Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Fangs404 posted:

Or you have a malfunctioning extension. Or your profile is messed up. Follow the troubleshooting instructions in the OP.

New profile with SALR and uBlock running, only two extensions I used in Firefox. It still happens. I'm not too worried about it since it happens infrequently, I just close Firefox and restart it and it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's related, but I have a similar, very minor issue when I bring my computer back up from hibernation. The Firefox viewing pane will be blank, but if I mouse over where images should be they'll appear and persist. Typically I have to leave the mouse cursor over the tabs or top bar for five or ten seconds before it seems to realize it needs to refresh.

Not a serious bug, but I thought I'd mention it if it might help shed light on this other one.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Firefox is clearly the best browser on the desktop for my uses, but on windows at least it does suffer much more than the alternatives from things like GPU driver brokenness, plugin problems (flash) & extension breakage with every update.

I do suffer more than most as the only windows machine I use is my work desktop, which for some reason our IT goes won't upgrade the Intel GPU drivers.

But still. I can't currently play any YouTube videos in FF at work without resorting to an extension to force it to serve me flash videos. Chrome just works with html5.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

I don't know if it's related, but I have a similar, very minor issue when I bring my computer back up from hibernation. The Firefox viewing pane will be blank, but if I mouse over where images should be they'll appear and persist. Typically I have to leave the mouse cursor over the tabs or top bar for five or ten seconds before it seems to realize it needs to refresh.

Not a serious bug, but I thought I'd mention it if it might help shed light on this other one.

I've got that too, but instead of after hibernation (I hardly put my computer in hibernation) I get it sometimes intermittently when switching tabs, especially if it's a lot of tabs of images.
Updating graphics drivers to the latest beta version made it a lot less frequent. But it still rears it intermittently rendering head from time to time after the browser's been open for a few hours and has been to websites that have some leaky javascript; which will somehow still befuddle Firefox' terrible memory management.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Sometime when I try to restart Firefox I get a message about how "my profile is corrupted" yet if I open Firefox again it loads fine. :confused: Could this be related to my youtube problem?

How do I delete my profile? Will I lose all my saved passwords and such?

EDIT: I refreshed Firefox and now youtube works so I guess I'll never know why it wasn't working.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 4, 2015

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Bet you 100 bucks you can't get all the gifs to load on this page.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9bHBj

Followed OP, 2 out of 10 load maybe. Firefox sucks at gifs I guess.

Also, youtube is defaulted to HTML5 now I thought, since flash is terrible?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SpeedGem posted:

Works for me:

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Nintendo Kid posted:

Works for me:
snip long image

That's weird, cause only the 1st, 3rd, and last one load all the way, I have to refresh like 10 times for them to all work.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah I loaded that page just fine when it was linked in the schadenfreude thread.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
I figured it out, VLC plugin was causing trouble, now all gifs load. You were right, a bad plugin ruins the batch.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Those gifs load just fine for me.

SpeedGem posted:

I figured it out, VLC plugin was causing trouble, now all gifs load. You were right, a bad plugin ruins the batch.

This could definitely be it. I use VLC, but I don't use their plugin. If some other people confirm this, I'll add it to the OP.

[edit]
I just went ahead and added a new item to the troubleshooting checklist to check for plugins.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 5, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SpeedGem posted:

I'm pretty sure the lightning round for your browser's gif engine is rekall.tumblr.com.

Also I had this problem before the VLC plugin.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SpeedGem posted:

I don't even use VLC but still had this installed and activated for some reason.

What's worse is that I made a bunch of new profiles trying to find the problem and the VLC plugin was still installed and activated even in the totally fresh profile. Which might be why I kept having the problem resurface :doh:

Well, let's see how we go.

EDIT: Nope, VLC wasn't it.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 5, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I don't even have VLC and keep plugins that have recently changed to be terrible or are terrible in general disabled until I actually need them.

The issue doesn't rear its head until I've been using the same browser session for a few hours, though. So maybe consider that in your testing as well.

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012
Since I've switched from Flash to HTML5 for YouTube (Which is so much better, I must confess), I'm now wondering what other video sites use HTML5 video and if it's possible to run flash games and animations (AKA Homestar Runner) on HTML5 instead of Flash?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

wooger posted:

But still. I can't currently play any YouTube videos in FF at work without resorting to an extension to force it to serve me flash videos. Chrome just works with html5.

https://www.youtube.com/html5

Enjoy.

Superb Owls posted:

I'm now wondering what other video sites use HTML5 video and if it's possible to run flash games and animations (AKA Homestar Runner) on HTML5 instead of Flash?

You can't simply switch from flash to html5, since flash is a completely different thing. Only if the site supports it (like youtube), it will work.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Truga posted:

You can't simply switch from flash to html5, since flash is a completely different thing. Only if the site supports it (like youtube), it will work.

https://github.com/mozilla/shumway

I've got no idea if it's already any good or when it'll be any good, but Mozilla is working hard to kick Flash off of the internet.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Geemer posted:

kick Flash off of the internet.

I support and endorse this idea. gently caress Flash forever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Geemer posted:

I've got no idea if it's already any good or when it'll be any good, but Mozilla is working hard to kick Flash off of the internet.

I tried it, their sample swf works already (though a bit slow), but robot unicorn attack doesn't (yet?).

The fact that someone's working on this is great, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How the bloody hell do I set up a tab sync, (as in reload the tabs I have on the synced device)? I've set up a sync, all my passwords and favorites transferred over, I made sure I included "tabs" in the sync... yet I have no idea how to (see above as I start to repeat myself). Same deal with chrome, come to think of it.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Xander77 posted:

How the bloody hell do I set up a tab sync, (as in reload the tabs I have on the synced device)? I've set up a sync, all my passwords and favorites transferred over, I made sure I included "tabs" in the sync... yet I have no idea how to (see above as I start to repeat myself). Same deal with chrome, come to think of it.

