Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Ok, this is the random one: What is the width across the widest point of the pan on a TH400 transmission, with/without the vacuum unit attached? And is it "centred" compared to the driveline, or offset to one side?

Whenever anyone in the US mentions California, it always strikes me as some kind of near-parody, Demolition Man anti-utopia. Anything not mandatory is banned. Anything not banned is mandatory. And if the federal government says we're not allowed to impose a regulation that is at odds with federal law, we'll spit out our dummy and find a way to make exactly the same imposition, only in the most awkward and roundabout way possible.

The funny thing is, I don't even doubt that it's that far from the truth.

As a 33 year old that has lived in California (San Diego) for his entire life I can say that it's pretty great here. I never feel oppressed by the man, except for that one time I had to buy new cats for my Jeep. The only thing I want to do but can't is buy fireworks, I have to cross the Nevada border for fireworks.

I am also a bit simple in the head and easy to please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Yes, buying a car there will be easier because then it's the seller's responsibility to get a smog certificate, so you don't have to worry about that.

As a Californian I can tell you that despite the state law that the seller must get a smog before selling, approximately 0% of craigslist cars will have their smog cert when sold. A lot of sellers are going to be surprised if you point out the requirement. Dealers know what's up and do it themselves, of course (and then tack on a charge for it on top of the quoted price, LOL).

Also, for 99% of people, California's restrictions have no particular effect on their ability to buy and drive what they want. You have to replace OEM emissions equipment (such as a catalytic converter) with the exact same one; most people drive normal cars and can do that. If you do an engine swap, you have to keep the OEM emissions equipment with the engine; most people do not swap engines in their cars.

The AI complaints make (a little) sense for automotive enthusiasts who are the type to want to do a catback straight pipe or an engine swap, but that is almost never applicable to people like Gnossiennes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I personally have bought a car I had to smog myself on the condition it was very cheap :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Swapping a cat out for OEM means an extra $500 most of the time in newer cars where the cat is part of a section of exhaust or downpipe.... That's a pretty big deal.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Or $1800 on a 2002 Wrangler :gerty:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
How many miles would you accept on a new car odometer? I'm picking up a new car and it has almost 500km on it...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhere i the range of single or low-double digits. The only new car I've ever bought had a total of eight miles on it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm just getting it licensed right now and noticed the mileage on the paperwork. It was off the lot so those have to be demo miles.

I'm pissed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I bought a new car that had about 200 miles on it once, from being shuttled back and forth between dealerships in two different states.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

TKIY posted:

How many miles would you accept on a new car odometer? I'm picking up a new car and it has almost 500km on it...

:colbert: Doesn't sound new to me.

What's the dealership's explanation? ("Courtesy Partial Break-In: $1000.00") Will they cut the price and/or adjust the warranty for you?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Arriviste posted:

:colbert: Doesn't sound new to me.

What's the dealership's explanation? ("Courtesy Partial Break-In: $1000.00") Will they cut the price and/or adjust the warranty for you?

I'm going to go throw a hissy fit in the showroom and see what happens.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

TKIY posted:

I'm going to go throw a hissy fit in the showroom and see what happens.

:suspense:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

This is not a cheap car either. Genesis AWD, loaded.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Salesman is panicking and asking what I want.

So what should I ask for? Three years of oil changes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TKIY posted:

So what should I ask for?

An actual new car?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

An actual new car?
Yep. You've made your play, push it the full distance.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just sat in the car and checked the odometer. 907km.

Tore a strip off the sales manager, the business manager and the general manager in the show room. Walked out.

Holy gently caress what a downer. I was so stoked for this car :(

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

TKIY posted:

Just sat in the car and checked the odometer. 907km.

Tore a strip off the sales manager, the business manager and the general manager in the show room. Walked out.

Holy gently caress what a downer. I was so stoked for this car :(

Disaster averted, but that is still such a let-down. Good on ya for letting them know what bullshit that was and for walking away.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. Maybe Hyundai isn't ready for the $50k segment just yet.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Good for you for not caving. You'll get what you want eventually.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

As a Californian I can tell you that despite the state law that the seller must get a smog before selling, approximately 0% of craigslist cars will have their smog cert when sold. A lot of sellers are going to be surprised if you point out the requirement. Dealers know what's up and do it themselves, of course (and then tack on a charge for it on top of the quoted price, LOL).

