Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
All I know about this game is the intro that broke a certain persons capture card while they were streaming, then they threw it off their balcony, not naming names. :v:
Been looking forward for someone to start a proper lp of this.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's a shame they didn't just keep that Sage fight restricted to that one fountain area, and then switched to the punch-out style section, when he had a slither of health left. Some tweaking to his tells, too. The 2nd and 3rd stages are just P* blowing their wad too early.

Like in Bayo 1, there's a nice steady sense of progression to the Jeanne fights. Same with the DMC Vergil fights, W101 Vorkken fights, and any similar rival fights. Here, it starts off the same, but they're then like "NOPE GOTTA CRANK UP THE SPECTACLE!", and it impacts the gameplay, in a bad way.

I do like his moveset though, and I'm a sucker for that big, fat, in-your-face Okami reference. :3:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Vnat posted:

I just noticed that baby outfit has underboob and now I have questions for the costume designer.

The other costumes in that image are stereotyped "school uniform swimsuit" and :barf: "kindergarden student":barf: imagery. So it's a natural progression of horribleness.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Okay I really loved the Lumen Sage's beast transformation. It's really cute.

This was the best image I can find of it without things...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's a shame that the night time city only lasts for one short chapter, because it looks really good, especially the fountain area and the wrecked buildings sticking out of the water.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I was looking forward to the Lumen Sage as a rival fight and admittedly the first part isn't the worst thing (gently caress his dodge counter though) the next parts though are "MAN BET YOU WISH YOU WEREN'T FIGHTING SO YOU COULD ACTUALLY WATCH THIS poo poo" like Metal Gear Solid 4.

Also Madama Butterfly looks clunky as poo poo in that punch out section. Like I think Temperantia's fists are clipping right through her head when she dodges.

Just on boss fights: though all the boss fights of B2 are not as good as B1's none in B2 are as bad as Fortitudo in B1. Aside from Jeanne the boss battles in both games are kinda bad. B2 does manage to make them worse (gently caress flying battles).

Undine is the worst weapon.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 21, 2015

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

toddy. posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

https://vine.co/v/OhTJAXLzIap hmmmmmm

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Have no idea why Undine sucks? It was a pretty nice weapon from when I used it?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

With Undine I just found that it's moveset was way too slow and has way too little firepower to compensate for it. Freezing stuff was cool.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It doesn't have the cool sound effects from the first games' claws. I can still remember that satisfying pop you got when charging the lightning claws.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

With Undine I just found that it's moveset was way too slow and has way too little firepower to compensate for it. Freezing stuff was cool.

That and its moveset isn't unique and it wants you to sit still and vulnerable for long periods in an action game with enormous emphasis on movement. I've heard it can freeze Masked Lumen, but that's hardly worth the effort and is probably riskier than just fighting him normally. It's just really badly outclassed and its gimmick was made way too weak.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

chumbler posted:

That and its moveset isn't unique and it wants you to sit still and vulnerable for long periods in an action game with enormous emphasis on movement. I've heard it can freeze Masked Lumen, but that's hardly worth the effort and is probably riskier than just fighting him normally. It's just really badly outclassed and its gimmick was made way too weak.

This a 1000x times over. They have good potential, but just fall flat due to their weight. They feel like killgore and durga mixed and the damage cut in half. I still end up using them occasionally because they're not AWFUL. They're just not good.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Undine is terrible because of the other weapons in this game outclass it. Compared to what the other weapons have to offer, it just doesn't really do anything special to justify using it. Kafka is also in this category, but at the very least has use as a long range weapon. The dual elemental thing is inevitably going to mean comparing it unfavourably with Durga, which was probably one of the best weapons in the first game and had so much more to it. Durga had two different movesets for electric/fire and really opened up stylish combo capabilities. It also had the secondary usage of making you immune to environmental hazards (fire enemies, walking on lava, walking on electricity). On the other hand, Undine has the same moveset for both elements, the hand and feet combos are pretty much exactly the same, and the actual flamethrower thing is useless at anything other than close range.

Plus there's the fact that Undine's elemental effect doesn't really do anything. You can set enemies on fire and freeze them but there's almost no benefit to doing so, especially for ice as it takes so long to freeze enemies. There's not even any added benefit to using the opposite element against elemental enemies like Urbane. All in all I'm pretty :geno: about Undine.