The tab sync is simply tracking tabs from other computers in the History -> Tabs from Other Computers menu. It doesn't restore tabs, just keeps track of them and adds them to the awesomebar history in other synced instances.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh, apparently some Avast! users are out to get Ublock Origin - got an Avast! message saying some users had reported it as a bad extension or something. Don't people have anything better to do with their time?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Geemer posted:

I can't wait for this to be ready for general web usage. Flash or trying to avoid Flash comprises about 80% of the problems I've ever had with firefox.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hooah posted:

Huh, apparently some Avast! users are out to get Ublock Origin - got an Avast! message saying some users had reported it as a bad extension or something. Don't people have anything better to do with their time?
I'm seeing news that Avast had a bug around the 7th of May, marking browsers, hardware drivers and Microsoft Office as malware, so maybe it's just that.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

hooah posted:

This is a recurring problem with Avast! and you should stop using it. These days there's wide agreement among security professionals that third-party AV software is worse than useless versus the Microsoft-provided solution (Security Essentials on Windows <8, Defender on 8+). The additional detection rate that shows up in benchmarks represents more false positives and issues in normal usage, not improved safety.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Truga posted:

I tried it, their sample swf works already (though a bit slow), but robot unicorn attack doesn't (yet?).

The fact that someone's working on this is great, though.

Adobe themselves are working on it to an extent. They're gearing up for making the flash dev tools compile to html5 instead of having to maintain their own vm.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dis astranagant posted:

Adobe themselves are working on it to an extent. They're gearing up for making the flash dev tools compile to html5 instead of having to maintain their own vm.

Yup.

Adobe ActionScript to HTML5, Unity3D to HTML5, gently caress a Java, gently caress a Silverlight, and that's pretty much all the valid reasons to have plugins gone.

Ookla's going to have to work on their network metrics stuff if they want a seat at the table in the future.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a working add-on for "youtube links automatically display the video name instead of the url"? Googling leads me to the same defunct userscripts page, which doesn't actually work anymore.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
YouTube Link Title? https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/413-youtube-link-title

This is what I get when mousing over it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Xander77 posted:

Is there a working add-on for "youtube links automatically display the video name instead of the url"? Googling leads me to the same defunct userscripts page, which doesn't actually work anymore.
Was actually very recently added to SALR for Firefox as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is Firefox 38 going to have the official 64 bit release builds or is that only for the beta/"developer" preview again?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh hey, that works. The chrome version doesn't require you to mouse over the title, but that's not a huge problem. Thanks.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Was actually very recently added to SALR for Firefox as well.
What's... oh, and SA only firefox add-on. Huh.

Is it worth using?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Firefox's new hardware acceleration is hard on my GPU for some reason, and has made it slow as poo poo for over a month. After trying so many fixes on my PC and updating drivers and BIOS I finally figured out it was the hardware acceleration. I didn't know I needed a killer rig to browse the internet. v:geno:v

EDIT:
Nope! The weird black screens with images on them are back, just as I posted that. :smith: My GPU constantly staying at 53 C probably isn't good.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 11, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Youtube pauses playback when I switch to another tab. How do I get the old behaviour back where it keeps playing in the background?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Riso posted:

Youtube pauses playback when I switch to another tab. How do I get the old behaviour back where it keeps playing in the background?

Are you sure you don't have a Youtube add-on installed? That doesn't happen for me.

Or maybe you're being subjected to A/B tests by Google! You never know with websites! It's exciting!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ema Nymton posted:

Firefox's new hardware acceleration is hard on my GPU for some reason, and has made it slow as poo poo for over a month. After trying so many fixes on my PC and updating drivers and BIOS I finally figured out it was the hardware acceleration. I didn't know I needed a killer rig to browse the internet. v:geno:v

EDIT:
Nope! The weird black screens with images on them are back, just as I posted that. :smith: My GPU constantly staying at 53 C probably isn't good.

I've been having so many drat problems with Firefox recently and have come to the conclusion it might be, in part, my graphics card. It's 5 years old and I recently started noticing it was playing up in other areas, too. Weird fan noises, occasionally the screens would go black and the drivers crash, random slowdowns.

I've just ordered a new mid-range card and having Firefox work again would be a huge bonus. Suppose I'll find out in a few days.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What's a good Youtube add-on for making sure youtube doesn't autoplay new videos (but does start loading them) and remember the spot you were on in a video if you close the tab?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Avenging Dentist posted:

Are you sure you don't have a Youtube add-on installed? That doesn't happen for me.

Or maybe you're being subjected to A/B tests by Google! You never know with websites! It's exciting!

It happens since they switched to their stupid html5 player by default after Mozilla put in all the MSE poo poo.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Xander77 posted:

What's a good Youtube add-on for making sure youtube doesn't autoplay new videos (but does start loading them) and remember the spot you were on in a video if you close the tab?

You can try YAYS! and Video Resumer together. Set YAYS to Pause or Auto-Pause, and it'll work. It's a bit clunky, but it'll work. I think. Youtube already remembers when I exit the tab during playback, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Riso posted:

It happens since they switched to their stupid html5 player by default after Mozilla put in all the MSE poo poo.

I'm using the HTML5 player, and as I said, this doesn't happen for me (either logged in or in a private browsing window). Either you've done something to your Firefox installation or Google is using you as a guinea pig.