Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I actually like the idea that Matt Murdock will lawyer rationalize away all of his wrong-doing.

like that gasoline was improperly stored, the building owner of record is actually the one at fault for Nobu's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PantsBandit posted:

Pictured below: An intimidating figure

Hrmm...I think I just realized why the mask doesn't work. Captain America's mask doesn't cover his nose. This mask does, and it also seems to emphasize the jaw as well so the head seems wider, but also shorter. The eyes seem wayyyy too low but it might just be a visual trick from the nose being there but not completely covered up like Batman's mask. They tried to do a 50/50 split between open Captain America nose and closed off Batman nose and ended up here:

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Hrmm...I think I just realized why the mask doesn't work. Captain America's mask doesn't cover his nose. This mask does, and it also seems to emphasize the jaw as well so the head seems wider, but also shorter. The eyes seem wayyyy too low but it might just be a visual trick from the nose being there but not completely covered up like Batman's mask. They tried to do a 50/50 split between open Captain America nose and closed off Batman nose and ended up here:

I believe that a producer mentioned the original mask didn't cover the nose, but it was too easy to distinguish when it was Matt in the suit and when it was the stunt double, so they changed it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, as realistic as Daredevil is, what with all his wounds persisting and slowing him down and stuff, the next level of realism needs to show these villains suffering from terrible injuries and having to commit more crimes just to be able to pay their hospital bills.

Make the family members of the criminals have to become criminals in order to pay for it, Breaking Bad style. By beating up crime, you're just making more crime!!

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Snak posted:

That's actually what I hate about "super heroes who don't kill" in general: How the gently caress can you beat people senseless, through them off buildings, and then claim you're not a killer. This whole comic-book bullshit rule is based on the idea that it's always possible to stop just short of killing people. The reality is that if you are hitting someone, the might die. If you are hitting them a lot and throwing them off a 5 story building, they might die. The idea that heroes are better than villains because villains choose to kill people and heroes don't is this artificial fictional difference that doesn't make any sense.

Intent is important when the "no-killing" rule is founded in morality. Also, while in real life people can die from one punch, and there's no such thing as "non-lethally" knocking someone out with a concussive blow, this is a comic book universe with stylized violence.

I agree it's pretty awkward, especially since it's not clear whether Daredevil intended to set Nobu on fire or not. When I watched the scene, I read it as Daredevil seeing the gasoline and intentionally deflecting the attack so that he got set on fire - that's kind of a classic "agile, clever hero" thing to do. The idea that it was totally an accident is sort of absurd, given that he literally can dodge bullets in the final episode.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 4, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Periodiko posted:

Intent is important when the "no-killing" rule is founded in morality. Also, while in real life people can die from one punch, and there's no such thing as "non-lethally" knocking someone out with a concussive blow, this is a comic book universe with stylized violence.
When stylized violence becomes as graphic as in this series, it's really jarring. I liked that the guy he threw off the roof ended up in a coma, at least.

quote:

I agree it's pretty awkward, especially since it's not clear whether Daredevil intended to set Nobu on fire or not. When I watched the scene, I read it as Daredevil seeing the gasoline and intentionally deflecting the attack so that he got set on fire - that's kind of a classic "agile, clever hero" thing to do. The idea that it was totally an accident is sort of absurd, given that he literally can dodge bullets in the final episode.
It's actually foreshadowed too. At the beginning of the fight, one of DD's sticks is deflected up into the light.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Re: Nobu. It isn't like Nobu was doused in gas and then Matt lit a match and threw it at him. Nobu only ran against the wall etc because Matt deflected an attack. That's a homicide but not necessarily a criminal homicide.

Since Nobu attacked him, and he defended, manslaughter is probably the charge that would stick, if he couldn't argue self-defense, which he easily could.

If New York was a stand-your-ground state, Nobu could have straight up murdered him and gotten off free.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

dj_clawson posted:

Since Nobu attacked him, and he defended, manslaughter is probably the charge that would stick, if he couldn't argue self-defense, which he easily could.