Anyway, here's the blog post I was talking about in the video: http://platinumgames.com/2014/09/05/cut-scene-production-in-bayonetta-2/

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

In that punch-out bit, gigabayo's punches seemed kinda poo poo imo, like there were no power behind them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nalesh posted:

In that punch-out bit, gigabayo's punches seemed kinda poo poo imo, like there were no power behind them.

It's because they're not slowing down the animation when the hit connects, to make it look like there's an impact. It's a little trick they use to make it seem that there's weight behind it. You can see it whenever Bayo uses a wicked weave punch; when the fist connects, there's a brief second of slow down, before the enemy reacts to the hit. For whatever reason, they didn't bother here.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Nah don't think it's that, it just doesn't seem to have followthrough, like her body isn't moving at all, only the arms.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 05: Contractual Obligations No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Chernobog

A scythe containing souls captured by the god of death Chernobog, who had been expelled to the farthest depths of Inferno.

Rodin infused the scythe with some particularly exquisite souls, restoring the weapon to its former glory.

Those cut by its three giant, creeping blades have their wounds infected by darkness and their souls rot to the bottom of Inferno.

Gravitas

A Dominion in the Second Sphere of angels. The name Gravitas means stern and severe, so this angel is often depicted as steep, uninhabited mountains forever frozen in ice.

His extreme cold has been unpenetrated for eons, and it shows no change through the passage of time. Gravitas awaits silently for an opponent willing to sacrifice everything to face him.

Pain

A powerful tank that would trample angels with bloodstained iron wheels and drag them into a world of nightmares during wars with Paradiso. According to Vigrid legend, Pain's wheels were used for torture, until becoming sentient themselves and reincarnating in Inferno.

Similar to how those of strong faith are said to have rare encounters with angels, humans harboring strong feelings of doubt are more susceptible to finding themselves face-to-face with a demon.

Like his name, Pain is said to feed on the subconscious feelings of injury and hurt in one's soul and will appear anywhere people misguidedly attack each other in an effort to obscure their own sense of loss and loneliness.

City of Water

The Water Capital: that's my name for this town.

Noatun is surrounded by oceans and lakes. The sea provides more than enough for the residents to sustain themselves. The snow from the peak of Fimbulventr melts into a river that flows to the base of the mountain. The river provides drinking water for Noatun's inhabitants, then eventually collects to form a breathtaking lake.

At the lake there is the Cathedral of Cascades, an ancient piece of architecture with a very mystifying presence.

Though some of this ancient building still holds together (including its unique pointed roof), the pathway that once connected the city to the mountain's peak has crumbled to the bottom of the lake.

Underground Graveyard

There is said to be a resting place for the servants of God in the Cathedral of Cascade's submerged underground.

The locals told me of a terrible guardian that prowls the corridors, devouring the soul of any fool who trespasses in that sacred place.

The people of this town must be fed up with me sticking my inquisitive nose where it doesn't belong. Why else would they concoct such a ludicrous tale?

The phrase "servants of God" calls to mind images of ordained prophets passing down divine wisdom. I imagine these disciples also played a part in the shadowy past of the witch and the sage.

I will find clues to the origins of these clans somewhere in this cathedral... I can feel it.

The natives here don't know who they're dealing with. It takes more than a few tired ghost stories to put a damper on the journalistic flame of one Mr. Luka Redgrave.

Trademark

Crests are often used to show the lineage and ancestry of a people.

The Umbra and Lumen also used such crests to represent their clans. The symbols were based on the object of each clan's respective ideology: the moon for the witches and the sun for the sages.

These distinctive symbols, etched upon every Lumen or Umbran object of any importance, make an investigative journalist's job easy. A single glance tells you from which culture an object came from.

The Umbran tombs sealed away by the Lumen are a unique example: with an Umbran seal on the tomb and a Lumen seal on the marker atop it, they bear the motifs of both the sun and the moon.

A crest also exists for Aesir, the God of Chaos. Carvings of this symbol are a familiar sight around Noatun.

Made up of a series of overlapping diamonds, each component is said to represent a single layer in the matrix of time and space that forms our universe.

There is a piece of metal embedded within Aesir's crest that shines with an eerie glow. I've heard it contains some deeper significance, but I am going to need a bit more time to crack this particular chestnut.

Advanced Technology

Sometimes, we discover things from the past we find hard to believe.

