Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Solvent posted:

If a single company makes a standardized test for an entire nation, that is not able to be discussed, I can see no way that the standard is at all linked to reality.
How could anything from police, to the creators of a test that can make or break the lives of innocent children, exist without proper oversight?

States and school boards choose to adopt the test and could conceivably demand "oversight" in exchange for the contract. Again, I haven't seen the segment so...

quote:

I'm not sure if you've noticed this everywhere, but people have strong feelings about Israel's history of treatment regarding the people who inhabit the lands surrounding their walled nation.
Based on the lack of context I saw, I assumed your "joke" was just you asserting your "lovely, combative, and undeveloped opinion".

Yeah, I couldn't care less about the "plight" of the Palestinians or whoever's bitching about Israel this week. We won the war and gave the land to Israel. Israel expanded its borders by winning subsequent wars. Acquiring land and property through conquest has been a standard practice since forever. That said, Israel should be commended for showing remarkable restraint, because if I were in charge and a group of people were shooting at my citizens or sending suicide bombers to blow up buses and cafe on my land, I would have bombed them into oblivion and drove whoever survived into the loving sea.

In other words, gently caress the Palestinians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I sort of viewed the policy (No Child Left Behind) as just the creation of a new parasitic industry that can attach itself to the education system and suck money from the government to provide an unnecessary service. It's sort of a subtle privatization without turning all public schools into charter, but forcing them to all buy into a system and products developed for profit.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Neeksy posted:

I sort of viewed the policy (No Child Left Behind) as just the creation of a new parasitic industry that can attach itself to the education system and suck money from the government to provide an unnecessary service. It's sort of a subtle privatization without turning all public schools into charter, but forcing them to all buy into a system and products developed for profit.

Well put!

Irish Joe posted:

Didn't watch the testing episode or recognize unsubtle implications of graft in print. Didn't address or retract the segment about civil forfeiture. gently caress the Palestinians.
Thank you for your insightful and funny response.
So full of moral gradient.
Good night.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Neeksy posted:

Everyone wants in on that sweet sweet government contract gravy train.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Afro posted:

Everyone wants in on that sweet sweet government contract gravy train.

Government isn't good for anything except making a profit off of, apparently.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Why are corporations responsible for everything wrong on this show?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Because it's about real life, I think

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
No one commented that Wyatt cenac is still alive??

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Edit: Wrong thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TLG James posted:

Just about to post this.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure that was Russell Simmons.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Since nixon/reagan the raison d'etre of the american government in public spending has been to transfer public wealth/assets/tax money to private companies (who lobby government heavily and finance political campaigns) with as little oversight as possible, this can give a short term boost to GDP/growth/etc but over time it results in public services becoming monopolised (usually in local monopolies but sometime nationwide) and run as cheaply as possible to maximise profit rather than quality of service/results.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's amazing how often John Oliver will dive into issues just to pull out some lovely company profiteering off of suffering and somehow never getting any media attention. I thought the whole standardized testing thing was just institutionally flawed, I didn't know that it was another privatized shithole.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Phoon posted:

Since nixon/reagan the raison d'etre of the american government in public spending has been to transfer public wealth/assets/tax money to private companies (who lobby government heavily and finance political campaigns) with as little oversight as possible, this can give a short term boost to GDP/growth/etc but over time it results in public services becoming monopolised (usually in local monopolies but sometime nationwide) and run as cheaply as possible to maximise profit rather than quality of service/results.

Why do you care if you're not from America?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure that was Russell Simmons.

:golfclap:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm from Canada, so I didn't know much about No Child Left Behind. (I often heard people bitching about it on other forums and a bit here as well), but Holy poo poo. That girl crying was the :smith:est thing. I recall that I had similar tests in school, but they were only in Grade 4, 7, and 10. I don't recall them being asininely difficult, however in Grade 10 our final exams took the place of the standardized test anyway. That pineapple story sounds like they hired a stoned homeless dude to write it.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Why do you care if you're not from America?

Are you saying that US corporations do not affect the rest of the world? Have you heard of globalism?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Irish Joe posted:

I haven't seen the standardized test segment yet, but the very definition of "standardized" implies the existence of a single test/rubric produced by a single company.

