Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fruitpunch posted:

I'm having a confusing issue in FFX HD for vita, doing the Jecht Shot mini game and the prompts aren't showing up at all for some reason. I know I can go back later and get it but it's basically required to win the blitzball cup thing right?

I've never beaten that stupid first match even with Jecht Shot and knowing about the glitch, I've never gone one up with enough time to use it. I only usually give it two or three goes though since you have to sit through so much poo poo before hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The only thing I dislike about Ultimate is something that happens in a lot of the hard difficulties in rhythm games, and that's when there are notes or hits that don't seem to really be in the song or are stretching the melody out to get more things to score. It doesn't happen often in Theatrhythm but when it does it sucks

The only times I've ever initially thought that was happening in Theatrhythm, it was actually just following a different instrument or section that genuinely had more to do. Like this bit in the middle of Blinded By Light, first time through I was like "where's all this tap tap tap tap coming from" but the second time I was like "oh it's coming from that quiet hi-hat" and it's not a problem any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7b6ZyqL-KY&t=83s

It helps if you change the tap sound to something a bit quieter so you can hear it properly. The default sounds are crazy terrible IMO, they step all over the music.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pesky Splinter posted:

My problem is how oddly out ot place they look, next to all the nicely redrawn backgrounds and monster art, and I think it's the weird flat profile everyone has.

Compare:

Like they just drew one leg and thought "Ah...gently caress it, I don't care"

Drawing an extra leg would mean doing more work altering the FFD characters and SE doesn't use this studio for their quality, they use them because they're cheap as gently caress. It's not like it's impossible to do either, look at DeNA's work on FFRK. I think the only sprite they've done that looks like a hot mess is Kimahari from FFX.

You can't expect too much from the people whose creative talents result in characters like Alba.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Sakurazuka posted:

I've never beaten that stupid first match even with Jecht Shot and knowing about the glitch, I've never gone one up with enough time to use it. I only usually give it two or three goes though since you have to sit through so much poo poo before hand.

Yeah I'm giving it one more go and then giving up because gently caress Wakka and Tidus for basically throwing that game anyway. Also really annoying that I was about to score with Tidus when that second cutscenes started up in my last match.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

fruitpunch posted:

Yeah I'm giving it one more go and then giving up because gently caress Wakka and Tidus for basically throwing that game anyway. Also really annoying that I was about to score with Tidus when that second cutscenes started up in my last match.

Last time I played, I got the goal with Jecht Shot, and then Wakka gets in and the other team grabs the ball and immediately scores a goal without me being able to do anything about it.

Luckily Wakka managed to redeem himself during overtime, but it would've been pathetic enough that even if I lost I would've let it stand, because god drat, Wakka.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Drawing an extra leg would mean doing more work altering the FFD characters and SE doesn't use this studio for their quality, they use them because they're cheap as gently caress. It's not like it's impossible to do either, look at DeNA's work on FFRK. I think the only sprite they've done that looks like a hot mess is Kimahari from FFX.

You can't expect too much from the people whose creative talents result in characters like Alba.

Matrix Software's stuff is pretty much "Has potential, but pretty glaring flaws end up ruining the game," usually story-side with what would be decent gameplay if there weren't a couple annoyances here or there. The After Years, Dimensions, 4 Heroes of Light all underwhelmed me in one way or another, and it doesn't help that they write their characters as though they're afterthoughts for their usually stupid plots. I'm pretty sure Sol's big character trait is "an even bigger idiot than the usual Matrix character." And of course they make the ugliest sprites for some reason.

I'd love to see SE try other mobile companies and give them a chance to do their IPs justice. At least Record Keeper's gotten a positive reception, but if Dimensions and the ports say anything, full-fledged old-school-style FF games could thrive there if they had more competent people doing the behind-the-scenes stuff. Plus, as SE's been experimenting with, it'd be a great way to revive dormant franchises like Seiken Dentsetsu and SaGa. Just keep that poo poo away from the hacks at Matrix, please.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yojimbo definitely is making these dark aeons go smoother. Thanks for pointing out I can just use him instead of doing all that ridiculous grinding the game wanted me to do.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Mega64 posted:

Last time I played, I got the goal with Jecht Shot, and then Wakka gets in and the other team grabs the ball and immediately scores a goal without me being able to do anything about it.

Luckily Wakka managed to redeem himself during overtime, but it would've been pathetic enough that even if I lost I would've let it stand, because god drat, Wakka.

Yeah it's not the best introduction to the mini-game, but in the end I managed to win 3-2, with two goals being scored by the Goers immediately after my first two with almost no resistance. Thankfully the RNG gods smiled upon me and Wakka got a last minute goal.

Just use your two best players, guys, jeez.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Evil Fluffy posted:

The art director for the ports was Kazuko Shibuya. She did art and graphic design for the original releases of FFI, FFIII, FFV, and FFVI. In fact, it was said that she made the original character spritework for the FF1 and Yoshitaka Amano provided artwork based on these sprites. In all honesty, the new character design is quite faithful to the art she did for FFV and FFVI. These original artwork pieces are believed to be a collaborative effort between Tetsuya Nomura and Kazuko Shibuya.