I've literally had a guy flip his poo poo on me when I told him he needed to get its smog cert before selling the car to me. I've also had so many people tell me that their name isn't on the title (I was getting a loan, they only make the check out to the person who has their name on the title. Even if I wasn't getting a loan though, I'm not buying a car that doesn't have the seller's name on the title)

Basically gently caress buying cars in California, at least in the Sacramento area.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Ok, this is the random one: What is the width across the widest point of the pan on a TH400 transmission, with/without the vacuum unit attached? And is it "centred" compared to the driveline, or offset to one side?

Whenever anyone in the US mentions California, it always strikes me as some kind of near-parody, Demolition Man anti-utopia. Anything not mandatory is banned. Anything not banned is mandatory. And if the federal government says we're not allowed to impose a regulation that is at odds with federal law, we'll spit out our dummy and find a way to make exactly the same imposition, only in the most awkward and roundabout way possible.

The funny thing is, I don't even doubt that it's that far from the truth.

poo poo like this is one reason why I don't intend to own anything past the smog cutoff year, '75. At least, not for as long as I live here. Other than that,it really is nice here; I just wish California wasn't so full of Californians. But, glass houses, etc.

Sadly I can't answer your TH400 question, because I am a scrub who has a TH350. I did find this:

But for some reason it doesn't exactly match their measurements for the low profile pan, so I somewhat question the accuracy of those measurements.

As far as centeredness, the best pictures I can find are these:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Sadly I can't answer your TH400 question, because I am a scrub who has a TH350. I did find this:

But for some reason it doesn't exactly match their measurements for the low profile pan, so I somewhat question the accuracy of those measurements.

As far as centeredness, the best pictures I can find are these:

That's more information than I had previously, thanks!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Neptr posted:

Good for you for not caving. You'll get what you want eventually.

Gm called me full of apologies. He'll do whatever it takes, insists it was an oversight not want sort of malice.

Worth giving them another chance and raking them over the coals?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

TKIY posted:

Gm called me full of apologies. He'll do whatever it takes, insists it was an oversight not want sort of malice.

Worth giving them another chance and raking them over the coals?

Tell him you're willing to come back in and let them make good if you get exactly what you want and the drat gift bag. If they throw you the slightest curveball you are an avid Yelper and love leaving scathing reviews :cheers:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Get a bigger discount and a few oil changes, then don't worry about it.

Buying off a lot you get however many miles on are on it at the time. If you want 0 miles, order from the factory and watch it roll off the truck. They always have a few miles on them from the factory, regardless.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, but 40km or so is way more reasonable than 900km. Is the dealer trying to get you to buy the 900km car, or is he offering you a properly new car with all the stuff you want, perhaps shipped in from somewhere?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Get a bigger discount and a few oil changes, then don't worry about it.

Buying off a lot you get however many miles on are on it at the time. If you want 0 miles, order from the factory and watch it roll off the truck. They always have a few miles on them from the factory, regardless.

Yeah, every car is going to have some delivery mileage from QA testing / driving off the end of the line / whatever driving is needed as part of PDI. But there's still a huge difference between "under 10 miles" and "it's on the third tank of gas already" when you're buying an actual new car.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ChewedFood posted:

So I've been working on this Mazda Protege5 that I got off of a guy at work for $400 with a blown head gasket. Figured I could flip it for a profit over the weekend. Oil in the coolant, head warped, valves eroded, all standard stuff. Had the head machined, new valves, seals, gaskets, radiator, timing covers because I broke them, went to start it last night and it won't. I lapped the valves in, good contact with seats in a full unbroken circle. When I put the springs on, I noticed three exhaust valves weren't a perfect fit. I was drinking and it was early morning after twelve hours of work and I made the poor decision to run with those old seats figuring it would still run with two cylinders making low compression. Hindsight is 20/20 right?

