Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

Hey I've played entirely too much goddamn blitzball to get Wakkas poo poo. I was not going to deal with those scrubs. My team might as well just be called the Wedge Dream Team now.

Well if you're gonna be a monster, at least make sure you recruit Brother because he's loving untouchable. Seriously, he's so good it's sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Well if you're gonna be a monster, at least make sure you recruit Brother because he's loving untouchable. Seriously, he's so good it's sick

Brother is the support player. He swims around gathering the entire other team and then passes to Wedge who takes an unblocked shot from inside the goal.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

Brother is the support player. He swims around gathering the entire other team and then passes to Wedge who takes an unblocked shot from inside the goal.

Looks like you've got this nailed the gently caress down :dance:

The only other advice I can give is to yell "¡GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!" loudly every time you score. It makes the game much better.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Looks like you've got this nailed the gently caress down :dance:

The only other advice I can give is to yell "¡GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!" loudly every time you score. It makes the game much better.

I played three leagues yesterday at work (it was a very slow day) I have this blitzball thing too down. The game stopped being challenging

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I bet you all are the same monsters that go around trying to convince everyone that the card game in Final Fantasy 8 is actually fun :colbert:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kazil posted:

I bet you all are the same monsters that go around trying to convince everyone that the card game in Final Fantasy 8 is actually fun :colbert:

It is if you don't contaminate the entire game world with lovely rules :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

For the first hundred minutes it was fun. Then there were 400 more. :suicide: I lost 0 games and tied 2 out of 50 games.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My Triple Triad experience for the most part:

- Full control with 8/9 cards on board
- Opponent plays card
- PLUS SAME COMBO COMBO YOU LOSE

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Triple Triad ruled. Plus, as if the game wasn't broken enough as it is, when you get to the end you can just refine them all into like a million great items and just be literally invincible the entire time you fight Omega/Ultimecia.
really though, you can use the junction system to make your characters unnecessarily strong reaaally early on. Last time i played it I pretty much physical'd my way through everything.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
You had to play Triple Triad in order to get Squall's ultimate weapon by the end of disc 1. Now I want to replay FF8 and once again break the poo poo out of it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm playing a 4X computer game called Endless Space, and it's pretty good if you like that sort of thing. One thing I like in these spacey games is the different races, which EL handles with aplomb. Going into my first game I didn't know jack, so I picked a nice, science-focused race and was randomly given a race called "Horatio" as my sole opponent. 160 turns into the game and I'm set to nab the Science Victory, and I know that I could probably use the save to grab achievements for some other victories/conditions. But I still don't know what's up with this "Horatio" race. So I turn to the wiki, and I find out that some time ago there was a very rich man named Horatio who bought his own planet and, becoming bored without anyone to interact with, then filled it with clones of himself. Then he moved on to the next planet, and the next. All citizens are named Horatio and they are all beautiful in Horatio's eyes. Horatio's race-specific tech trees let him increase the maximum population for the planets he colonizes. Like sardine theory, or something.

Anyway, my little thing in this game is that I'm about to take my space nerds on a warpath through star system after star system of identical clones, masses so dense and so identical that it's more like a single living creature than billions of Horatios. The game doesn't go out of it's way to acknowledge it, but I like the idea of my guys cleaning up an out-of-control egotist by glassing planets filled with copies. My commander looking down on them, with a :stare: on his face. "Press the button, Frank."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I made the mistake of playing a game with Ellone and it turns out there are CRAZY MOON RULES. The Lunar Cry wasn't just powerful monsters populating the world, it was also the game of Triple Triad becoming nonsensical. No matter who I played or where, the CRAZY MOON RULES would slaughter me.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I made the mistake of playing a game with Ellone and it turns out there are CRAZY MOON RULES. The Lunar Cry wasn't just powerful monsters populating the world, it was also the game of Triple Triad becoming nonsensical. No matter who I played or where, the CRAZY MOON RULES would slaughter me.

The best way to avoid that is to challenge her (or whoever the gently caress) and when you get to the part where it says "play with these rules?", quit. Keep doing that and eventually it'll say "(something) has been abolished/spread throughout the region" and then it'll pretty much just be the rules you came with.
That's the theory, anyways. Works sometimes. Make sure you save before you try though.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I used to think that the cray local rules for Triple Triad were insane, then I remembered that every other family I ever played Monopoly with had bullshit rules like giving all the money that had been lost in the game to whoever landed on Free Parking and it suddenly made so much more sense.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

kazil posted:

It was infinitely better than the condensed piece of garbage that IX tried to pass off as a mini-game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Who What Now posted:

It was infinitely better than the condensed piece of garbage that IX tried to pass off as a mini-game.

I don't know what you're talking about. I loved putting a card with a bigger number next to a card with a smaller number and my card flips for some reason.

