Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
ok so what the gently caress are shadowsnakes and why is my shelter constantly spawning them on me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shadowsnakes...

Did you pick up anything... weird, out on your travels? I haven't ever encountered them, but I think I remember reading something about them once and have a guess what might be causing them.

It may be a side effect of an artifact, if you collected one.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I have seen that happen too. In my case they were spawning around a crater where the artifact was located. Taking the artifact lowered my speed but made the snakes go away, and if I used it, it spawned friendlyish shadow snakes that just sort of indiscriminately attacked whatever was nearby.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I haven't found anything too weird in my travels, although I have a hunch the pile of forever sparking debris behind my house might have something to do with it.

Ok yep its definitely the smoking pile of ever sparking wreckage.

Man this stuff is spooky, I'm being pelted with rocks and snakes are spawning all the time as I dig it up

Trip report:Found a set of 'fractal beads' that when activated create a loving shitload of blood, emit a disturbing scream and cause my body to decay! So all in all 10/10 worth being pelted with rocks in a lightning storm while digging that poo poo up

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 3, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That's loving badass. What do they do to nearby zombies?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's loving badass. What do they do to nearby zombies?

Generally? Cause them all to descend on me from miles around since the scream is loving loud and lowers my morale.

I mean if I had a lawnmower and some fuel it'd be awesome...

Is it possible to create a car from scratch?

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 3, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Motherfucker posted:

Is it possible to create a car from scratch?

Yes but it'll take a long time and you'll need plenty of materials. Usually it's just better to take an already working vehicle and add to it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Generally? Cause them all to descend on me from miles around since the scream is loving loud

Dude that's good as hell. Set up a ton of deep/spiked pits a little ways away from a mall or superstore or something (beyond visual range at the very least), use your scream generator to lure a gigantic horde of zombies to it, and gently caress off before the horde catches sight of you. Repeat as needed (resting up between uses) to thin them out and clear the megabuilding enough that you can walk in, brain the stragglers, grab your trusty shopping cart and steal absolutely loving everything.

If you know of somewhere with a magma vent, that poo poo is hilariously good at owning zombies since they'll cheerfully stroll right over it and melt. You don't get to loot any of their stuff that way, though.

Maybe keep an eye on it for other weird effects though, those items can do all sorts of zany poo poo and some of it isn't immediately apparent. However, if that thing really is louder than a beeping car horn or gunshot or whatever, it could possibly be a really handy tool for moving large numbers of zombies around where you want them. Just plan ahead carefully, is all.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Maybe keep an eye on it for other weird effects though, those items can do all sorts of zany poo poo and some of it isn't immediately apparent.

Speaking of which, use a geiger counter on yourself, or the wristband, when carrying/using that artifact.

Started off near a small podunk village, surprisingly enough, there's a military surplus store in the center of it, and while there's no weapons or ammo on the shelves, there's a fair amount of MREs, a book on how to SMG, elbow pads, hard leg guards, a MBE vest with superalloy plates :stare: and a, I poo poo you not, a basic power armor suit. No way to power it, but hey! There is as bit of a fungus infestation somewhere, however a delightfully helpful fireman zombie dropped all of his firefighting gear in fair shape, including the PBA mask. Two certified pre-owned, only driven once by a little old lady in wisconson solar powered E-cars north of the house I'm holed up in. Currently telling a massive infestation of black widows in a basement to get out, and they can't touch me through the fireman gear.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 3, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Is it actually possible to find clay digging near rivers? I just spent a while trying and found nothing.

Edit: Ah geez there's an 'extract clay mound' construction. D'oh.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

And in the second, and last, black widow spider surprise basement, there is a another basic power armor sitting on a shelf. Also several dozen spiders bashed to a pulp. I won't be needing food for some days!

edit: And a medical mutagen/serum book. :psyduck: A clean suit, plutonium cells, a FTK-93 fusion gun. :psypop:

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 3, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ulvirich posted:

And in the second, and last, black widow spider surprise basement, there is a another basic power armor sitting on a shelf. Also several dozen spiders bashed to a pulp. I won't be needing food for some days!
Meat rots. You may want to spend some time turning it into jerky, if you can find a bottle of salt or two.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Meat rots. You may want to spend some time turning it into jerky, if you can find a bottle of salt or two.

Yeah, no can do on that. No salt, no saline solution, no salt water, no smoker, and no vacuum. Oh well.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Check the outskirts of your map if there's a swamp (light blue Fs) and shopping cart a jerrycan over there, fill it with salt water, head back, never have to worry about salt again.