Yes, and that "company" should be the government (that is, if you must resort to standardized testing at all, which I am strongly against). Privatized education is dumb as hell for a number of reasons.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

Yes, and that "company" should be the government (that is, if you must resort to standardized testing at all, which I am strongly against). Privatized education is dumb as hell for a number of reasons.

Education isn't privatized, though. States still have the province and the choice to come up with their own curriculum and tests, but, again, that's impractical because then you'd have 50 tests for 50 states and no way to ensure consistency between them. Now, the solution you're proposing--federal control of education--is no solution at all because it will NEVER happen. Period, end of the story. So what are you left with? Well, you're left with the same system that gave us the UCC or the model penal code: groups of dedicated Americans getting together and coming up with a universal resource that it isn't possible for the state or federal governments to come up with on their own. Yeah, the system isn't perfect, but the solution--not buying a defective product--is a whole lot easier, immediate and practical than spending fifty years waiting for the states to ratify a Constitutional amendment ceding education to the federal government.

Phoon posted:

Are you saying that US corporations do not affect the rest of the world? Have you heard of globalism?

Nixon wasn't the president of whatever shithole country you're from.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Irish Joe I'm beginning to think you can't read.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
John Oliver would accomplish more if they inserted a frame that read "EAT THE RICH" in a massive impact font a couple times an episode.

It is nice that he produces easily digestible segments to inform people about important issues but I wouldn't hold my breath about his show ever affecting serious change directly.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It is nice that he produces easily digestible segments to inform people about important issues but I wouldn't hold my breath about his show ever affecting serious change directly.

:agreed:

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Violet_Sky posted:

That pineapple story sounds like they hired a stoned homeless dude to write it.

No, they hire stoned homeless people to grade those tests apparently.

Seriously forgot most of the episode thanks to the "that's not even a good Doors lyric" comment. Way funnier than it should be.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

:agreed:

Any sort of substantive change for the better in America would require both the willingness and the ability to put large corporate interests six feet under. Fixing healthcare would literally destroy the insurance industry, fixing jails would literally destroy the private-prison system, fixing the banks would literally destroy the banking sector, and so on. None of which will ever happen because drat near everyone in politics is reliant on one or more of these industries in order to get reelected.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Pearson are also the evil assclowns that shat up all the L.A. School system Ipads (under some sort of partnership with Apple).

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Irish Joe posted:

Why do I care about what people think of Israel or Palestine, I'm not even from there!

loving troll. Go away.

E: CONGRATULATIONS IRISH JOE! YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON ON SA TO MAKE MY IGNORE LIST!

Solvent fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 5, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Solvent posted:

loving troll. Go away.

Is there a reason you responded twice to the same reply?

Also, for what its worth, the Palestinians could vastly improve their lot in life if they stopped associating with Hamas and other terrorists. I get it, life sucks, but when you poke the beehive, don't come crying to me when you get stung.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Seriously.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Rarity posted:

The "you didn't even notice that's not" running gag is my favourite thing on this show :allears:

Yep. So happy they brought it back. Feels like he really likes doing it too.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

One of the things that wasn't really discussed was the passing scores (passing rates were though). I teach in Texas and we use the STAAR test. For the biology test, students must make a 37% in order to pass. And a bunch of kids still don't.

For instance, last year's biology test had 54 questions. In order to pass, a student would need to answer 20 questions correctly. Statistically, if a student blindly guessed for every answer they should get ~13.5 correct (there are only 4 answer choices), so lets say 13. That means they have to know the answers to 7 questions, or 13% of the content (not even counting making educated guesses). Far, far too many students test below that benchmark anyway. This test clearly isn't a good indicator of student knowledge, but it is a requirement for graduation. Here is a link to the test in question, if you're curious. The test is developed by, you guessed it, Pearson.

Edit: Meh, bad math sorry. Shakugan has it right below.

mastajake fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 5, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I only teach during the summers for a private teaching company. We only work on reading skills, thank God. But a decent chunk of my job is just sitting with parents and letting them unload about how their school district is just utterly loving up their kids.

I teach all over southern california, and its incredibly telling to see which districts prepare their kids and which ones don't have a drat clue how to educate. And oddly enough, it doesn't even have all that much to do with class or economics.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Is Irish joe an idiot or does he know what he's doing I can't tell.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For those interested, I found that question about the talking pineapple online.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...i01VT_blog.html

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

mastajake posted:

For instance, last year's biology test had 54 questions. In order to pass, a student would need to answer 20 questions correctly. Statistically, if a student blindly guessed for every answer they should get ~13.5 correct (there are only 4 answer choices), so lets say 13. That means they have to know the answers to 7 questions, or 13% of the content (not even counting making educated guesses).

