Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

She came into the store on FCBD and I chatted her up a bit and told her how great her costume looked. I did not explicitly say how good her rear end looked because despite what some may have said here that is just a bit beyond the line of good taste.
but did you get her number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
FedEx store would take my catalytic converter system that I wrapped up really well with plastic wrap and packing tape. They say it needs to be in a box, even though what I did is better than how it came to me: bare metal with covers on the openings.

gently caress youuuuuuuu.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

This pretty much what a lot of them are like. It's hilarious when you consider how many iterations of any given character there are over all the years they've existed and how what's "canon" basically gets thrown in a sack and beaten to a mush against a wall on a regular basis.

Plus the fact comic book movies are NOT made for comic book nerds. Buckley explains it best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqTYg6v_6v4

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cat Terrist posted:

Plus the fact comic book movies are NOT made for comic book nerds. Buckley explains it best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqTYg6v_6v4
If its not done by the original author/artist/team/etc its just well promoted pro-level fanfic.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Anyone have suggestions on cool POI's in the southwestern US? Particularly Nevada, Utah, etc? We're going to be following the old route 66 for a bit, do the extraterrestrial highway, and Zion/Bryce. Points of interest or favorite parks out there would be great to know about.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Das Volk posted:

Anyone have suggestions on cool POI's in the southwestern US? Particularly Nevada, Utah, etc? We're going to be following the old route 66 for a bit, do the extraterrestrial highway, and Zion/Bryce. Points of interest or favorite parks out there would be great to know about.

One of my favorite places in the country. Go into the desert. Death Valley and its monuments are awesome. Also, go to some of the ghost towns. Rhyolite is the most popular (but when I've been there I've only seen a couple other cars in the whole town).

This time of year is not too hot, in a couple months it gets to be wicked hot (120*F+) and you see car companies doing hot weather testing on prototypes (some disguised, some not) all over... in some cases more test cars than regular cars.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Das Volk posted:

He's got the wrong time: Dodge Viper ACR – 7:12.13 and that's the old ACR from 2010 :aaaaa:

Yeah this. Point is, Vipers own. People who poo poo on them are ignant. It's like having an S2000 with fahv hunnert herspuhr.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah this. Point is, Vipers own. People who poo poo on them are ignant. It's like having an S2000 with fahv hunnert herspuhr.

People who poo poo on Vipers do so because there are no nannies to stop you from killing yourself in a spectacular way.

What does AI think about automotive nannies? We already know that answer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
The new viper does though

Das Volk posted:

What time of year?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

nm posted:

^^^^^^
The new viper does though

What time of year?

Next week

Also the traction control is quite permissive.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Das Volk posted:

Next week

Also the traction control is quite permissive.

The part with ac.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

(I'm more surprised that I have a 24 year old modem still kicking around here to actually do a seriousreply)

e: I just realized that the board from this modem is almost as large as the microATX motherboard in my PC.

Wow.

I see chips in there I have't seen in years. Lots of 74LS family TTL, no less than THREE CERDIP EPROMs, Cypress Semiconductors SRAMs, TWO TMS320 DSPs, some mask ROMs, some Signetics chip (probably a dedicated FSK modem of some sort), and what I assume to be an Intel 80C188 at center, silkscreen obscured by camera flash.

Back in the day, you had to actually design a modem, instead of slapping a PCI-express bridge chip and a DSP on a card and then writing some software :corsair:

Fo3 posted:

Life has gone to poo poo since I ran out of snus. Illegal to sell here and almost impossible to import. Been drinking more (back in hospital again because of it), smoking more, staying up later etc etc.
Life was good when I could pop in a snus pouch and relax and watch some automotive poo poo on YT and fall asleep early :(

gently caress all chance of importing it again, even the spare key caps I ordered from overseas were opened by customs.

Speaking of obsolete hardware, you know what Customs doesn't open? Hard drives. 'cause it'd destroy them. ;)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I knew it was under there somewhere.