I have seen artifacts displaying a level of civilization that could not have existed in the time they are claimed to have been created. Ruins are found built with technology far too advanced for that of their era. Noatun is said to be one such place where this phenomenon occurs. Unsure of what I would find, I decided to investigate the Cathedral of Cascades.

The Cathedral stands in the middle of a lake, requiring me to take a boat to reach it. Its outer walls were in worse condition than I had expected; as debris blocked the entrance, it took a little improvisation to find a way inside. Surprisingly, the Cathedral was in much better condition indoors, and I reached the center of the building in no time. It seemed to be the base of the tower in Noatun that almost scrapes the sky, created to be symbolic of the sacred mountain, Fimbulventr. They say there used to be a path from the top of the tower that connected to the peak of the mountain.

There was this strange sphere-like object sitting on the ground too. Could it have been the ancient elevator I heard the townspeople talking about?

Curiously, there were no wires or anything attached to it. How's it supposed to take people up to the top? I didn't see stairs either, so I assumed it was an elevator... but maybe I was wrong.

Some of the things people come up with, seriously... Whatever that was, I want to figure it out eventually. I snapped a photo, so I'll show it to someone who might know a thing or two about it. Of course, only after I finish the rest of my investigation here.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
This chapter had so many great things. Also was really digging the bits of programmer chat.

The health/magic bug when you enter a Muspelheim probably works exactly as you said in the video, though it really bugs me how it would've escaped playtesting. Speaking from a programmer's perspective, this should be a fairly easy fix; if the health/magic meters from outside are stored in memory somewhere, it should be trivial to have them updated to add in the bonus from a Witch Heart or a Moon Pearl (well that really depends on how they coded the system I guess).

The walking-on-stairs thing is also really jarring whenever it's pointed out, and would usually be fixed with Inverse Kinematics. IK is commonly used to align joints to their proper positions on uneven terrain. Bayonetta's center of gravity would follow a basic slope up the staircase, to allow smooth movement upward, and the feet would land on a more detailed mesh containing each individual step. Proper application of IK would have the legs move and rotate to the proper orientation to support that without moving the center of gravity. That actually is a pretty difficult problem to solve in practice, but I wouldn't think that beyond the capabilities of PG to implement. Perhaps there were time constraints and in most cases it looked good anyway so they focused on other things.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Loki kissed us, and now we've got his snake 'inside us'.

Oh my.

I am shocked you guys have never seen a real live snakes in the wild.
I barely go outside and I've still seen 3 or 4 while out in nature. Usually you just hang around and they'll slither off.
Unless of course, they're sitting on their nest...

Things they've added:
Air fighting (which is awful)
Underwater fighting (which is awful)

I'm seeing a pattern here...

Edit: for the health fix, if they'd stored health as the % rather than the raw value, they could have avoided the whole disappearing HP issue.

It should be a 2-4 line fix, I would have thought

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 27, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Things they've added:
Air fighting (which is awful)
Underwater fighting (which is awful)

I'm seeing a pattern here...
It's kinda funny considering during all their previews for the game Platinum Games & Nintendo were really hyping up the underwater and aerial fights.

Chernobog was kinda fun with UC. It's impossible to not hit everything on screen when you have Chernobog and UC.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Golden Goat posted:

It's kinda funny considering during all their previews for the game Platinum Games & Nintendo were really hyping up the underwater and aerial fights.

At least the underwater levels aren't DMC2 levels of bad (barely any control over character momentum, super slow, dodgy camera, etc), but yeah, aside from a bit of spectacle from the aerial fights (which is more a distraction than anything else), neither add anything to the game. \:

The demons are pretty cool in this game - it's an unsual aesthetic choice to have mechanical-inspired demons, but it makes a nice contrast to the more organic, fleshy angels (and demons found in other games).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 30, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I read that as "ChernoBONG" and was laughing like an idiot for a while until I re-read it.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 06: Let It Rip! No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Valor

As his name would imply, Valor is a warrior that regards bravery in the highest degree. Taking the form of a shield, he stands with Valiance at the front lines of Paradiso's wars against Inferno.

It is said that when the people are in need, a warrior clad in solid gold armor will appear to rescue them, carrying a sword and shield of incredible power. While fending off incoming evils with the shield, the warrior will eliminate its enemy with a single blow of its sword, claiming victory for those with a strong-held faith.