E: I would win Blitzball by scoring 1 goal higher then swimming my guy next to my own goalie so the AI bugs out.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm playing a 4X computer game called Endless Space, and it's pretty good if you like that sort of thing. One thing I like in these spacey games is the different races, which EL handles with aplomb. Going into my first game I didn't know jack, so I picked a nice, science-focused race and was randomly given a race called "Horatio" as my sole opponent. 160 turns into the game and I'm set to nab the Science Victory, and I know that I could probably use the save to grab achievements for some other victories/conditions. But I still don't know what's up with this "Horatio" race. So I turn to the wiki, and I find out that some time ago there was a very rich man named Horatio who bought his own planet and, becoming bored without anyone to interact with, then filled it with clones of himself. Then he moved on to the next planet, and the next. All citizens are named Horatio and they are all beautiful in Horatio's eyes. Horatio's race-specific tech trees let him increase the maximum population for the planets he colonizes. Like sardine theory, or something.

Anyway, my little thing in this game is that I'm about to take my space nerds on a warpath through star system after star system of identical clones, masses so dense and so identical that it's more like a single living creature than billions of Horatios. The game doesn't go out of it's way to acknowledge it, but I like the idea of my guys cleaning up an out-of-control egotist by glassing planets filled with copies. My commander looking down on them, with a :stare: on his face. "Press the button, Frank."

Endless Space is a pretty great game and if you're enjoying the characterization you should check out Endless Legend, their newest game. It's a bit like Civ 5 but with a lot more heart and a similar hero-based combat/bonus system to ES. Each race is completely unique and in addition to like half a dozen potential victories that everyone can complete has a special "questline" victory condition that tells the story of their journey across Auriga.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chard posted:

Endless Space is a pretty great game and if you're enjoying the characterization you should check out Endless Legend, their newest game. It's a bit like Civ 5 but with a lot more heart and a similar hero-based combat/bonus system to ES. Each race is completely unique and in addition to like half a dozen potential victories that everyone can complete has a special "questline" victory condition that tells the story of their journey across Auriga.

I kind of like that at least one of the questlines turns out pretty poo poo for the race, too. The Drakken's quest ends with them getting brainwashed by an ancient artifact that makes them completely abandon their original beliefs, traditions and plans. In fairness, this probably was a good thing for the Drakken's organizational skills, whose questline up until that point had been characterized by a poorly-structured, schizophrenic form of governance.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:13 on May 2, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All I remember about triple triad was at some point in disc 3 some rule was that you couldn't pick your cards, and like any good A.I driven thing it would give you total poo poo and the opponent the best possible ones, I stopped bothering with it after that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I kind of like that at least one of the questlines turns out pretty poo poo for the race, too. The Drakken's quest ends with them getting brainwashed by an ancient artifact that makes them completely abandon their original beliefs, traditions and plans. In fairness, this probably was a good thing for the Drakken's organizational skills, whose questline up until that point had been characterized by a poorly-structured, schizophrenic form of governance.

Yeah, there are a few that have pretty tragic or at least neutral conclusions. It makes sense in the context of another neat thing I forgot to mention, the summer/winter cycle. Most of the time it's summer and life is good for building cities and all that good 4X stuff. During winter units move more slowly and you gather fewer resources, and the winters get longer as you play because the planet is 'dying' i.e. moving out of the Goldilocks zone and can't sustain life past a certain point. It changes the dynamic a lot because getting caught mid-war like Napoleon can gently caress your plans right up.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, Triple Triad was pretty straightforward when you weren't getting hosed over by crazy rules, but I have no idea how the gently caress Tetra Master even works :psyduck:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

Yeah, there are a few that have pretty tragic or at least neutral conclusions.

I love the necrophage plotline so much. It's about a particular intelligent bugman who is trying to move their race forward because he literally has no one he can talk to on his level. He befriends a human scientist and integrates him into the hive. Unfortunately his new friend succumbs to the necrophage instincts and loses their personality. And it ends with the current necrophage dying out completely with their entire hopes left in some more evolved eggs buried deep underground on a frozen, dead world.

Endless Legend is actually a prequel to Space. You can find Auriga in ES but it's a long dead world only noteworthy for its vaults of underground alien artifacts.

EDIT: /\ IIRC, Tetra Master is based on a fairly popular traditional Japanese card game or something. The domestic audience would be able to figure it easier than foreigners.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

All I remember about triple triad was at some point in disc 3 some rule was that you couldn't pick your cards, and like any good A.I driven thing it would give you total poo poo and the opponent the best possible ones, I stopped bothering with it after that.

Random is a bitch of a rule but without the benefit of Open to let you at least see how you're being hosed over, poo poo gets infuriating pretty quickly.

Neither the manual nor the official strategy guide explained how spreading and abolishing rules worked, either :argh:

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

Endless Legend is actually a prequel to Space. You can find Auriga in ES but it's a long dead world only noteworthy for its vaults of underground alien artifacts.