And, yes...it's there for a reason. When all other things fail I have dial backup at my colos. I should probably test that more thoroughly on a regular basis than calling the number and hearing the modem answer.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Bonanza King silver mine, Calico, Mitchell Caverns, I'd have to ask my parents where else we used to go.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We should start a dial-up BBS or something. Do they still make phone lines that come into your house?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We should start a dial-up BBS or something. Do they still make phone lines that come into your house?

Jonny290 in YOSPOS has been playing around with a BBS on and off, I think he's changing codebases now. It's IP-based, though, not dial-in. Regardless, he hangs out here from time to time, maybe he'll show up. There seems to be a pretty reasonable AI/YOSPOS overlap anyway.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I took my car to a shop tonight to have it aligned post-steering-rack-replacement and the manager offered me a job after inspecting my work. I'm not sure if that's a commentary on the state of their staff or a compliment but it made my night. :3:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Well, this would suck :stare:

Also probably not the best place to attempt a tire change.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

Jonny290 in YOSPOS has been playing around with a BBS on and off, I think he's changing codebases now. It's IP-based, though, not dial-in. Regardless, he hangs out here from time to time, maybe he'll show up. There seems to be a pretty reasonable AI/YOSPOS overlap anyway.

Yeah, I've used it before. It's just not the same without the dial-up and long distance charges.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Not the best morning. I just finished a wonderful 4 day, 1700'ish mile road trip with no real issues except for lots and lots of bugs on the front of the car, and a speeding ticket. Then this morning on the regular commute to work, a semi in the next lane tosses up what appeared to be a large chunk of truck tire - *wham* into the front of my car. Not much I can do, so I continue to work. I expected to find the typical ugly black streak on the hood that will be a pain in the rear end to buff out, but instead here is what I see on the front edge of the hood:

Welp. Went to the body-shop at lunch and the estimate is $604 and a couple days (so rental car). I keep a $500 deductible, so even though it won't raise my rates, it's still a $500 whammy that I could have done just fine without today.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Das Volk posted:

Oh man, I looked up the 'historic' Route 66 and I don't know how far you're willing to drive up into Utah, but Canyonlands national park, particularly Arches national park and Dead Horse Point have both majorly bitching roads to drive. Dead horse point has an awesome paved super twisty road that is fun even at 25 MPH. The site at the end is some thing you have to experience in person to believe. There are a couple of moderate hikes in arches national park that would be easy and nice to get out and stretch your legs. I'm a salt lake native and have spent many Boy Scout camps down in the greater Moab area. It's a ton of fun if you want to see red rock and canyons.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

The Locator posted:

Not the best morning. I just finished a wonderful 4 day, 1700'ish mile road trip with no real issues except for lots and lots of bugs on the front of the car, and a speeding ticket. Then this morning on the regular commute to work, a semi in the next lane tosses up what appeared to be a large chunk of truck tire - *wham* into the front of my car. Not much I can do, so I continue to work. I expected to find the typical ugly black streak on the hood that will be a pain in the rear end to buff out, but instead here is what I see on the front edge of the hood:

Welp. Went to the body-shop at lunch and the estimate is $604 and a couple days (so rental car). I keep a $500 deductible, so even though it won't raise my rates, it's still a $500 whammy that I could have done just fine without today.

I forget what you drive but usually a factory painted hood from the yard is under a hundred and a drat near perfect match. I've only got two original bolt-on painted to match body panels on my car at this point and most people would be hard pressed to say which they are.

Given the choice I will usually wait a few weeks and find something in my color to bolt on for 75 bucks rather than dicking around doing bodywork and painting.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

I forget what you drive but usually a factory painted hood from the yard is under a hundred and a drat near perfect match. I've only got two original bolt-on painted to match body panels on my car at this point and most people would be hard pressed to say which they are.

Given the choice I will usually wait a few weeks and find something in my color to bolt on for 75 bucks rather than dicking around doing bodywork and painting.

