Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Even pandas want to snuggle in panda floof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

they are having a good time

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

in every single situation they are in red pandas just look like they are
a. having a good time
b. just hanging out
c. a and b

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:iamafag:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Mapparu posted:

a. having a good time
b. just hanging out
c. a and b

which one is this

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The panda is having a good time.

The bird is just hangin out.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

more great pics from that photoshoot

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I don't usually smoke trees but when I do

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePEzual0GyM

I know they're endangered and shouldn't become pets, but I like to wonder what would happen if they tried to domesticate them along the lines of the Siberian grey fox experiments.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

It'd be like owning a large ferret w/ special dietary needs, some alternative to fresh bamboo would be needed. Also I think they'd probably need a large outdoor enclosure to keep them safe when unattended. Dunno if they'd ever be trainable like dogs.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mapparu posted:

a. having a good time
b. just hanging out
c. a and b

The red panda exhibit is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool pandas there. In the encolsure you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the red panda motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with pandas.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Silver Alicorn posted:

It'd be like owning a large ferret w/ special dietary needs, some alternative to fresh bamboo would be needed. Also I think they'd probably need a large outdoor enclosure to keep them safe when unattended. Dunno if they'd ever be trainable like dogs.

The fox domestication project showed that it can only take tens of generations to get to a decent level of domestication, not necessarily hundreds. Right now they would absolutely destroy a house as an indoor pet, and they're excellent climbers who can easily escape anything like a normal backyard. Zoos don't train or breed for pet qualities, but 20 generations of domestication should end up with something that would fall somewhere within the dog range of trainability and intelligence.

They're not straight up carnivores/predators like most of our major pets. Opportunistic omnivores more like racoons, except the easiest to find food in their natural habit is the low quality, high quantity bamboo. A soft pelleted diet with fresh fruit supplements would probably work fine if they were common enough to be pets.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah from what I've seen of zoos feeding them, they seem to do quite well without bamboo at all, since they're easily able to handle insects, small animals, all sorts of fruit and vegetables etc.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Silver Alicorn posted:

As far as exotic mammals go, that actually doesn't sound that bad. It sounds like they'd be roughly on the level of a wallaby or coatimundi - responsibility well above most domestic animals, but quite feasible for a serious animal lover.

Now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised there's never been any serious push go get red pandas into the pet trade. I mean, we were fully aware of their existence back when mail-order monkeys and alligators were being sold out of comic books.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cockmaster posted:

Now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised there's never been any serious push go get red pandas into the pet trade. I mean, we were fully aware of their existence back when mail-order monkeys and alligators were being sold out of comic books.

Being endangered is a big deal. And I don't think they were ever really common in the way that anyone in florida can go loot a gator nest.

If they didn't live way up on some mountains in the middle of nowhere, they probably would have been pushed more as pets.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nighthand posted:

The red panda exhibit is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool pandas there. In the encolsure you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the red panda motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with pandas.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The biggest hurdle is probably just the birth rate. If they had litters of six cubs twice a year it'd be a different story.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

The biggest hurdle is probably just the birth rate. If they had litters of six cubs twice a year it'd be a different story.

Birthrate, and that you'd need something like 20% of all the red pandas on the planet.

Basically it's the best super villain plan. Build a compound high up in the mountains, then somehow take control of the world's red panda supply to turn your compound into most powerful stockpile of :3: on the planet.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Every loving day. Every single loving day this little guy just sits there and gives me this stupid look on his face.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Climbing skill.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

And somehow I missed 3 red panda diaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UohRSlXmpfI&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbesByqbQ0&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h20c-iIRe94&hd=1

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Aye aye cap'n

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I stayed up too late last night.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The sound she makes is pretty weird!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lh47WtOJeY

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

"Davi Ann Norsworthy, zookeeper posted:

“Red pandas are not the brightest of the animal kingdom,” she said in a whisper.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm gonna have to disagree there, Tim.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This thread is like the greatest PSA ever. I'd never noticed a Red Panda until I was made aware but now I see them EVERYWHERE.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

They're all over this thread!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This thread is like the greatest PSA ever. I'd never noticed a Red Panda until I was made aware but now I see them EVERYWHERE.

I know right? Never noticed them in my back yard before but now they're there most days.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Seriously!! They're in my lab at work chewing my ethernet cables up! I need those!!

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

which one is this

I'll title this one...
"Chillin'"

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Hello I would like to be even more aware of red pandas

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Some red pandas hang out on the ground, sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008