Space is actually both a sequel and prequel to Legend. The Vaulters in Legend are crashed space people where as the Vaulters in Space are refugees from Auriga trying to find their home planet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mokinokaro posted:

And Dungeon of the Endless is a prequel to Legend. The survivors of the shipwreck in Dungeon likely became the original Vaulters, with the escape pod and crystal from Dungeon becoming the central focus of Legend's general quest victory. The narrator of the Vaulter's storyline in Legend is Opbot DV8, one of the playable characters in Dungeon. He might also be the one responsible for the shipwreck, but I might be making that up.

I love the way all the games are tied together like that. It's an ongoing story, but it's not actually central enough that you lose out by not knowing it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I hadn't seen Endless Legend or Dungeon of the Endless until now. How is DotE's multiplayer? Worthwhile?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Bad Munki posted:

I hadn't seen Endless Legend or Dungeon of the Endless until now. How is DotE's multiplayer? Worthwhile?

My friend and I enjoyed it a lot. You can control up to 4 character so it helps a lot as well because you eventually need to start splitting them up to cover dark rooms and sharing that responsibility makes things a bit easier. One thing to bear in mind is you need to be able to communicate easily because the resources are split between you, so in order to build the more expensive things you'll be going "can I get 10 industry" and so on a lot. Never tried using the text chat, it may be convenient enough for it or not.

The net code was a bit of a pain at first but I think those issues have been sorted out now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a couple friends and we're always looking for good multiplayer co-op games of pretty much any type. We just fire up a google hangout beforehand for games that don't have in-game voice, so communication shouldn't be an issue. So I'm guessing 4 people would be the sweet-spot for this? Or is it actually better, for some reason, to have less than that for character sharing or something?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

You'll probably want to play in pairs first because in order to unlock the other characters you need to find them, recruit them and then survive for 3 more floors with them. I've not played 4 player but I think if you do try to recruit a new character they replace who you currently have. Not too much of an issue for anyone you've already unlocked but you might stumble upon another char you want while half through unlocking one. Again, not played 4 player so I don't know.

e: Also tactically it can be a good idea to just leave a character in a dark room (dark rooms spawn monsters when opening a door unless someone is in it at the time). You can move them back out once the spawning period is over but that could become tiresome. Anyway, try both and see what works.

Overminty has a new favorite as of 19:22 on May 2, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

And Dungeon of the Endless is a prequel to Legend. The survivors of the shipwreck in Dungeon likely became the original Vaulters, with the escape pod and crystal from Dungeon becoming the central focus of Legend's general quest victory. The narrator of the Vaulter's storyline in Legend is Opbot DV8, one of the playable characters in Dungeon. He might also be the one responsible for the shipwreck, but I might be making that up.

I love the way all the games are tied together like that. It's an ongoing story, but it's not actually central enough that you lose out by not knowing it.

Opbot is also a hireable hero in Endless Space.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I'm enjoying Dungeon of the Endless in single player, at least. Already worth the twelve bucks or whatever it was. Looking forward to trying this out in multiplayer.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Bad Munki posted:

Well, I'm enjoying Dungeon of the Endless in single player, at least. Already worth the twelve bucks or whatever it was. Looking forward to trying this out in multiplayer.

I picked up the trilogy but have no one to play multiplayer with. If you're looking for another player, my Steam ID is LawfulWaffle.

Here's a screenshot of what Auriga looks like in Endless Space, since I've colonized it. I didn't terraform it, so it's still a massive, barren husk.

To stay on topic, I guess I'd say that a little thing is the way the developer was able to have create a through-line connecting significantly different games into a trilogy. It so much better than a game that ends on a cliffhanger with the promise of finishing the story in one or two more installments (like Advent Rising).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZV_ijKaPN8

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, Triple Triad was pretty straightforward when you weren't getting hosed over by crazy rules, but I have no idea how the gently caress Tetra Master even works :psyduck:

all i know is it has something to do with hexcodes

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Whatever this linked it seems to be gone now.

But yea the pre-fight banter is awesome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The best little thing about GTA 5 is that there are a surprisingly large number of clothing items you can put on to make Michael into the most dad dad ever. He's the best crime dad since Payday 2.

My dad sends me pics like this all the time and it's the funniest thing.

Alteisen posted:

Whatever this linked it seems to be gone now.

But yea the pre-fight banter is awesome.

It was just a thumbnail link to the actual image, except missing a letter.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The best little thing about GTA 5 is that there are a surprisingly large number of clothing items you can put on to make Michael into the most dad dad ever. He's the best crime dad since Payday 2.

My dad sends me pics like this all the time and it's the funniest thing.

It was just a thumbnail link to the actual image, except missing a letter.

Seriously if you don't make Michael look as much like Mel Gibson as possible you're playing the game wrong.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Making him look like Max Payne is also acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Skyrim. All of the houses and shops in Windhelm's dark elf slum have Morrowind-style unanimated doors.