2014 Focus ST. It's just over 4 months old. :(

Wasn't a scratch on it (just lots of bugs from the road trip) before this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Arriviste posted:

I've mentioned in other posts how my landlord offered to take a look at my (70K mi.) '95 Nissan p/u lifters sometime after he heard their compelling song. He's hella-busy (anesthesiologist) most of the time, so I'm not sure this will happen. He's extraordinarily capable in everything I've seen him work on: building a kitchen, appliance repair, home wiring, etc. Hell, he has even built a working airplane. Anytime we've worked on home stuff together, he explains everything he's doing and I learn a great deal while poo poo gets fixed/made awesome. Absolutely priceless as a landlord.

e/n: I'm a recovering alcoholic (2.25 years) and he and his wife let me take this apartment (second story unit carved out of a large, old, Federal Style house) three months after I got out of jail on shock probation for DUI 3 where I served four months of a one-year sentence. Basically had to start 90% of my life over. What started out as filling in as a receptionist at the counseling center where I attended outpatient treatment has turned into an paid internship as a substance abuse educator and secretary. I'm on the path to Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) license and am a state-certified DUI Instructor for first-time offenders. Planning to be a DUI Assessor after training in July. All of this done with two years of no drivers license and the past 4+ months on a hardship license that allows me to drive to work. Full privileges will be restored in late January of 2016.

Congratulations on your sobriety! I've been trying to dry out off and on for years now; my longest period of sobriety has been 6 months. Sounds like you have a badass landlord as well.

For what it's worth though, the only adjustment possible on the lifters on the KA24E engine in your truck are done via shims, and it's very, very rare that they ever need adjustment. If it's mostly noisy at startup and quiets down after about 5-10 seconds, I'd be looking more at the timing chain guides; they're plastic, and it's not if, it's when they'll break - when they break, you get a loud rattle at startup that goes away once the tensioner starts to work (it works off of oil pressure). Changing them is a pain more because the oil pump and distributor both have to come out, along with the PCV breather (oil pump is external and bolts near the bottom of the timing cover). The timing cover also uses part of the head gasket to seal, so you have to be EXTREMELY careful both during removal and reinstallation. It's a pain in the rear end even with the engine out of the truck, moreso because the distributor is driven by a worm gear that you have to get lined up just right when reinstalling the timing cover (the only way to realign it once the timing cover is on is to remove the oil pump).

IIRC there's only 1 guide on the SOHC engine in your truck (assuming it's the 4 cylinder anyway, I forget if you mentioned which engine it had), and once you have the timing cover off, it's about 2 minutes to replace. It's just getting all the other poo poo out of the way to get to it..

As for thank yous - he works in a hospital(s), right? Most hospitals have many volunteers (generally to help people find whatever part of the hospital they're looking for), maybe put in some hours at one that he works at? The other suggestions are also great as well.

Phone posted:

My credit union only offers 0.1% on their savings account, but 2.01% on their checking.

I get 0.05% from my CU - on both checking and savings. :sigh: Even USAA only gives 0.05% on savings with lower balances. I do have a CD with them, but it's used to secure a secured credit card.

SAC, NASA Online Federal Credit Union is supposed to be pretty good, and they're easy to join (there's a free association of some sort you can join to qualify to join). I've been planning to join just to see what they're like, I've been kind of unhappy with USAA as of late. I only have the local CU account because I deal with a lot of cash, and my employer doesn't offer direct deposit (USAA refuses to let me use mobile deposit).

Slow is Fast posted:

She has comprehensive and it's getting towed to a good shop, just is very lovely.

edit: AAA just picked it up. front toe is bad, gonna need a control arm or tie rods + alignment, 300+ dollars just got stacked on.

Crap. Tell me she had uninsured/underinsured. That's exactly when this comes in handy; comp isn't going to do poo poo in this case (in most states). :smith:

BraveUlysses posted:

Airborne doesn't work but those symptoms don't sound like allergies. your mucus should be thin and watery and not thick enough to require mucinex (ps dont use that stuff for extended periods)

Airborne is just mega doses of vitamin C. You're better off just drinking orange juice, IMO (tastes better and quenches your thirst too!)

Sigma X posted:

Cisco announced a new CEO this morning. In honor, Cisco's campus cafeterias are serving all their normal food, free. As much as you'd like. It's like a pack of sharks in there. One dude walked out with three large plastic take-out containers of salad, several slices of pizza, two orders of fries, a burger, and about 6 soft drinks.