If New York was a stand-your-ground state, Nobu could have straight up murdered him and gotten off free.

But wasn't Matt breaking and entering? Wasn't Nobu there with the permission of the building's owner? Basically Nobu confronted a masked burglar who was trespassing and got burned to death for his trouble.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snak posted:

But wasn't Matt breaking and entering? Wasn't Nobu there with the permission of the building's owner? Basically Nobu confronted a masked burglar who was trespassing and got burned to death for his trouble.

Are you on the evil ninja's side here or what.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's super Catholic, Jesus trumps your bullshit legal code. "Thou shall not beat a motherfucker into a coma, even if he has it coming" isn't on the list, and Matt is the type of person that actually WOULD want someone to beat him into a coma if he was a total piece of poo poo. So he is doing unto others. And he really, really loves the beating poo poo out of people. There is always love in his heart when he is just slamming someone's face into a wall until they develop permanent brain damage.

e: Really the only thing he stresses is murder. He's fine with most things up to and including unprotected sex with lots of women. So basically he's a perfectly normal Catholic.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 4, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I thought the fight with Nobu clearly shows that it was Nobu's grandstanding that kills him--doing all the scraping the blade on the floor and stylish poo poo, causing sparks that'd set him ablaze.

That part's amazing because even on fire, Nobu goes after Matt. It's a classic ninja move. You can't punch somebody who is on fire!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For real though, Nobu's ninja costume was distractingly terrible. It looked absurdly ridiculous, like a children's halloween costume.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I thought the fight with Nobu clearly shows that it was Nobu's grandstanding that kills him--doing all the scraping the blade on the floor and stylish poo poo, causing sparks that'd set him ablaze.

That part's amazing because even on fire, Nobu goes after Matt. It's a classic ninja move. You can't punch somebody who is on fire!

Nope, DD chucks a piece of wood at the light and sparks cause Nobu's gas soaked clothes to catch fire.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Burning_Monk posted:

Nope, DD chucks a piece of wood at the light and sparks cause Nobu's gas soaked clothes to catch fire.

Oh yeah. Huh. I wonder if Matty could have expected that to happen. Probably, since comic books

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

For real though, Nobu's ninja costume was distractingly terrible. It looked absurdly ridiculous, like a children's halloween costume.

I actually liked it. There's a trend in modern ninja things, like Mortal Kombat and Ninja Gaiden for ninja's outfits to made of a ridiculous number of custom shaped pieces to look cool. Nobu's looked like it was mostly made of cloth and mostly functional.

Burning_Monk posted:

No, the FIRST time something hits that light, it's Matt's stick. The second time, Matt deflects Nobu's chain-blade up into it, causing a shower of sparks. Nobu's lack of control of his own weapon set him on fire.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

Nobu's lack of control of his own weapon set him on fire.

'Lack of control' :rolleyes:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

'Lack of control' :rolleyes:

I don't mean in general. I literally meant that due to the type of weapon he was using, he was unable to control its trajectory immediately after it was deflected by Daredevil. You can't exert control on a chain weapon with a slack chain. He was skilled, there's no doubt, but he was still using a showoff weapon and he paid the price. This is kind of a thing in martial arts movies.

Speaking of weapons, all this talk of DD's costume sucking, but no praise for his sweet new combi-batons? When he locked them together to use as one longer stick and beat on people two handed I thought that was awesome as gently caress.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I don't mean in general. I literally meant that due to the type of weapon he was using, he was unable to control its trajectory immediately after it was deflected by Daredevil. You can't exert control on a chain weapon with a slack chain. He was skilled, there's no doubt, but he was still using a showoff weapon and he paid the price. This is kind of a thing in martial arts movies.

Speaking of weapons, all this talk of DD's costume sucking, but no praise for his sweet new combi-batons? When he locked them together to use as one longer stick and beat on people two handed I thought that was awesome as gently caress.