As far as clay goes it took me a long time to figure out how to get some. You have to find shallow water, use the construction menu with a shovel to dig up clay, and then smash the clay (which turns the mound into deep water). Having said that clay is not too useful for construction (you need to fire clay into bricks and then use mortar which is extremely hard to get) but quite good for making containers of various sizes (they work well as raincatchers) or a cooking pot if you find yourself in need of one. Main thing is that you'll need a charcoal kiln, some leather and cooking/lamp oil or fats to work with the stuff.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 3, 2015

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Despite my grumblings about what passes for development over there, all the stories have convinced me I need to pick it up again.

Wanted a relatively forgiving start, so I picked the cabin in the woods spawn. It turned out to be even more forgiving than I was hoping, with an LMOE shelter and a mansion within walking distance. I'm probably going to kit myself out, stock up on imperishables and grind my skills a bit, then see if I can take on the mansion with all the LMOE guns.

E: Also I remember my first long-term character eventually succumbed to swamp monsters. That was back in an earlier version where going within the general vicinity of a swamp would spawn a neverending stream of swamp monsters that would follow you to the ends of the earth and lay siege to wherever you slept for all time. I could defeat them without much trouble, it was just such a drag doing so non-stop I gave up on that character.

Double e: Cleared out the mansion on day two, made a quick run to the nearest town and grabbed a shopping cart. Current plan is to move all supplies to the mansion and live like a king.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 3, 2015

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So I have a 55 gallon drum outside full of rainwater. How do I get water out of it and into, say, a gallon jug? Am I stuck just cooking it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You're gonna have to pick it up and pour.
Empty your hands so you can hold it in them, then pick it up. Unload it into smaller containers. Put it down again before you spine snaps like a chopstick.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

You're gonna have to pick it up and pour.
Empty your hands so you can hold it in them, then pick it up. Unload it into smaller containers. Put it down again before you spine snaps like a chopstick.

Hahahaha, Jesus. That's like 450 pounds. Can I fit a pump on it, maybe?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I dunno if you have options if you're not very strong and unable to lift the thing. At least you won't run out of water for crafting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think you can drink from it directly if you stand on it.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Ok guys so my RV is up and running as I stated before but... I'm VERY close to making a foodco kitchen buddy. The question is, where the hell to I find a hand press and die set? Furthermore, what should I put in the RV? I have a bed inside, three cargo holds for 3K space, a mini fridge, and a kitchen unit which I'm predicting I'm gonna replace with the foodco kitchen buddy. I also found a chemistry set so I'm guessing I can install that too? And does the minifridge actually do anything or will it just be a waste of empty space?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Don't replace the kitchen, they do different things.

When powered, the fridge will keep food fresh longer, but you could probably chuck it if you are fine with nonperishable food.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fridge will chew up a lot of power, but it keeps food fresh. If you're running a generator it should be fine (if you can't be bothered smoking/dehydrating), I wouldn't recommend it on solar.
You'll actually want to replace the kitchen with the chemistry set. The chem set includes a hotplate. so install a faucet and stuff a pot in the chemistry set's storage and you've duplicated everything the kitchen can do, plus chemistry.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
fridge kinda sucks, it helps but doesn't keep food fresh for long enough to matter imo especially with how much energy is sucks. only turn it on if you have desperate problems finding food, which is not a problem if you can cook acorns.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A lot of stuff needs to be turned on using the vehicle controls before it will work.

I kinda want to put a UPS conversion on my flashlight so I don't have to keep recharging it all the time, but then it won't be nearly as bright as my extended-battery flashlight.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

You don't have to pick it up if you're willing to fuddle around with the / menu. I did something in there that let me pour a 55gal drum of diesel into another one without grabbing either of them.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Alrighty, now where can I find a hand press and die set?

EDIT: The homewrecker is good for smashing house walls and harvesting rebar, right?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 4, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Nope, just mulch all your bones to a pulp picking it up and pouring it into a soda bottle.

It's dumb.

You could build a vehicle and stick a water tank on it, then fill that using the 55 gal drum, water tanks are a really helpful liquid management tool, as are the wooden barrels you can build in the construction menu.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Blackray Jack posted:

Alrighty, now where can I find a hand press and die set?

Make a extended battery mod and slap it on a soldering iron and put together an electric forge rig, upgrade it into a vehicle forge rig and slap it on your car and fabricate your own die set! Just gotta turn a burned out car into scrap.

e: You'd need clean water to fill a vehicle water tank, so no go there unless you have a purifier handy.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 4, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nftyw posted:

e: You'd need clean water to fill a vehicle water tank, so no go there unless you have a purifier handy.

