community. French and Latin names for each are given later in the book with the note that only really old-fashioned Peers still use the French and use of Latin is mainly Lemuria's thing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also, if a Lemurian uses proper school-Latin, run. They're either really old or really obsessive, and that's not someone you want to spend a lot of time around (especially since they warp reality to match their twisted views).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So like those really old priests who insist on using the latinate mass, except they can literally alter reality to where you always spoke latin instead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

So like those really old priests who insist on using the latinate mass, except they can literally alter reality to where you always spoke latin instead.

And it's one of the less worrying aspects of how they alter reality. The actual rules for the unmada field and what exactly it does are pretty vague and left to the DM, though.

Still, it's one aspect of Genius that I like. There is no Masquerade in Genius created and enforced by geniuses. Indeed, one of the two major political factions wants to be publicly recognized. But the nature of Inspiration and Havoc means that they're incapable of being a public force. They're consigned to the shadows like the other supernaturals simply because that's how their abilities work.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kurieg posted:

More like around them miasma theory really is true, and diseases come from bad air.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

More like around them miasma theory really is true, and diseases come from bad air.

These are not mutually exclusive with Lemurians. :v: To be fair to the Lemurians it's repeatedly stated that most Lemurians are actually decent people with good intentions, they're just dangerously insane even by mad scientist standards in ways that leaves most of them with distinctly low regard for human life. Even so, when we get into more fluff later it's noted that Lemuria and the Peerage frequently team up against threats like the Illuminated, malevolent bardos, Hollow Men, and Void Engineers (no relation to the oMage void engineers).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I wish they had come up with a new name for the Genius void engineers, if only because they already did it once.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Rifts World Book Six: South America (Part 4): "When fighting vampires, the gun is loaded with solid wood warheads."

Weapons & Armor of Colombia

Blah blah mundane weapons blah blah knockoff Wilk's guns blah blah blow guns- wait, are there rules for blow guns? Anyway, it's time to discuss the newest set of guns that is mostly just like any other set of guns in Rifts. It notes that some people might have Kittani weapons and armor from Atlantis!... but those weapons may have been purchased using slaves. So there's that. (Buy Rifts World Book Two: Atlantis for numbers on that.)

A gun is just a collage of squares, right?
  • RC-10 Laser Pistol: This is "the best that can be produced with local technology", which must not be terribly impressive, because this is about as low-yield as M.D.C. weapons get. Police and thugs use it, pretty much the same guys, am I edgy yet?
  • RC-15 Laser Rifle: The Colombian army rifle, it's apparently sturdy and does decent damage for a rifle. It says "Many think of of it as an energy shotgun." but the rules have no actual shotgun-like effect, so not sure where that's coming from.
  • Dragon-1 Plasma Projector: Essentially like all other plasma rifles in Rifts with slightly lower damage. Cut / paste.
  • RP-C20 Rocket Pistol: Yes, it fires tiny rockets, which do weak normal damage, but can be loaded with wood-loaded warheads for use against vampires.
  • RR-C40 Rocket Rifle: Does actually about the same amount as a rail gun, only without requiring you to lug around a leaky nuclear reactor. Also can have wood-loaded rounds, which is pretty decent for chewing up vampires - most vamps will go down after three bursts and half a clip of ammo. (Rifts vampires are ridiculously loving tough, as it turns out.)
  • RAR-C15 Rocket Auto-cannon Rifle: This requires high strength or a tripod, but does some pretty great damage for a man-portable weapon, actually outclassing most weapons you see on vehicles. It'll chew up a vampire with wood rounds in about two bursts, or about 20% of an ammo belt.
  • RA-C15 Rocket Auto-cannon: The king of rocket-spitting Colombian justice, this requires even higher strength, a crew with a tripod, or a ridiculously strong monster person to use, but does even more damage, and can take out a vampire in one burst of wooden rounds on average.

It's best when your enemy can see your ammo supply, right?

I'm not sure why Colombia fucks around with laser or plasma weapons at all, given their rocket weapons do 50% to 200% extra damage, comparatively. They even have better range! It's an interesting way for Carella to sneak in higher damage value weapons to balance the game, but the actual effect when comparing guns is weird.

Colombian Robots & Power Armor

Because Colombia is lower-tech than the Coalition or Triax, they run on rechargeable batteries for the most part, using gas-powered generators on trucks to do recharges. Because of that, Colombian power armor doesn't see widespread use beyond their borders due to this "disturbing shortcoming". Given the price of nuclear reactors in Rifts (and the bizarre handwaving of mining fissie materials), though, it makes a lot more fictional sense than 90% of the technology presented so far.

D-20 Light Combat Exoskeleton

Genericommando.

An armor that makes a soldier about twice as tough as normal, lets them hup hup hup at about 50 MPH, and has a 12 hour power supply. It also comes with an RAR-C15 rifle. No relation to isocahedrons or 3e.

D-30 "Conquistador" Power Armor

Smallpox sprayer not included.

Yes, it is designed to look like a 10' conquistador. It's actually not that tough as far as power armor goes, though, tending towards th light end of things. It has a meh bazooka, mini-missile launchers, and a respectable rocket machinegun (much like the RA-C15, only longer-range), and a 10 hour power charge.