I have a regular customer (DAILY) who always orders three 2 liters of Diet Pepsi, and either a shitload of wings or a pizza full of meat.

It's also rather obvious his diabetes is a bit out of control, just looking at his legs and feet. :barf: I feel bad for the guy (even though he's a bit of a jerk, always has something negative to say), particularly being diabetic myself, but he's obviously not willing to make the dietary changes he needs to get it under control.

Darchangel posted:

Something out at the Texas Motor Speedway set of my allergies pretty good. I don't usually have too much trouble, but I was sniffling all weekend.

It's not just the TMS area. The entire house is sniffing, everyone at work is sniffing, everyone has dry eyes, etc. I've been miserable for a couple of weeks.

Das Volk posted:

If you wind up in New Mexico, Sante Fe is always neat. Carlsbad Caverns is a bit of a detour and puts you a lot further south, but well worth the trip.

I plan to do the same trip in about a year, except including Carlsbad Caverns (haven't been since I was a kid).

kastein posted:

Wow.

I see chips in there I have't seen in years. Lots of 74LS family TTL, no less than THREE CERDIP EPROMs, Cypress Semiconductors SRAMs, TWO TMS320 DSPs, some mask ROMs, some Signetics chip (probably a dedicated FSK modem of some sort), and what I assume to be an Intel 80C188 at center, silkscreen obscured by camera flash.

Back in the day, you had to actually design a modem, instead of slapping a PCI-express bridge chip and a DSP on a card and then writing some software :corsair:

Easy Ken, relax. You're about to jizz in yo.. oh too late.

And I bet if I could find a power supply for it (it's an old 5 pin DIN instead of a newer style one), it would power up and work like it was brand loving new. Even the caps in it look brand new. Keep in mind this was literally the best of the best of the modems you could buy back then; retail was well north of $1000.

This one has a copyright date of 1991 on the board. I forget how I came about this one, but I know before I lost the PSU, it worked fine. It's the old Courier Dual Standard (both HST and v.32bis). I don't think I ever used this one on my BBS; the Courier I used for that was a 56k dual standard (originally 28.8k, flash upgradable), but the magic smoke escaped that one about 15 years ago. THAT one I got for $250 (BBS Sysop discount), but retail was well north of $800 for that one.

If I could actually find a power supply for it, I'd rip out the piece of poo poo PCI softmodem I have right now. I actually dial up the occasional random BBS for shits and giggles (there's ~20 left in the US), and it does support faxing. The PITA will be finding a DB25 to DB9 cable, I'd probably get a "the car audio section is that way" if I asked that in a modern store today.

Best part? It has a "MADE IN USA" sticker on it. You never see that on anything today.

And yeah, you nailed the Intel chip - just put it under a bright light, it's a N80C188-16. Those 3 EEPROMs are original to the modem (going by the date codes), though it was field upgradable. The Signetics chip shows KLE81419135KC, if that helps.

I'm half tempted to either track down a power supply, or figure out what the pinout is for the DIN connector. I'm guessing it's a mix of 3.3 and 5V. I may still have it buried in a closet somewhere.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I still have a landline, believe it or not. It's sort of VoIP in that it comes in over fiber, but it's still via Verizon (they abandoned the copper in my area). It's honestly only here because I get a discount on my cable bill. I don't actually answer it, but there's a phone on it for emergencies (ringer off, since it rings nonstop with telemarketers). I have unlimited calling within the US on that line.

I'd have to track down a PC new enough for Win2k, but old enough to handle actual serial ports and 16 bit software - at least that way I could still handle both telnet and dialup. I could probably toss together an old Celeron or Pentium for like $50. I know my software of choice (Telegard) won't run under XP without a huge fight. I know Synchronet is still an on again/off again development, but I always preferred WWIV-based software (TG, Renegade, etc).

I just wish I still had my last tape backup of my last BBS, though I'm sure that tape would be garbage by now (it was archived in 1997, and I don't have much hope of finding a tape drive that could actually read it).