I just realised that reading it back :doh:, ok yeah large volume liquid management is just rubbish in general.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Aaah. It requires to be learned from a book, none of which I have, sadly.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
I just keep a water tank on my vehicle, then once it runs low I take a few jerrycans to a river, then do the clean water recipe until it's all clean, dump in the tank, and repeat. Takes a few minutes for days' more water.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
These UPS thingies and UPS conversion mods seem useful but how exactly do they work? I'm reading snippets from this thread about how they're good but how exactly would I use one to good effect?

Example, the makeshift welder I'm using is draining me of all my batteries and a UPS appears to be a solution, or a UPS conversion mod.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blackray Jack posted:

These UPS thingies and UPS conversion mods seem useful but how exactly do they work? I'm reading snippets from this thread about how they're good but how exactly would I use one to good effect?

Example, the makeshift welder I'm using is draining me of all my batteries and a UPS appears to be a solution, or a UPS conversion mod.

A UPS is basically a big battery you charge by feeding it normal batteries, some things requrire a UPS to function, and drain UPS power instead of having their own charge.

A UPS conversion mod, I would assume, would allow a tool to drain power from a UPS rather than its own source.

But it doesn't stop you from using battery power, unless you find some way to charge the UPS without using batteries, or presumably use the bionic version if there is one. The only benefit to a UPS is slightly centralising your battery power, otherwise they're just a hassle.

Oh I suppose you could use one that runs on plutonium too, but they're hard to find and harder to find fuel for, though the fuel does last a while I would think.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 4, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Then you'd need to power the UPS though.

A Universal Power Supply is what you use to feed really power hungry stuff like laser guns. Instead of having a laser gun the size of a fridge because of all the flashlight batteries stuffed into it, the laser connects to a seperate power supply that you stuff in your backpack. This means that normally speaking converting your electrical tools to run off UPS isn't useful, since you still need just as many batteries (just you put them in the UPS, not the tool itself).

That's not the end of the story however. Should you find an Advanced UPS it runs on plutonium fuel, for 500 power per cell (2500 power per drop). Or you can modify a standard UPS to be rechargeable and use the charging station in your car to keep it charged (you'll want several rechargeable UPSs if you plan to use energy weapons). Or if you're cyborg enough you can have a UPS built into your hand and run poo poo off of your internal power sources, whatever they happen to be.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

So playing as a mutant I've gotten pretty adept at surviving in the woods wearing nothing but a bra and panties (female characters start with more clothes therefore more rags to make crap out of, that's how on the margins I roll)

Scavenge ALL THE UNDERGROWTH you can get your tentacles on. Seriously, you're looking for a withered plant, plastic bottles and tin cans. You want the plant to make a rock knife and the tin-can can be used to cook the eggs you find and boil water with just a fire... Fire making will be a pain in the rear end but generally by the time you've found / made all this poo poo you can find a road with a car or something with a lighter in it. Once you got a knife go around indiscriminately sharpening sticks you find for valuable fabrication skill + if you have too run away from something nasty there's always sticks lying around to throw as well as rocks (throwing regular sticks isn't great but sharpened sticks are almost ok)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you're going to play in the woods I would recommend the extra survival tools mod, lets you make things like firedrills and ember carriers.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

If you're going to play in the woods I would recommend the extra survival tools mod, lets you make things like firedrills and ember carriers.

That's default stuff in my build... I can make fire drills and junk already.

Although you need fairly good survival skills and a ton of string which can be a pain in the rear end when you're innawoods.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Blackray Jack posted:

Yeah, UPS units won't help for that purpose. A better thing would be to attach a rechargable battery mod to the welder and drop it into a recharging station on a vehicle, I use an electric car for that purpose. The thing is rechargable battery mods will let you use the things several times tops before they need to be recharged, and welders tend to get used very often. Recharging stations are good for things that see occasional use or don't use up much charge, like electric jackhammers, soldering irons, hotplates and similar such things. Plus, they're a pain to make.

If you really want a full time welder you can either hunt down or fabricate a welding rig to slap on a car with a lot of battery power, or hunt down an Integrated Toolset CBM in a lab. You'll need computer skills or a pickaxe to break in plus lots of caution to avoid the smg-armed turrets inside, but the Integrated Toolset basically lets you weld with your fingertips, provided you gear yourself up with some power storage and a way to fuel yourself (Metabolic Interchange is probably the most useful method).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Would it be possible to expand the RV somehow, like widening or lengthening it so I can put in more cargo spaces?

Also, can the cargo holds actually hold more than their 1K or do I have to keep it at or under 1K?