G-9A "Jaguar" Light Robor Vehicle

21' of catlike grace.

Apparently this pre-dates the rifts, because even the ancient people before the cataclysm apparently though that giant cat robots were a rad idea. However, they require having nuclear power plants imported, so their price is high. Also, the cat people of Omagua have secretly purchased and smuggled some of these in for use because they think they're rad. Cats are vain, I suppose. They actually aren't very tough for being 21' cat-men-robots, but can run around at 90 MPH. They have a decent auto-cannon, dinky eye lasers, and mini-missiles. They don't really live up to the hype.

G-18B "Aguirre" Heavy Combat Robot

"Vehicles based on assholes."

"This robot vehicle is named after an infamous Spanish explorer and soldier known for his atrocities and fierceness." Uh-huh. Anyway, this is a 27' robot named after an infamous murderer, and it's moderately tough, has an average autocannon, medium-range missiles, crummy lasers, and a silver vibro-sword that can slice up a vampire in two swings. Interesting that, given the mechanics of the rocket rifles, a soldier can carry a weapon just as deadly as a 21' tall robot.

Lancero Light Tank/APC

Turrets on turrets on turrets.

An APC with guns on, this comes in several flavors:
  • Type A: Designed for direct combat, holds 10 dudes.
  • Type B: Designed for artillery and support, holds 5 dudes.
  • Type V: Design for fighting vamps, because V is for Vampire. Holds 3 dudes.
They use a gas engine and "balloon tires" (not featured in the actual art) that make them amphibious. They have a main gun that does good damage either firing shells (Type A and B) or water (Type V), a light rocket machinegun, and a heavy rocket machinegun, and mini-missiles.

The big mystery? Type B is supposedly for artillery, but has no weapons that Type A doesn't have, and only seems to have a reduced crew compartment but nothing to fill that space - no extra ammo or weapons or anything like that.

:iiam:

Zancudo Transport & Attack Helicopter

It means "mosquito", which is a weird name for a vehicle you fight vampires with.

It's a helicopter with a crummy autocannon and mini-missiles and goes 200 MPH and I'm so bored with this, there are ambulance and cargo versions but their only change is missing the missiles bam im out

Next: A little Brom.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 4, 2015

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I see they started the gun show early in this book. Also is it Colombia or Columbia in the text?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

occamsnailfile posted:

I see they started the gun show early in this book. Also is it Colombia or Columbia in the text?

Well, the weapons and armor are at the end of each nation's "chapter", speaking loosely, as Rifts doesn't have a traditional chapter structure. I'm mostly disappointed that the Incans and Colombia are on opposite sides of the continent, so you have to do some gyrations to have mecha-Incas vs. mecha-Conquistadors.

and no i haven't been spelling colombia wrong all this time, ha ha, that would be terrible of me

:saddowns:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

I wish they had come up with a new name for the Genius void engineers, if only because they already did it once.

It's not like it would be hard, either. Genius void engineers are just mad scientist Cthulu cultists. But then you have the Navigators who are very transparently the oMage Void Engineers who jumped ship to the good guys and the Progenitors who are the oMage Progenitors with all instances of "magic" find/replaced with "mad science."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Colombian Robots & Power Armor

Because Colombia is lower-tech than the Coalition or Triax, they run on rechargeable batteries for the most part, using gas-powered generators on trucks to do recharges. Because of that, Colombian power armor doesn't see widespread use beyond their borders due to this "disturbing shortcoming". Given the price of nuclear reactors in Rifts (and the bizarre handwaving of mining fissie materials), though, it makes a lot more fictional sense than 90% of the technology presented so far.

It would be really nice to just retcon all of Rifts technology to be something like this. The Coalition having poo poo that can go Mach 2 for 12 hours should mean they would have the continent secured within a few years. Now, even with just battery powered mecha and fusion reactors being kinda rare, it would explain why they haven't advanced far beyond the Mississippi basin for five decades.

Of course, I've always figured that Rifts' reactors were heavy water fusion reactors, so it's more about building the reactor than mining uranium, plutonium, or other isotopes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Young Freud posted:

It would be really nice to just retcon all of Rifts technology to be something like this. The Coalition having poo poo that can go Mach 2 for 12 hours should mean they would have the continent secured within a few years. Now, even with just battery powered mecha and fusion reactors being kinda rare, it would explain why they haven't advanced far beyond the Mississippi basin for five decades.

Of course, I've always figured that Rifts' reactors were heavy water fusion reactors, so it's more about building the reactor than mining uranium, plutonium, or other isotopes.
I figure the big issue would be that you're wading into a giant forest of murderous lunatics of various kinds, drug-addled super soldiers, various different forms of demons and trained magicians, dragons, Juggalos, etc. - even the most fervent production of skull-themed warmachines can only make so much headway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nessus posted:

I figure the big issue would be that you're wading into a giant forest of murderous lunatics of various kinds, drug-addled super soldiers, various different forms of demons and trained magicians, dragons, Juggalos, etc. - even the most fervent production of skull-themed warmachines can only make so much headway.

The problem was never their ground forces, it was always that they have aerial firepower, observation, and transport all running on neverending nuclear power. They can literally fly forever. The notion that they don't know much about ... say Florida is more an admission that they are lazy or stupid and not that the world is dangerous.

• Locked thread