Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blackray Jack posted:

Would it be possible to expand the RV somehow, like widening or lengthening it so I can put in more cargo spaces?

Also, can the cargo holds actually hold more than their 1K or do I have to keep it at or under 1K?

1K per tile, and yes, you can just weld more frame onto the outside of the vehicle. I would generally advise doing so actually, it helps to cover the tyres with expendable sections of outer wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If your mobiles base doesn't consist of twice as much storage space as actual vehicle clunkily grafted on I don't know how you manage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blackray Jack posted:

Would it be possible to expand the RV somehow, like widening or lengthening it so I can put in more cargo spaces?
Easy. Just get some extra frames and slap them on.

quote:

Also, can the cargo holds actually hold more than their 1K or do I have to keep it at or under 1K?
1000 volume per cargo carrier, but you can have as many cargo carriers as you can fit.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Ok so before actually embarking on being a mobile guy, I found a sports car with an in-shape 14.40 liter V12 engine. I put it on in lieu of my 3.44 V6 but now I am having a regular problem of going deaf as I drive. Is that intentional? I mean I can just slap on noise cancelling headphones before I do anything but still, sort of annoying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Try a muffler? But that is a super-big engine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah seriously, I didn't know they got that big.

Also maybe try mounting the engine/muffler/seat further away? Not sure where the noise originates from but it may help.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There's basically no reason but bragging rights to install the gigantic engines. They mostly just allow you to go far faster than you should ever want to go, unless you really like smashing into minefields and other vehicles.

Also, they consume fuel faster.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Is a bed in the RV worth keeping, or should I take it out since I have a tent and sleeping bag handy?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blackray Jack posted:

Is a bed in the RV worth keeping, or should I take it out since I have a tent and sleeping bag handy?

Definitely keep it if you're intending the vehicle to be your base. If you make sure it is completely enclosed with opaque parts (cannot see outside the vehicle when standing on the bed) then you will be able to sleep just about anywhere without being interrupted. I frequently take a nap in the middle of a city that I'm looting, just make sure nothing sees me get in and I'm pretty much fine.
If you're using it as a roving vehicle and will return-to-base then you can sleep in your seat instead when you have to.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Strudel Man posted:

There's basically no reason but bragging rights to install the gigantic engines. They mostly just allow you to go far faster than you should ever want to go, unless you really like smashing into minefields and other vehicles.

Actually you might want it to drag motherfucking shittons of weight at a decent speed as well... if you're into that sort of thing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

What I really want is the ability to power houses.

By default every house should have wires and those wires should lead to the streets which should eventually lead back to like, power substations.

Naturally the power is down across the board but if you dig up the wires and rerout them you should be able to power houses by using stuff like specially designed cars or generators (vehicle frames with small engines, alternators and internal batteries attached to w/e part lets you plug poo poo in via wire)

This would be fun and good since having an established shelter is cool and all but its like 'well I've got a doomsday car factory, a generator for charging car batteries, why can't I like, wire up some lightbulbs instead of sitting in a corner on a pile of plutonium nightlights in order to craft / read of a night?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
drat how long does Influenza last? Just trying to sleep it off and it just won't go away. Guess I'm gonna have to find some royal jelly or something.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

drat how long does Influenza last? Just trying to sleep it off and it just won't go away. Guess I'm gonna have to find some royal jelly or something.

this is why you should eat every vitamin pill you find all at once.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes it goes away in a few days but I've had times where it lasted half the season. Then afterwards a starving survivor met a zombear. The end! It's part of the reason why if I have a starting character I put on a gas mask or filter mask ASAP because day 1 is not the time to be catching a cold.

As far as interior lighting goes it's kind of a neat idea especially when survivor shelters have lights in them, but outside of those places the only sources of energy are, what, vehicle batteries? If I get really desperate I just find a vehicle with working controls, the addition of the dome light makes even pretty screwed up vehicles temporary nightlights.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

that's exactly what I'm saying is that yes you can generate your own energy so why theoretically wouldn't you like, axe open the fuse box and plug in your generator for lights at night? Its not like zombies went around stripping the copper wires out of every house.

See things seem skewed in favor of mobile bases, there's a billion more options with any vehicle than there is with a set down base and there's not much incentive to set down roots since you can't light anything up without a car around.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I would absolutely love to be able to wire up electrical infrastructure in a base. Think of all the cool poo poo you could do with the Construction and Electronics skills together. Electric fence traps! Solar panels on the roof to sustain your lit-up library and crafting area! Voice-activated sliding metal doors! Automated home-defense turrets with souped-up electric stun guns, newly jailbroken to make them considerably less "less-lethal!" I would absolutely live in a brightly lit technowizard tower defended by goddamn tesla coils, just saying.

e: poo poo, a sufficiently patient and handy builder could set up wind turbines to provide a little energy even when the sun is blotted out. Let me be a green-energy mechadruid already :mad:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 4, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Electrical infrastructure is officialyl a desired feature with fast track merge status is anyone does it, but it's also a hard problem and no one has done it yet.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm all for electrical infrastructure and more interesting base building options but for me those are things I'd never bother with given that I play with static spawns and that any 'base' you set up is pretty much secure by the time you've built your stone stove.