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I've been following some threads in AI awhile, STR, and have been pulling for you about sobriety and recovery. It would be a shame to lose you or lose your mind.

Thanks for the advice about the lifters; however, I've got the VG30E instead of the KA24E. I'm still not clear on all the differences between them. But when you say anything about the timing belt a little poop comes out because interference engine. I'm saving to get the timing belt and all wear items that have to be moved anyway replaced at one time.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Beginning to have serious doubts the company I work for is going to survive the summer.

I want to get lovely drunk because I've worked here for 13 years and all I've done is get a niche skill set honed.

I feel the same way having worked for a newspaper for the past 4 years. I am very, very good at what I do, but I just cannot see how it transfers to any other industry, and newspapers ain't doin' so hot when you look at the long-term game.

On the flip side, the Director has been out on sick leave for the past two months, and a local promotion would be hella awesome, since the other district managers lack either the talent or the desire to compete with me for what would be the open Distribution Manager position (the dept. mgr., my current boss and best buddy, would likely get the directorship, and write a red-hot recommendation for me). If I got the job I would likely stop farting around about buying a house and just settle down here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Arriviste posted:

I've been following some threads in AI awhile, STR, and have been pulling for you about sobriety and recovery. It would be a shame to lose you or lose your mind.

Thanks for the advice about the lifters; however, I've got the VG30E instead of the KA24E. I'm still not clear on all the differences between them. But when you say anything about the timing belt a little poop comes out because interference engine. I'm saving to get the timing belt and all wear items that have to be moved anyway replaced at one time.

I know absolutely nothing about any Nissan beyond the KA series, unfortunately. :smith:

I've been smart enough to seek out a hospital whenever poo poo gets really bad in terms of withdrawal, but that gets expensive. Actually, just mailed off tax records for last year to see if I qualify for charity care for my last visit (getting that visit sorted out via insurance took over 6 months and a complaint to the state, the state eventually fined my insurance company nearly $10k for refusing to pay the claim).

Once I get some money saved up, I plan to do a 30-45 day program (insurance will pay for it if my doctor recommends it, since I'm on an HMO, but I need money to pay bills while I'm not working). It helped me out a lot the first time, I just wasn't ready to stay sober.

And thanks. :glomp:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

kastein posted:

I was gonna suggest this too, but that car is new enough that the earliest that fits apparently is 2012. And of course yards know this, and know that new cars are more scarce, so they charge $500-$600 for them. I just did a search on car-part.com. And unfortunately you won't find a 2012-2014 in a pick and pull.

Still, he could have a new hood for the time it takes to put 4 bolts in vs a week at a body shop, plus fighting with them over their poo poo quality, and whether or not a scuff and spray includes filling rock chips. Seriously, I went to pick up a $20,000 car from a repaint once and they forgot to fill the rock chips in the hood, and tried to tell me it wasn't quoted. I just asked the manager if it was his car would he be satisfied with it? He saw it from my side and only charged me the labor for the single hour of sanding them out and reshot the hood. Still took an extra week. gently caress body shops.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cat Terrist posted:

Watching drift NEEEERDS and "JDM Enthusists" argue over how some car looks in a racing movie is so, so, so utterly hilarious. IMPOTENT RAAAAAAAAGE!!!!

Edited a bit, make sense to you now? People get butthurt over stuff relating to their hobbies, film at 11.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 5, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Well, this would suck :stare:

Also probably not the best place to attempt a tire change.

I got a flat tire on the very top of that bridge in the middle of the night and it was not fun, especially for my wife. Luckily it was right near one of the emergency phones, then a state trooper was there pretty quick with a nice aluminum floor jack and lug wrench and I was outta there pretty quick. The wall was about waist high and I peered over it a few times.....Spooky loving poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty sure if you called a trooper for something like that here, they'd shove you off the bridge and laugh. The only time a state trooper has ever been of any help to me was when I broke down in the middle of nowhere (200+ miles from the next town) and they let me call a family member to let them know I'd be "at least a day late", then drove off.