Of course, the original spritework for games was made under the limitations of the technology at the time by a collaborative effort. The new artwork is based off Shibuya's profile body artwork but not holistic with the game's perspective. There are also noticeable seams in the characters and environments in the new ports, especially when characters are placed in vehicles.

There were three other artists working alongside Kazuko Shibuya on the original FFVI, which was developed in one year. There was Tetsuya Takahashi who now heads Monolith Soft under Nintendo. There was Hideo Minaba who left Square-Enix to form Designation, a freelance art company, which works with Square-Enix on occasion. Designation is now CyDesignation under mobile/social publisher Cygames and recently recruited Akihiko Yoshida. Last, there was Tetsuya Nomura who is still at Square-Enix but busy with his projects... or lack there off.

I guess this was the look Shibuya would have gone for if she had the same technology, creative freedom, and money back during the 90s. It wouldn't have been too difficult to create updated spritework in the same style since we've seen some great original spritework for Final Fantasy: All the Bravest. I think one recurring trend we see with many veteran Square-Enix employees is that usually did their best work in small teams, working under technological limitations, and alongside young talent. Nevertheless, the new art direction passed under the eye of one of senior artists on the original development teams for FF5 and FF6.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It makes me curious why the mobile port for FF5 had great-looking redesigned enemy sprites while the FF6 one just ran a filter over the old ones and called it a day. The only thing that actually looks good in FF6 are the battle backgrounds, which is such a small part compared to map tiles and character and enemy sprites.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You're right about Ultimate Songs in Theatrhythm. Basic is super slow and boring, elite is still pretty easy, then ultimate is like a random number generator threw up on your screen.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

Mega64 posted:

It makes me curious why the mobile port for FF5 had great-looking redesigned enemy sprites while the FF6 one just ran a filter over the old ones and called it a day. The only thing that actually looks good in FF6 are the battle backgrounds, which is such a small part compared to map tiles and character and enemy sprites.

I've wondered this too. I know the two were released within like 12 months of one another. Maybe they blew their load on 5 and couldn't get it up again for 6. Spartan development cycles are killer for games. Just look at call of duty and the EA NHL series. Yearly releases make things bad. Multiple yearly releases make things even worse. Especially since almost no work went into FF4 and After Years since they were essentially DS ports and had no redesign required. That allowed them to start fresh with 5. Just toss in on screen controls and release.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ah yeah, now I'm reminded I'm one of the few people who actually liked After Years. I will admit that the plot of the game is stupid, and the fact that so much of it is a retread of FFIV is annoying, but I still really liked seeing Cecil and Yang's kids running around, and Palom and Porom being older and how they turned out, and Golbez now being a good guy. It was fun seeing the characters again after many years, and even Kain getting redemption, even if it was identical to what happened with Cecil. The only thing that really bothered me was Luca, I mean I guess I can understand they likely didn't want a generic dwarf sprite for an important character and party member but changing her that much is just too weird for me.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ah yeah, now I'm reminded I'm one of the few people who actually liked After Years. I will admit that the plot of the game is stupid, and the fact that so much of it is a retread of FFIV is annoying, but I still really liked seeing Cecil and Yang's kids running around, and Palom and Porom being older and how they turned out, and Golbez now being a good guy. It was fun seeing the characters again after many years, and even Kain getting redemption, even if it was identical to what happened with Cecil. The only thing that really bothered me was Luca, I mean I guess I can understand they likely didn't want a generic dwarf sprite for an important character and party member but changing her that much is just too weird for me.

I actually enjoyed it too for what it was: fan service. It was fun playing the characters again and it felt like a giant side quest. I didn't mind it so much,i just don't consider it a whole game. More like an expansion pack.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The change-ups to the battle system were simple, but really nice, too. Kept me engaged.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jesus. Anima is sick. 20k hits against Belgemines aeons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Len posted:

Jesus. Anima is sick. 20k hits against Belgemines aeons.

I love seein' posts like this, it reminds me of the first time my friends and I played FF10 when it first came out. Bahamut, Anima, anything that natively breaks the damage cap just blows your mind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The White Dragon posted:

I love seein' posts like this, it reminds me of the first time my friends and I played FF10 when it first came out. Bahamut, Anima, anything that natively breaks the damage cap just blows your mind.

I was expecting Belgemin to be a bigger pain like all the dark aeons but Anima just murdered everything. She had some issue hitting Yojimbo with her normal attack though

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Belgemin is magnitudes easier than the dark aeons and can be beaten without grinding or any other ridiculousness.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've only played the Advance version of FFV so I gotta say god, the original version of Harvest is just so weird and different sounding.

Question: what does the Boost ability actually do? I know in the description it says it increases the power of summons, but I have never seen any enemy that doesn't immediately get defeated by a summon, even if it's a fresh enemy that just popped out after I killed the current enemy with an ability during the summon sequence. Maybe it just has an effect on Chocobo? I know that summon is fairly weak and doesn't often defeat enemies, but otherwise Boost just seems pointless.

Coughing Hobo posted:

The change-ups to the battle system were simple, but really nice, too. Kept me engaged.