They looked very slick and, like the costume, his usage of baton-style weapons is nicely telegraphed in multiple episodes prior to their reveal.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Nobu is lit on fire at about 49 minutes in to episode 9. Matt tries to throw the stick, Nobu hits it with a blade (you can hear the *tok* as it gets hit), the deflected stick goes into a light and comes down in sparks.

I mean that's some "Spider-Man jumps out of the way of a glider and Green Goblin is impaled" stuff if you're trying to affix blame.

Anyway it doesn't matter because Murdock's lines of morality are brutally artificial on purpose, I think, sort of like most fascists. His superpowers unburden him from needing to provide proof, but otherwise he's just as terrible as any cop who "knows" someone is a bad seed and lays down a beating just because. Foggy lays this out pretty well in Episode 10.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snak posted:

I actually liked it. There's a trend in modern ninja things, like Mortal Kombat and Ninja Gaiden for ninja's outfits to made of a ridiculous number of custom shaped pieces to look cool. Nobu's looked like it was mostly made of cloth and mostly functional.

GI Joe is one of the few things I can think of off-hand that has done a modern ninja well in my opinion. It's really refreshing to see a modern ninja actually utilizing modern arms, equipment and ideas as well as older stuff.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tsob posted:

GI Joe is one of the few things I can think of off-hand that has done a modern ninja well in my opinion. It's really refreshing to see a modern ninja actually utilizing modern arms, equipment and ideas as well as older stuff.

Honestly, I don't even remember anything else about that terrible movie beyond the ninja lips.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They were pretty silly, but I enjoyed them as mindless action films. I just liked that the two ninjas in them used guns and modern armor frequently, rather than relying solely on swords and ancient Japanese skills. Their big fights mostly came down to those elements, but at least they made good use of other stuff.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

e: Really the only thing he stresses is murder. He's fine with most things up to and including unprotected sex with lots of women. So basically he's a perfectly normal Catholic.

Still I'm pretty sure if this show ever decides to do that infamous AIDS storyline, it'd be jumping so far over the shark the shark would never even see it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

the shark would never even see it.

Neither would Daredevil.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

Still I'm pretty sure if this show ever decides to do that infamous AIDS storyline, it'd be jumping so far over the shark the shark would never even see it.

That's the one where Karen gets AIDS, right?

God I love comic books. Literally every possible storyline has been done, regardless of how stupid it is.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

That's the one where Karen gets AIDS, right?

God I love comic books. Literally every possible storyline has been done, regardless of how stupid it is.

No she didn't, the supervillian went to gently caress up Matt's life by faking her test results, so she would think she had aids, and then he would think he had aids from her, even though years had passed and he had no symptoms. Thanks Kevin Smith!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

dj_clawson posted:

No she didn't, the supervillian went to gently caress up Matt's life by faking her test results, so she would think she had aids, and then he would think he had aids from her, even though years had passed and he had no symptoms. Thanks Kevin Smith!

Smith was better when he wrote Batman.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ms. Marvel possibly has the absolute topper. She got knocked up by her dimension hopping/time-traveling son, gave birth to him and then had this absurdity explained, including that he had messed with her memories and made her pregnant without her consent before she suddenly decides to go with him to his home dimension to get married and live happily ever after. I have no idea how someone plans that out and thinks "yes, this, this is a good idea."

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 5, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tsob posted:

Ms. Marvel possibly has the absolute topper. She got knocked up by her dimension hopping/time-traveling son, gave birth to him and then had this absurdity explained, including that he had messed with her memories and made her pregnant without her consent before she suddenly decides to go with him to his home dimension to get married and live happily ever after. I have no idea how someone plans that out and thinks "yes, this, this is a good idea."

I haven't cared about reading comics since I was like 12, but I do love read summaries of comic.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

I haven't cared about reading comics since I was like 12, but I do love read summaries of comic.