300 miles from the nearest city. Thank gently caress I was able to figure out what was keeping it from starting (sort of, I just started unplugging poo poo until it would start), and thank gently caress the car could run with a few things unplugged (early Honda MPFI, all it NEEDED was the MAP and CPS).

I can't say I've seen an emergency phone on a highway in over 15 years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

I got a flat tire on the very top of that bridge in the middle of the night and it was not fun, especially for my wife. Luckily it was right near one of the emergency phones, then a state trooper was there pretty quick with a nice aluminum floor jack and lug wrench and I was outta there pretty quick. The wall was about waist high and I peered over it a few times.....Spooky loving poo poo.

The guy was lucky though...could easily have been fatal.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

I was gonna suggest this too, but that car is new enough that the earliest that fits apparently is 2012. And of course yards know this, and know that new cars are more scarce, so they charge $500-$600 for them. I just did a search on car-part.com. And unfortunately you won't find a 2012-2014 in a pick and pull.

Still, he could have a new hood for the time it takes to put 4 bolts in vs a week at a body shop, plus fighting with them over their poo poo quality, and whether or not a scuff and spray includes filling rock chips. Seriously, I went to pick up a $20,000 car from a repaint once and they forgot to fill the rock chips in the hood, and tried to tell me it wasn't quoted. I just asked the manager if it was his car would he be satisfied with it? He saw it from my side and only charged me the labor for the single hour of sanding them out and reshot the hood. Still took an extra week. gently caress body shops.

I'm not 100% certain that the ST hood is the same as the non ST either, and the ST only came out in '13.

I do appreciate the suggestion though, if it was actually something I could save significant money on, I would seriously consider it, but at least with my internet search skills the closest hoods I could find were in TX or CA with prices like $400 - hail damage, 2 moderate dents, and some scratches. Umm.. nope. Nothing comes up at all in AZ.

I've actually had work done on other cars at the body shop I got the quote from, and they have done excellent work. They say they can finish it in 2 days (they remove the hood, fix the dents, prep and re-spray with it off the car), not a week, and since they are part of State Farm's preferred service network thing (forget what they call it) they give a lifetime warranty on the work, and that includes color matching with age. Given how much a yard hood would cost, I don't think it would be worth the hassle of finding one in pristine condition, and I'll have a rental car that will be at the shop which is right around the corner from my office, so the 'hassle' factor is actually pretty low compared to getting one from a yard. I'd also need to find a way to deal with a hood from a yard, since I don't own a truck, I'd have to bolt on the new one right there, meaning I'd need someone to go help me with it I imagine, as it certainly wouldn't fit inside the Focus.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have 2 shows planned in 2 months.

One is a fairly small bar show, but with friends that belong to 2 different bands providing opening acts (Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! is the headliner - seen them before, really dig them).

The other is, of course, Warped Tour.

Mom has gone :tinfoil: saying I'm going to die in an ISIS suicide bomb blast if I go to either. If I do die in a bomb blast, at least I'll be dying doing what I love - losing my hearing while running around a mosh pit.

(shut up yes I do like pop punk, I don't judge your music okay)

e: one smoke alarm was chirping, so I swapped batteries in all of them. Now 3 are chirping, despite reinstalling the batteries several times. :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 5, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I won't judge your pop punk if you don't judge my house & trap.

Bought two tickets to EDC because the girlfriend wanted to go. Now I'm going with my roommate.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pop punk, trap, and house? Sign me up.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Some of my favorite albums over the last few years were pop punk.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Pop punk owns. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! is amazing, jealous as hell you get to see them live STR. I went to Warped 2010 in St. Louis and don't regret it one bit. Got to see Four Year Strong, Sum 41, The Casualties, Whitechapel, and a few other really good bands :getin:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ugh. Humidity, my arch nemisis. Currently standing at work doing notging and sweating bullets. Hurry up and rain already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I haven't checked out any new pop punk bands in a while, but I used to love that kinda music. I have several Fat Wreck Chords compilation albums that I bought 10-15 years ago that I still enjoy.

• Locked thread