Oh yeah, the combination attacks or whatever were really neat, and the moon phases bit added some strategy which was cool, though also frustrating if you were facing particular enemies or bosses during certain phases.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Yeah, I'd love a FF4 remake that backported those features.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've only played the Advance version of FFV so I gotta say god, the original version of Harvest is just so weird and different sounding.

Question: what does the Boost ability actually do? I know in the description it says it increases the power of summons, but I have never seen any enemy that doesn't immediately get defeated by a summon, even if it's a fresh enemy that just popped out after I killed the current enemy with an ability during the summon sequence. Maybe it just has an effect on Chocobo? I know that summon is fairly weak and doesn't often defeat enemies, but otherwise Boost just seems pointless.

Oh yeah, the combination attacks or whatever were really neat, and the moon phases bit added some strategy which was cool, though also frustrating if you were facing particular enemies or bosses during certain phases.

there are some bosses i can't kill with one summon hit on lvl99 maps

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finished FFX but I have an itch for another in the series I'm torn between 4 and 6 since I've never finished either. If I go with 4 do I dig out the DS lite for advance or just play the DS version?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Len posted:

I finished FFX but I have an itch for another in the series I'm torn between 4 and 6 since I've never finished either. If I go with 4 do I dig out the DS lite for advance or just play the DS version?

Whatever you do, make sure you can finish within ~6 weeks because the Fiesta is fast approaching. :eng101:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

Whatever you do, make sure you can finish within ~6 weeks because the Fiesta is fast approaching. :eng101:

The fiesta?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Len posted:

The fiesta?

The most berserkery time of the year!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

Personally I think six is flat out superior so id start there unless you're planning on the mobile port.

As for 4 I personally prefer gba because it lets you make a final party of whoever you want screw the plot. That said the ds version is also noticeably retuned difficulty wise so that you can't sleepwalk through random battles and there is a new augment mechanic. Do not play after years it is poo poo in any version.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

you might wanna pre-empt this topic getting taken over by fiesta posts like it always does and just make the thread

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Len posted:

The fiesta?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lightning returns final fantasy

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

alcharagia posted:

you might wanna pre-empt this topic getting taken over by fiesta posts like it always does and just make the thread

But then people will be sitting on their thumbs for six weeks. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

But then people will be sitting on their thumbs for six weeks. :(

Aren't there hundred page threads where goons do just that because a trailer for a game launched?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Len posted:

Aren't there hundred page threads where goons do just that because a trailer for a game launched?

the xenoblade x thread is something like two years old and the game just came out in japan last week

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Len posted:

In fairness, there was a lot of "when does this start?" "not for another month, give or take" "wtf, why is there a thread already, then" last year. I was probably going to make the thread around the middle of May like I did last year.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Len posted:

First time through, do the Advance version, it has the most content and while DS has the most story to it, it's also considerably more difficult than the original.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Len posted:

For 4, GBA (or PSP if you can get it since it's an improvement on the GBA version) is better if you want an experience closer to the original but with the extra features like choosing your own party in the end game and the bonus dungeon. DS is good if you want more of a challenge and better graphics, updated music, and mediocre voice acting (except for Kain, god drat). I'd recommend GBA/PSP unless you went far in previous attempts, but plenty of people played the DS version first and still beat it, so it's up to you.

As for 4 and 6, it depends. Both are pretty easy for the most part (besides 4DS), 6 being probably the easiest in the series. Both have pretty static ability development, though in 6 almost everyone can learn all magic in a game where magic is crazy powerful and useful, which hurts the individuality. 4 has a tighter narrative, but 6 has the more interesting one by far and does more with its large cast than 4. 6 has the more memorable villain for sure, though 4's no slouch there.

Most people like 6 better, though 4 is still pretty solid. I'd go 4 first since 6 has a lot of gameplay improvements and it might be difficult to go backwards. But go with whatever appeals to you more.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The true answer, of course, is 5, but he didn't bring it up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gologle posted:

The true answer, of course, is 5, but he didn't bring it up.

It's the only one of the GBA ports I've finished :negative:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if the four job fiesta thing works with X-2 dress spheres

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if the four job fiesta thing works with X-2 dress spheres

Nah, because you don't get them in bunches like in FFV. Plus some have pretty annoying requirements like Mascot, which means if you roll one how you play the game is pretty much dictated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF5 is a weird case because you get all the jobs but one in the first third of the game. Pretty sure only Tactics lets you access all jobs that early on, and that requires a ton of grinding anyway, especially for the later jobs. Plus FF5 gives its jobs in plot-designated batches, with only one job locked behind a side quest (and even then it's a gimmicky one anyway). The closest any other FF game comes to fitting the Fiesta is FF1, and that one's hurt by having only six jobs to choose from and having nothing interesting to learn from. 12 IZJS could work, but that's not nearly as easy for people to access as FF5.

It'd make more sense to try to create new challenges for specific games than to keep trying to adapt FF5's. Of course, the problem is designing a challenge in such a way that people can have such unique experiences, which is the huge appeal of FJF in the first place, while also being accessible enough to not be a pain in the rear end, like some low-level runs.