Hydra

A once beautiful maiden who was banished to hell for the sins of her younger sister and mutated into a snakelike monster with seven heads.

Her human heart has long since been lost, and she viciously attacks anything she deems an enemy. Those trapped by her seven heads must suffer slow, painful deaths.

Out of her many heads, only one is real; slicing off any of the others will not amount to much more than a scratch.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Ramengank posted:

The health/magic bug when you enter a Muspelheim probably works exactly as you said in the video, though it really bugs me how it would've escaped playtesting. Speaking from a programmer's perspective, this should be a fairly easy fix; if the health/magic meters from outside are stored in memory somewhere, it should be trivial to have them updated to add in the bonus from a Witch Heart or a Moon Pearl (well that really depends on how they coded the system I guess).

I can't remember if it was the most recently posted update or the next one but Yoshesque explains how the checkpoint system works in this game vs Bayo1 and I'm starting to see a little bit of muddle in the mixture, though I still agree it doesn't seem too hard to fix.

Ramengank posted:

The walking-on-stairs thing is also really jarring whenever it's pointed out, and would usually be fixed with Inverse Kinematics. IK is commonly used to align joints to their proper positions on uneven terrain. Bayonetta's center of gravity would follow a basic slope up the staircase, to allow smooth movement upward, and the feet would land on a more detailed mesh containing each individual step. Proper application of IK would have the legs move and rotate to the proper orientation to support that without moving the center of gravity. That actually is a pretty difficult problem to solve in practice, but I wouldn't think that beyond the capabilities of PG to implement. Perhaps there were time constraints and in most cases it looked good anyway so they focused on other things.

I thought IK was mostly confined to non-static animations (procedurally generated and the like) which is why you don't see it too often used in games. I've seen a few games do it but they're the super high-tech ones like MGS4 and Uncharted 3 (iirc).

Pesky Splinter posted:

At least the underwater levels aren't DMC2 levels of bad (barely any control over character momentum, super slow, dodgy camera, etc), but yeah, aside from a bit of spectacle from the aerial fights (which is more a distraction than anything else), neither add anything to the game. \:

How about just do what that one little section in DMC1 did where you're underwater and the combat mechanics don't change at all and you murder skulls for freedom.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know anything about Bayonetta, should I start with finding an LP of the first game or am I fine starting off with this LP?
(I know I'm not gonna play either of them anyway, given that they aren't released for PC)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

toddy. posted:

I thought IK was mostly confined to non-static animations (procedurally generated and the like) which is why you don't see it too often used in games. I've seen a few games do it but they're the super high-tech ones like MGS4 and Uncharted 3 (iirc).

Or Windwaker, back on the old Gamecube days. :eng101:

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Alexeythegreat posted:

I don't know anything about Bayonetta, should I start with finding an LP of the first game or am I fine starting off with this LP?

She hid a link to it in the OP but if you want to see Bayonetta 1 she LP'd it already http://lparchive.org/Bayonetta/

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

I wonder, where have I seen this enemy design before? Oh yeah, the Dullahan from DMC3

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

as we're getting further and further in the game, I'm getting more sure that the lorem ipsum was a joke on purpose and a stab on devs that use it for a ton of stuff/just scramble text randomly.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.

yoshesque posted:

Taking the form of a shield, he stands with Valiance at the front lines of Paradiso's wars against Inferno.
Is there going to be a fight with both a Valor and a Valiance later?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 07: Pretty Boys No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Insidious

A hellish ark that, while seemingly leading sinners to the Garden of Eternal Pleasures at the end of the world, was in actuality abducting them to compete in a massive bloodbath.

The souls who boarded Insidious were led nowhere. Surrounded by the stench of death and rotten flesh, they massacred each other, struggling over whatever morsels of food they came across.

With a unique organ in his body that converts death into demonic energy, Insidious always carries a tremendous amount of power. A myriad of hell's creatures live within his gut, making him useful as an assault ship during wars with Paradiso.

If swallowed by Insidious, the only way to escape is to stand atop a tower of corpses and wait for him to open his jaw when he engorges with his next feeding. However, those who take pleasure in killing may find their true Garden of Eternal Pleasure within this demon's bowels.

Hideous

A clan of demons who infest the Malebolge caves of Inferno. They constantly scuttle in groups, searching for unfortunate prey who have lost their way. Hideous often appear in groups in the human world as well, but display no cooperation in movement. For them, there is only scrambling for prey in a mad dash.