I realize that this is mostly due to me playing static but I feel that dynamic spawns make the game tedious and wandering spawns just seem 'wrong' in the sense that I don't want zombies to just spawn inside my base. Personally I'd like to see something along the lines of actual zombie hordes that wander around the map and test your defenses every once in a while, if they could be attracted to heat, light and cooking smells it would pretty much be ideal.

A system somewhat similar to what Project Zomboid has where eventually the zombies pretty much start hunting you down would probably add a lot of fun and versatility to the game.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I like static in that it keeps the zombies in logical places but yeah once you clear it up it stays clear which is just not how its supposed to be, If I were going to make the system I'd have the 'zombie hordes' arrive at the sides of the 'map' or at least from somewhere where the player isn't and than use their already okay abilities of pathfinding to have them follow a slow moving 'migration' marker, similar to how they follow sounds or scents though lesser priority than both of those... Basically the marker moves around and the zombies follow it for as long as they can / till they get distracted... if it happens to go through where you are you're looking at a zombie horde

The markers could also be drawn to lights, sound ect so eventually large operations draw in tons of zombies...

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 4, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Another option could be for the game to gradually escalate to spawning minor eldritch horrors, then groups of them, then the occasional major otherworldly threat, and so forth. Early game would mostly be clearing zombies and getting set up, but a lategame survivor would have to contend with all kinds of nightmare creatures from beyond the veil of reality, because Armageddon isn't over as long as there are people still scraping by in this hosed up, dying world.

e: you folks weren't kidding about taking vehicles apart, holy crap. My bionic cop just took apart a broken electric bike, stripped a completely destroyed RV down to its axles, and gutted an ambulance and now she's halfway through level 5 of Mechanics. Unfortunately the gigantic mountain of poo poo lying around causes a lot of lag when she goes near her vehicle garage, but hopefully I can fix that by using a lot of those parts up to make useful stuff and then bodging that useful stuff onto a post-apocalyptic police destroyer. Gonna mount emergency lights all over this thing.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 4, 2015

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

If your vehicle goes faster than 100 mph, it's not heavy enough. Slap on more armor and rollers, then you can just ignore minefields and other vehicles, as well as most buildings and smaller patches of forest.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Nyeh I like the idea of having horrors /existing/ but I'm not keen on having them becoming a mainstay constant thing, if the game was tossing mi-go's at you every four seconds it would make them stale pretty quickly. But if maybe once or twice your character was woken up by a little girl's screams coming from your dining room area thanks to a Mi-go breaking in that'd be cool.

Zombies just work as the major enemy because they /are/ played out, it makes it more terrifying when you're forced to adapt to the other more scary stuff while still providing a nice baseline challenge, when you go to a city you know you're gonna have a ton of special zombies and its going to be moderately tough, you know when you walk around on roads there will be regular zombies and they're weak. But once you find something new it should be like, new...

That said nobody said the migrations had to be exclusively zombies... ant nests and beehives and stuff could be interesting as well.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
The entire monster system needs expanding. Static spawn has been a solid stop-gap between dynamic and what comes next so they need to really work towards the 'next' part.

If indeed they ever get around to the next phase, it's supposed to be a complete horde system along with an expanded nether/biome generation and 'titans' or whatever they're going to call them. Obviously the static way of populating the world on generation will remain mostly as is, but all the additional layers on top will hopefully achieve the 'living' world that is missing from Cataclysm. That should tie together what is becoming NPCs and player bases but with all things Cataclysm it's 'some day', maybe, possibly.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In other news my medical mutagen serum binge yielded some nice results making me immune to pretty much every disease, poison or parasite in the book, unfortunately I also got stuck with 'extreme metabolism' which is pretty much the worst thing in the game, looks like I'm gonna play the purifier roulette.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Okay, is there any way to build a campfire? I'm trying some wilderness survival and I've already burnt down my camp 3 times. It's getting rather embarrasing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Capilarean posted:

Okay, is there any way to build a campfire? I'm trying some wilderness survival and I've already burnt down my camp 3 times. It's getting rather embarrasing.

Outdoors camp? As long as you place it one tile away from anything flammable it should be fine, for an indoors setup you really need to build a fireplace (construction 3, 40 stones. Not too difficult if you can find an axe to grind construction with). You could make a brazier which prevents fire from spreading but unfortunately it does nothing about the smoke which makes it a bit annoying.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Flu shots exist in the world, I actually found two so far. You have my sympathies though, my guy has been catching colds too frequently. He used to be the picture of health and never caught any, this map is unusually rainy as well so that may be contributing to it.

Edit: Also, how many blankets and pillows do you put on a bed? I have two down filled pillows and a down filled blanket. Should I be adding more?