Let me summarize the first ten years of Daredevil for you: It's terrible.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man that story has to be what....30, 40 years old at this point? It's literally indefensible on any conceivable level, and while it's never been explicitly retconned it is heavily ignored for how incredibly lovely it is to all the characters involved. Like it's hard to have any of your heroes be considered good guys when they just let their friend go off to be raped by her time travelling son.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

tsob posted:

Weren't all the Avengers like "Aww that's so sweet" and poo poo too?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hol;y poo poo. Jesus christ. that's icnredibly hosed up.

http://carolastrickland.com/comics/msmarvel/

http://www.geekinsider.com/on-the-rape-of-ms-marvel/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This isn't the comics thread. It's certainly not the 30 year old comics that nobody liked thread either.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Was this the origin of the Comedian rape plotline in Watchmen? Was it satirizing this?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

I was kind of expecting this to be one of those "blown out of proportion" things but, uh...nope. Nope it's just some weird-rear end poo poo, straight up. I can't even parse this logically, so I can only assume that this was a time in the Marvel offices where everybody was high on loving something. Cocaine, maybe. Or printer ink. It's both rapacious, incestuous, and seemingly pointless. Why even? To what end does this serve, to have Ms. Marvel leave the Avengers? Surely she could have just, I dunno, broken a leg or something?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Captain Magic posted:

Nobu is lit on fire at about 49 minutes in to episode 9. Matt tries to throw the stick, Nobu hits it with a blade (you can hear the *tok* as it gets hit), the deflected stick goes into a light and comes down in sparks.
I'm pretty sure Matt deflects the blade into the light. I'll watch it again, but I thought I saw the chain follow it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

I was kind of expecting this to be one of those "blown out of proportion" things but, uh...nope. Nope it's just some weird-rear end poo poo, straight up. I can't even parse this logically, so I can only assume that this was a time in the Marvel offices where everybody was high on loving something. Cocaine, maybe. Or printer ink. It's both rapacious, incestuous, and seemingly pointless. Why even? To what end does this serve, to have Ms. Marvel leave the Avengers? Surely she could have just, I dunno, broken a leg or something?

We could always talk about when the cameleon impersonated Peter Parker and had sex with his roommate, if it was rape or not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

It was the editor in chief at the time who wrote it, who was writing comics since he was 14 years old. This storyline was so bad that a writer created a character named Rogue and during a fight between the two, Carol had everything about her erased. The plot was so bad that the only way to save her was to start her from zero.
The Karen poo poo was just Kevin Smith trying to doing his version of Born Again but making it all edgy. It was a bad storyline and the only reason that its not ignored is due to the fact its Kevin Smith and later writers used some elements and created better stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Magic posted:

I mean that's some "Spider-Man jumps out of the way of a glider and Green Goblin is impaled" stuff if you're trying to affix blame.

Anyway it doesn't matter because Murdock's lines of morality are brutally artificial on purpose, I think, sort of like most fascists. His superpowers unburden him from needing to provide proof, but otherwise he's just as terrible as any cop who "knows" someone is a bad seed and lays down a beating just because. Foggy lays this out pretty well in Episode 10.
Just to be clear, Green Goblin was 100% at fault for the glider impalement, that's just physics? So it's strange to me that you are bringing up that situation in response to me saying that this was Nobu's fault for using a silly hollywood ninja weapon.

odiv posted:

I'm pretty sure Matt deflects the blade into the light. I'll watch it again, but I thought I saw the chain follow it.

Yeah, I would post screenshots, but I can't screenshot netflix on the ps4. If you pause it at the right time you can clearly see Nobu's blade impacting the light. I actually can't see what happens to DD's stick, it may ALSO go into the light, but I certainly can't see it, while I can clearly see Nobu's blade and chain going in.

edit: So given that Luke Cage and Danny Rand are supposed to be buddies, and Luge Cage comes out before Iron Fist, does anyone think that Danny Rand or Iron Fist will actually show up in Luke Cage before the premier of his own show? I'm already super confused how Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's series will be delineated if they are married in this continuity...