Yet, Hideous possess a very strong intelligence, able to forge various weapons and rarely challenging enemies that appear in larger numbers than their own.

If one is sighted by this merciless demon, overpowering it is the only option. Only a few are capable of this--namely, the Lumen Sages who controlled the power of light and the Umbra Witches who controlled the power of darkness.

Hatred

A Hideous that has been forced into starvation and has resorted to devouring its siblings to survive.

Wielding enough power to stand alone in a fight, Hatred's anger and unspeakable rage still claim complete control of the Hideous around him, who tremble in his presence.

Fury

A demonic bird that gathers in Inferno's Johnson Forest. It possesses the wings of a bat, head of a dragon, and tail of a snake. It visits the bedrooms of hysteric humans nightly, caws in their ears until they weaken and die, then devours their flesh.

There are some who have tried to escape from its curse, but its terrifying cyclops gaze ensnares its target as if it were petrified.

The Way to Paradise

The lake surrounding the base of Fimbulventr is said to extend deep underground--so deep that no one has ever seen its bottom.

There are tales that God created a city that sleeps along the lake bed and punishes any who approach it with eternal damnation.

I thought it was probably just some story made up to scare kids, but some of the details were a little too worked out.

They say this city was formed from the memories of God, as he watched over the human world.

It was made as a haven to keep the chosen people, plants, and animals safe when the judgement day would come. Without the city, all life on the human world would simply be washed from existence with the world itself.

It's obviously not the most convenient place to get to, but God was, of course, aware of this. He made sure there was a means of transportation that would carry the chosen ones to his city.

The people referred to it as an "ark". The ark was put together using special earthen elements that allowed it to move through water like a submarine.

If that thing really exists, I wonder if someone like me could make God's "chosen one" list?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Ok, so I completely mangled that explanation about the save system in this game. Maybe this will clear things up.

Let's clarify a few things first:
Checkpoint: Some bit where the game automatically checkpoints you. Example: mid-boss fight checkpoints, just before one of those insta-kill QTEs.
Save file: Don't make me define this, just don't.

Let's talk about Bayonetta 1 first. In Bayonetta 1 the checkpoint was separate from the save file; When you boot up B1 you can elect to either Continue (from a checkpoint) or to Load (from a save file). You could manually save your game, or just rely on the Continue option to play, but if for some reason your Continue file got messed with you would lose all your progress, so save manually and often, dummy.

In the case of Pure Platinum runs, this system become a case of quitting out to the title screen if you get hit and choosing to Continue. Multi-checkpoint bosses like Jeanne 4 or Jubileus are designed around this, so the platinum combo rank is achievable even if you use/abuse checkpoints.

In Bayonetta 2, there are a few fundamental differences:

1. There is no concept of manually saving your file
2. The checkpoint and the save file are now the same thing
3. Due to 1 and 2, the concept of Continue and Load does not exist. Again, they are now the same thing.

So, when you start a game in Bayonetta 2, the first striking difference is that it makes you select a save slot to use. Once you select a slot, that now acts as both your checkpoint and your save file. What this means is that when you quit to the title screen and you want to continue from where you left off, you are forced to select your save file (which, remember, can also be your checkpoint). This works fine if you're using it between chapters. However. if you do this in the middle of a chapter, your save file is going to put you back from last checkpoint the game made.

You can manipulate this system by making copies of checkpoints. So, in the example I gave, when you exit the Muspelheim the game automatically makes a checkpoint. You can then exit out to the title screen, make a copy of your save file which has the checkpoint, then if you get hit during the Masked Lumen fight, you can use the copy of that Muspelheim checkpoint to try the fight from the beginning again. In a multi-checkpointed verse like the Masked Lumen, this is extremely handy and basically feels like cheating (because it kind of is).

Of course, the developers seem to punish the checkpointing PP behaviour by making the platinum combo rank impossible to get *unless* you don't use a checkpoint, but then that just makes them redundant, doesn't it? I'm not necessarily saying this system is bad, but it sure as hell is broken.

I actually was trying to avoid using this system up until this chapter, which is why the first Masked Lumen fight incites particular anger in me.

Kerris posted:

Is there going to be a fight with both a Valor and a Valiance later?