Edit edit: Concerning a brazier, if you get lucky and find a filter or gas mask then you have nothing to fear from the smoke.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 4, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You can put the fire in a shallow pit as well.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Outdoors camp? As long as you place it one tile away from anything flammable it should be fine,

During sunny spring days or most summer days, particularly well-fueled campfires may spontaneously turn into a raging cloud approximately 3x3 squares in size, so I would generally try to keep fires at least 2-3 squares away from anything important.

In other news, why the gently caress do swappable storage battery cases require like 60 Mechanics to tinker with?? Yeah sure makes sense, installing a modular battery system into your car is definitely 8 times as complicated as wiring the whole vehicle up to run on a miniaturized nuclear engine. :psyduck:x1000

e: bizarre storage battery woes aside, I've set up my solar-powered justicemobile (complete with double bank of flashing emergency lights) with a ton of storage space, a charger socket, and half a dozen inbuilt batteries on top of the two swappable ones to give it a good capacity for energy. The unintended effect of this is that its energy is permanently between 11% and 13% since it takes eons for it to store up enough energy for the meter to budge. Whoops!!

I really need to find a jack. I tried to turn a shopping cart into a pedal-powered lootmobile with a cargo truck pad on it, but it doesn't move at all on these lovely castor wheels. I need to upgrade my justicemobile to a monster truck some day, too!

Plus I really want to finish disassembling these wrecks in front of my garage:negative:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 4, 2015

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
It seems fungal beds are no longer flammable in the newest builds. Makes for much more annoying destruction of fungal spires (which never burnt down, but it was still satisfying to burn the world around them, then move in and finish up with a mininuke for super-overkill).

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Is the security system worth repairing on the RV or should I just leave it busted?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

A broken security system just means you don't have to hotwire the drat thing. Remove it or ignore it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Angry Diplomat posted:

A broken security system just means you don't have to hotwire the drat thing. Remove it or ignore it.

Suggest to the team that they allow hostile NPCs to steal vehicles.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Capilarean posted:

Surround it with rocks. Last I heard, eight rocks in a circle will keep the fire from spreading.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Strumpie posted:

The entire monster system needs expanding. Static spawn has been a solid stop-gap between dynamic and what comes next so they need to really work towards the 'next' part.

If indeed they ever get around to the next phase, it's supposed to be a complete horde system along with an expanded nether/biome generation and 'titans' or whatever they're going to call them. Obviously the static way of populating the world on generation will remain mostly as is, but all the additional layers on top will hopefully achieve the 'living' world that is missing from Cataclysm. That should tie together what is becoming NPCs and player bases but with all things Cataclysm it's 'some day', maybe, possibly.

Instead of increasingly pointless instadeath zombies and netherworld horrors or whatnot, how about the classic post-apocalypse thing: no matter how hosed up the world gets and regardless of what triggers the extinction of mankind, the interesting action happens when interacting with other people. They are only the second worst enemy after, of course, Frederick Nietzsche the player.

Maybe generate some superficially "human" monsters who approach and pretend to be friendly just so they can steal your stuff and tell you to gently caress off, then shoot a zombie and get mad because you can't hear them or leave quickly (because their gunfire deafened you and drew a mob of zombies) so they turn hostile right before dying to their own stupidity.

We could be on to something...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Suggest to the team that they allow hostile NPCs to steal vehicles.

Good idea, let's make the wandering kleptomaniac psychopaths even more prone to randomly loving the player over without warning. In fact, they should spawn in their own vehicles occasionally, so they can ram through the wall of the shelter you're sleeping in, screaming HEY BUDDY I ABSOLUTELY WANT TO TALK TO YOU and then demanding that you DROP YOUR WEAPON rear end in a top hat while the roof collapses and their truck explodes. DON'T MOVE A MUSCLE SUCKER they howl, while the two of you lie buried in rubble and engulfed in flames. DON'T MOVE A GOD drat MUSCLE.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Good idea, let's make the wandering kleptomaniac psychopaths even more prone to randomly loving the player over without warning. In fact, they should spawn in their own vehicles occasionally, so they can ram through the wall of the shelter you're sleeping in, screaming HEY BUDDY I ABSOLUTELY WANT TO TALK TO YOU and then demanding that you DROP YOUR WEAPON rear end in a top hat while the roof collapses and their truck explodes. DON'T MOVE A MUSCLE SUCKER they howl, while the two of you lie buried in rubble and engulfed in flames. DON'T MOVE A GOD drat MUSCLE.

this sounds like a GREAT idea actually

now I can have the death rally of my dreams

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Angry Diplomat posted:

:agreed:

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Basically just make a loneliness mechanic to force you to interact with the selfish assholes who populate the apocalyptic wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'd be okay with just bandits similar to the Fallout jerks. The easier types could use melee weapons, then they start going with ranged, then they get high-tech guns or bionics. No conversation or complicated NPC behavior, just out to kill you or die trying.

In other news, you can apparently drink liquids right off the ground, even when that's clean water you just boiled while in the rain. I guess now I know that when a zombie breaks a rack full of booze I can at least keep it from going to waste...