Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrl2bCBzqRc

That video's pretty much all you need to know about Chroma Squad, but here's a little bit more!

Chroma Squad is a tactical RPG/business sim developed by Behold Games, makers of Knights of Pen and Paper. It was released on April 30th on Steam after a successful Kickstarter campaign, a few delays, and a run-in with Saban.

In Chroma Squad, you take control of a team of 5 stuntmen on a popular sentai show who, dissatisfied with their current treatment and how much of a dick their director is, decide to split off and start their own studio to make their own sentai series, with blackjack and hookers. Each mission is structured as the filming of an episode of the television show, and you manage your funds by upgrading your studio, suits, and mech between episodes. As you go through 5 seasons, you come up against your old director who wants to shut you down in a branching storyline with multiple endings and possibilities.

The core gameplay is a turn-based tactical RPG, with gameplay most people compare to X-COM. However, two things make it different.

Generating Audience: Your success in Chroma Squad is less determined by winning the missions and more by how many people you get watching. You start off most missions untransformed, and when you gather a certain amount of audience, you're able to become rangers and use your full abilities. How do you get audience? Basically doing a lot of cool poo poo. Finish off an enemy with a skill? Audience. Use teamwork to go farther? Audience. Finish off the boss with a 5-man finishing move? Lotta audience. Another wrinkle in audience is the Director's challenges, a set of secondary objectives during each phase of the episode that get you more audience. They can range from beating a certain number of enemies, keeping above a certain percentage of health, or finishing off the boss with a finishing move. More audience means more money and more fans, which means your studio can live to shoot another say, so these challenges become pretty vital to continuing the game.

Working Together: Your rangers have the ability to end their turn by going into teamwork mode, which opens up more possibilities. You can use your teamwork to throw an ally farther than their movement range, team up for anything from double attacks to a full-team finisher, even your healer heals everyone around them when going into teamwork. Working together as a team is key to your group's success!

Chroma Squad is currently available on Steam for $15 USD, with planned Xbone, PS4, and iOS/Android tablet releases to come later in the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this game is fun but otoh i dont like how you have to make your squad choices at the start and then can't change them or anything later, so you're basically making your choices sight-unseen on your first playthrough

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
They fixed all the bugs about things not counting in Director's instructions and fixed missing properties in Crafting but they also removed the infinite items bug.

And apparently removed some memes stuff or w/e.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

And apparently removed some memes stuff or w/e.
rip doge jokes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Have they fixed the Robot Parts bug yet?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

They said they did, if that's the one where you get stuck on default parts on reload.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
So one thing to keep in mind if you're still new: Skill Regen is just hideously overpowered and cranking it as high as possible should be your first priority with each new Season. Being able to use not only your equipped weapons but the crazier skills like Lightning Dagger and Squarehouse Kick every turn is pretty great.

Poison Mushroom posted:

They did, thank god. I can go back to my Sixth Ranger save now, even if I'm having way too much fun being the Rider.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Poison Mushroom posted:

Came in here to ask about that; still present yesterday as far as I saw. Dunno what allows some Robot Parts to be equipped or not.

That being said, what IS there is amazing, and I can't wait to get my Hisoutensoku on again :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
game owns, Transitmancer for life

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, the backer DLC finally went through today, so now we can enjoy exclusive episodes no one else will ever get to play (for now).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I feel like if this game could get some more expansions and stuff it would be cool. Like getting a mech for the Sixth Ranger or something like that. A bunch of Sentai stuff that just didn't make the cut I guess for time and budget reasons.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stallion Cabana posted:

I feel like if this game could get some more expansions and stuff it would be cool. Like getting a mech for the Sixth Ranger or something like that. A bunch of Sentai stuff that just didn't make the cut I guess for time and budget reasons.

Hopefully it does well enough that they kickstart a sequel. As much as I enjoy the game even more customization options would be great.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Hopefully it does well enough that they kickstart a sequel. As much as I enjoy the game even more customization options would be great.

I would kill for a FTL style advanced addition. I can just imagine all the cool poo poo you could add to this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hope they can fix the crafting a little. The combination of top-tier Skill Regen gear being buyable in shops and crafting being kinda meh to begin with basically makes it worthless once you start getting any good Skill gear.

I really feel like Skill Regen should be a rarer stat than it is. It's so absurdly powerful but so easy to stack. Considering two characters have "sacrifice a move for great skill regen" skills it feels like it was rarer at one point.