Guessing you're not a math teacher.

Standardized testing as implemented in the US (in terms of teaching to the test, funding and jobs dependent on results etc) is a travesty, though some of the points in the segment were dumb. That some model is used with agriculture doesn't inherently make it unsuitable for use with people. It's obviously an unsuitable model because it makes predictions greater than the maximum, and they are taken at face value. Being all "this is used with cows!" and "look at all this incomprehensible math, we can't trust it because it's math!" (that is actually super basic) was a tad anti-intellectual. I get the whole comedy over accuracy thing, but this was a bit on education after all.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Would you mind pointing out the error(s)?

Edit: oh, I didn't account for the reduced number of questions assuming some were answered correctly. Right, thanks.

mastajake fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 5, 2015

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

good episode- having worked as a Pearson scorer myself (TX STAAR test to be exact) it was great to hear all the shittyness of the job and the extent of questionable practices aired on TV. Why he made a point over the fact that they post jobs on craigslist, though, was lost on me - everybody (from mom&pop shops to Google) does that nowadays so it really doesn't make a difference anymore.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

mastajake posted:

Would you mind pointing out the error(s)?

If you know 7 questions, you're only guessing on the 47 remaining questions. So the expected number of questions you'll get right from guessing is 47/4 = 11.75. For an expected score of 18.75. You were adding the known questions plus the number of questions you'd get right by guessing the entire set. You need to know 9 questions and guess the rest to have an expected performance of a passing grade.

Your overall point is definitely true though; standards are very low, and those low standards are too often not met.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

slomomofo posted:

good episode- having worked as a Pearson scorer myself (TX STAAR test to be exact) it was great to hear all the shittyness of the job and the extent of questionable practices aired on TV. Why he made a point over the fact that they post jobs on craigslist, though, was lost on me - everybody (from mom&pop shops to Google) does that nowadays so it really doesn't make a difference anymore.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Find me the craigslist add where GOOGLE THE COMPANY. As in Google itself posts a job opening within their company. Like the Google HR department posted the position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

If you know 7 questions, you're only guessing on the 47 remaining questions. So the expected number of questions you'll get right from guessing is 47/4 = 11.75. For an expected score of 18.75. You were adding the known questions plus the number of questions you'd get right by guessing the entire set. You need to know 9 questions and guess the rest to have an expected performance of a passing grade.

Your overall point is definitely true though; standards are very low, and those low standards are too often not met.

Is the issue really that kids are dumb/poorly taught though? Let's look at at question 1 of the test posted a bit further up:

quote:

DIRECTIONS
Read each question carefully. Determine the best answer to the question from the four answer choices provided. Then fill in the answer on your answer document.

1 The opossum, which is native to North America, and the kangaroo, which is native to Australia, are marsupials.

The fact that both these mammals incubate their immature offspring in a pouch provides evidence that they —

A belong to the same species
B must range great distances to eat
C have very similar skeletal structures
D are descended from a common ancestor

Both A and D sound right to me. D is probably the answer they want but two animals sharing a unique characteristics IS evidence that they share a species in my mind unless I'm missing something obvious.

Let's try another:

quote:

53 The graph below shows the changes in the number of species in an ecosystem.

Which event was most likely the cause of the changes in species diversity in this ecosystem?

A A large volcanic eruption
B A flash flood
C A small tornado
D A migration of locusts

I have no drat clue here. I mean, I accept that I'm not the brightest cookie in the toolbox but technically can't any of the answers be true depending on the specifics of the ecosystem in question? If a flood kills most of the animals in an area save for the few that adapt well to the disaster wouldn't that explain this graph? Same for a volcanic eruption I'd wager.

Looking through this thing I'm thinking I'd probably fail it if I had to take it tomorrow morning. I'm not sure if it's because they're poorly worded and include a lot of unnecessary information (making the test half about reading comprehension) or I'm just old and have forgotten most of this crap because 13 year old readingatwork was right about me ever needing any of this. Either way I'm glad I'm not in public school any more. No wonder kids are throwing up on these things...

• Locked thread