That was the boss fight! Valiance is the body and Valor is the shield. Kinda makes the boss less impressive in terms of Bayo's signature large crazy bosses, if you think about it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some thoughts:

1. That poor Umbran Crow.
2. The ocean of blood came from blowing up the heart of the Insidious, which the plot-child was inside for...some reason.
3. I've taken to thinking of Loki as a male Princess Elise, partially because the games seem to have similar "totally not Venice" settings and similar design problems.
4. In honor of the careful polish that went into this game, I made a couple avatar-ready images, both from about 17:07 in that last cutscene. Somebody forgot to doublecheck their facial rigging values! That, or Loki's had a stroke.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Now that Bayo's edging into DMC territory, there's a few Dante's Inferno references;

The malebolge are from the eighth circle of hell, and the name means something like "ditches/furrows of evil". There are ten of them, each responsible for doling out punishment for the very serious sins.

The Johnson Forest is probably a reference to the Grove of Suicides, where those who commit suicide are transformed into living trees and throny bushes, and set upon by the bird-like Furies.

And while on the subject of demons, Lemegeton's guide book, is a reference to the Lesser Key of Solomon - a grimoire that contains a list of 72 demons, most of which have appeared in various games, movies and tv shows over the years.
---

Regarding the pacing of the game, yeah, can't help but agree that the first game seemed a bit better in that regard. Enough lulls between each major boss battle to feel properly spaced out (the end-game boss rush excepting), where as this game is constantly throwing bosses at you, without giving you time to take in their impact.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.

yoshesque posted:

That was the boss fight! Valiance is the body and Valor is the shield. Kinda makes the boss less impressive in terms of Bayo's signature large crazy bosses, if you think about it
Oh wow, I completely missed the face on the sword. :downs:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've probably missed something, but if the main caveat to the plot is getting to Inferno, shouldn't Rodin seemingly instantaneous ability to transport there be somewhat helpful? Or can he only go to a limited space in Inferno?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Now that Bayo's edging into DMC territory, there's a few Dante's Inferno references;

The malebolge are from the eighth circle of hell, and the name means something like "ditches/furrows of evil". There are ten of them, each responsible for doling out punishment for the very serious sins.

The Johnson Forest is probably a reference to the Grove of Suicides, where those who commit suicide are transformed into living trees and throny bushes, and set upon by the bird-like Furies.

And while on the subject of demons, Lemegeton's guide book, is a reference to the Lesser Key of Solomon - a grimoire that contains a list of 72 demons, most of which have appeared in various games, movies and tv shows over the years.
---

Regarding the pacing of the game, yeah, can't help but agree that the first game seemed a bit better in that regard. Enough lulls between each major boss battle to feel properly spaced out (the end-game boss rush excepting), where as this game is constantly throwing bosses at you, without giving you time to take in their impact.

Pretty certain Johnson Forest also ties in with Gomorrah, which is said to come from there as well, so it's nice that they're fleshing out the world a little bit more. Interesting stuff as usual, although I feel that overall the references in this game weren't as numerous as they were in the first game.

Szurumbur posted:

I've probably missed something, but if the main caveat to the plot is getting to Inferno, shouldn't Rodin seemingly instantaneous ability to transport there be somewhat helpful? Or can he only go to a limited space in Inferno?

:shrug: I suppose Rodin could go and save Jeanne, but what kind of best friend/lover would Bayonetta be if she didn't do the job herself?

Also, a reminder about who the real hottie in this LP is:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I have to say I'm kind of confused by how much trouble you have with the stinger attack, since I find it one of the sage's easier attacks to dodge. Maybe fighting Dante in Devil May Cry 4 (or anyone in God Hand) has given me really good reflexes for when an opponent suddenly shifts stances. :v:
It still weirds me out how we have such entirely inverted opinions on the quality of the two games though, I wonder what;s up with that.
e: I feel you on the QTE though. I got a fantastic combo score on the boss thanks to Kafka, dropped the controller for a second for the cutscene forgetting about it and watched my beautiful platinum trophy go up in smoke.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

yoshesque posted:

Also, a reminder about who the real hottie in this LP is:

Well if I disappear at least we all know I've been kidnapped by youtube commenters. Reason: "Sex Voice(?)"
Send help.

Wait is that the same person that said we were both Morgan Freeman? I recall that being a comment we screamed about but I may have been drugged for the case mentioned previously.

• Locked thread