Edit: Mecha Hit Chance also has kind of the same problem. Being able to get more hits in reliable is way way more valuable than a once-every-5-rounds nuke or whatever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 5, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Mecha Hit Chance also has kind of the same problem. Being able to get more hits in reliable is way way more valuable than a once-every-5-rounds nuke or whatever.

But finishing off with the big nuke is cooler, and that's really all that matters.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

ImpAtom posted:

Mecha Hit Chance also suffers from some hosed-up FFT-esque RNG where any number that isn't above 90% feels like it's about half that. I should not be whiffing as much as I do on 85% hit rate.

So this was pretty satisfying.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 5, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I have literally intentionally prolonged mecha fights waiting for my final strike to recharge just so I can finish with it because I understand how Chroma Squad works.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I've never not finished with Chroma Beam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I did too but just because I saved it for the final health bar.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The music in this game has grown on me a great deal. I really dig the "Friends in danger" track from the OST.

Also I really hope that we'll see a sequel/director's cut. There is a lot of potential for having more complex battles involving scenery interactions (Go jump on top of a stack of crates and fight some mooks from it/do some stunt gymnastics on a flagpole for extra fans), audience manipulation (hey, maybe instead of a static bar that's solely there to tell you if you've lost too many fans it could be some kind of gauge representing audience hype that changes based on the exciting things that are happening each turn and have the player use it to pull off powerful moves n' such), and mecha fights (honestly the giant robot battles feel the weakest out of everything in the game; you get to stare at the game's sprites blown up to the point where they look really ugly while you press a few buttons with very little strategy involved). Also, you should totally be able to upgrade villain costumes and loadouts for better drops/fan bonuses.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
I want a Go-Onger/Go-Busters mode where you start with three guys then get the other two later.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 5, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Weird bug; Apparently when you craft a new item it doesn't take your passive skills in account while calculating it's attack so their damage numbers get hosed up. You'll notice it with Techie and Assault the most.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
patch notes here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/251130/announcements/detail/160219302142836940

more importantly, they patched the story

quote:

Story:
- Much Doge, very removed;
- Too much hatin’ for Barrel Man’s rollin’: removed;
- Doubled the amount of random tweets in the game based on real tweets from the game’s launch. Can you spot your positve/negative comments in the game now? :)
- Dialogue adjustments on Transitmancer final encounter;
- We’ve read through The Wulcan Story dialogue again. It’s very nice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
This game seems interesting. I was wondering how does it compare with disgaea?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

They fixed all the bugs about things not counting in Director's instructions and fixed missing properties in Crafting but they also removed the infinite items bug.

It looks like the Director's Instructions in the Kamen Rider route are bugged to poo poo, even after the patch. I've had three missions in a row where the "Defeat a Boss with the Driver Mode buff" wouldn't count and one mission where "Kill the boss with a Driver Mode explosion" didn't count either. I was really looking forward to this route, and it really irritates me that I'm getting completely screwed in audience because of these bugs.

Outside of that Rider mode is ridiculous and owns hardcore.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Beat this game once on the Lawsuit/Tammy path, looking forward to going through and doing Director/Rider next. Really fun. It's a little rough around the edges, and you can tell it needs a sequel to really expand it's ideas with a bigger budget and do what it wants to do, but it's an awesome game already.

Can't wait until a Chroma Squad 2 or whatever they want to call it. Will be really great.

Wishlist for expansions or future sequel stuff:

- 6th member fleshed out more. Needs customizable gear, skills, and their own mech to either add on to yours or be able to swap in for yours (maybe like a special power? 6th member mech comes in for one turn, does 2x damage you deal, heals you, then can't be used for the rest of the fight. something like that)

- More gear. Lots and lots more. The split right now is basically Offensive vs Defensive vs Crafted. There's a few gimmick items like the Throw Gloves or Speed Boots but we need more of those kind of weird options and more variety that isn't just more defense vs more offense. Each class should have some gear made specifically for it as well (beyond just weapons).

- More 'studio sim' elements. Have us manage multiple shows on a single budget. Let us run a Kamen Rider series alongside the Sentai series and maybe have crossovers. Have more dynamic ratings and the ability to do things like recast members or relaunch the series with a new team and gimmick to bolster ratings and toy sales. For that matter- make toy sales matter! New outfits, abilities, mecha, etc should all result in additional revenue when they debut. Maybe gear could have an 'audience appeal' stat to try and balance combat efficiency VS toy sales and fan satisfaction.

- Along those lines, a 'Rider Mode' where you get to play out the episodes from start to finish with just your solo Rider hero would be pretty interesting. Strip out the story stuff and just make it a challenge mode, something optional for people who want it.