Now I'm pretty sure I timed it wrong. Starter fluid in the intake, blew off the intake cover. Timed it for #4 tdc thinking it was #1, I think. It's got fuel and spark. Compression is questionable. I'm correct in thinking that intake valves 90° from opening and exhaust valves 270° from opening is tdc, right? If so, I need to re time it for #1 cylinder which is the starboard most cylinder, right? Haynes is no help in figuring this out. Also Haynes says that you should time it 6 to 18 degrees advanced. There is no distributor, they don't mean mechanically, right?

Before I get hell for being lazy:

I know that I should take the head back off and get new seats to go with the new valves but first I wanna see how it runs with poo poo compression. Besides, it will be a week before another gasket kit gets here.

So the one time I had to set the firing order from scratch I put a wadded up plastic bag in the open spark plug hole for the right cylinder and bumped the starter until it popped out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh drat, that reminds me, I meant to respond to this:

ChewedFood posted:

So I've been working on this Mazda Protege5 that I got off of a guy at work for $400 with a blown head gasket.

The Mazda Protege5 does not have a Haynes or Chiltons. What are you working from? Just a general 323/Protege 1990-2003 manual? It may be wrong in some particulars.

There is a shop manual available in a horrible hybrid HTML/PDF format. PM me for details.
They're listed here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Mazda_Guide/Protege_5

e. Oh yeah one other thing worth mentioning: your Mazda 2.0L FS-DE engine is a non-interference engine. There are sites that state otherwise, but they're wrong.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 5, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, every car is going to have some delivery mileage from QA testing / driving off the end of the line / whatever driving is needed as part of PDI. But there's still a huge difference between "under 10 miles" and "it's on the third tank of gas already" when you're buying an actual new car.

I have a vehicle from this dealership already and it's been a fine experience so far, so I am going to give them a chance I guess. My choice of colour/interior and free oil changes for three years. For both cars :p

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Leperflesh posted:

e. Oh yeah one other thing worth mentioning: your Mazda 2.0L FS-DE engine is a non-interference engine. There are sites that state otherwise, but they're wrong.

Seriously? drat. Every resource I ever saw said otherwise.

Good to know for my car too, i guess. :v:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What is this car? The photo was taken in Japan in 1992.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TKIY posted:

I have a vehicle from this dealership already and it's been a fine experience so far, so I am going to give them a chance I guess. My choice of colour/interior and free oil changes for three years. For both cars :p

Which Hyundai dealer did you go to?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

Which Hyundai dealer did you go to?

You already know, and I am ashamed. I bought my Santa Fe there and have never had a problem :/

TKIY fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 5, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

TKIY posted:

According to Carfax, my car had a bit over 300 miles when it was first titled.

I'm guessing either the dealer let them take it home for a weekend, or it was a demo. Being a car with a manual transmission (and still on the original clutch), I'm hoping for the former. It's up to 113k and the clutch still feels solid (aside from a slight chatter on the first few shifts of the day), so I'm doubting it was a demo.

It's also oddly optioned, oddly enough that I suspect it was a special order. It has everything except side impact air bags, traction control, ABS, automatic, and leather (I think leather was a sedan-only option anyway, or maybe dealer-only). Also lacked the XM receiver, which bummed me out a bit. Has all the wiring there, just no XM receiver or antenna. I would absolutely love to add a head unit with factory XM and replace the factory OnStar antenna with an XM antenna; I've ripped out the factory stereo anyway, so the OnStar stuff is essentially useless at this point.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Swapping a cat out for OEM means an extra $500 most of the time in newer cars where the cat is part of a section of exhaust or downpipe.... That's a pretty big deal.

It hasn't actually needed to be OEM for several years. It does need to be CARB-approved, but if you're driving a relatively popular, relatively "normal" vehicle, all the usual aftermarket suspects have California models for ~$100 over their regular prices.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VideoTapir posted:

What is this car? The photo was taken in Japan in 1992.

It's a Marcos.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

You already know, and I am ashamed. I bought my Santa Fe there and have never had a problem :/

So the dealer got back to me, he'll secure the identical colour combination (coming into port right now) and he's offered to drop $3,600 off. That's pretty drat good.

Oh, and a loaner to use until it arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:golfclap: I'd do that deal.