- Longer game. It's kind of short. The structure is great right now but we just need more of it.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 5, 2015

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
This game's legit as hell.

The writing is probably its weakest point, which is a shame. With a solid script this game would be an absolute classic. I find it pretty funny that the dialogue is getting patched update-by-update, though.

EDIT: As for Wishlist ideas, I'd love it if beating the game unlocked a Screenwriter Mode which lets you design your own missions. It seems like a logical progression to let the player ultimately "write" the episodes.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Tae posted:

more importantly, they patched the story

Those bastards! How could they remove the memes? I groaned loud enough to be heard in the next county when I saw the hatin' for the rollin'! loving inspired poo poo right there!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

oh my god

rider route spoilers:

you get a salmon-colored sixth ranger and its a cat, this owns

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

EDIT: As for Wishlist ideas, I'd love it if beating the game unlocked a Screenwriter Mode which lets you design your own missions. It seems like a logical progression to let the player ultimately "write" the episodes.

This was one of the stretch goals in the KS that didn't get reached.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rocketlex posted:

This game's legit as hell.

The writing is probably its weakest point, which is a shame. With a solid script this game would be an absolute classic. I find it pretty funny that the dialogue is getting patched update-by-update, though.

They want to make an Episode Editor for the game at some point, and seeing how simple the episode setups seem to be I would not be surprised to see us get it.

I hope it includes being able to make full custom seasons though. That would be a big source of content if it did.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Well I just hardlocked on the second part of the final mission, so they don't quite have all those kinks ironed out.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Kelp Plankton posted:

I hope it includes being able to make full custom seasons though. That would be a big source of content if it did.

Season 6: Boxing Box's Counterattack.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

How do you get the Decked Out achievement? I fully upgraded everything in the Studio all three times and still didn't get it?

EDIT: actually I didn't get the 'upgrade your Studio to Level 3' either. Am I missing a trigger? I have already beaten the game and it didn't show up.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Just beat the Rider route and goddrat is that skillset fun. You become an unstoppable murder tornado, occasionally literally. I'll have to do this again on the higher difficulty level. Driver Mode's damage-taken debuff can be cleansed by Mend Friend, by the way. :getin:

Also I wasn't quite looking for it but I took way too drat long to realize what reference the Rider character's supposed to be.

Stallion Cabana posted:

How do you get the Decked Out achievement? I fully upgraded everything in the Studio all three times and still didn't get it?

You might have to buy and upgrade all the robot parts as well, I dunno.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Kelp Plankton posted:

Wishlist for expansions or future sequel stuff:
- More 'studio sim' elements. Have us manage multiple shows on a single budget. Let us run a Kamen Rider series alongside the Sentai series and maybe have crossovers. Have more dynamic ratings and the ability to do things like recast members or relaunch the series with a new team and gimmick to bolster ratings and toy sales. For that matter- make toy sales matter! New outfits, abilities, mecha, etc should all result in additional revenue when they debut. Maybe gear could have an 'audience appeal' stat to try and balance combat efficiency VS toy sales and fan satisfaction.

- Along those lines, a 'Rider Mode' where you get to play out the episodes from start to finish with just your solo Rider hero would be pretty interesting. Strip out the story stuff and just make it a challenge mode, something optional for people who want it.

You know what'd be great, related to those elements?
  • Small teams requesting you run their show with their own teams.
  • Besides your first team, no fixed team limits, you can hire a single guy to do his own solo show, or make a crazy show with 8 people (good luck).
  • Maybe something for individual fan groups? Like a general fan statistic then the %age of that show's fans who are devoted to certain chars.
  • Sentai team duels - do a crossover episode of two sentai teams, no scripts, final destination

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Loving this game at the moment. So far I've only failed one director instruction due to the barrel man rolling into a corner and refusing to roll out. :(

There doesn't seem to be loads going on with the battle system but so far I find the directors instructions to be a great way to force you to fight a different way. Otherwise I'd just position my high dodge and counter ranger in the center and have the enemies attack. The "get to the target in X turns" Is fun to setup a chain of teamwork trampolines to the target.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is there any special reason to use the kickstarter backer characters or do they just provide more options?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BexGu posted:

Is there any special reason to use the kickstarter backer characters or do they just provide more options?

Just more options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Trollhawke posted:

[*]Sentai team duels - do a crossover episode of two sentai teams, no scripts, final destination

This is apparently the in universe reason for the Multiplayer they might be working on at a later date.

• Locked thread